PDA

View Full Version : Scenic Road Rides (and camping) in Bozeman MT?

brewsmith
06-14-2018, 12:25 PM
My wife and I will be in Bozeman this upcoming Mon-Wed and we are looking for a couple of good, scenic road rides to do while we are there.

Ideally, something in the 20-50 miles range, loops would be great to see as much as possible and mediumish difficulty (we're both capable climbers, but don't want to kill ourselves if we can help it as this is the start of a longer trip).

Also, we have an Airbnb for Monday and Tuesday night but are still looking for a place to camp Sunday. We will be coming up from Denver that day, so if anyone has ideas on cool places to camp along I-90 between Billings and Bozeman, that would be a great help also. Thanks in advance Paceline!

Clean39T
06-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Don't have any suggestions, but I do hope you take pics and do a write-up!

I'm thinking about a road trip to Bozeman for some riding and big-sky viewing...plus, a Kirk visit...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

brewsmith
06-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Don't have any suggestions, but I do hope you take pics and do a write-up!

I'm thinking about a road trip to Bozeman for some riding and big-sky viewing...plus, a Kirk visit...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I certainly will!

David Kirk
06-14-2018, 03:28 PM
I'd stop in Bangtail bikes on Main Street. As I recall they had maps of local rides for out-of-towners to hand out. They are top shelf people and will steer you right.

If you want to camp at a cool spot with some wonderful views you should consider camping at the Hyalite Reservoir. It's highish at 7200' but the views are great and it should be cool enough that the bugs won't be bad (we've had a wet spring so we are having a buggy time in the valley right now). The ride up to Hyalite is one of the iconic rides here. It's a 10 mile climb but it's never all that steep and there are plenty of pull outs if you want to sit on the top tube for a minute or two.

dave

choke
06-14-2018, 05:50 PM
A few years ago I spent a couple of nights at Battle Ridge Campground. It was nice and quiet and located close to town. I didn't do any riding on pavement but I did find a nice gravel road just a 1/4 mile or so away.

http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/bozem2.jpg

HenryA
06-14-2018, 06:55 PM
If you have time, go across Wyoming to Cody, then 296 to 212 (Beartooth Highway) to Roscoe, Absorokee to I 90 then on over to Bozeman. You will thank me for this.

Check to be sure the road is open!

Mr. Pink
06-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Carl Strong is a busy man, but maybe he can help after an email.

I was just there this winter to ski. You can't go wrong biking up to Bridger Bowl and back from downtown (good bars at the end) or driving up to the Big Sky access road intersection and climbing up to the resort base and back, or maybe, from the same spot, south through a little sliver of northwest Yellowstone park and back. Pretty. Everything is pretty there. May be a lot more crowded in summertime, though.

This would be a good parking lot to start, and, then, of course, end your ride, because it's an awesome cheap place to eat, with great views of a wildlife refuge and local waitresses who are so charming.

http://gallatinriverhousegrill.com

David Kirk
06-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Carl Strong is a busy man, but maybe he can help after an email.

I was just there this winter to ski. You can't go wrong biking up to Bridger Bowl and back from downtown (good bars at the end) or driving up to the Big Sky access road intersection and climbing up to the resort base and back, or maybe, from the same spot, south through a little sliver of northwest Yellowstone park and back. Pretty. Everything is pretty there. May be a lot more crowded in summertime, though.

This would be a good parking lot to start, and, then, of course, end your ride, because it's an awesome cheap place to eat, with great views of a wildlife refuge and local waitresses who are so charming.

http://gallatinriverhousegrill.com

Actually - I would recommend against riding from town up and back on Bridger Canyon. It used to be a fun ride but there is too much traffic going too fast and checking their phones too often. Combine that with a very narrow section of road leaving town without a shoulder and a guard rail right on the white line and it's a good place to get hit. And...to cap it off there's rumble strip on much of it making it hard to find a place to ride without being in the flow of traffic.

Much better is to leave then downtown area and ride out the frontage road to Kelly Canyon road. This will take you up a longish climb with just a few stiff sections and put you pretty high with a great view of the Bridgers. Take this down into Bridger canyon and turn north on Jackson Creek road (short stiff climb) and ride it as an out-and-back (take it to where it meets I90). There's no traffic and the views are to die for.

Once back down at Bridger Canyon go south (left) and take the road back down into Bozeman. Bridger Canyon is much better going in this direction as there's a shoulder all the way and no guard rail to get squeezed into.

It's confusing I know but the Bridger Canyon road leaving town is dangerous but that same road coming back into town is pretty good.

I hope that helps.

dave

Mr. Pink
06-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Hey, you should know better than me. I was driving an old Subaru in winter.

Pretty place.

nesteel
06-15-2018, 12:02 AM
My wife and I will be in Bozeman this upcoming Mon-Wed and we are looking for a couple of good, scenic road rides to do while we are there.

Ideally, something in the 20-50 miles range, loops would be great to see as much as possible and mediumish difficulty (we're both capable climbers, but don't want to kill ourselves if we can help it as this is the start of a longer trip).

Also, we have an Airbnb for Monday and Tuesday night but are still looking for a place to camp Sunday. We will be coming up from Denver that day, so if anyone has ideas on cool places to camp along I-90 between Billings and Bozeman, that would be a great help also. Thanks in advance Paceline!

Go to Livingston, find the chamber of commerce and get directions to Pine Creek Campground south of town in the Paradise Valley. Great views. One of my favorites during my teen years.
East River Road is also a nice ride, as is highway 89 through the valley. Trail Creek Road, from Paradise Valley over to the I-90 just east of Bozeman is a terrific ride, if you ride gravel.