PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a cyclist

Matthew
06-17-2018, 03:30 PM
I've seen a few threads similar to this but thought I'd give it a go. A spot for a few of my habits, quirks, experiences etc. I like my bolts, screws, headset caps, etc. to be "straight." Like the screws on a Moots head tube badge. I sometimes use regular WD 40 to lube my chain. I tend to go all gorilla when tightening bolts, etc. I've learned the hard way at least a few times. I've helped more than a dozen turtles get across the road before they were goners. I pick up nails, screws and other objects that may puncture bike and car tires. I've removed plenty of trash cans and other debris from the road so drivers don't have to swerve to miss. Hoping it helps bridge the gap between cars and bikes. I sometimes hope for rain so I don't feel pressured to go out for a ride. This is bad but I've bought three wheelsets and a frameset on this forum without the wife knowing! I actually enjoy listening to Paul and Phil call the tour. I remember other riders out on the road by their bikes. I wave to other cyclists no matter what. Regardless of ability or what they ride. I could barely keep a recumbent bike upright the only time I tried one. I've finished dead last in an MTB race but won a state title in a Cat 5 crit! I flip my Speedplay pedals mid ride so one side doesn't wear out faster! Let's see what others on this great forum have to say. Matthew

verticaldoug
06-17-2018, 03:52 PM
After riding segregated cycle super highways for awhile, I now realize we need cars on the roads to make cyclists behave.

Peter P.
06-17-2018, 03:54 PM
I've seen a few threads similar to this but thought I'd give it a go. ...Let's see what others on this great forum have to say. Matthew

I don't have anything to contribute, but that was an enjoyable read. Thanks!

tylercheung
06-17-2018, 04:46 PM
This is similar to another thread I saw for Subaru and Suzuki drivers...

kmac
06-17-2018, 05:05 PM
i'm a tire-pressure junkie

makoti
06-17-2018, 05:11 PM
I hate socks that are fashionable tall. Next up - knee highs!

pobrien
06-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Hi, great post! You should see my electrical outlets, all lined up to TDC!

I started to wave at semi-trailer trucks and larger when they passed me when I cycled on the shoulder of Highway 63 in northern Alberta.

They would come darn close to mowing me down many times (who knows). I thought I would mock them a bit with a wave and then realized the waves were working in that more and more large rigs were cutting into the left lane to not buzz me on the shoulder. The highway is divided with two lanes each way.

I figured some of them appreciated being acknowledged with a courtesy wave and over the course of the first two years I noticed a real improvement in how trucks and some personal vehicles would swing into the left lane while passing.

I still wave at any car or vehicle that makes an effort to give me some clearance as they go by. Most are very nice in Vancouver, at least where I bike on the west side of the city.

I also stop for all of our creatures that wander onto the roads, whether deer or squirrels (crazy animals) or geese (it is Vancouver!).

I stopped waving to cyclists in the city as many are very elitist (or whatever). I give the briefest of nods (like a monk).

Hellgate
06-17-2018, 05:33 PM
I'm a nail magnet...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Matthew
06-17-2018, 07:00 PM
I forgot I also will wave cars along first if I come to a stop sign at the same time. And I will give a wave to cars that let me pass and don't turn in front of me. I figure it can't hurt. Overall my community is pretty decent with sharing the road. Always a jerk or two but not too bad here. Just moved into a new home and noticed our electrician had every outlet cover screw straight up and down when we moved in! Like Moots!

RFC
06-17-2018, 07:41 PM
I am proudly guilty of most of the subjects discussed above, particularly those relating to friendliness to others on the road who do their job.

I do admit to squeezing runners who insist on running in the bike lane when there is a good sidewalk 4 feet away. I was a competitive distance runner for 20 years and would always take the safer option.

I also admit to violating many, if not most, of the 95 rules. For example, I often ride with an old man satchel hanging from my seat and I always wear Aviator sunglasses. I mean, is there a better choice?

91Bear
06-17-2018, 09:46 PM
I still ride Look pedals with delta cleats. They are getting harder to find but they work and I've not found a reason to switch. I bought my first clipless pedals in 1991, the night before the Hotter'n Hell Hundred. I put them on the bike and the first ride was 100 miles. No problems. I guess I got lucky with cleat alignment.
I once stopped and helped a turtle to the other side of the road and he peed on me. No good deed goes unpunished.
I sometimes wish I lived somewhere other than Texas, especially in summer. I am not a morning person but I have to ride in the morning unless I am willing to bake. It's sometimes over 90 degrees before noon and stays that way until well after dark.

soulspinner
06-18-2018, 05:36 AM
Im ocd about my saddle being straight...…………...

paredown
06-18-2018, 05:48 AM
I still ride Look pedals with delta cleats. They are getting harder to find but they work and I've not found a reason to switch. <snip>

I bought up a bunch when people started switching to Keos, and none of them have broken or died on me yet, so I have no reason to switch either...

