PDA

View Full Version : OT: Soccer World Cup 2018 with spoilers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

vav
06-12-2018, 12:24 PM
I only watch soccer every 4 years. Scooping the preliminary round I found only a couple of matches interesting to watch:

Spain vs Portugal this Friday and Argentina vs Croatia next week. Any other matches that you think might be worth watching?

Force
06-12-2018, 12:30 PM
That Spain/Portugal matchup is very interesting for a first game. Germany/Mexico is interesting as well. I will be watching Argentina too; pretty much planning to watch as much as possible.

BikeNY
06-12-2018, 12:45 PM
I'm looking forward to the USA vs. Italy match.

Oh, wait...

R3awak3n
06-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Oh, wait...

:hello::p

I am all in for Portugal. We can do it, with a bit of luck, the Euro winds behind us :)

As long as its not Germany/Spain/France/Brazil/Argentina, I am ok with someone else winning it. Maybe belgium?

Jaybee
06-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Oh, wait...

Winner plays Netherlands, right?

ultraman6970
06-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Argentinian matches are going to be fun to watch this cup because they actually suck as a team and because are lucky as hell. Toby's gang still playing and those should have been out of the team at least a year ago. In paper they should be gone in 1st round.

Spain a few weeks ago gave them a ticket for 4-0 and spain actually attacked 5 times, not that argentina played bad, well they did but spain played like gods, that game was really good. Then they suspended other preparation games and the next one was against haiti which they won 4-0, haiti is like playing a HS team, so doesnt count.

Spain will be fun to watch, their game is out of any league IMO. Next ones are the germans.

Columbia I hope goes well but... well... who knows.

beeatnik
06-12-2018, 01:20 PM
:hello::p

I am all in for Portugal. We can do it, with a bit of luck, the Euro winds behind us :)

As long as its not Germany/Spain/France/Brazil/Argentina, I am ok with someone else winning it. Maybe belgium?

Mexico!

http://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico/story/3522277/javier-hernandez-tell-me-why-mexico-cant-win-the-world-cup

:p

Mzilliox
06-12-2018, 01:21 PM
Being French American, I'm all in for France. This may be their strongest side in my lifetime, and thats saying a lot. They are really well balanced, youth, speed, experience, size, goal scoring, creativity, air, ground, they can beat you however you like to be beat.

Germany, Spain, Uruguay, Belgium, and Egypt all have me excited.

R3awak3n
06-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Mexico!

http://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico/story/3522277/javier-hernandez-tell-me-why-mexico-cant-win-the-world-cup

oh I totally be down for Mexico winning

R3awak3n
06-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Being French American, I'm all in for France. This may be their strongest side in my lifetime, and thats saying a lot. They are really well balanced, youth, speed, experience, size, goal scoring, creativity, air, ground, they can beat you however you like to be beat.

as long as they don't bring out the victory bus like they did at the euro cup, because they actually won :eek: they may have a good chance of taking this one :p

BikeNY
06-12-2018, 02:36 PM

Maybe they should do a losers bracket with all the teams that didn't make it!

As a German-American I will of course be routing for Germany again, but my feeling is they won't be taking home the Cup this time.

galgal
06-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Belgium vs England in the group stage should/could be good

Jaybee
06-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Maybe they should do a losers bracket with all the teams that didn't make it!

As a German-American I will of course be routing for Germany again, but my feeling is they won't be taking home the Cup this time.

I don't think anything came of this, but there were some thoughts (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42001722) of a non-WC tournament.

I'm Dutch-American, usually rooting for the Oranje, but I think I'll go for Costa Rica this year. Had a good time on vacation there.

If I had to pick a winner now, I think I'd go Espana.

galgal
06-12-2018, 03:57 PM
So the FOX promo for the World Cup, having paid a gizillion bucks to wrest US rights from ESPN:

" A four week fist-fight for the championship of the World."

You would think someone at FOX would have told promo dept that in this type of football only goalies get to use their hands.:rolleyes:

cadence90
06-12-2018, 04:05 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-12-2018, 06:58 PM

close but not quite, winner plays winner of Ned v Chile :p

^
Pretty fitting, though, no?

"Fox News; All The News That's Fit To Punch Really Hard Right In The Mouth."

I had not even realized it will be on Fox in the US. That announcing team looks about as strong as the Pitcairn Islands National Team. Thank Dio for RAI....

the rest of us have Telemundo. I can't understand much Spanish, but even that's better that listening to the gibberish Lalas spews

echappist
06-12-2018, 07:10 PM

and they are prone to howlers

such as this one

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfRkB5wWAAA7S-P.jpg:large

and the one against sweden :p

rustychisel
06-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Well France play Australia fisrt round, so that's errm, problematic.

Australia unlikely to win (you can say that again) but imagine if they held the French to 0-0? That would get the scribes a-scribbling.

[honestly though it's more likely to be 0-6, and it's silly to bet against Germany for a WC, ever]

BobC
06-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Interesting BBC article on some of the issues surrounding African national sides vying in the world cup. No wonder they have.... um... issues.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44070259

Belgium is my dark horse. Would love to see Roberto Martinez get them to the final (he did do great things at Wigan, well except for that whole minor relegation hiccup).

Still think Spain takes it.

echappist
06-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Well France play Australia fisrt round, so that's errm, problematic.

Australia unlikely to win (you can say that again) but imagine if they held the French to 0-0? That would get the scribes a-scribbling.

[honestly though it's more likely to be 0-6, and it's silly to bet against Germany for a WC, ever]
To paraphrase Gary Linekar: the World Cup is a very simple competition, 32 teams compete over the span of a month in a knockout tournament, and at the end, the Germans always win

Interesting BBC article on some of the issues surrounding African national sides vying in the world cup. No wonder they have.... um... issues.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44070259

Belgium is my dark horse. Would love to see Roberto Martinez get them to the final (he did do great things at Wigan, well except for that whole minor relegation hiccup).

Still think Spain takes it.

Jokes goes, Martinez promised Everton Champions League; instead, he almost got them banished to the League Championships

The thing about Belgium is that they have no outside defenders. For all their attacking talents and defending talents, somehow no one who can play fullback adequately. I'm sure they can go far if this gets resolved.

cadence90
06-12-2018, 09:24 PM
.... ..

galgal
06-12-2018, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=echappist;2379681]To paraphrase Gary Linekar: the World Cup is a very simple competition, 32 teams compete over the span of a month in a knockout tournament, and at the end, the Germans always win

Not between 1990 and 2014 they didn't. And while their current and last world cup winning squad is world class, past "winning" editions were lacking in the "class" aspect shall we say. For example, take their winning team over Hungary in the final, the same one that Hungary had demolished earlier in the tournament when they could actually keep their players on the pitch. Or take their lovely team from 1980s, which in 1982 played the two most infamous games in world cup history, apart from losing to Algeria.

echappist
06-12-2018, 11:39 PM
To paraphrase Gary Linekar: the World Cup is a very simple competition, 32 teams compete over the span of a month in a knockout tournament, and at the end, the Germans always win

Not between 1990 and 2014 they didn't. And while their current and last world cup winning squad is world class, past "winning" editions were lacking in the "class" aspect shall we say. For example, take their winning team over Hungary in the final, the same one that Hungary had demolished earlier in the tournament when they could actually keep their players on the pitch. Or take their lovely team from 1980s, which in 1982 played the two most infamous games in world cup history, apart from losing to Algeria.

i heard of the anschlauss; what's the other one? is that the one where their brute of a keeper (Schumacher, IIRC) decked the French forward?

galgal
06-13-2018, 12:16 AM
i heard of the anschlauss; what's the other one? is that the one where their brute of a keeper (Schumacher, IIRC) decked the French forward?

Yup, Schumacher. "Decked", would be a nice mild term for aggravated assault.

cadence90
06-13-2018, 01:00 AM
.... ..

martl
06-13-2018, 03:35 AM

German football has rarely been an act of beauty.
1954, the Hungarians were the dominating team, the FC Barcelona of their time, head and shoulders above everyone else, but they were over-confident to the level of cockiness, they lost to a team playing abouve their own skill, similar to Greece at their EC win, or Iceland recently.
The 1974 Final was a clash between the two undisputed top teams of the world - i know history sees the dutch team as superior but go watch some footage of the (almost identical) 1972 EC winning german team and you'll see they were magnificent. A parallel to 1954: The dutch were cocky/arrogant as well.

Between 1978 and 2002, there are few things to be proud of as a german supporter, with the exception of the 1990 champions which had numerous world class players in its ranks (Matthäus, Brehme, Kohler, Klinsmann, Völler). Still it was the team that manifestzed the image of german football: Discipline, fighting spirit, endurance - rather than finesse.

vav
06-13-2018, 07:54 AM
So North America (US, Canada and Mexico) will co-host the 2026 Cup.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44464913

"17 of the 23 Stadiums are ready to go with the other 6 requiring minor renovations"

I hope this is a truly the case and tax dollars don't go down the drain building crap that will sit unused afterwards.

Mzilliox
06-13-2018, 08:00 AM

"17 of the 23 Stadiums are ready to go with the other 6 requiring minor renovations"

I hope this is a truly the case and tax dollars don't go down the drain building crap that will sit unused afterwards.

