PDA

View Full Version : Adding a bottle boss on top tube of steel frame?

blantonator
06-14-2018, 03:14 PM
I'd like to add a pair of bottle bosses on the top of a Soma Wolverine for a top tube bag. I know most people will just say no, but is there much risk here?

I could...
A. drill and tap
B. drill and rivnut

Thoughts?

http://www.tririg.com/articles/2015_02_Top_Tube_Storage_Bosses_Tutorial/350/2015_02_Top_Tube_Storage_Bosses_Tutorial_5.jpg

David Kirk
06-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Drilling and tapping has only a super slim chance of working as the tube, even if on the thick side, will be too thin to get any real threads into and it will strip out easily.

Putting rivnuts in will work fine to hold the stuff secure on the top tube. I'd be concerned with putting such big holes (rivnut holes are not small) in such a high stress area. I wouldn't be shocked if it cracked around forward hole in time.

I wonder if you could use straps around the tube?.....not as clean but there's no chance they will lead to a top tube failure.

dave

ptourkin
06-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but check out the two bag that Wolftooth introduced today. A B-Rad secured with zipties will mostly disappear underneath a bag. I think this is a safer choice than trying to tap thin walls and will look cleaner than something like King USBs.

blantonator
06-14-2018, 05:46 PM
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but check out the two bag that Wolftooth introduced today. A B-Rad secured with zipties will mostly disappear underneath a bag. I think this is a safer choice than trying to tap thin walls and will look cleaner than something like King USBs.

:thumbsup: