PDA

View Full Version : Bike Lock Recommendations - - - Follow Up!

exapkib
06-12-2018, 05:06 PM
tl;dr: I'm looking for recommendations for a light, strong lock to use when commuting. Tigr? Folding bike lock? Knog Bouncer? Ideally something lighter than a full-sized U-lock.

Backstory:

I've been a committed bike commuter for several years now. While my commute is a short one, I'm proud of the fact that I've ridden in every day for the past six years. (More accurately, it's been six years since I drove in to campus. Heavy snowstorms have led to me walking in a handful of times over the years.)

During this time, I have used a Kryptonite U-lock. Up until now, I have always left my lock on the rack by my building. Yesterday, I arrived on campus to discover that the campus police had cut and removed my lock. Apparently, the Campus Traffic Committee recently began enforcing a policy that I didn't know about prohibiting locks left unattended on the racks. C'est la vie.

Now I need a new lock, one that will be less cumbersome than the Kryptonite for carrying back and forth each day. Suggestions?

I'm most drawn to something like the Tigr lock (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS44H58/?tag=popularmechanics_auto-append-20&ascsubtag=[artid|10060.g.3032[src|[ch|), but it's expensive. What else are you folks using happily for locking up?

Thanks!

Louis
06-12-2018, 05:22 PM
This doesn't answer your question, but it is worth explaining to them why allowing people to keep their locks on the stands on campus is very helpful to riders, and will make it more likely for people to ride bikes instead of driving cars?

Seems to me that preventing people from doing that is quite short-sighted.

pobrien
06-12-2018, 05:31 PM
I think ABUS make a nice folding lock (segmented) for secure parking. I also like the Ottolock (flexible steel/rubber coated band) though not high security.

For campus during daytime, I would hope the Ottolock would do. That is what I have been looking at for coffee stops and the like.

exapkib
06-12-2018, 05:33 PM
This doesn't answer your question, but it is worth explaining to them why allowing people to keep their locks on the stands on campus is very helpful to riders, and will make it more likely for people to ride bikes instead of driving cars?

Seems to me that preventing people from doing that is quite short-sighted.

I feel the same way. I was not able to convince the good people at campus police of my opinion. I have scheduled a meeting with the Traffic Committee, and will work to prepare a more persuasive argument.

bikinchris
06-12-2018, 05:53 PM
Carrying a heavy lock will reduce the attractiveness of riding a bike. Which could result in an increase in cars parking and causing congestion on the roads as well as causing people to not find legal parking spaces.

Maybe they could sell permit stickers for locks? That way, you could leave the lock and they know it hasn't been abandoned?

Or better yet, allow bicycle LOCKERS that could be rented, thus making money for them!

false_Aest
06-12-2018, 06:09 PM
abus folding lock.

DONE.

fiamme red
06-12-2018, 06:52 PM
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

BobbyJones
06-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Which ABUS folding lock are you guys suggesting. Looks like quite a range.

VoyTirando
06-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Use them daily here in brooklyn on my nice but rough looking steel Ciocc commuter. The lock is a small heavy object but it disappears in whatever bag I'm carrying. It's too small for a their to get a pry bar into and so far works.

charliedid
06-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Abus Bordo 6000

false_Aest
06-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Abus Bordo 6000

Yes. Absolutely

fiamme red
06-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Abus Bordo 6000https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

ABUS Folding Lock Bordo Granit X-Plus: The design of this lock and mounting bracket makes it by far the nicest lock to carry, as it folds very compact and transports rattle-free in its frame-mounted case. It is, however, not a high-security lock as claimed, and a thief can easily defeat it by drilling out the unhardened pins that hold the links together. With enough patience I was also able to pop the links apart by working large bolt cutters into the joints, as House of Chain demonstrates on a smaller version of the Folding Lock Bordo in this video. It would be okay for low-crime areas, but the price is too high relative to the level of protection it provides.

exapkib
06-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Love the form factor of that ABUS.

The same time, the light weight and beautiful design of the TiGr give me pause. I'm not picking up in a high crime area, so I think either would be enough of a deterrent.

charliedid
06-12-2018, 09:34 PM
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

All bike locks are able to be defeated with the right tools, time and know-how.

I think the Bordo 6000 (not even the Granit-X) still represents a convenient and strong solution. Also, if in a high target area two locks are better than one.

Louis
06-12-2018, 10:16 PM
I've been a committed bike commuter for several years now. While my commute is a short one, I'm proud of the fact that I've ridden in every day for the past six years.

Three seemingly unrelated questions: (bear with me)

1) How short is "short?"

2) Are you in pretty good shape?

3) Are most stolen bicycles ridden away by the thief?

How about if you remove the commuter's saddle (edit: and seatpost) and ride it in like that?

If you can handle that distance without sitting, and thieves are deterred, you might be able to get away with using a less-secure lock. (and get some hard-core miles in to boot)

(easy for me to propose, I won't be the one riding without a saddle)

slowpoke
06-12-2018, 10:36 PM
Yesterday, I arrived on campus to discover that the campus police had cut and removed my lock. Apparently, the Campus Traffic Committee recently began enforcing a policy that I didn't know about prohibiting locks left unattended on the racks. C'est la vie.

