PDA

View Full Version : Shortening ST-RS685 hoses - which end?

henrypretz
06-16-2018, 04:57 PM
I'm going to the Paceline knowledge well once again for help.

I purchased a set of RS685 shifters and disc calipers to instal on my Niner and the hoses are too long for my frame. The rear brake line has the easy fit connection in it, the front does not. I have spare barbs and olives to reconnect, but my question is this: do I cut the hoses at the caliper end or the shifter end (or at the easy joint for the one that uses it)? I have scoured youtube for a definitive vid, but everything I find deals with flat bar systems.

I have zero experience working on hydro discs so any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Henry

p.s. I can take and post pictures if that would help

hummus_aquinas
06-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Installing my set I went for the caliper end. It's an easier area to work at on the bike vs at the handlebars where they were already positioned and ready to wrap after the bleed.

Gummee
06-16-2018, 05:53 PM
If the hoses have barbs and olives at one end and not the other, do the end with the barb and olive.

I don't remember if that brake has em on both ends or not.

Mtn bikes is typically at the lever end.

M

jtakeda
06-16-2018, 06:16 PM
If the hoses have barbs and olives at one end and not the other, do the end with the barb and olive.

I don't remember if that brake has em on both ends or not.

Mtn bikes is typically at the lever end.

M

+1. Cut from the olive and barb end. If i remember correct these use olive and barb

vqdriver
06-16-2018, 06:20 PM
I understood the prevailing reason for trimming the lever end was because it's easier to introduce air into the line at the bottom. Once a bubble gets in it will want to rise, as bubbles are known to do. Then you'd have to bleed the line to get it/them out. Trim the lever end and you can simply top off at the reservoir. Ive not worked on a road lever but thats the theory on mtb anyway.

Plus its easier to work with....

henrypretz
06-18-2018, 11:21 PM
A quick update: I cut the rear line at the easy fit connection. Was able to reuse the barb (no olive on this type of fitting ... super easy to connect)
The front one I cut the caliper end. I did lose a few drops of fluid, but it and the rear both seem to be functioning as advertised. A big dirt ride on Saturday will be the true test.
Thanks to those who replied. It seems that one could shorten either end of the lines and not be doing it wrong. Once again, I appreciate your input.

Henry