PDA

View Full Version : Remember your first 'real' bike? now buy a truck

MattTuck
06-13-2018, 08:44 PM
Not sure if this was already discussed. I find this whole commercial ludicrous.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dd9T/2018-gmc-sierra-real-truck

The guy is the definition of squirrelly.

I could venture a guess as to what the ven diagram looks like of people who had a real bike, and that want to buy a GMC truck. It is not large. Is this really the segment they want to go after? I mean, I could imagine mountain bikes maybe... or maybe they should have just stuck with the first bike as a kid.

jumphigher
06-13-2018, 08:58 PM
That is the weirdest commercial, i've seen it several times on TV and cant wrap my head around it. The guy in it is riding like nobody I've ever seen who actually rides. It looks really weird and forced. How hard can it be to find someone who actually rides for a presumably reasonably high budget commercial?

beeatnik
06-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Hollywood is so weird.

Marc40a
06-13-2018, 10:08 PM
I just watched it without sound. Scary as hell.

It looked like the truck was going to run him down.

That type of vehicle traveling at speed is one of the last things I want to see on the road while I’m riding.

Add heavy machinery and large sedans with seniors driving to that list, too.

CaptStash
06-13-2018, 11:40 PM
I fit in the ven diagram:banana: I drive a long bed extra cab Chevy Silverado.

CaptStash....

cadence90
06-14-2018, 12:00 AM
.... ..

false_Aest
06-14-2018, 12:46 AM
successfully made me not want to buy a GMC.

pdmtong
06-14-2018, 01:09 AM
I'm still milking my 2001 suburban...and riding.
what's not to like?

Clean39T
06-14-2018, 01:44 AM
My wife rolls her eyes and giggles at me every time this commercial plays...

I think she thinks that's what I do on my road bike :no:

Come on babe, this is me on a bike:

http://oldsite.uci.ch/images/watson/tdf98/stage_16_98.jpg

All day every day.

cadence90
06-14-2018, 02:23 AM
.... ..

Cicli
06-14-2018, 03:26 AM
My wife rolls her eyes and giggles at me every time this commercial plays...

I think she thinks that's what I do on my road bike :no:

Come on babe, this is me on a bike:

http://oldsite.uci.ch/images/watson/tdf98/stage_16_98.jpg

All day every day.

I did not know you rode a Bianchi.

mcteague
06-14-2018, 06:14 AM
Don't think I have ever seen a truck with a road bike in back, mt bikes sure, but not a road bike. Not sure their market research is on point here.

Tim

RFC
06-14-2018, 06:28 AM
LOL!! I am so happy to wake up to this thread. I saw the commercial last night. Madison Avenue Fantasy. Almost as bad as Matthew McConaughey and "Deep Thoughts."

fellowpicker
06-14-2018, 07:42 AM
Yep, I need that 6 liter twin turbo diesel mofo to haul my 14lb bike over to the hill.

Hilltopperny
06-14-2018, 07:46 AM
Awful commercial, but I do drive a crew cab Silverado and it is a great bike hauler as well as a great truck. I do throw my road/gravel/mountain bikes in the bed if it’s nice out and I can easily fit my bikes in the cab if it isn’t.

Believe me when I say that the roads out in this part of the state are so rough that they require a solid vehicle. They are rutted with potholes in spring and covered in snow in the winter. A 4wd or awd is necessary once conditions turn.

I think that marketing and advertising is like a Jedi mind trick. It only works on those whose minds function on a lower plane. That being said, trucks have a purpose and if you rehab properties like I do it is necessary tool and I’m glad I have one. However, I do not need a commercial to tell me how I’ll feel about one and I still enjoy my bikes more than my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colker
06-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Somebody needs to montage that completely squirrelly GMC tripe with the equally squirrelly Chevy guy tripe with the equally squirrelly Lincoln MKC Matthew McConaughey tripe in a three-way "wanna-be macho but way too squirrelly to be" face-off, the squirrelly, the squirrelly, and the squirrelly.

Preferably hold the showdown someplace incredibly barren, where even super-squirrelly Verizon wanker can't get a signal, so we never have to hear from any of them ever again.