You're much more zen about it than I would be. That sort of rack cleaning It should be something done at the end of every semester, but not on a regular basis. Can you band together with other bike commuters to change the rule?

Otherwise, depending on where the school is, you probably can get by with the Abus folding lock. I would avoid the Tigr just because of its cost (unless the Bordo is about the same price).

Also, have you thought about putting a rack on your bike? You could then attach the u-lock that (and also take any bags off). I'd still fight the new rules, though.

Asudef
06-12-2018, 11:41 PM
I was debating getting one of these (https://ottodesignworks.com) just to keep honest people honest.

Its basically a glorified ziptie but looks compact and light enough to carry all the time and doesn't fall apart at a sneeze.

Edit: I also used to work at a school and I've had one instance where someone locked their bike to mine on the rack. I think they were hoping I'd be exasperated and walk home so they can come in the middle of the night to steal it but security helped me issue a PA and though I didn't see anyone leave the building, the lock miraculously disappeared.

exapkib
06-12-2018, 11:42 PM
Three seemingly unrelated questions: (bear with me)

1) How short is "short?"

2) Are you in pretty good shape?

3) Are most stolen bicycles ridden away by the thief?

How about if you remove the commuter's saddle (edit: and seatpost) and ride it in like that?

If you can handle that distance without sitting, and thieves are deterred, you might be able to get away with using a less-secure lock. (and get some hard-core miles in to boot)

(easy for me to propose, I won't be the one riding without a saddle)

I like your thinking. I could definitely pull this off, but I might take modify the plan a little bit, simply removing the seatpost and saddle each day. Honestly, though, the risk in this area probably does not warrant the effort. I've (accidentally) left my bike unlocked at the rack in question more than once, and I haven't lost it yet.

You're much more zen about it than I would be. That sort of rack cleaning It should be something done at the end of every semester, but not on a regular basis. Can you band together with other bike commuters to change the rule?

Oh, there's definitely been some anger and frustration involved in this process. At this point, though, the old lock is gone, the bureaucracy is what it is, and I need to move forward. I have scheduled conversations with the involved committees, but I do not see change coming quickly.

Otherwise, depending on where the school is, you probably can get by with the Abus folding lock. I would avoid the Tigr just because of its cost (unless the Bordo is about the same price).

Also, have you thought about putting a rack on your bike? You could then attach the u-lock that (and also take any bags off). I'd still fight the new rules, though.

My preliminary search indicates the following:

Bordo Granit 6500 - - - ~$90 (from an unfamiliar Spanish site, most places are more like $180)
Tigr Mini+ - - - ~$135

Thanks to all who have chimed in here--I appreciate the support.

Decisions . . .

exapkib
06-12-2018, 11:46 PM
I was debating getting one of these (https://ottodesignworks.com) just to keep honest people honest.

Its basically a glorified ziptie but looks compact and light enough to carry all the time and doesn't fall apart at a sneeze.

Now that is very intriguing. If it was a key lock instead of a combination, I would probably be buying one now.

I'm going to have to think about this one. The risk is low enough in the spot that I lock up (even though I did use the trigger word "campus") that I think this just might be enough of a deterrent . . .

weisan
06-13-2018, 03:56 AM
Now that is very intriguing. If it was a key lock instead of a combination, I would probably be buying one now.

I'm going to have to think about this one. The risk is low enough in the spot that I lock up (even though I did use the trigger word "campus") that I think this just might be enough of a deterrent . . .

I have one, ordered during their Kickstarter campaign. I only use it for quick trips to the store to lock up the bike on the rack or outside. It's very lightweight and portable and comes with a strap that easily attaches to any tube of your choosing on the bike. I don't usually carry it around, just leave it inside my glove box and take it out on occasions mentioned above.

No locks can beat a determined thief with the right tool. I use this lock for short stops and to protect against theft opportunists.

I have only used it a handful of times and not exposed to much weather or outside so I can't comment on its long term durability.

For what it's intended, it works.

exapkib
06-13-2018, 09:48 AM
I have one, ordered during their Kickstarter campaign. I only use it for quick trips to the store to lock up the bike on the rack or outside. It's very lightweight and portable and comes with a strap that easily attaches to any tube of your choosing on the bike. I don't usually carry it around, just leave it inside my glove box and take it out on occasions mentioned above.

No locks can beat a determined thief with the right tool. I use this lock for short stops and to protect against theft opportunists.

I have only used it a handful of times and not exposed to much weather or outside so I can't comment on its long term durability.

I'm more and more drawn to this--what length do you have? The racks at my building are more or less like these:

http://www.fashionatclick.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Best-Bike-Parking-Rack-H76F-About-Remodel-Stylish-Home-Design-Style-with-Bike-Parking-Rack.jpg

Would a 30" Otto be long enough to get through the rack and the frame?

tuxbailey
06-13-2018, 09:52 AM

This looks nice for those long ride where I need to stop by the 7-11 for snacks and rest room break.

