PDA

View Full Version : Using Guilt to Get What You Want

znfdl
10-22-2006, 07:01 PM
A little background is that I want to do the Elite PacTour next year. My wife has been waffling about letting me take the 17 days to ride across the good ol USA.

When I dropped my son of for Hebrew school this mornng, I talked to the Rabbi about doing a fundrasier for the Temple. The Temple has about 40 families. The Rabbi was quite enthusiastic about the fundraiser.

When I got home, I told my wife what I did. Her response was "Stick the knife in and twist, now how can I possible say no." :D

Well it looks like I will be signing up for the Elite Tour tommorow. Now I just need the time to train.

Xyzzy
10-22-2006, 07:07 PM
When I was a kid I wanted a pet turtle:

"Mom, can I go sky diving?"

"No!"

"Mom, can I have a dirt bike?"

"No!"

A few hours later, meekly:

"Mom, could I have a pet turtle?"

How could any Mom say no?

Sandy
10-22-2006, 07:51 PM
When I was young, I wanted a German Shepherd puppy.

I used your very clever approach.

I asked my mom if I could jump off of a very high bridge.

She said yes.

I was in traction for almost 2 years.

I never got the dog.

Simple Sandy

djg
10-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Sneaky. Very sneaky.

I am humbled. Will you teach me, rabbi?

Tailwinds
10-22-2006, 09:41 PM
A little background is that I want to do the Elite PacTour next year.

I thought about trying that, but then my sanity got the best of me.

Good luck! Let us hear all about it.

sc53
10-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Whoa Zin, I rode with a guy today who is planning to ride cross country in May from LA to Boston with Back Roads (maybe CrossRoads?), doing 80 miles a day for 50 days. I told him about you and wondered if you had signed up for the same trip. Guess NOT if you're doing the whole thing in 17 days. How many miles per day is that? You are in superb shape. Your fundraiser should be based on speed not distance per day. Good luck!

znfdl
10-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks all.

Today, I submitted my application with my $$$$.

SC, I am in decent shape right now, but must be in much better shape by next June. I need to raise my long distance cruising speed about 2mph without an increase in my heart rate.

djg, I am happy to give lessons for my less manipulative mates.

Sandy: Atleast you are making up for your deprivation of a dog when you were young.

Too Tall
10-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Two things Znfndl ol pal. First, you said that out loud. Second, you are going str. to he!! Boyeeeee are you gonna pay for that bit. Wooo hooo, deeeep do do.

PS - All kidding aside you are a mench n a 1/2 for this. Very nice.

Ray
10-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Whoa Zin, I rode with a guy today who is planning to ride cross country in May from LA to Boston with Back Roads (maybe CrossRoads?), doing 80 miles a day for 50 days. I told him about you and wondered if you had signed up for the same trip. Guess NOT if you're doing the whole thing in 17 days. How many miles per day is that? You are in superb shape. Your fundraiser should be based on speed not distance per day. Good luck!
These folks are amazing and/or nuts. Here's the description:

http://www.pactour.com/elite.htm

The first day is 128 miles, and everything else is north of 145 with a few double centuries tossed in for fun and most days between 165 and 185. I have nothing but deep respect for people who ride stuff like this, but I can't think of many things I'd less like to do, personally.

Good luck ZNFDL!

-Ray

saab2000
10-23-2006, 06:30 PM
If/when I move to DC we need to do some megalong rides together - you training for this ride and me to lose some KGs.

Nice tactics BTW! I approve.

39cross
10-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Wow! That's really something. I'll be looking forward to reading about your prep work, and when you hit the trail. I'm sure you'll be wanting to blog for us each night after a nice day out on the road, for us arm-chair PAC Tour Elite wannabees.

And I thought this was going to be the old joke about the rabbi and the cyclist...

znfdl
10-24-2006, 06:16 AM
Ray: Thanks. At the end of the ride I will let you know if I am nuts or not. ;)

Saab: I look forward to riding with you.

39Cross: If I have enough energy at the end of the day, I will be happy to blog the forum.

I think that there might one or two other forumites on the ride.

BumbleBeeDave
10-24-2006, 06:23 AM

39Cross: If I have enough energy at the end of the day, I will be happy to blog the forum.

. . . if you can do it! Could I do it? Yeah, probably so. Would I have lasting physical damage? Yeah, probably so. But am I jealous of you anyway? Yeah, probably so . . . :D

BBD

72gmc
10-24-2006, 11:58 AM
an impressive undertaking, znfdl... and impressive technique with your better half as well.

i'm interested in your prep work, if you feel like blogging that. and what, if anything, is a physical concern for you leading into an effort like this? aside from end-to-end pain, i mean. for me, it would be sore feet.

Sandy
10-24-2006, 12:30 PM

Too Tall? Too Tall's Queen?

If I do the ride, will you promise to wait up for me if I fall behind about 100 miles each day?? :)

Sandy

znfdl
10-24-2006, 12:57 PM
If I do the ride, will you promise to wait up for me if I fall behind about 100 miles each day?? :) Sandy

Sandy:

I am having a trail-a-bike outfitted for you. :D

3 of the people registered are riding serotta's

Ken Robb
10-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm near the start line so let me know if I can help in some small way--you know-- buy you a big red before the start, etc. Need a place with tools to assemble your bike?

Ken Robb
10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm near the start line so let me know if I can help in some small way--you know-- buy you a big red before the start, etc. Need a place with tools to assemble your bike? Sorry for my stuttering.