Also does that not seem like a large span of places? Imagine having to play in Canada then Mexico, thats a lot of travel... plus 3 teams already in? whatever man.

Jaybee
06-13-2018, 09:37 AM
You know what would be awesome? What if you were one of 2 or 3 massive favorites to win the WC, but you decided to replace your manager just before everything started because he didn't check with the federation before taking a new club manager job.

Strong work , Espana.

echappist
06-13-2018, 09:45 AM
You know what would be awesome? What if you were one of 2 or 3 massive favorites to win the WC, but you decided to replace your manager just before everything started because he didn't check with the federation before taking a new club manager job.

Strong work , Espana.

what was Real even thinking? can't hold it off after the tournament to start discussions? Selfish move by the coach

Jaybee
06-13-2018, 09:50 AM
what was Real even thinking? can't hold it off after the tournament to start discussions? Selfish move by the coach

Maybe I'm not completely understanding the context of the Spanish Football Federation, but once the Real/JL thing does happen, is it entirely necessary to can the guy? Seems like the players really like him.

gary_a_gooner
06-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Also does that not seem like a large span of places? Imagine having to play in Canada then Mexico, thats a lot of travel... plus 3 teams already in? whatever man.

Thought about that, too. Would make sense for the groups to play their matches in a certain region--say the northeast. Traveling wouldn't be that bad. Knockout rounds will likely spread it out.

cadence90
06-13-2018, 11:14 AM
.... ..

BdaGhisallo
06-13-2018, 11:27 AM

NA should have no issue providing suitable stadia for the World Cup. I don't recall much infrastructure having to be built from scratch when the US hosted the 94 WCup and I would imagine that the stadium inventory in the US is far more developed twenty plus years on.

vav
06-13-2018, 11:31 AM
l... plus 3 teams already in? whatever man.

3 teams already in. 45 more to go :eek:

cadence90
06-13-2018, 11:43 AM
.... ..

kevinvc
06-13-2018, 01:23 PM
I'm hoping they announce the cities that will host games soon. 8 years is a long ways off as far as making travel plans, but it would be nice to know how far I'd have to go (assuming I'm still living here). FIFA will pick up to 16 host cities from the 23 proposed by the three countries. There's a map with the potential sites in this article (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/worldcup/north-america-lands-2026-world-cup-1.4703826).

galgal
06-13-2018, 01:27 PM
I'm hoping they announce the cities that will host games soon. 8 years is a long ways off as far as making travel plans, but it would be nice to know how far I'd have to go (assuming I'm still living here).

And the Final to be played in...New York or LA, Montreal or Mexico City (haha):fight:

cadence90
06-13-2018, 01:39 PM
.... ..

kevinvc
06-13-2018, 01:41 PM
I posted a link to an article that shows the potential host cities in my previous post.

cadence90
06-13-2018, 01:49 PM
.... ..

Jaybee
06-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Edmonton; Baltimore; Kansas City; Nashville; Atlanta; Orlando; and Monterrey will not make the 16, imo.

The BBC article (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44464913) reads as though the Canadian/Mexican locations are already in, and 10/17 US locations will be selected.

I'd pick Orlando, Nashville, one of B'more/DC, one of Houston/Dallas, KC, Philadelphia and Cincy as the non-winners.

cadence90
06-13-2018, 02:19 PM
.... ..

PQJ
06-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Atlanta definitely gets to host. Fancy new stadium. Airport. Capital of the Southeast. Plus, it's where I live.

vav
06-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Rutherford NJ will host the final (Giants-Jets Stadium)

My sister leaves around the corner so already told her to airbnb her place for 3-400 a night ;)

Boston-Foxboro (Patriots stadium) also hosting so maybe I can airbnb my place too :cool:

cadence90
06-13-2018, 02:56 PM
.... ..

galgal
06-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Rutherford NJ will host the final (Giants-Jets Stadium)

My sister leaves around the corner so already told her to airbnb her place for 3-400 a night ;)

Boston-Foxboro (Patriots stadium) also hosting so maybe I can airbnb my place too :cool:

Wouldn't be needing that airbnb in Rutherford myself, Brooklyn ain't that far, but would your sister be accepting deposits right now, have friends interested at that price:D Save me from putting them all up.

cadence90
06-13-2018, 03:18 PM
.... ..

galgal
06-13-2018, 03:38 PM
Hey, you hold on for just one minute here! :no:

I was the one who "questioned" the (sanity of the) $3-400/night that vav advised his sister first, way up in post #46! So, any deal you make with vav's sister at $3-400/per, I think I would deserve a fair "finder's fee". It would clearly be the correct and ethical thing for you to do. We can work out the details via PM.

:D

Ah, right. Well, of course. This is Paceline after all, not Real Madrid, we have morals. Would you accept finder's fee in Campy bits? That will be going up by 2026 too:rolleyes:
Btw, re Hierro and Ramos getting on same page, shouldn't be a problem. Ramos is the most red-carded player in Real's history with Hierro second, unless of course Hierro is annoyed by Ramos surpassing his record.

cadence90
06-13-2018, 03:56 PM
.... ..

wc1934
06-13-2018, 04:35 PM
:no:

4 teams already in, 44 to go:
Canada (free-ride-in-exchange-for-not-free-money)
Mexico (free-ride-in-exchange-for-not-free-money)
USA (free-ride-in-exchange-for-not-free-money)
and whoever wins WC 2022 in that traditional, historical, definitely not-free venue and literal hotbed of world-class soccer, the Emirate.... :rolleyes:

It all gets more disgusting by the day.

I am not 100% sure, but I think they changed that rule - right after Italy beat France.

cadence90
06-13-2018, 04:51 PM
.... ..

wc1934
06-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Wow, my bad. You are 100% correct, and you have been for 16 years! ;)

"The hosts of the World Cup receive an automatic berth. Unlike many other sports, results of the previous World Cups or of the continental championships are not taken into account. Until 2002, the defending champions also received an automatic berth, but starting from the 2006 World Cup this is no longer the case."

I remember Blatter rescinding the tradition of the champion automatically qualifying for the next WC, but then for some reason I thought it had reverted back. Obviously not. :o

So, the last champion to automatically qualify was FRA (1998 > 2002).

Haha - yup Italy wins and the rules change.
Brasil won in 2002 so they received an automatic bid for 2006.

aellaguno
06-13-2018, 05:17 PM
Mexico!

+1 on Mexico!

cadence90
06-13-2018, 05:20 PM
.... ..

Matthew
06-13-2018, 05:34 PM
I may tune in just to watch the ridiculous flops and life ending fake injuries.

cadence90
06-13-2018, 05:35 PM
.... ..

andeww
06-13-2018, 06:00 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/oh-snap.gif

andeww
06-13-2018, 06:01 PM
Doing a bracket at work, and i somehow have brazil- germany for the final. Would love to see brazil get some sweet revenge

wc1934
06-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Doing a bracket at work, and i somehow have brazil- germany for the final. Would love to see brazil get some sweet revenge
Pressure is off Brasil this year, so maybe. Saw a video of their practice and they were very loose - goofing around etc

wc1934
06-13-2018, 07:36 PM
So - you have one pick - who is going to lift the wc trophy?
I am rooting for Belgium.

echappist
06-13-2018, 08:51 PM
Too late.

The NBA Finals just ended.

:banana:

golf clap :)

echappist
06-13-2018, 08:52 PM

who's gonna play wingback for them?

Is Meunier fast enough?

edit: more like, is Carrasco defensively minded enough to play wingback?

andeww
06-13-2018, 09:00 PM

I would like Argentina to win
I think Germany or Brazil take it

wc1934
06-13-2018, 09:59 PM
who's gonna play wingback for them?

Is Meunier fast enough?

edit: more like, is Carrasco defensively minded enough to play wingback?
I think Belgium is going to surprise a few people. They will be entertaining to watch and should score goals, while Courtois will hopefully have some clean sheets.
I like Meunier - he is serviceable - he is a big strong kid - He is somewhat creative - I like his passing.
To me, Carrasco is more offensive minded but I think overall Meunier is better.

galgal
06-13-2018, 09:59 PM

Would be sweet revenge and a distinct possibility. But it won't heal the wound of 7-1 at home in a semi in "your" world cup. Brazil still hasn't forgotten the loss to Uruguay at home in the final, despite having won more than any other team since. I can sort of emphasize.

Btw, somehow? Aren't those the 2 top favorites:)

echappist
06-13-2018, 10:15 PM
I think Belgium is going to surprise a few people. They will be entertaining to watch and should score goals, while Courtois will hopefully have some clean sheets.
I like Meunier - he is serviceable - he is a big strong kid - He is somewhat creative - I like his passing.
To me, Carrasco is more offensive minded but I think overall Meunier is better.
but those two are the wingbacks/fullbacks on the opposite sides of the field.

Surprisingly, they don't have anyone else for that position

edit: they left Lukaku's brother (a natural left back) off the roster. a bit confounding, really

cadence90
06-13-2018, 10:50 PM
.... ..

wc1934
06-14-2018, 08:43 AM
but those two are the wingbacks/fullbacks on the opposite sides of the field.