Good post.

Jad
06-14-2018, 08:11 AM
These are real times, and I like that this non-descript real adult man has steely resolve regardless of context. Whether he is awkwardly sprinting on his adult bicycle or quickly and firmly putting on his seatbelt, he is decisive. This has to do with trucks!

GregL
06-14-2018, 08:14 AM
Hollywood is so weird.
Back in 1987, two of my co-workers were "extras" in the movie "Wall Street." They (and one of the Lockheed JetStars I flew) were very briefly in a scene filmed at Newark Airport (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrGvp1tET_Q). They were asked for their union cards before filming. They laughed and said they were pilots, not actors. No problem, said the guy from the production company - we'll just have some actors taxi your jet. The captain, a very crusty combat veteran, nearly took the production guys head off. The production company paid for the pilots to join the actors' union and the filming went on as scheduled...

Greg

Mr. Pink
06-14-2018, 08:34 AM
Don't think I have ever seen a truck with a road bike in back, mt bikes sure, but not a road bike. Not sure their market research is on point here.

Tim

Yeah. I've always said, the only reason I'd buy a pickup is if I mountain bike a lot. Just put the dirty thing in the back, and you can just spray it down when you get back home while it's still in there. But, I don't mtb. So, I won't.

cmg
06-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Tim

a south Texas constant on any of the club rides.

72gmc
06-14-2018, 08:49 AM
guess I can't hide that I drive a GMC truck (that's 46 years old)

that guy doesn't know what he is doing on a bike

but that's not as bad as needing a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 SLT Premium Plus to haul just one bike and just one butt

Red Tornado
06-14-2018, 10:47 AM

Tim

I transport BOTH my mtb and road bikes in the bed of my (daily driven) truck. Fork goes in the clamp that's mounted to the 2X6 in the bed. I fail to see the problem here. Actually adds a layer of protection for the bike being inside the bed.

However I don't climb like the guy in the commercial. I'm much, much slower and don't typically use the drops going uphill. :cool:

MattTuck
06-14-2018, 10:51 AM
I transport BOTH my mtb and road bikes in the bed of my (daily driven) truck. Fork goes in the clamp that's mounted to the 2X6 in the bed. I fail to see the problem here. Actually adds a layer of protection for the bike being inside the bed.
However I don't climb like the guy in the commercial. I'm much slower and don't typically use the drops going uphill.

I don't think there is a problem with driving a truck. To each his (or her) own. My observation was that adult cycling that involve 'a real bike' is (at best) a niche sport. And it is just a small demographic to go after in trying to sell ANY vehicle, except for maybe the VW sportwagen :)

mktng
06-14-2018, 10:54 AM
id love a truck

Red Tornado
06-14-2018, 10:58 AM
I don't think there is a problem with driving a truck. To each his (or her) own. My observation was that adult cycling that involve 'a real bike' is (at best) a niche sport. And it is just a small demographic to go after in trying to sell ANY vehicle, except for maybe the VW sportwagen :)
No worries, just misunderstood the post. I see where you're coming from now & agree.

azrider
06-14-2018, 11:05 AM
whoa......keep rubber down there buddy :p

https://media.giphy.com/media/8gQYyl4aA3OTXrFnho/giphy.gif

sitzmark
06-14-2018, 12:52 PM
First, the fact that someone - ANYONE - paid attention to this ad is a "win" for GMC and the ad agency. The first hurdle an ad must overcome is being ignored, so someone stopping to take notice, good, bad, or indifferent is a win from a marketer's perspective. "Stopping power" as it's called. Until that happens there is no active channel of communication.

I had a bike as a child. I have had serval bikes as an adult. My father was a GM exec. Three relevant links and quite honestly I never noticed this ad before it was posted to Paceline. Now I notice it. Much thanks for that. :rolleyes:

The message of the ad is:

First bike = Toy. First "real" bike=Tool
Any truck before the GMC whatever=Toy. New GMC="Real truck"/Tool.