Lately I've been thinking heretical thoughts about a two bolt cleat commuter shoe for easier walking...

weisan
06-18-2018, 06:06 AM
Much of my early childhood before 12 or 13 was shrouded in issues surrounding obesity, anti-social behavior, insecurity, anger, resentment, ignorance.

I discovered biking when I was 14.

It opened up a whole new world.

The essence of a bike to me is freedom.

Freedom from all the negativity that I mentioned earlier and more...

Freedom to be who I am, to accept what I have.

Freedom to explore my neighborhood and the world that I live in.

Freedom to make new friendship or help another person.

Freedom to explore the limits of physical body.

Freedom to engage in meditation on wheels.

Freedom to share, enjoy and celebrate our diversity and differences.

Freedom to open up my mind and appreciate what is good, beautiful and righteous.

It's not too far-fetched to say, this simple human invention that we call a bike is the solution and the answer to a lot of our problems.

That's the reason why I laugh and take pity at people who rides a bike and still entrapped in the bowels of self deceit, bigotry, narcissism, pride, ego, hatred, materialism.

They have yet to discover the true secret of biking.

oldpotatoe
06-18-2018, 06:40 AM
I've seen a few threads similar to this but thought I'd give it a go. A spot for a few of my habits, quirks, experiences etc. I like my bolts, screws, headset caps, etc. to be "straight." Like the screws on a Moots head tube badge. I sometimes use regular WD 40 to lube my chain. I tend to go all gorilla when tightening bolts, etc. I've learned the hard way at least a few times. I've helped more than a dozen turtles get across the road before they were goners. I pick up nails, screws and other objects that may puncture bike and car tires. I've removed plenty of trash cans and other debris from the road so drivers don't have to swerve to miss. Hoping it helps bridge the gap between cars and bikes. I sometimes hope for rain so I don't feel pressured to go out for a ride. This is bad but I've bought three wheelsets and a frameset on this forum without the wife knowing! I actually enjoy listening to Paul and Phil call the tour. I remember other riders out on the road by their bikes. I wave to other cyclists no matter what. Regardless of ability or what they ride. I could barely keep a recumbent bike upright the only time I tried one. I've finished dead last in an MTB race but won a state title in a Cat 5 crit! I flip my Speedplay pedals mid ride so one side doesn't wear out faster! Let's see what others on this great forum have to say. Matthew

Sounds super normal to me..I do all above except wave at all other cyclists and I don't mind riding in the rain. I kinda felt the same about running until I hurt myself(achilles tendons)..ride on!!
I sometimes hope for rain so I don't feel pressured to go out for a ride

You aren't surgically joined to your bike..it's OK to do something else....:)

parris
06-18-2018, 06:56 AM
Great post. Like others many of the points brought up served to remind me of various things that I tend to do. Helping turtles, stopping to offer help other cyclists, waving at all other cyclists and actually feeling guilty if I'm zoned and don't see them till they've passed. And a big one for me is that ESPECIALLY on the narrow roads I ride is to give a thumbs up and wave vehicles coming up behind me to pass. The way I figure it is that if the driver is having a s****y day and I do this he/she will at least see that not everyone's a jacka$$. I've pretty much gotten to the point where I'm NOT going to be an a**hole unless it's the last possible option because that negative energy just sucks.

Oh just remembered another one is that there's a MUP that I use a fair amount to get to open areas and there's always little kids wobbling on their bikes etc. I always give them a big thumbs up when passing the other way. I also give them and people that may not be as aware a W I D E berth. For me that stretch of my ride is just to get settled in and moving.

Again great post thanks for putting it up :)

RFC
06-18-2018, 07:00 AM
All said is good.:hello:

jemoryl
06-18-2018, 11:08 AM
All my bikes are regular road bikes and I have not much desire to ride on dirt or gravel. Recently I decided to explore some new roads in the Ithaca, NY area and chose to take a road that took me where I wanted to go (Michigan Hollow Rd., if anyone is from that area). After fighting a nasty headwind for most of the first 40 miles, I was finally enjoying a tail wind when the pavement disappeared. OK, nicely packed dirt, I can deal with this on my 25mm tires. After a couple miles, the road has been all graded up, but there is a narrow margin on the left that is barely rideable. Finally, I come to the guy working the road grader and he assures me there is only another mile or so where they are working.