Surprisingly, they don't have anyone else for that position

edit: they left Lukaku's brother (a natural left back) off the roster. a bit confounding, really
I just looked up their starting lineup - You are absolutely correct - I did not think Carrasco was starting - I just assumed that the left footed Dembele would play there - my bad!

R3awak3n
06-14-2018, 08:50 AM
starting in 1 hour....

I am at work so why not watch the inaugural game

andeww
06-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Btw, somehow? Aren't those the 2 top favorites:)

Hah, yes .. poor use of words there

echappist
06-14-2018, 10:18 AM
I just looked up their starting lineup - You are absolutely correct - I did not think Carrasco was starting - I just assumed that the left footed Dembele would play there - my bad!

s'aul good, man :)

btw, here are the top teams are their deficiencies (assuming no one gets injured)

Germany: striker, left back to a lesser extent
Portugal: entire back line. They got lucky two years ago by finishing third in their group.
Spain: uncertainties with the head honcho; otherwise as spotless a team
France: really can't think of any. Mendy lacking game time and a bit rusty?
Argentina: GK and outside backs; none of their GKs have more than 10 caps
Brazil: right back, as in Danilo not seeing enough game time
Belgium: outside backs
England: centerback(s); Walker isn't a centerback; Cahill doesn't have game time; and Stones. Well, the wittiest banter I heard all year was following the Liverpool - City league match: the Fab Four may have disbanded, but Firmino was rolling Stones. Come to think of it, Liverpool has a new fab four

Sorry, fans of El Tri, Colombia, Uruguay and Poland :P

So I guess Brazil, Germany, Spain, and France appears the strongest. So, the semifinalists. No idea whom to pick from the four

JACKS
06-14-2018, 10:21 AM
my choices are Belgium/Brazil/France/Argentina

i would like to see Messi lift the cup before he rides into the sunset as the greatest of all time. But those Brazilian are super strong this year. and it being in Europe, it usually means an European nation will win it. so we shall see.

galgal
06-14-2018, 01:48 PM
s'aul good, man :)

btw, here are the top teams are their deficiencies (assuming no one gets injured)

Germany: striker, left back to a lesser extent
Portugal: entire back line. They got lucky two years ago by finishing third in their group.
Spain: uncertainties with the head honcho; otherwise as spotless a team
France: really can't think of any. Mendy lacking game time and a bit rusty?
Argentina: GK and outside backs; none of their GKs have more than 10 caps
Brazil: right back, as in Danilo not seeing enough game time
Belgium: outside backs
England: centerback(s); Walker isn't a centerback; Cahill doesn't have game time; and Stones. Well, the wittiest banter I heard all year was following the Liverpool - City league match: the Fab Four may have disbanded, but Firmino was rolling Stones. Come to think of it, Liverpool has a new fab four

Sorry, fans of El Tri, Colombia, Uruguay and Poland :P

So I guess Brazil, Germany, Spain, and France appears the strongest. So, the semifinalists. No idea whom to pick from the four

If your semifinals come true, they should be epic: France vs Brazil; Germany vs Spain
Don't have a prediction, but want/need/hope: France

Btw, with all the Spain/Real Madrid fuss, it would be really funny if in Portugal/Spain tomorrow, Ramos were to foul RM teammate Ronaldo who would then convert penalty to win the game...imagine the Spanish media/fan reaction;)

cadence90
06-14-2018, 02:06 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-14-2018, 02:07 PM
that'd be glorious :)

or Pepe put in something "extra special" on his former RM teammates; or better yet, Ramos and Pepe going at it ;)

galgal
06-14-2018, 02:14 PM
Well, G1 was a real yawner, nothing to see there.
Cripes, in '26 when there will be 48 teams.... :eek:

Nobody is liking Peru as a dark horse at least? Pretty strong team.

Come on, fellas, wc1934 asked the question, "...one pick - who is going to lift the wc trophy?" It's not ForumFairPlay to then just reply, "Well, 1 out of these 4 top favorites might win...." :) :bike:

If you insist: France

cadence90
06-14-2018, 02:18 PM
.... ..

gary_a_gooner
06-14-2018, 02:35 PM
If I would have to pick one...Brazil.

France will win at least one of the next 3. They are stacked with young talent right now that will hit their prime for the 2022.

galgal
06-14-2018, 03:11 PM
From Ramos press conference today.

"We [the players] don't have to evaluate the decisions made by Rubailes, they don't belong to us[...] We players will have our say on the field. When the World Cup is finished, each us will say what they want to say [...] In the group, not everyone agrees on what has happened and one has that right. But the World Cup remains our only objective. I would like to finish this press conference with a smile since I feel as if I am at a funeral."

Ozz
06-14-2018, 03:16 PM
..come on, fellas, wc1934 asked the question, "...one pick - who is going to lift the wc trophy?" it's not forumfairplay to then just reply, "well, 1 out of these 4 top favorites might win...." :) :bike:

I pick: ESP!

cadence90
06-14-2018, 03:17 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-14-2018, 08:39 PM
^
Pretty fitting, though, no?

"Fox News; All The News That's Fit To Punch Really Hard Right In The Mouth."

I had not even realized it will be on Fox in the US. That announcing team looks about as strong as the Pitcairn Islands National Team. Thank Dio for RAI....

rejoyce, English language speakers, you don't have to listen to Lalas blabbering, for BBC5 (BBC's audio service) will provide audio commentary of the matches, including POR v ESP

Four years ago, I had the fortune of watching BBC coverage, but they have since made that impossible. Luckily, they still provide audio to everyone

cadence90
06-14-2018, 08:49 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-14-2018, 09:20 PM
So the BBC audio will be on the Fox broadcast?
And: No Lalas anywhere within hearing distance?
Fine by me!
well, you do need to mute Fox and tune in to BBC, but otherwise correct :)

cadence90
06-14-2018, 09:27 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-14-2018, 09:29 PM
Oh, won't work for me then, because one would need 2 tvs, right?

I can't take that Fox crew....:crap:

sorry I wasn't more clear. The link provided in my original post gets you to live broadcast of BBC5; so just internet and TV

now if BBC decide to georestrict BBC5 as well, then we are screwed...

Jaybee
06-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Watch on Fox (mute), turn on BBC internet radio, hope they aren't 12 seconds apart.

cadence90
06-14-2018, 09:51 PM
.... ..

Jaybee
06-14-2018, 10:43 PM
Telemundo is an option too.

el fútbol suena mejor en español, por supesto

cadence90
06-14-2018, 11:32 PM
.... ..

galgal
06-15-2018, 12:21 AM
Agree that Fox coverage is insufferable. My nerves are jingle jangling anyway, those guys will have them utterly fried. Telemundo is the savior. Not sure I follow how to get the BBC5 feed?
So, is it correct that during JP ESP coaching stint which lasted 2 years there were 3 different Spanish football federation presidents? There will be a 4th one I imagine, if Spain stumble, after this pres put his foot down.

echappist
06-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Agree that Fox coverage is insufferable. My nerves are jingle jangling anyway, those guys will have them utterly fried. Telemundo is the savior. Not sure I follow how to get the BBC5 feed?
So, is it correct that during JP ESP coaching stint which lasted 2 years there were 3 different Spanish football federation presidents? There will be a 4th one I imagine, if Spain stumble, after this pres put his foot down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_five_live

you can wind the audio backward; Fox about 40 seconds behind BBC audio

edit: actually can't rewind...

echappist
06-15-2018, 08:57 AM
Suarez can't even take a foul gracefully. Was he trying to wrestle down Hegazi as the former was falling to the ground?

echappist
06-15-2018, 10:26 AM
BBC closed that loophole quick... Irish TV (RTE) still available via VPN. Quality ain't half bad either

cnighbor1
06-15-2018, 11:19 AM
I see the Soccer World Cup 2018 has an ALL STAR game on steroids
As the players normally play for many clubs. Than for a short time play for their home country. How does that make any sense? Each country will at any time produce a great player or two so for that Soccer World Cup their country has a good chance to win. Than forthe next Soccer World Cup chances go down if they have retired
Than the players have little experience playing together has a team so the chances of winning the cup decrease
So for me just a way for FICA to make a lot of money

cadence90
06-15-2018, 11:35 AM
.... ..

R3awak3n
06-15-2018, 11:54 AM
T- 1 hour.. Getting nervous!

... and off course they release that Ronaldo is going to pay 21mil to not go to jail for tax fraud.... coincidental? highly doubt it....

oh well. Lets go selecao!!!! Best game of the 1st phase.

https://www.soccer.com/wcm/connect/df306412-4f45-4f0f-a40e-e5c26f3a293d/Portugal-Hero.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE-df306412-4f45-4f0f-a40e-e5c26f3a293d-m1VZdQt

sorry, I am excited. I love the world cup.

Ozz
06-15-2018, 11:56 AM
As the players normally play for many clubs. Than for a short time play for their home country. How does that make any sense? Each country will at any time produce a great player or two so for that Soccer World Cup their country has a good chance to win. Than forthe next Soccer World Cup chances go down if they have retired
Than the players have little experience playing together has a team so the chances of winning the cup decrease
So for me just a way for FICA to make a lot of money
Oh, I think you can argue that Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Italy have consistently produced great players/teams. Countries with smaller populations tend to be at a disadvantage in any international team sport competition.