Ad really has nothing to do with cycling other than they chose a bike as the metaphor to carry the message. There might be better metaphors, but hundreds of millions of people had a bike as a child. Millions upon millions of adults have a "real" bike in the garage now. Of course "real bike" means something completely different to the average person than it does to a Paceliner. Even a Walmart, Costco, or other (sub)entry-level multi-geared bike is sufficiently different from a first bike to illustrate the point. Potential relatable market for the ad from that perspective is very large. There may also be a connection with cycling's big event - maybe a block of advertising purchased on NBC to air during the TdF - so cycling related ad content seemed appropriate for the time??

Mr. Stage-winning Wannabe ... over-dramatization is a hallmark of advertising, is it not. It's just what they do. (To regurgitate branding dialogue from another non-related ad campaign.) I'm going to do my best to forget I ever saw this ad.....:banana: and really hope I'm wrong about it being replayed over and over during July.

jumphigher
06-14-2018, 03:31 PM
First, the fact that someone - ANYONE - paid attention to this ad is a "win" for GMC and the ad agency. The first hurdle an ad must overcome is being ignored, so someone stopping to take notice, good, bad, or indifferent is a win from a marketer's perspective. "Stopping power" as it's called. Until that happens there is no active channel of communication.

I had a bike as a child. I have had serval bikes as an adult. My father was a GM exec. Three relevant links and quite honestly I never noticed this ad before it was posted to Paceline. Now I notice it. Much thanks for that. :rolleyes:

Ad really has nothing to do with cycling other than they chose a bike as the metaphor to carry the message. There might be better metaphors, but hundreds of millions of people had a bike as a child. Millions upon millions of adults have a "real" bike in the garage now. Of course "real bike" means something completely different to the average person than it does to a Paceliner. Even a Walmart, Costco, or other (sub)entry-level multi-geared bike is sufficiently different from a first bike to illustrate the point. Potential relatable market for the ad from that perspective is very large. There may also be a connection with cycling's big event - maybe a block of advertising purchased on NBC to air during the TdF - so cycling related ad content seemed appropriate for the time??

Mr. Stage-winning Wannabe ... over-dramatization is a hallmark of advertising, is it not. It's just what they do. (To regurgitate branding dialogue from another non-related ad campaign.) I'm going to do my best to forget I ever saw this ad.....:banana: and really hope I'm wrong about it being replayed over and over during July.

I dont think anyone 'missed the point', The discussion - unless I've misunderstood - is that it's a DUMB commercial.

Btw I'm not personally a believer in your theory that ads are a win for a company even if they're considered bad (or in this case, terrible). People can use the notice they took of something they thought was stupid, and vow never to buy the product. That wouldnt seem to help the company much..

Seramount
06-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Don't think I have ever seen a truck with a road bike in back...

you must have never traveled in TX. not an uncommon sight at all...

often see a guy in my area hauling his Cervelo (with aero bars) in a mongo-huge diesel 4x4 Dodge Ram crew-cab dualie...

kinda humorous seeing that I can get TWO bikes in my RSX.

HenryA
06-14-2018, 03:57 PM
It should be obvious that the ad is targeted at some other demographic than the majority of the posters in this thread. It is aimed at aspirational buyers who are being convinced that a shiny new truck should be their next purchase. Economy is good, higher pay is good and a new toy is gooder.

Y’all get back in your Priuses and VWs and clear the way for a real man in a real truck. ;)

cadence90
06-14-2018, 04:16 PM
.... ..

cadence90
06-14-2018, 04:16 PM
.... ..

unterhausen
06-14-2018, 05:33 PM
when I need a pickup, I rent one. $60k+ ahead so far.

mcteague
06-14-2018, 05:47 PM
you must have never traveled in TX. not an uncommon sight at all...

often see a guy in my area hauling his Cervelo (with aero bars) in a mongo-huge diesel 4x4 Dodge Ram crew-cab dualie...

kinda humorous seeing that I can get TWO bikes in my RSX.

I live in Maryland. In my experience, big pickup trucks are always the most likely vehicle to pass too close and floor it just as they come by. Not all of them, to be honest, but I am always amazed at how often they are the culprit.