That turned out to be true, but after that point the road continued on, generously covered with golf ball sized gravel, for another three miles. Very slow going, and through a forest with no houses. Luckily, only one car passed me the entire time, as it created a huge dust cloud. Honestly, not my idea of fun.

shoota
06-18-2018, 11:14 AM
All my bikes are regular road bikes and I have not much desire to ride on dirt or gravel. Recently I decided to explore some new roads in the Ithaca, NY area and chose to take a road that took me where I wanted to go (Michigan Hollow Rd., if anyone is from that area). After fighting a nasty headwind for most of the first 40 miles, I was finally enjoying a tail wind when the pavement disappeared. OK, nicely packed dirt, I can deal with this on my 25mm tires. After a couple miles, the road has been all graded up, but there is a narrow margin on the left that is barely rideable. Finally, I come to the guy working the road grader and he assures me there is only another mile or so where they are working.

That turned out to be true, but after that point the road continued on, generously covered with golf ball sized gravel, for another three miles. Very slow going, and through a forest with no houses. Luckily, only one car passed me the entire time, as it created a huge dust cloud. Honestly, not my idea of fun.

Yeah I bet that did suck on a road bike. Now go try it on a proper gravel bike.

jemoryl
06-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Yeah I bet that did suck on a road bike. Now go try it on a proper gravel bike.

TBH, I would not have enjoyed the last few miles on a gravel bike either.

OldCrank
06-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Bless me Velominati for I have sinned.

My socks and bar tape are all wrong. My road helmet might actually be an MTB helmet with the visor yanked off.:no:

I bought a set of dental picks to dig glass shards out of my Michelins before they reach the tube.

I can ride pretty poorly on several types of bike.

cmg
06-18-2018, 01:47 PM
cycling clears my head, some of the best solutions have come during a ride. if it don't rain i'll be doing the Monday night ride. looking forward to it.

pobrien
06-18-2018, 04:19 PM
if it don't rain i'll be doing the Monday night ride

I reckon it is because I have lived and worked in northern parts of BC and Alberta that I think a rainy day is perfectly good for cycling. Few bugs out for one. We had horse flies in northern Alberta, Holy Heck they are vicious. They definitely keep you riding flat out trying to get away!

I would stop when there was snow or ice on the shoulder of the highway. I was usually thankful to stop as it was pretty darn cold by then.

The riding in Vancouver and area is excellent. I ride my Homer Hilson with fenders on rainy days. That is my one concession to rainy days!

Gummee
06-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Hi, great post! You should see my electrical outlets, all lined up to TDC!

I started to wave at semi-trailer trucks and larger when they passed me when I cycled on the shoulder of Highway 63 in northern Alberta.

They would come darn close to mowing me down many times (who knows). I thought I would mock them a bit with a wave and then realized the waves were working in that more and more large rigs were cutting into the left lane to not buzz me on the shoulder. The highway is divided with two lanes each way.

I figured some of them appreciated being acknowledged with a courtesy wave and over the course of the first two years I noticed a real improvement in how trucks and some personal vehicles would swing into the left lane while passing.

I still wave at any car or vehicle that makes an effort to give me some clearance as they go by. Most are very nice in Vancouver, at least where I bike on the west side of the city.

I also stop for all of our creatures that wander onto the roads, whether deer or squirrels (crazy animals) or geese (it is Vancouver!).

I stopped waving to cyclists in the city as many are very elitist (or whatever). I give the briefest of nods (like a monk).I've noticed that more hand signals = safer passing around me.

Yeah, there's still that 1% who are psychotic, but the rest? Mo bettah when they can tell you know they're there and aren't RHUA

M

m4rk540
06-18-2018, 04:56 PM
I no longer wave to Freds. Not because I'm Anti-Fred as I'm convinced that guys who have been riding for 50 years or gals who don't fetishize bike culture are the best. I don't wave to them because they don't wave back. I think they got tired of all the so-called Serious Racers and Hipsters riding their formerly secret roads. Freds are grumpy in these parts.

Bflath
06-18-2018, 05:34 PM
I love my new Roubaix despite the fact that I think it’s ugly.

colker
06-18-2018, 05:42 PM
I never wash my bikes.