Also, soccer is not like American football or basketball where you need to get the players lots of "reps" so they can run plays. A good manager selects players that can execute the style of play he is looking for.

For a countries like Spain, Germany or Italy, most of their players are on the top couple clubs in their leagues, so they play together quite a bit anyway when not on national team duty.

Lastly, isn't the point of all professional sports to make money??

cadence90
06-15-2018, 12:03 PM
.... ..

Jaybee
06-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Including substitutes, there are 736 players participating in this World Cup.
I am pretty OK with 735 of them, but there is one I cannot stand more than the other 735 combined.

You have 7 guesses as to who that player is.

LeBron?

galgal
06-15-2018, 12:16 PM
I am pretty OK with 735 of them, but there is one I cannot stand more than the other 735 combined.

Captain of one of the two teams in upcoming game. Close call.:fight:

echappist
06-15-2018, 12:18 PM

Suarez, Ramos, Pepe, CR7, Rafa Marquez, Pique?

goonster
06-15-2018, 12:30 PM

Yes.

And yet . . . it works.

1. You have the world's most popular game and a format that appeals to even the most casual observer (countries, flags, stereotypes, rah rah!)
2. The players care because it gives them a shot at something no league or cup competition can provide: the biggest stage.
3. Even for club soccer snobs like me, the World Cup always offers surprisingly compelling drama, e.g. emerging players, injuries, intrigue, etc.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HeavenlyEverlastingAndeancondor-max-1mb.gif

verticaldoug
06-15-2018, 12:49 PM
CR is one of those players who can walk on water whenever he wants to.
The problem has always been he just appears to coast along so often and just mail it in. I always view Messi as giving his all more often which is why I prefer LM over CR hands down. Although to be honest, CR is the more talented player.

wc1934
06-15-2018, 12:59 PM
t- 1 hour.. Getting nervous!

... And off course they release that ronaldo is going to pay 21mil to not go to jail for tax fraud.... Coincidental? Highly doubt it....

Oh well. Lets go selecao!!!! Best game of the 1st phase.

sorry, i am excited. I love the world cup.

ditto!

echappist
06-15-2018, 01:04 PM
what, a penalty already?

wc1934
06-15-2018, 01:05 PM

now you have another reason - guess it was a penalty

kevinvc
06-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Are spoilers allowed in this thread? I'd like to comment on the ongoing match.

echappist
06-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Are spoilers allowed in this thread? I'd like to comment on the ongoing match.

better be...

or we are all leaving and taking the ball with us ;)

echappist
06-15-2018, 01:26 PM

and for good measures, I forgot Diego Costa

kevinvc
06-15-2018, 01:28 PM
What a weak call on the penalty!! Yes, the defender planted his foot, but it didn't look to me like it was in his direct path. Renaldo clearly dragged his back leg and was already going to ground before there was any contact.

By the rules, I guess you could make a case for a really soft call, but not for a PK!

MattTuck
06-15-2018, 01:31 PM

Isn't Suarez the biter?

cadence90
06-15-2018, 01:39 PM
.... ..

cadence90
06-15-2018, 01:40 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-15-2018, 01:46 PM
Isn't Suarez the biter?

That's the one; threepeat offender, too

-------------------------------

De Gea almost never makes a mistake, and then goes to make one in the most important of matches

I say this thing ties 3-3

echappist
06-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Cold, except for that 1 sizzling hot spot.
And, we're playing "The ONE Truly Despicable Player" here, not "Gianni Infantino and the SEVEN Dwarfs"! :rolleyes:

Not "Gianni Infantino and the EIGHT Dwarfs", either, sheesh.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:)

you are on a roll with your one liners today :banana:

I go with Pepe then

kevinvc
06-15-2018, 01:52 PM
Quite a first half. Spain is looking so dangerous on the attack but toothless in defense (to extend the Suarez theme).

echappist
06-15-2018, 02:11 PM
they should get Ascencio in there;

that Diego Costa, what a menace of a man (in ways both good and bad). Ironic that for a team people joked as a GK and 10 midfielders, they scored from long ball and set-piece

goonster
06-15-2018, 02:12 PM
I will miss Iniesta, but man does he look old. (He's 34.) Maybe every completed pass ages you an extra minute . . .

Jaybee
06-15-2018, 02:16 PM
What a rocket.

goonster
06-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Let's not forget: Diego Costa was surfing a couch this time last year, did not play until January, having been incomprehensibly turfed out by Conte.

Nacho is a utility backup at his club, only in this game because Dani Carvajal misjudged his return from injury.

Isco. What a player . . .

Jaybee
06-15-2018, 02:45 PM
How the eff did he get that around the wall?

echappist
06-15-2018, 02:49 PM
How the eff did he get that around the wall.

b/c he rolled his shorts sleeve up, channeling styles of yesteryears

Mzilliox
06-15-2018, 02:58 PM
The free kick was a good one, but what on earth has spain done to concede that? a poor tackle and a mistake from De Gea earlier on the second goal.

While i think the guy is a prick, hats off to Ronaldo for taking his chances.

wc1934
06-15-2018, 03:00 PM
Isn't Suarez the biter?

fava beans and a nice chianti

Climb01742
06-15-2018, 03:01 PM
While i think the guy is a prick, hats off to Ronaldo for taking his chances.

^^^

It's infuriating how good he is. His side was dead until that stupid foul. But damn him, he bent it home.

R3awak3n
06-15-2018, 03:04 PM
Ronaldo here is like Rapha, so much hate. But gents and ladies, I don't want to hear. To me he is still the best player in the world. Good luck trying to convince any single Portuguese person otherwise.

That goal was unreal. The guy is my age (read old for a football player) and he is still such a quality player.

Spain is an insane team, their pass game is on a whole other level from Portugal but the team was great, Portugal played well. Much better than in the Euro. I am happy, a draw is what we needed. Now bring on Morocco an Iran.

R3awak3n
06-15-2018, 03:05 PM
also, if this is the second day of the WC, we are all in for a treat.

echappist
06-15-2018, 03:10 PM

That was a special game, but it's all a bore fest for the next few days. Better hope that England v Belgium lives up to the hype. Have a feeling that the Germans will tread all over the Mexicans again...

R3awak3n
06-15-2018, 03:12 PM
That was a special game, but it's all a bore fest for the next few days. Better hope that England v Belgium lives up to the hype. Have a feeling that the Germans will tread all over the Mexicans again...

I am excited for the Mex-Ger game the most. They really need to make the WC every 2 years. :eek:

choke
06-15-2018, 03:14 PM
So - you have one pick - who is going to lift the wc trophy?I'm late but I'll play....Deutschland. My wish pick would be Iceland.

beeatnik
06-15-2018, 03:15 PM

Isn't the dude the most followed human on earth on Instagram on the internet?

Modern Life is so weird.

ltwtsculler91
06-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Ronaldo here is like Rapha, so much hate. But gents and ladies, I don't want to hear. To me he is still the best player in the world. Good luck trying to convince any single Portuguese person otherwise.

That goal was unreal. The guy is my age (read old for a football player) and he is still such a quality player.

Spain is an insane team, their pass game is on a whole other level from Portugal but the team was great, Portugal played well. Much better than in the Euro. I am happy, a draw is what we needed. Now bring on Morocco an Iran.

That game was epic!

I have a love/hate relationship with Ronaldo as a Spanish Real Madrid fan pretty much encapsulated by today, but wow.

A little disappointed to leave with a draw, but with the way the game went and seeing CR7 on fire I'll take it.

Great game, by 2 great teams has me excited for the rest of the week

echappist
06-15-2018, 03:23 PM
I am excited for the Mex-Ger game the most. They really need to make the WC every 2 years. :eek:

or they need to get rid of the stupid Gold Cup (which both the U.S. and Mexico has won numerous times over) and have a true Copa América. Have qualifiers for it if they want (although it would be a really meaningless exercise), but 6 teams from CONCACAF and 10 from CONMEBOL should make for a nice tournament

That way, two years from the World Cup, you have Euros and America regional championships

That game was epic!

I have a love/hate relationship with Ronaldo as a Spanish Real Madrid fan pretty much encapsulated by today, but wow.

A little disappointed to leave with a draw, but with the way the game went and seeing CR7 on fire I'll take it.

Great game, by 2 great teams has me excited for the rest of the week

but that was great for neutrals (which i think is most of us, R3awak3n excepted)

R3awak3n
06-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Isn't the dude the most followed human on earth on Instagram on the internet?

Modern Life is so weird.

He is top 3 I think but I think he is not the most followed person. I actually don't follow him and I am the only person here that actually likes him :eek: Modern life is def weird

or they need to get rid of the stupid Gold Cup (which both the U.S. and Mexico has won numerous times over) and have a true Copa América. Have qualifiers for it if they want (although it would be a really meaningless exercise), but 6 teams from CONCACAF and 10 from CONMEBOL should make for a nice tournament

That way, two years from the World Cup, you have Euros and America regional championships

but that was great for neutrals (which i think is most of us, R3awak3n excepted)

Agreed on all points.