Tim

azrider
06-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Hey while we’re on the topic of trucks, does anyone know why 94.7% of all pickup drivers insist on backing into their parking spots?? :p

.....it’s a rhetorical question.

ERK55
06-14-2018, 07:10 PM

Now that must be a silly sight.

stien
06-14-2018, 07:22 PM
Hey while we’re on the topic of trucks, does anyone know why 94.7% of all pickup drivers insist on backing into their parking spots

I drive an 8’ bed tundra a few days a month. Try backing that into a busy parking lot once and you’ll see why.

ntb1001
06-14-2018, 07:37 PM
Hey while we’re on the topic of trucks, does anyone know why 94.7% of all pickup drivers insist on backing into their parking spots?? :p

Because it’s easier to pull out of the spot when you’re leaving.

Steve in SLO
06-14-2018, 07:37 PM
I agree it is kind of a dumb commercial, HOWEVER:
For every driver who passes me on the road who seen that commercial and is thinking "Hmm, that guy is just like that guy on the GMC commercial. I wonder if he owns one?", I feel just a bit safer because they may think I am more like them.

cadence90
06-14-2018, 08:26 PM
.... ..

smead
06-14-2018, 08:37 PM
Our local Dodge truck dealer airs ads with a big bass voiced man essentially challenging you - are you man enough to come in here and buy a $50,000 RAAAAAMMMM truck - come on, are you!? Man up! Hoblit Dodge for those in the area ..

Over the years I've had other males in my family jibe me about my '87 yota - when are you going to get a real man's truck? They've all been through 3-4 trucks in that period while my kiddy truck keeps on rollin. Hauls my road bike nicely too.

madsciencenow
06-14-2018, 10:25 PM
I dont think anyone 'missed the point', The discussion - unless I've misunderstood - is that it's a DUMB commercial.

Btw I'm not personally a believer in your theory that ads are a win for a company even if they're considered bad (or in this case, terrible). People can use the notice they took of something they thought was stupid, and vow never to buy the product. That wouldnt seem to help the company much..

I’ll raise my hand and say I couldn’t figure out what the heck the point was and agree it’s a dumb commercial in a long line of dumb Chevy commercials that makes me, much like the Verizon guy does with his network, never want to own a GMC truck.

I used to actual think about maybe switching to Verizon b/c their network does seem better based on comparing my work phone (Verizon) to my ATT phone but after the add campaigns with this guy that seem to never end and get dumber with each new iteration I’ve pretty much sworn off Verizon for my personal phone forever.

MattTuck
06-14-2018, 10:39 PM
I used to actual think about maybe switching to Verizon b/c their network does seem better based on comparing my work phone (Verizon) to my ATT phone but after the add campaigns with this guy that seem to never end and get dumber with each new iteration I’ve pretty much sworn off Verizon for my personal phone forever.

I hope you don't have sprint, because that verizon guy is now a shill for Sprint :)

bigbill
06-14-2018, 10:48 PM

Because I've got a rear view camera and beeping sensors so I can get further back in the spot to keep front end out of traffic. And I've done it all over Scottsdale. Now I'm looking at a job in Kingman, that's F250 territory.

oliver1850
06-14-2018, 11:11 PM
I'm not feeling the hate. Biggest issue for me with the commercial is that it isn't a "real truck". Real trucks have 2 doors and an 8' bed (minimum).

Asudef
06-14-2018, 11:15 PM
I saw the commercial as well and was thrown off by it.

Whenever I think car commercials and bicycles, this always comes to mind. (https://youtu.be/ymeseAJqKAE?t=10m39s)

cadence90
06-14-2018, 11:26 PM
.... ..

muz
06-14-2018, 11:43 PM
We are up to 4 pages and nobody has pointed out that the guy is wearing a Rapha jersey ?! :confused:

72gmc
06-15-2018, 06:45 AM
We are up to 4 pages and nobody has pointed out that the guy is wearing a Rapha jersey ?! :confused:

... in just the right size for someone involved with the production (creative director, client)

mcteague
06-15-2018, 07:44 AM
Because it’s easier to pull out of the spot when you’re leaving.

