PDA

View Full Version : OT: Manuals - still relevant, or antiquated fun?

MattTuck
06-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Seems like it used to be that you'd get a new product that came with a hefty paper manual that allowed you to learn the proper operation, maintenance and repair of said product. Now, the web seems to have largely obviated the need for paper manuals. Everything is just a google search and mouse click away, and usually you can find a youtube video if necessary.

So, are paper manuals still relevant or just antiquated fun?

:help:
Sorry, had to do it. This is what I thought that other thread was going to be about.

eddief
06-11-2018, 09:15 AM
RTFM stupid!

William
06-11-2018, 09:17 AM
I can still get the printed tech manual for our JD tractor but they want $85 for it...or I can buy the disk for $40.

I like books, I can't easily take the disk out with me while I work on it.:banana:

William

p nut
06-11-2018, 09:39 AM
I thought this was going to be a different topic:

https://s.hswstatic.com/gif/todays-manuals-efficient-1.jpg

I can't remember the last time I cared to read the printed instructions/manuals.

Mark McM
06-11-2018, 10:52 AM
Some products still must contain hardcopy manuals for regulatory reasons. For example, all airplanes come with an operating manual (or many manuals) which must be available for reference during flight.

cderalow
06-11-2018, 11:02 AM
I still like an old school paper manual once in a while. What I don’t like is that most of them are now so generalized that a good portion of the information might not apply to your specific object.

Bike ones are notorious for that. They’re just general and don’t contain useful information for your specific bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
06-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Unnecessary in this day and age outside some instances with regulatory requirements where a printed manual makes sense.

I miss the ones that are well done, but they're also extraordinarily wasteful.

Tony T
06-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Everything is just a google search and mouse click away, and usually you can find a youtube video if necessary.

I D/L the manual and save, don't want to rely on a link when I need the info (that includes any good YouTube videos).
(I have 200+ documents in my Manuals Folder)

Peter P.
06-11-2018, 08:53 PM
i d/l the manual and save, don't want to rely on a link when i need the info (that includes any good youtube videos).
(i have 200+ documents in my manuals folder)

this.