Also, Portugal sometimes plays a boring game, specially after they score (usually bites them in the ass, trying to defend for the rest of the match even if they score in the first 10). I was surprised they kept attacking and had a good chance on a 2-0 early on (also Ronaldo was assisting? :eek: not very Ronaldo).
They played well, team is solid and I am excited. Is it a world cup winning team? sure, with some luck but it will be hard.

beeatnik
06-15-2018, 03:55 PM
He is top 3 I think but I think he is not the most followed person. I actually don't follow him and I am the only person here that actually likes him :eek: Modern life is def weird

Ah, you're right; he's number 2. I keep forgetting Selena Gomez is number 1. Someone who actually contributes something tangible to humanity. :p

R3awak3n
06-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Ah, you're right; he's number 2. I keep forgetting Selena Gomez is number 1. Someone who actually contributes something tangible to humanity. :p

a true humanitarian.

beeatnik
06-15-2018, 04:34 PM
truly
https://www.unicefusa.org/supporters/celebrities/ambassadors/selena-gomez

R3awak3n
06-15-2018, 04:36 PM
but but but

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/real-madrid/86/blog/post/3317297/real-madrids-cristiano-ronaldo-has-long-list-of-charity-contributions

beeatnik
06-15-2018, 04:41 PM
dope!

given so much and giving back a little

cadence90
06-15-2018, 04:46 PM
.... ..

cadence90
06-15-2018, 04:49 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-15-2018, 07:23 PM
Bravo. That would be so great. :beer:

I had to miss the match, but it sounds from the comments here that the replay will be worthwhile.

Poor R3awak3n...will he ever learn? :confused:

very worth watching; highly entertaining match

btw, is Pepe your most despised player?

cadence90
06-15-2018, 07:37 PM
.... ..

galgal
06-15-2018, 08:10 PM
Bravo. That would be so great. :beer:

I had to miss the match, but it sounds from the comments here that the replay will be worthwhile.

Poor R3awak3n...will he ever learn? :confused:

Yes, replay will be worthwhile, really good game between Real Madrid A vs Real Madrid B with a few Barca guys playing fun supporting roles, Pique in particular.

echappist
06-15-2018, 09:57 PM
CR7, really?

I don't like him either, but he doesn't conjure the dark arts to hurt others (our eyeballs having to witness his narcissism aside)

cadence90
06-16-2018, 03:03 AM
.... ..

Climb01742
06-16-2018, 06:59 AM
I’m a Messi fan and psyched for Argentina v Iceland this AM. You know it’s the World Cup when you set your DVR for Iceland!;)

echappist
06-16-2018, 08:11 AM
Or it couldbe Eurovision :)

Mzilliox
06-16-2018, 08:24 AM
I’m a Messi fan and psyched for Argentina v Iceland this AM. You know it’s the World Cup when you set your DVR for Iceland!;)

crazy start for this one! go iceland

echappist
06-16-2018, 09:25 AM
ah hahahahahaha

soft penalty call; and the Icelandic GK saved it

-------------------------------------------

also, thanks to vav for allowing spoilers here

jr59
06-16-2018, 09:27 AM
Soft shot by Messi.

Abelicoln
06-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Comment from Deadspin that made me LOL

“Messi Bjork’d it”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
06-16-2018, 10:55 AM
ahahaha, the so called best player in the world....

echappist
06-16-2018, 12:21 PM
i thought one couldn't get more annoying than Lalas; damn, i was wrong

the bombastic commentator on Fox right now is worse; has a tendency to announcer player's full name. For what effect, i don't know. Kinda like that really annoying Englishman (Hodges or perhaps Hudson?) calling la Liga games.

man...

cadence90
06-16-2018, 01:28 PM
.... ..

tuscanyswe
06-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Today was the first day i could enjoy some football in a long time. Some nice games today. Weak Arg, well that was hardly a suprise i guess. If Nigeria can take a point tonight this group can become really interesting.

Cant wait to see sweden play on monday :banana:

Btw. I actually spontanously applauded Ronaldo last night. Dont think ive ever done that. I was suprised to find myself doing it tbh .) Credit to him, he is showing up when it matters!

cadence90
06-16-2018, 02:00 PM
.... ..

wc1934
06-16-2018, 02:22 PM
NIG please!

And yes, I am hoping for SWE 11 (or more) - KOR 0 (or less).

Just google "Byron Moreno". ;)
11 - 0 exactly -
I loved that 2002 team.

cadence90
06-16-2018, 02:27 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-16-2018, 02:51 PM
Will never forgive.

melodramatic much?

unless there's evidence the Korean FA bought off Moreno, unfair to cast aspersion on the team for being beneficiaries of a bad call.

cadence90
06-16-2018, 03:07 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Seriously?

A "bad call"? Sorry, but no; the entire match was a refereeing disaster. "Melodramatic"? Think whatever you want, but that is insulting. It was a complete travesty, way beyond any partisan affront.

But, at least the world found out that in addition to being completely incompetent, most probably paid off by the host country/team/federation, one could also buy some great cocaine from Byron.

Whatever.

in God we trust, everyone else brings evidence. Hell, i'll even take hearsay that the host (be it the nation or the FA of Korea) bought off the ref. Maybe someday someone will be able to FOIA the DOJ reports on FIFA corruption, and you will be proven correct, but that hasn't happened yet. In the mean time, you haven't put forth any effort in sustaining your accusation, and until then, wishing an one-time opponent to get trounced 11-0 is melodramatic.

if you want to go all conspiracy theory (and i wouldn't blame you, given the shadiness of that ref), then at least you ought to acknowledge that there are other forces who would not want to see Italy through, chief amongst which would be bookies or gamblers who would have a field day if the underdog won. Who knows, maybe a family member of one of the Korean chaebols paid him off. Or perhaps, it could have been someone rooting for Spain paying off the ref, as they would have gotten an easier fixture. Regardless, unless you can pin it on the host country or host FA, you have no case.

And after all that, you guys got your sweet revenge four years later (quite cynically, according to most neutrals and fans of France), while Korea went back to football anonymity. Fans of il azzurri got to celebrate, and the only ones who truly missed out are players of the 2002 squad who weren't on the team in 2006 (and there is good question as to if they could have won it all, because of counterfactuals and all that). Yet despite that, why is that Italy (and I guess you and at least some fans) can't let bygones be bygone? Per your instruction, I did read up more on Moreno, and lo and behold, TV stations in Italy paid him to appear to be a figurative punching bag on their shows... It's a bloody past time, for crying out loud, not as if some corporate raider bought your workplace and raided your pension fund. To complain so loudly after having won is quite unbecoming.

cadence90
06-16-2018, 04:08 PM
.... ..

cadence90
06-16-2018, 04:29 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-16-2018, 05:37 PM
The entire history of the WC is melodramatic. Melodramatic is minor, fun even. The WC history is also littered with corruption. Moreno/KOR/ITA was melodramatic, corrupt, and putrid, so at least one step above the normal. But, hey, if you thought it was all hunky-dory, KOR blameless, and Moreno a saint...well, OK then.

"My" accusation? :confused: I don't know where you've been since 2002, but the accusations are definitely not mine alone.

What further "evidence" do you want? Absolute, ironclad? Sorry it doesn't exist ...any more than any 100% refutation/absolution on your part does.

That match is widely regarded as one of the worst referred WC matches ever.
There were multiple questionable, incorrect, incompetent, important, absolutely game-changing calls and cards.
There were multiple theories regarding possible pay-offs/fixing, including later regrets expresed by Moreno himself.
Moreno has been generally considered one the worst, if not THE worst, WC referees ever.
Moreno never referred at that level again.
Moreno was even suspended from refereeing club level matches in his native Ecuador, and retired under complete dishonor.
Moreno was arrested and accused of transporting/smuggling ~6Kg of heroin. He pled guilty, serving 26 months in New York.

That's not melodrama, or blind partisanship. Those are facts.
I know they are, but you are missing any hearsay (much less evidence) that this corrupt ref took money from the Korean FA or the nation of Korea

Someone can be a indirect beneficiary of shenanigans. And if that were the case, the indirect beneficiary shouldn't bears moral responsibility.

cadence90
06-16-2018, 06:21 PM
.... ..

wc1934
06-16-2018, 06:37 PM

if you want to go all conspiracy theory (and i wouldn't blame you, given the shadiness of that ref), then at least you ought to acknowledge that there are other forces who would not want to see Italy through, chief amongst which would be bookies or gamblers who would have a field day if the underdog won. Who knows, maybe a family member of one of the Korean chaebols paid him off. Or perhaps, it could have been someone rooting for Spain paying off the ref, as they would have gotten an easier fixture. Regardless, unless you can pin it on the host country or host FA, you have no case.

And after all that, you guys got your sweet revenge four years later (quite cynically, according to most neutrals and fans of France), while Korea went back to football anonymity. Fans of il azzurri got to celebrate, and the only ones who truly missed out are players of the 2002 squad who weren't on the team in 2006 (and there is good question as to if they could have won it all, because of counterfactuals and all that). Yet despite that, why is that Italy (and I guess you and at least some fans) can't let bygones be bygone? Per your instruction, I did read up more on Moreno, and lo and behold, TV stations in Italy paid him to appear to be a figurative punching bag on their shows... It's a bloody past time, for crying out loud, not as if some corporate raider bought your workplace and raided your pension fund. To complain so loudly after having won is quite unbecoming.