AngryScientist
06-13-2018, 09:57 AM
i've ridden with a snowboard lock several times just to stop opportunistic crime at convenience stores, etc.

cheap and work fine.

https://www.rei.com/media/4d51e9d1-dd23-45da-bc1a-c1fa66b455f6?size=784x588

weisan
06-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Would a 30" Otto be long enough to get through the rack and the frame?

Yes, I do have the 30" version and I think it will most likely fit. If you want to be 100% certain, you can use a tape measure to wrap around as a test..

juliussharpe
06-13-2018, 12:09 PM
I have the Tigr, very light and nice, used it around LA and no problems yet. Way better than riding around with the chain lock I used to carry.

exapkib
06-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Yes, I do have the 30" version and I think it will most likely fit. If you want to be 100% certain, you can use a tape measure to wrap around as a test..

Great! I assume that the 30" indicates the total length of the lock and that the actual functional locking distance is shorter by a few inches. Is that the case?

exapkib
06-13-2018, 12:42 PM
I have the Tigr, very light and nice, used it around LA and no problems yet. Way better than riding around with the chain lock I used to carry.

I'd love to hear more about your experiences--do you use the original or one of the minis? I've got my eye on the Mini+, which seems like it might be just big enough for my needs.

Veloo
06-13-2018, 01:48 PM
For a quick in and out, I have a Knog Milkman that fits in a jersey pocket.
I had Amazon gift cards from work and it was on sale so I basically got it for "free".

https://www.knog.com.au/milkman.html?___store=knogcomau

exapkib
06-13-2018, 05:38 PM
So . . . I couldn't justify the extra expense of the TiGr (as much as I tried) over the Ottolock, so I bought the latter.

Happy to follow up here for anyone who's interested in the outcome.

spinarelli
06-13-2018, 06:06 PM
I use Hexlox bolts and an Abus Granit Plus 640 Mini U-Lock (6-inch). Stem, seat post, seat clamp, wheels all have Hexlox magnets. The abus mini is light and strong enough. I like it better then the NYC kryptonite I had before.

https://hexlox.com

Asudef
06-13-2018, 06:59 PM
My buddy went through all this before too but for the clean look and street locking, he settled with the Hexlox as well. They're a bit pricey and can add up but it's a pretty slick system and seems pretty tough to defeat. Though a thief might still take it as a challenge and mess your bike up.

I do want to hear how the lock works out once you do use it for a while. I've been considering getting one for quick stops and less sketchy areas.

slowpoke
06-13-2018, 07:50 PM
I'm more and more drawn to this--what length do you have? The racks at my building are more or less like these:

http://www.fashionatclick.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Best-Bike-Parking-Rack-H76F-About-Remodel-Stylish-Home-Design-Style-with-Bike-Parking-Rack.jpg

How were you able to use a u-lock with that rack before? Park your bike and lock the u-lock to the frame near the chainstays?

Personally, for full-day use, I would not use an Ottolock unless the value of the bike is <$200. I'd just get another Kryptonite u-lock and some locking skewers for the wheels.

For me, the Ottolock is a rest-stop lock. Nothing more. Even if we're eating a cafe after a ride, I'd still want to be able to see my bike.

exapkib
06-13-2018, 07:56 PM
How were you able to use a u-lock with that rack before? Park your bike and lock the u-lock to the frame near the chainstays?

Personally, for full-day use, I would not use an Ottolock unless the value of the bike is <$200. I'd just get another Kryptonite u-lock and some locking skewers for the wheels.

For me, the Ottolock is a rest-stop lock. Nothing more. Even if we're eating a cafe after a ride, I'd still want to be able to see my bike.

I'm locking up in a unique situation, so I'm willing to give the Ottolock a chance.

Before the police cut my lock, I passed it through the front wheel and locked it in the water bottle holder on the down tube. Worked great.

fa63
06-14-2018, 01:45 AM
I commute to the campus of Georgia Tech several times a week. The Ottolock which others have mentioned before works like a charm. That said, I park my bike in an area where there is regular foot traffic. Otherwise I would have thought of a more heavy duty lock.

fogrider
06-14-2018, 09:35 PM
How close is your office from the rack? At the end of the day, just unlock and put it in your office and get it in the morning. Your bike will be unattended for a brief time but it sounds like that should be ok.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

exapkib
06-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Brief update and thank you:

I made the fiscally responsible choice and bought an Ottolock, but then my wife surprised me by ordering the TiGr lock. When both arrived, the Ottolock was cool, but not exactly the level of security I need locking my bike up on campus.

First ride with the TiGr today, and I love it! It is certainly tighter than your average U-lock, though bigger than the mini U-locks I've seen. Here are some photos that show it in action. It looks like I won't have any trouble at all locking up, even when the fenders go on in the winter.

Really excited about this--the design and weight are remarkable. Will update later in the winter once I've used the lock in a variety of conditions.

Thanks again to all who chimed in here!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1780/42236418464_eb788eb835_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27mhFHs)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1763/42905805642_991ab33570_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28nrtcG)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1819/28086021857_d31df37d67_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/JMScNa)