PDA

View Full Version : OT: "The Americans" series finale (Spoilers obviously)

MattTuck
06-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Watched this last night. What a punch to the gut.

This show did such a good job of showing the cumulative wear that these two (Philip especially) endured during their mission. By the end of it, they had so little energy to do anything. Their vitality was completely sapped. Totally passive and sedentary for the second half the episode. Car, train, plane, car... just hollowed up corpses.

That brothers in arms song was tragic.

I spent most of the series thinking they'd be asked to do a mission too dangerous or destabilizing and would reach out to Stan, wrangle political asylum, and go live in Montana. The world moved against them too fast.

bheight1
06-12-2018, 09:45 AM
I was thinking they would be assisted by KGB upon entry back into USSR when the documents were being checked after she killed the colonel 2nd to last episode, but it ended properly. Having watched the entire series, seeing the kids grow, the real life romance between two primary actors, the employ of real Russian actors with plot and subplots—they tied it altogether in the end, even if the show was unbelievable and drawn out. Fx has some of best programming on TV.

tlittlefield
06-12-2018, 09:48 AM
One of the best shows ever!!

But no one got killed so they left it open for a possible return.,

MattTuck
06-12-2018, 10:05 AM
I was thinking they would be assisted by KGB upon entry back into USSR when the documents were being checked after she killed the colonel 2nd to last episode, but it ended properly. Having watched the entire series, seeing the kids grow, the real life romance between two primary actors, the employ of real Russian actors with plot and subplots—they tied it altogether in the end, even if the show was unbelievable and drawn out. Fx has some of best programming on TV.

Yes, a few of the middle seasons seemed that way. This season did not; to me anyway.

Oleg Burov, probably the most moderate, well informed and thoughtful character in the whole series, seems to have gotten the shaft.

The fact that they weren't killed at the border might indicate that Stan did send the encoded message, so maybe Burov was able to win him over and find his way home. I'll choose to believe that.