If you get cheated why would you let bygones be bygones - why do we still talk about Lance, Tyler, Floyd et.al. Moreno was a cheater and was corrupt - that is an indisputable fact.
You are correct - Paolo Maldini and Christian Vieri truly missed out as they werent on the 2006 team.

Climb01742
06-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Moving on...;)

With their shared history, Russians standing for the German national anthem must be...complicated feelings.

tuscanyswe
06-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Hmm that result was not super for swedens chances to advance :/

Spaghetti Legs
06-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Well looks like Mexico did build a wall after all ...

R3awak3n
06-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Mexico played really well first half, that was a great goal!

I wanted Mexico to win, not going to lie. I want a team that never won the WC to win this year, tired of the same teams winning over and over again.

Gsinill
06-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Mexico played really well first half, that was a great goal!

I wanted Mexico to win, not going to lie. I want a team that never won the WC to win this year, tired of the same teams winning over and over again.

Yeah, this one didn't go too well...
Agreed, of all the teams, Mexico and Columbia are probably the ones I mind the least for the Germans to lose.

72gmc
06-17-2018, 01:48 PM
My wife is still making fun of me for talking to the TV when Mexico did nothing with that 2 on 1 chance at about the 70th minute.

I’m not against Germany but I’m glad the underdog won. Ochoa earned it.

cadence90
06-17-2018, 02:03 PM
.... ..

R3awak3n
06-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Why not? Just trash the GER sieve-defense like MEX did today and you'll be fine! :)

It was, but Coutinho's was a superb goal too; I think the best non-set-piece goal so far.

Can we pick ANY team that has never won it, or do all roads lead to POR? :D

Hahaha Portugal 1st of the non winning team (and how awesome would it be for us to win the euro and wc :))

Watching this Brazil game. Man I remember when Brazil games were the best games to watch, not any more. They look pretty desorganzied from watching the past 15 minutes

cadence90
06-17-2018, 02:40 PM
.... ..

Climb01742
06-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Brazil plays with skill but not fight. Grace without grit.

cadence90
06-17-2018, 02:53 PM
.... ..

galgal
06-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Amazing. Of the top 4 teams, only 1 won their opening game - barely. :)

R3awak3n
06-17-2018, 04:20 PM
How so, "the first of the non-winning teams"?

Before ITA won the WC their first time, ITA had never won the WC either.
So, for POR to equal ITA, POR would have to win this time...and then THREE more times again*!
:p.:fight:.:D

The way ITA has been lately, I better shut up, because this could happen. :mad:

No kidding. There are glimmers here and there, but for many years there has not been that free, incessant, consistent, 90+ minute flowing beauty. Too bad.

well my friend, Portugal better be preparing a new Ronaldo or 2 if they want to match Italy in WCs.

beeatnik
06-17-2018, 04:25 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1721/42862709481_a62db5c129_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1732/41962405995_d2bcb5a288_c.jpg

cadence90
06-17-2018, 04:44 PM
.... ..

cadence90
06-17-2018, 04:50 PM
.... ..

beeatnik
06-17-2018, 04:51 PM
^It's been a good Fathers' Day :banana:

galgal
06-17-2018, 06:09 PM
^It's been a good Fathers' Day :banana:

Mexico was terrific. Congrats. Have another :banana:
Now Sweden needs to put Germany out:)

R3awak3n
06-17-2018, 06:37 PM
Well, he has some CRfilhos e CRfilhas, so you can have some WChope! :)

This is so oddly depressing: only now, with the first weekend finished, has it really hit me that ITA are not in this. It is more painful than I thought.
:crap:

I am working with an Italian guy, he does not look happy when everyone is talking wc

wc1934
06-17-2018, 08:05 PM
My wife is still making fun of me for talking to the TV when Mexico did nothing with that 2 on 1 chance at about the 70th minute.

I’m not against Germany but I’m glad the underdog won. Ochoa earned it.

She is lucky that you only talk to your tv - I yell at mine.
The games have been great so far. I did not think that I would enjoy them as much since I don't have a dog in the fight.
But, the Iceland, Mexico and Portugal games had me on the edge of my seat.
And there is much more to come - it is indeed "the beautiful game".

cadence90
06-17-2018, 08:25 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-17-2018, 10:19 PM
It will be their Achilles heel again. They should be up 4-1, 5-1, with no problems.
What was Neymar doing, collecting the ball 40 yards away from goal? So he can try to dribble past Switzerland?
Well looks like Mexico did build a wall after all ...

cadence90
06-17-2018, 10:26 PM
.... ..

martl
06-18-2018, 01:52 AM
T

Moreno has been generally considered one the worst, if not THE worst, WC referees ever.

No idea about the match in question, but i doubt this point very, very much.

WCs history has a plethora of comical refereeing, starting in 1930 (Gilberto Leonel de Almeida Rego - he ended the Arg-Fra match 6min early, just in the very second a french player was about to score the equalizer; in the HF URU-YUG he disallowed a regular YUG goal, but allowed one for URU where the ball had been out and kicked back in by a policeman before - YUG had eliminated his BRA team earlier).
Also, the accusations of refereeing in favor of the WC home team is as old as the tournament itself; afaik, there has never been proof in form of a late confession or the like.
I'm not saying i think it impossible; even in modern times, countries like GER or ITA had their refereeing scandals and the fact no such thing is known about other top leagues like ESP or UK doesn't automatically mean it didn't happen, it could also mean no one is looking very closely. Its about money and fame, sometimes even politics, and people will cheat for that.

Before the WC system was changed to its current state, there were referees from very minor leagues without any pro experience used, and those were the ones refereeing in the kickout phase because refs from countries still in the tournament had to be sent home.
At some point, there were mixed refereeing teams who couldn't even talk to each other for language reasons (see Wembley 1966).

So, Moreno may not have been a stellar example, but he is far from being the only candidate for that title.

vav
06-18-2018, 04:54 AM
Amazing. Of the top 4 teams, only 1 won their opening game - barely. :)

Do tell. Go Mexico ;)

echappist
06-18-2018, 11:22 AM
And...they got GER to pay for it, on top of it all! ;)

alright, admit it, where did you see it first?

granted, it's a great joke. The one I saw reads: Chancellor Merkel phoned President Trump that she's found his fabled Mexican Wall in Russia, but Germany had to pay for it.

What a game by Memo Ochoa. To think, dude was barely getting by in la Liga, seeing his team relegated in the 2016-17 season.

-------------------------------------

And Panama continues its fine Concacaf bush league tactics at the World Cup finals, only to find that refs this level has no patience for it and have booked them five times over in 60 minutes

echappist
06-18-2018, 11:33 AM
No idea about the match in question, but i doubt this point very, very much.

WCs history has a plethora of comical refereeing, starting in 1930 (Gilberto Leonel de Almeida Rego - he ended the Arg-Fra match 6min early, just in the very second a french player was about to score the equalizer; in the HF URU-YUG he disallowed a regular YUG goal, but allowed one for URU where the ball had been out and kicked back in by a policeman before - YUG had eliminated his BRA team earlier).
Also, the accusations of refereeing in favor of the WC home team is as old as the tournament itself; afaik, there has never been proof in form of a late confession or the like.
I'm not saying i think it impossible; even in modern times, countries like GER or ITA had their refereeing scandals and the fact no such thing is known about other top leagues like ESP or UK doesn't automatically mean it didn't happen, it could also mean no one is looking very closely. Its about money and fame, sometimes even politics, and people will cheat for that.

Before the WC system was changed to its current state, there were referees from very minor leagues without any pro experience used, and those were the ones refereeing in the kickout phase because refs from countries still in the tournament had to be sent home.
At some point, there were mixed refereeing teams who couldn't even talk to each other for language reasons (see Wembley 1966).

So, Moreno may not have been a stellar example, but he is far from being the only candidate for that title.
He may not be the only one, but he's in pole position, by a long margin. One thing Cadence90 and I did agree on even with our disagreement is that Moreno was incredibly inept and made some inexplicable decisions. For example, one doesn't call diving in the attacking third when one is 40 yards from the action... you really ought to have seen that game to realize how inept he was. I'm of the opinion that he got bought off, too. Moreno's subsequent actions were also horrible, with numerous questionable calls in what was left of his officiating career.

------------------------------------

also @wc1934, good points you made the other day. LA never injured me in any way, and I didn't even follow cycling that much back then, but while I could overlook your Bassos, Contadors, and Hamiltons, I just don't have an ounce of sympathy for LA (or rider #15), for that matter

also, your boy Mertens opened the score line with a screamer

Jaybee
06-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Is the USMNT really worse than Panama?