Seramount
06-18-2018, 07:02 PM
I never wash my bikes.

neither do I...but they're still very clean.

berserk87
06-18-2018, 07:15 PM
I wear my sunglasses under my helmet straps. I've done it for years and it just feels right.

smontanaro
06-18-2018, 07:37 PM
My confessions:

I always wave to thank drivers when they let me have my right of way.

I try to always be mindful not to take someone else's right of way.

I get really ticked off at cyclists who ride like jerks and make drivers think all cyclists are like that.

Frankwurst
06-18-2018, 07:54 PM
I check my tire pressure with my thumb.
I wear whatever I happen to grab that will keep me warm enough to ride.
I don't ride for exercise.
I ride simply because I like it an it get's my ya ya's out.:beer:

peanutgallery
06-18-2018, 08:05 PM
The last time I rode a road bike, I wore mtb shoes and used spuds. It was a Di2 uber thing that I borrowed

Mikej
06-18-2018, 09:00 PM
I hate dirt on my mtb tires. I scrub them after any dirt rides.

BlueFly
06-18-2018, 09:31 PM
1) I don’t have a trainer.
2) I prefer warm weather to cold but ride in both; see #1
3) Love the fresh air as it blows across my sweaty self; see #2
4) Enjoy the reward of a post ride warm shower; see #3
5) Dislike diesel pickups when they accelerate past me without empathy
6) Enjoy the opportunity to see wildlife and save it when necessary
7) Sometimes i am so disgusted by the amount of litter I stop to collect it
8) Thank you to this forum for all that you bring to enriching the experience

Happy trails!:hello::banana:

bobswire
06-18-2018, 10:13 PM
I forgot I also will wave cars along first if I come to a stop sign at the same time. And I will give a wave to cars that let me pass and don't turn in front of me. I figure it can't hurt. Overall my community is pretty decent with sharing the road. Always a jerk or two but not too bad here. Just moved into a new home and noticed our electrician had every outlet cover screw straight up and down when we moved in! Like Moots!

Ditto!;)

clyde the point
06-19-2018, 06:13 AM
We just moved to Greenville SC and there are a lot more riders than in my former Kompound in Central OH. Live one mile from work so am in the process of converting my fixed into a single speed. Have lots of new rides to explore, and everyone around here seems pretty friendly. I've been riding my bike for 50+ years and still enjoy it mostly. Sometimes I feel driven to suffer and though it's meant to be a soul cleansing, it can be a little painful at times!

charliedid
06-19-2018, 10:39 AM
I confess:

1- If you pull past me and I am solo, say hi and I will return the hello. Have a great ride.

2 - If you pull up to me and ride two abreast and want to talk about my bike, you won't get much from me. If you want to talk bikes while I am mid-ride at a coffee or other stop, happy to chat.

3- If I am solo and you pull up ( I am riding really slow) and feel the need to get in front and "pull me" please don't. I might be 12 miles into an 80 mile ride and doing just fine thank you. I'm riding 80 miles solo by choice. Have a great day.

4- I don't ride with a computer "because I don't want to" but thanks for asking.

5- I've been riding road (and touring) bikes since 1976 and while I don't currently have one I like blue bikes.

6- Nope, my bike is made in Wisconsin not Italy.

7 - Yes, I have seen Breaking Away.

8 - I'm not interested in Tubeless tires. Tubes and I get along just fine. That said, I am flexible and never rule out anything.

9- I rode around Lake Michigan with 80 other kids when I was 14

10 - All my current bikes are mechanical and made of steel. I've owned Ti, carbon and aluminum bikes, one had Di2.

11- My bikes are kept in good working order and are cleaned regularly.

12- I've sold bikes at retail off and on, full and part time for 25 years.

13 - I'm a lousy mechanic. I could be good but I don't care, I'd rather ride em and sell em.

14 - My favorite trip on a bike was New Zeland

15 - I always ask if you need a hand...

16 - I sometimes wave.

17 - I roll through some stop signs but always wait at lights.

18 - If you feel the need to scold me because I have a flashing light on the back, save it. If everything is better ( including bike lights) in Europe go there.

19 - I like hills but hate the wind, and yes I live in Chicago. I find hills where I can.

20 - I don't get overly nostalgic about bikes and sometimes run across a model I previously owned and completely forgot about.

21 - Most of the Triathletes I know can handle their bikes better than many roadies I know.

22 - I eat "nutrition" but prefer real food when available or makes sense.

23 - I could care less who the commentators are for bike races.

24 - Road racing scares the .... out of me.

25 - Never judge a day or a ride, by the weather.