PDA

View Full Version : Big Mig....say it ain't so

mjb266
10-23-2006, 09:23 AM
To bring us back to the doping issue:

I was talking to a friend who works with the pro peleton in the U.S. on occasion and had a startling discussion about testing, doping, Floyd, etc. and while the culture and the testing apparatus in Europe both sound corrupt there was one issue that was more interesting than the rest.

He told me that pros in the pepeton know about positive tests that get swept under the table and there is one that was generally "known" by pros involving Big Mig. I hate to spread rumors like this but I know there are some well connected individuals here and I'd like to see if anyone else had heard of this. I was told (third, fifth, maybe fifteenth hand) that the year Big Mig lost his bid for a sixth consecuitive tour he had tested positive for EPO and there was an agreement worked out that if he didn't win the positive results of his tests would not become public. Part of the agreement also involved his retirement.

Now this is one of my favorite riders of all time but a plausible situation. Has anyone heard something similar?

Lets not get into the culture of doping in the peleton...I can go read about that in August's posts.

Big Dan
10-23-2006, 09:27 AM
I remember Miguelon had some allergy problems, like most pro riders do.... :rolleyes:

fstrthnu
10-23-2006, 09:30 AM

I was talking to a friend who works with the pro peleton in the U.S. on occasion and had a startling discussion about testing, doping, Floyd, etc. and while the culture and the testing apparatus in Europe both sound corrupt there was one issue that was more interesting than the rest.

He told me that pros in the pepeton know about positive tests that get swept under the table and there is one that was generally "known" by pros involving Big Mig. I hate to spread rumors like this but I know there are some well connected individuals here and I'd like to see if anyone else had heard of this. I was told (third, fifth, maybe fifteenth hand) that the year Big Mig lost his bid for a sixth consecuitive tour he had tested positive for EPO and there was an agreement worked out that if he didn't win the positive results of his tests would not become public. Part of the agreement also involved his retirement.

Now this is one of my favorite riders of all time but a plausible situation. Has anyone heard something similar?

Lets not get into the culture of doping in the peleton...I can go read about that in August's posts.

That's absurd. Fairy tales imho.

Fstrthnu

Fat Robert
10-23-2006, 09:32 AM
there must have been a time machine they tested him in, cause there was no EPO test in 1996

LegendRider
10-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Indurain's Tour wins (91-95) all took place during the height of the EPO epidemic before the hematocrit limits. Think Gewiss in 1994 - Berzin, Furlan, Ugromov, Bobrik, etc. So, to assume he was clean means that he had more natural talent than EPO-fuelled pros. Seems unlikely.

Big Dan
10-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Checkout the fork on Prudencio's steed.....nice......... :)

J.Greene
10-23-2006, 09:41 AM
LA from the 2005 Podium:
But finally the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics. I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets - this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it.

There is NO doping in procycling, just doped up dogs and eveil chimeric twins atmo.

JG

Frustration
10-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Horse***** rumor mill strikes again... :rolleyes:

chrisroph
10-23-2006, 10:18 AM
There were some similar rumors about carl lewis.

mjb266
10-23-2006, 11:32 AM
The crazy thing to me is the realization of the scale of the corruption that must be involved to make something like a positive test and someone as big as Mig Mig go away.

I may be incorrect on the EPO aspect of the test but the story was a positive test and a early retirement...

taz-t
10-23-2006, 11:45 AM
FWIW: Mig didn't retire after the '96 Tour. He won the Olympic Time Trial a couple of weeks later.

- taz

Ray
10-23-2006, 11:56 AM
...in the hour long radio interview with Lemond that was posted here a couple of months ago he made a pretty strong case that the power numbers that were seen from Tour winners on the mountain stages were waaaaay higher from about '91-'92 through '05 than they'd ever been before, which he attributed to EPO and certainly implicated Mig, as well as Lance, Jan, Pantani, and Riis in this discussion. He was really encouraged that the '06 Tour was clean because the power numbers were back down in the normal 'human' range again, before Floyd's positive test anyway.

I have no idea if what he was saying about the power numbers is correct or not, but maybe some of you folks do. I know a lot of people attribute everything Greg says about doping to sour grapes. Didn't sound like it to me, but I could just be gullible.

-Ray

Fat Robert
10-23-2006, 12:09 PM
its about watt/kilo

lemond and hinault were getting 6.5+ w/k in their great years

indurain went from 6-ish to 6.5+ in three years...possible....

the weird stuff was some guys suddenly hitting 7.0 in the 90s.... 68 kilo riders hitting 500 watts....

William
10-23-2006, 12:09 PM
http://cyberechos.creteil.iufm.fr/cyber8/Sports/cyclisme/indurain.JPG

paulh
10-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Riss!!
Check out this link.
http://www.cycling4fans.de/index.php?id=1424
I don't read German, but according to the table, I think it's saying that everybody had a significant increase in hematocrit level over a 6 month period.

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

Fat Robert
10-23-2006, 12:34 PM
old news

i love riis

he goes from domestique to tour winner in five years, says its all about weight loss and "not knowing how to train while at systeme u"...sure...cyrille guimard didn't tell you anything

cecchini and ferrari...nyuk nyuk...but who cares now...the 90s are so over

Fat Robert
10-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Riss!!
Check out this link.
http://www.cycling4fans.de/index.php?id=1424
I don't read German, but according to the table, I think it's saying that everybody had a significant increase in hematocrit level over a 6 month period.

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

poor santaromita...either he wasn't getting the good dope, or he was doing it all but his body didn't respond to it...must be a pisser to wake up one day and say "i'm totally doing all this s___t, and I *still* suck."

steelrider
10-24-2006, 02:47 AM
Just because the guy is normal sized and not some sawed off half pint. Don't believe the hype.