Wait, don’t answer that.

echappist
06-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Wait, don’t answer that.

you don't have to be better than the U.S., (Panama tied at home and lost away), just need to have a whole host of other reasons line up to aid your effort. I still believe that even the order in which the games were played had a role

wc1934
06-18-2018, 12:43 PM

Wait, don’t answer that.
No - in the CONCACAF qualifying matches USA was better than Panama.;):rolleyes:
They drew the first game and USA won 4-0 in the second match.

cadence90
06-18-2018, 12:58 PM
.... ..

cadence90
06-18-2018, 01:05 PM
.... ..

martl
06-18-2018, 01:28 PM
Well, then, how can you comment at all, especially with such certainty about all of your doubt, if you do not know even the rudiments of the story? :confused:

That's very odd, to make statements like yours here below while simultaneously admitting to having "no idea" regarding the match and referee being discussed here. What is the point?

If you've read my post, i wasn't commenting on the game in question. At all. I was elaborating on your statement about Moreno possibly being the worst ever, and giving my thoughts about the general level of refereeing at WCs.

We got to realize that superlatives are quick at hand in an era where every incident in every match is on 12 different camera angles and commented upon in the media ad nauseam. Just because its on 6 different slomo shots it doesnt mean its the worst/best that ever happened. This goes for positive superlatives as well (apparently we are watching 10 different GOATs in one league alone, and 10 new ones every season, too - lucky us).

cadence90
06-18-2018, 01:42 PM
.... ..

R3awak3n
06-18-2018, 01:54 PM
I mean, I thought England was going to destroy Tun after the first 15 minutes but that PK came at the wrong time. TUN has has no chances though

cadence90
06-18-2018, 02:01 PM
.... ..

R3awak3n
06-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Yes, but closer than we thought, right? Even without the PK, 1-0 is not great.

Such a weird tournament so far. Not a single focused, clear, consistent, dominant team in evidence yet.

yeah, 1-0 was not enough. They are playing better. I think they will win this one.

An agree, out of the top 4 teams only 1 won... Not a single team is standing out like old world cups which is great. It is going to be a good one.

cadence90
06-18-2018, 02:08 PM
.... ..

ltwtsculler91
06-18-2018, 02:11 PM
yeah, 1-0 was not enough. They are playing better. I think they will win this one.

An agree, out of the top 4 teams only 1 won... Not a single team is standing out like old world cups which is great. It is going to be a good one.

I think so far the standout teams played each other: Spain and Portugal both looked very good playing their own respective styles and crafting chances against difficult opponents.

Granted I'm slightly biased (as are you) but I think that the "top 4" stat is getting thrown around too much without considering that one of them played what is in my mind the #5 team going in.

Jaybee
06-18-2018, 02:36 PM
No - in the CONCACAF qualifying matches USA was better than Panama.;):rolleyes:
They drew the first game and USA won 4-0 in the second match.

Understood, I watched both matches.

More a comment of how badly PAN got trucked by BEL. Then again, USA is in for a similar beating by BEL 4 years ago without a nuclear performance from Howard.

cadence90
06-18-2018, 02:36 PM
.... ..

ltwtsculler91
06-18-2018, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure I understand, no matter what ranking metric we choose.

Of the matches involving "top" teams so far, ESP-POR may be somewhat close in terms of talent; GER-MEX not really; ARG-ISL is mainly hype, and not; BRA-SWI definitely not, FRA-AUS definitely not; BEL-PAN definitely not; ENG-TUN definitely not.

I must not be understanding your post.

That is exactly what I mean, I would consider POR to be a top team (won Euros, all players have experience in major competition), so the fact that ESP drew was unsurprising and expected in many places. Running around claiming the "top 4" teams were all poor is somewhat misleading and unfair to the one who played decent opposition.

At the end of the day FRA and ESP did what was expected and claimed points. Germany had a poor showing against what I'd consider a sleeper side, and BRA ran into the type of team that always frustrates them: a highly organized and well drilled defensive side who can hit on the break.

Claiming ENG or BEL are "top sides" is stretching it in my mind. England doesn't have a midfield and is built on EPL hype, and BEL has a lot of nice pieces but hasn't put it together on the pitch against solid opposition

cadence90
06-18-2018, 02:59 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-18-2018, 03:37 PM
OK, you are more generous than I am then.

ESP-POR was good, fair even; we agree the most balanced opponents, by miles.
I thought that FRA-AUS was barely acceptable for teams of such disparate talent.
GER-MEX, ARG-ISL, BRA-SWI were mostly lethargic, piss-poor, very uninspired performances by much stronger sides against decidedly weaker ones. Imo.

I meant "top" sides in terms of general rankings etc., not purely personal opinions which will obviously vastly differ. Yes, ENG and BEL are not top 5; BEL are much closer than ENG, though. POR may or may not be, either way is OK. But by the same token it would be equally unfair to then place MEX or SWI anywhere near that top tier. They are not, not even relative to the teams they played and the "tough opponent" discussion.

ENG 2 - TUN 1 is still a weak result for ENG, relative to TUN's talent, no matter how over-hyped ENG may be. TUN is a complete minnow.
love that word in relation to description of football teams

also, who knows how many Tunisian players were fasting...

------------------------------------------

btw, both you and wc1934 have standing offers for free beer on me whenever you find yourself in PA/NJ

ltwtsculler91
06-18-2018, 03:38 PM
OK, you are more generous than I am then.

ESP-POR was good, fair even; we agree the most balanced opponents, by miles.
I thought that FRA-AUS was barely acceptable for teams of such disparate talent.
GER-MEX, ARG-ISL, BRA-SWI were mostly lethargic, piss-poor, very uninspired performances by much stronger sides against decidedly weaker ones. Imo.

I meant "top" sides in terms of general rankings etc., not purely personal opinions which will obviously vastly differ. Yes, ENG and BEL are not top 5; BEL are much closer than ENG, though. POR may or may not be, either way is OK. But by the same token it would be equally unfair to then place MEX or SWI anywhere near that top tier. They are not, not even relative to the teams they played and the "tough opponent" discussion.

ENG 2 - TUN 1 is still a weak result for ENG, relative to TUN's talent, no matter how over-hyped ENG may be. TUN is a complete minnow.

Fair enough, I can understand where you're coming from. I think the Swiss and Mexico are dangerous opposition in the right circumstances and posed match up issues with how they played but you're right, if GER and BRA were really that good they should've found ways to win.

The FRA game to me at the end of the day, they still got points even if they had to grind. Maybe it's just my background in sport but at this level just getting the win is most important. It's almost like in a grand tour, it's about minimizing losses (in this case literally rather than the time gap) and there's a lot to be said for getting a result even when you play poorly..

Agree on ENG vs TUN but like the ARG-ICL game, I didn't expect much more than that. ENG is vastly overrated, and ARG-ICL is more evenly matched than most think: talent vs organization

galgal
06-18-2018, 03:53 PM
Wouldn't disagree with above. Would just add that IMO, Iceland played much better than Tunisia. The latter were pretty awful, would never have scored but for that completely unnecessary foul by Walker - and looked tentative and shaky in defense. On that last corner, there shouldn't even have been a corner if the Tunisian defender had hoofed it up field or sent the ball over the sideline when he had possession, instead he decided to hang onto the ball for whatever reason and gave up a cheap corner. England looked like scoring on every set piece and really should/could have scored a bunch more.
Iceland is a well organized team but remember they got torn apart by FRA in last EURO. ARG certainly has forwards to have done the same.

cadence90
06-18-2018, 04:03 PM
.... ..

galgal
06-18-2018, 04:07 PM
I think the fasting period ended a few days ago, not sure when.

R3awak3n
06-18-2018, 04:09 PM
don't quote me on this but I heard all ITA fans are now supporting POR for the WC :banana:

ltwtsculler91
06-18-2018, 04:12 PM
Yes, that all makes complete sense; we are on the same page. :)
And you're right, a win is a win, period, and must be obtained. Ties are going to be more deadly than normal this year, because of the balance.

Are you a POR fan like R3awak3n?

I thought that Uruguay, Serbia, Croatia, Peru, Senegal, Nigeria could be strong to tough dark horses, but maybe not. Uruguay is always strong but often lapses too much; Serbia is often scary and then doesn't bite; Peru already lost; Nigeria looked weak; and Croatia sent Kalinic home today for disciplinary reasons, which could be a significant loss.

Spot on.

I'm Spanish and an ESP fan but I respect POR and as a Real Madrid fan know how devastating CR7 can be on his day... If I had pics of my Bedford (well and if it was built) you'd know :banana::banana:

I think of your potential dark horses, Uruguay and Croatia can make it the furthest. Both have deep and experienced squads who can grind out some wins. I like Peru but think the lack of experience will hurt them

cadence90
06-18-2018, 04:15 PM
.... ..

cadence90
06-18-2018, 04:17 PM
.... ..

R3awak3n
06-18-2018, 04:26 PM
I'm Spanish and an ESP fan but I respect POR and as a Real Madrid fan know how devastating CR7 can be on his day... If I had pics of my Bedford (well and if it was built) you'd know :banana::banana:

I think of your potential dark horses, Uruguay and Croatia can make it the furthest. Both have deep and experienced squads who can grind out some wins. I like Peru but think the lack of experience will hurt them

Wow, we have a fair amount of fandom/representation here. That's great.