Well, I guess that makes up for the much harder task of backing in. Seems to me the chances of a fender bender are much greater backing in than pulling out. I used to see signs telling people not to back into spots. Don't see them any more. Guess lot management just gave up.

More hijacking: why do so many people warm up their cars when it is not even cold out? Even when freezing it makes not sense.

Tim

oldpotatoe
06-15-2018, 08:09 AM

Tim

Really?

MattTuck
06-15-2018, 09:02 AM
Fellas, I am so lost right now....

Which Verizon dweeb are you two talking about? :confused:

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r654/traghetter/gmcdweebs_zpsv9hj92hq.jpg (http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/traghetter/media/gmcdweebs_zpsv9hj92hq.jpg.html)

ahhh, well played. I associate the "verizon guy" as the "can you hear me now?" guy... guess there's a new sheriff in town.

MattTuck
06-15-2018, 09:10 AM
whoa......keep rubber down there buddy :p

https://media.giphy.com/media/8gQYyl4aA3OTXrFnho/giphy.gif

Thanks for that :)

Good points, especially if it turns out it was meant to air during the TDF.

I'd disagree though that it is a win for GMC. Yes, grabbing the attention is good, but a win would be a pivot to discussing how good the actual product is. But then again, there are some car commercials that illustrate just how shallow and insecure the car companies think we are. (I'm thinking of the mall terrain vs. all terrain toyota commercial)

Gummee
06-15-2018, 09:17 AM

.....it’s a rhetorical question.In my case(s) it's because the turning circle is better backing in.

M

54ny77
06-15-2018, 09:19 AM
is that lawrence welk i hear in the background? because this thread sounds like a knitting convention with a bunch of bitching & moaning old ladies. damn!

it's a truck commercial featuring a cyclist. heck, just the fact that something like that got done is a minor miracle. someone up high in the ad co. or gmc must ride or be a fan.

:banana:

cadence90
06-15-2018, 11:54 AM
.... ..

54ny77
06-15-2018, 01:06 PM
any self respecting crotchety crocheter of course has needles de carbon fibre!

https://yarn-cdn-weblinc.netdna-ssl.com/product_images/knitters-pride-karbonz-single-point-needle-set-10/579fa38769702d366f0315e1/zoom.jpg?c=1471567341

This post proves beyond the shadow of a doubt what has only been previously rumored:

That frustrated single angry old man NY crocheters really despise a bunch of bitching & moaning old lady knitters, with an outrage and vituperation bordering on the feral.

Remember,
http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/14/0_initiatives/init/winter00/images/tinybub.gif

;)

sfghbiker
06-15-2018, 01:08 PM
my tacoma regularly drives around my road bikes, cross bikes and even on occasion my mountain bike in the bed of the truck. I love having a truck. It feels nothing at all to me like biking. This is a super weird commercial.

sitzmark
06-15-2018, 01:21 PM

It's a commercial ... of course it's dumb. They all are. It just isn't about cycling.

cadence90
06-15-2018, 01:29 PM
.... ..

54ny77
06-15-2018, 01:45 PM
No, I load some darned yarn into my diesel dually and head off to the Golden Corral for some breakfast buffet.

Très impressive, I must say.

So...you crochet with those bad-ass muthas, because they're lighter, more compliant, etc etc etc; then you load them and the work into the back of your new 2018 GMC Sierra truck; and then you haul ass off like a macho squirrel out of hell to the Saturday crochet brunch munch?

Nice!

;)

sparky33
06-15-2018, 02:50 PM
Cycling is the new golf, and a truck is the new sportscar. Fancy bikes and fancy trucks are now where it is at for Joe successful. There you have it.

Wilkinson4
06-15-2018, 05:27 PM
I just saw this commercial and was like WTH did I just see. That guy in a mass start, no thanks. My nephew at 3yo held a better line. Then, I come here and there is already a thread:) Still curious tho, does the truck plane?

ps. My all time favorite commercial with a bike has to be the Boost Mobile one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jtUFc0fM4

Mike