PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless Road Tires - What's Recommended?

cd_davis
06-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Hi all - have only used Hutchinson Tubeless road tires, which were one of the only games in town. Several other brands have since entered the market.
Anybody have any strong recommendations on new Tubeless options?
Thanks, Chris

TurboTom
06-10-2018, 05:41 PM
I have used Schwalbe Pro's, Vittoria Corsa Speed's and I currently have a set of Specialized Bliss2 I'm trying. There are many to choose from now. The 23 mm Vittoria CS are the lightest and fastest but wear out way too fast! Schwalbe's are a very solid choice. I'm liking the Specialized so far.

Clean39T
06-10-2018, 05:54 PM
I picked up some 26c Spesh S-Works tubeless to use with Reynolds Strikes when they were on buy-one get-one-half-off --- but probably won't be mounting them until I get my Moots back from refinishing in July. Will report back though. This will be my first road tubeless experience.

Clean39T
06-10-2018, 05:55 PM
I have used Schwalbe Pro's, Vittoria Corsa Speed's and I currently have a set of Specialized Bliss2 I'm trying. There are many to choose from now. The 23 mm Vittoria CS are the lightest and fastest but wear out way too fast! Schwalbe's are a very solid choice. I'm liking the Specialized so far.

Very nice Vagen you've got there :hello:

Kirk007
06-10-2018, 07:36 PM
IRCs - a super sleeper choice.

dbnm
06-10-2018, 07:42 PM
IRC or Mavic.

ariw
06-10-2018, 08:02 PM
IRC

Ari

old fat man
06-10-2018, 08:56 PM
Hutchinson Fusion 2, 3, and 5 last the longest and zero issues for me

Schwalbe One's are good, medium lifespan, more supple, more sealant needed. I've had one flat with 5 or six of these over the years

Specialized S Works tubeless wore out quickly and flatted, 1 for 1. Won't bother with these again.

I'm waiting for the Vittoria Corsa 25mm to come in to try next

Road tubeless FTW

m_moses
06-11-2018, 11:05 AM
I’ve been very pleased with my Bontrager R3 26’s that I purchased here second hand. They’re mounted on some Aeolus 5 TLR rims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TurboTom
06-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Hutchinson Fusion 2, 3, and 5 last the longest and zero issues for me

Schwalbe One's are good, medium lifespan, more supple, more sealant needed. I've had one flat with 5 or six of these over the years

Specialized S Works tubeless wore out quickly and flatted, 1 for 1. Won't bother with these again.

I'm waiting for the Vittoria Corsa 25mm to come in to try next

Road tubeless FTW

I have a friend running the Vittoria Corsa 25's and he loves them.

bewheels
06-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Which IRCs are you guys running?

hobbanero
06-16-2018, 08:49 PM
Note that tubeless tires and rims vary a touch, and so some tire/rim combos work better than others. I love the Schwalbe Pro Ones, and they fit nicely on my Easton carbon rims...but I can't get them to seal on Roval rims, so I use Spesh Turbos on those. I flatted a Turbo and a small hole did not seal...disappointing, but only a single data point and maybe not a tire issue.

In terms of width, a Schwalbe 23 is the same as a Spesh 24, and those are both 26mm on wide rims (eg. 20mm inner bead width).

Kirk007
06-28-2018, 12:41 AM
Which IRCs are you guys running?

I've been running the roadlites (What TK had recommended somewhere along the line) but I'm about to try the Formula Pro I think, maybe the xGuard.

silverblue
06-29-2018, 10:48 PM
It's my first foray into tubeless technologies, and I have a combination of Schwalbe Pro One 28mm and Mercury Racing M1 alloy clinchers which are tubeless compatible. I need to inflate before every weekly ride, losing most of my air pressure after 7 days. I didn't realize that the variances in untested combinations could be an issue until after I assembled it all and experienced them.

Note that tubeless tires and rims vary a touch, and so some tire/rim combos work better than others. I love the Schwalbe Pro Ones, and they fit nicely on my Easton carbon rims...but I can't get them to seal on Roval rims, so I use Spesh Turbos on those. I flatted a Turbo and a small hole did not seal...disappointing, but only a single data point and maybe not a tire issue.

In terms of width, a Schwalbe 23 is the same as a Spesh 24, and those are both 26mm on wide rims (eg. 20mm inner bead width).

ColonelJLloyd
06-29-2018, 11:12 PM
Positive feedback on this forum regarding the G-One Speed 700x30 as well as my own experience with the previous name for this tire (Big One) in 700x60 prompted me to order a pair of the former. If they are simply a narrower version of the Big One I will be very, very happy.

It's my first foray into tubeless technologies, and I have a combination of Schwalbe Pro One 28mm and Mercury Racing M1 alloy clinchers which are tubeless compatible. I need to inflate before every weekly ride, losing most of my air pressure after 7 days. I didn't realize that the variances in untested combinations could be an issue until after I assembled it all and experienced them.

And you don't need to put air into your butyl tubes once a week? This is just an accepted part of cycling to me.

doomridesout
06-29-2018, 11:27 PM
Probably gauche, but here's a quick plug for my classifieds thread for IRC Roadlites (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2388241#post2388241) that I picked up today at a bike shop liquidation sale.

silverblue
06-30-2018, 12:59 AM
I can get away with two weeks' worth of riding with regular butyl tubes before refilling - pumped to 110 day 1, maybe around 85 day 8.

With the tubeless setup I have, I'll pump up to 80 day 1, and it will be 20 next week.

Positive feedback on this forum regarding the G-
And you don't need to put air into your butyl tubes once a week? This is just an accepted part of cycling to me.

Cat3roadracer
06-30-2018, 03:38 AM
Schwalbe Pro One 28's on HED Belgium +. Two ounces of Stans in each. Pumped to 85 three weeks ago, have yet to add air.

Hobine
06-30-2018, 05:42 AM
I’ve had excellent results with the Panaracer Race A EVO 3.
They were a tight fit on the American Classic rims, but hold air and ride great.

nalax
06-30-2018, 05:57 AM
Schwalbe Pro One 28's on HED Belgium +. Two ounces of Stans in each. Pumped to 85 three weeks ago, have yet to add air.

What is the Pro One width on the Belgium +? I’ve been thinking of this combination.

thunderworks
06-30-2018, 10:12 AM
There's a killer deal in the classified ads right now for pairs of IRC Roadlite tires. Dirt cheap.

YesNdeed
06-30-2018, 11:44 AM
I find the Schwalbe Pro Ones hard to beat. I could ask for a slight bit more puncture protection, but with the deals from across the pond being what they are, I am so, so good with the overall quality and value.
https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-pro-one-microskin-tl-easy-folding-road-bike-tyre-89170.html

I have also tried IRC Road Lites which are very good. And the deal in the classifieds right now is a no brainer.

I rode the Specialized Trigger 2bliss in the Crusher of 2016 in the 32 (I think) size, and for another year or so afterwards. Very good tire, easy to mount, very durable, not quite wide enough for me to want to use them in the Crusher again. I think they make a 38 width too, so for an in town purchase they are a great value, and I would consider giving them a try.

pakora
06-30-2018, 12:23 PM
It looks like when we say "road tires" in this thread we mean 23-28 width and not simply untreaded.

But since someone's mentioning bigger tires, I highly recommend the widest tires you can clear in your stays and your seat tube. I have had great success with the Compass tires (48c) for mixed surface riding and would never go back to narrow tires if I had the choice.