It is funny that all my Real friends were "ok" with Ronaldos last goal as in, they rather Spain win but if someone was to score then Ronaldo and deep down inside happy about. They were equally as delighted as Messi PK miss

cadence90
06-18-2018, 04:33 PM
.... ..

galgal
06-18-2018, 04:36 PM
It is funny that all my Real friends were "ok" with Ronaldos last goal as in, they rather Spain win but if someone was to score then Ronaldo and deep down inside happy about. They were equally as delighted as Messi PK miss

Interesting. Suspected that Spanish Real Madrid fans would pick Real Madrid over Spain in the World Cup:fight:

ltwtsculler91
06-18-2018, 07:46 PM

Are they Spanish?

I almost lost it when that went in, but I do respect the skill it took to make that free kick. I can't see how anyone who's Spanish would be ok since it was Ronaldo, I'd still rather have the win

wc1934
06-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Understood, I watched both matches.

More a comment of how badly PAN got trucked by BEL. Then again, USA is in for a similar beating by BEL 4 years ago without a nuclear performance from Howard.
I understand - I was joking/being a smart a** with my response - I tried to insert the sarcastic and wink faces to show that.

Jaybee
06-18-2018, 07:59 PM
:beer:I understand - I was joking/being a smart a** with my response - I tried to insert the sarcastic and wink faces to show that.

wc1934
06-18-2018, 08:03 PM
At the end of this article are a bunch more.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/romelu-lukaku-ive-got-some-things-to-say

wc1934
06-18-2018, 08:05 PM
:beer:
Salute!

cadence90
06-18-2018, 09:32 PM
.... ..

R3awak3n
06-18-2018, 10:35 PM
What club team do you support, #1? A POR team or not?

I am a Porto fan but I don't watch football all that much lately

Interesting. Suspected that Spanish Real Madrid fans would pick Real Madrid over Spain in the World Cup:fight:

they would have rather he missed but as ltwtsculler said, they respect Ronaldo

Are they Spanish?

I almost lost it when that went in, but I do respect the skill it took to make that free kick. I can't see how anyone who's Spanish would be ok since it was Ronaldo, I'd still rather have the win

Spanish and exactly like you. They were mad but respected the skill

galgal
06-18-2018, 10:40 PM
I don't either, and definitely yes regarding the win.
I wonder if it is an RM thing? I.e. would it be that way with Zidane, or Eto'o, or Beckham, or Carlos, or Laudrup, etc. playing against ESP? Or is it only CR7 for some reason?

No Inter fan would ever root for a great Inter foreign player to beat ITA, ever.

Agree. I don't think most Spanish RM fans would root for an RM player over Spain but I find it telling that *some* RM fans would be OK with *their* RM player scoring against their county in a WORLD CUP game . In other words, they must believe RM is bigger than country and World Cup. I can't imagine ANY fans of ANY other club thinking that way ever.
Btw, am I the only one to find coverage of CR7 performance against Spain way hyperbolic. Did pundits & viewers just discover that he is a great player?
Let's review. 1st goal is a penalty on a needless foul, not like he was through on goal and sure to score. And yeah, he's kinda good on penalties. 2nd goal was a goalie error on a long distance optimistic strike. 3rd goal again after a dumb foul when he was facing away from goal and no imminent threat to score. And yes, it was a superbly struck free kick at a key moment. He's done that before you know.
3 mistakes by Spain and he made them pay. And credit to him for that. But not some hyperbolic great performance where he dominated the game, Spain dominated but for mistakes which he didn't fail to take advantage of.

Mzilliox
06-18-2018, 10:55 PM
Agree. I don't think most Spanish RM fans would root for an RM player over Spain but I find it telling that *some* RM fans would be OK with *their* RM player scoring against their county in a WORLD CUP game . In other words, they must believe RM is bigger than country and World Cup. I can't imagine ANY fans of ANY other club thinking that way ever.
Btw, am I the only one to find coverage of CR7 performance against Spain way hyperbolic. Did pundits & viewers just discover that he is a great player?
Let's review. 1st goal is a penalty on a needless foul, not like he was through on goal and sure to score. And yeah, he's kinda good on penalties. 2nd goal was a goalie error on a long distance optimistic strike. 3rd goal again after a dumb foul when he was facing away from goal and no imminent threat to score. And yes, it was a superbly struck free kick at a key moment. He's done that before you know.
3 mistakes by Spain and he made them pay. And credit to him for that. But not some hyperbolic great performance where he dominated the game, Spain dominated but for mistakes which he didn't fail to take advantage of.

yes, it was blown overboard, it was a draw, in the first game in group stages, a result that really doesn't harm or help either side at the end of the day. lots of work yet to be done, now if he did this in a semi final or final, to push the thing to golden goal...

still, he finished his chances, and free kicks are not easy. penalties are easy, but not free kicks. that second goal was ridiculous, a professional keeper should not put that in his own net

cadence90
06-18-2018, 11:07 PM
.... ..

R3awak3n
06-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Great! One of my favorite architects in the world is Portuguese, Alvaro Siza, from Porto.

I was fortunate enough to meet him a few times and to talk with him on long drives. If it wasn't architecture, for him it was Porto, Porto, Porto. No Benfica, no Sporting, none but Porto.

So, of course my favorite POR team is Porto!
(What a fantastic city, too. So beautiful.)

:beer:

You think so?
Tell that to Franco Baresi, Daniele Massaro, and Robi Baggio...ITA-BRA 1994 WC Final A.E.T....

:crap:

funny thing, I am from Lisbon but Porto fan. Beautiful city indeed. Been a while since I have gone back though.

PKs are easy yes, except when you rally have to score one and you hold the entire countries weight on your shoulders. That much pressure will make you make mistakes. I would NEVER want to be the one to have to do a PK, no thanks.

What about Japan beating Colombia? Another unexpected result for me.

andeww
06-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Wow what an unexpected start to this cup. Looking forward to Rus- Egypt, is Salah supposed to be playing?

deechee
06-19-2018, 10:12 AM

Yeah! Take that Google stats! (just complaining about how google shows the odds when you look up the games.) Looking forward to watching Mo Salah this afternoon.

echappist
06-19-2018, 10:25 AM

Brain fart by the defender. This isn't the 90th minute of the game, where your absence won't mean much in the grand scheme of things. An early send off really kills your team's chances...

Wow what an unexpected start to this cup. Looking forward to Rus- Egypt, is Salah supposed to be playing?

the Egyptian King returns today. they are really in a bind now, due to goal differentials, and that Uruguay may not care by the third match. Better get 2-3 on Russia and hope that the Saudis keel over

echappist
06-19-2018, 10:42 AM
I was just about to post that Poland might be weaker than their position suggests. Next thing I see, Senegal up on a POL own goal

R3awak3n
06-19-2018, 11:17 AM
/\ agreed. Poland can't finish for crap

cadence90
06-19-2018, 01:19 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-19-2018, 01:43 PM
what's your guys's take on that second Senegal goal? The ref seemed to have gifted an opportunity, which the Senegal player took quite well

----------------------

As for Salah, wonder how rusty he is...

galgal
06-19-2018, 01:51 PM
what's your guys's take on that second Senegal goal? The ref seemed to have gifted an opportunity, which the Senegal player took quite well

----------------------

As for Salah, wonder how rusty he is...

Niang who scored the second SEN goal, played for FRA youth teams but given that he had no chance of making the senior squad opted for SEN. Nicely taken goal but yes the ref gifted that opportunity.

cadence90
06-19-2018, 02:01 PM
.... ..

hoonjr
06-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Shocking, Putin's boys doing well in a tournament they are hosting??? I wonder what pharmaceutical advantage they'll be caught for after this is over. Will it be enough to ban them from all international competitions for the next few years. Before the haters hate, didn't the entire Russian federation get banned from the past winter olympics? Or was that fake news?

cadence90
06-19-2018, 03:43 PM
.... ..

echappist
06-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Oh, boy, it's déjà vu all over ugh-gain.... I think I'll sit this round out.

echappist, you want to take it from here?

:D.:beer:.:D

Would love to, but i’ll sit this one out as well; let’s pass the buck to wc1934 :p

cadence90
06-19-2018, 03:55 PM
.... ..

goonster
06-20-2018, 07:53 AM
Shocking, Putin's boys doing well in a tournament they are hosting???

Sample size is still small, but Russia, as a team, have now covered more ground (118 & 115 km) in their first two games than any other team.

They are also tied with France '98 for best opening (eight goals scored, one conceded) by a host nation.

Host nations do traditionally overperform, and their opponents have not been great, but let's just say that there was very little pre-tournament data to suggest this kind of performance.

peanutgallery
06-20-2018, 08:04 AM
This whole event is for the glory of Mother Russia. If you win, everyone gets an apartment with a window, lose and it's the gulag (no windows)

That goal Egypt scored on themselves was good for 1 shipment of grain next winter

Pretty sure the opening of Russia's next game will feature a shirtless Putin on a Liger

Shocking, Putin's boys doing well in a tournament they are hosting??? I wonder what pharmaceutical advantage they'll be caught for after this is over. Will it be enough to ban them from all international competitions for the next few years. Before the haters hate, didn't the entire Russian federation get banned from the past winter olympics? Or was that fake news?