PDA

View Full Version : DiNotte Lighting ???

DHallerman
06-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Hey, so I placed an order last weekend with DiNotte Lighting (http://dinottelighting.com) -- not my first with them, love their stuff.

Didn't hear from them, so called on Thursday -- got through after "circuit busy" problems -- and was told my order would ship the next day. It didn't ship. Still shows unshipped, and they didn't get back to me after I left a message early today.

So just wondering if there are any snafus going on. Hope not, but seems odd, since I've gotten fine service for my five previous orders.

Dave, who as he says loves their stuff for being bright and logical and well made

DHallerman
06-12-2018, 06:51 AM
I am surprised no reply from other Paceline people.

Is anyone else here a DiNotte Lighting customer?

Dave, who is simply trying to figure out what's what with the order he placed nearly 10 days ago with a company whose shipping policy reads "All items ship same or next business day unless otherwise noted" and nothing was otherwise noted with his order and at the same time he cannot get through to this company

Nooch
06-12-2018, 07:12 AM
Yes, a dinotte customer, also with no prior issues. I'm sure it'll come through, but I totally understand being concerned!

pobrien
06-12-2018, 07:57 AM
I placed an order for new lights on Friday evening and received email notice documenting the purchase. I expect the lights should ship early this week.

I have bought from them before as well. They have always been first class to deal with.

cp43
06-12-2018, 09:24 AM
I have a bunch of their lights, and have been very happy with the lights and service. Its been just over a year since I last ordered from them though.

Chris

chris7ed
06-12-2018, 07:05 PM
I emailed them a week ago about a light that won't work. No response. Their phone wasn't working then too. I sent another email yesterday. No response to that yet. Will try the phone tomorrow.

Marc40a
06-12-2018, 09:49 PM
I sent an email last week essentially asking to be convinced their amber daytime blinker is highly visible despite the relatively low lumen rating.

They responded within a day defending the product.

Still considering a purchase, though, less so now.

pjm
06-13-2018, 12:02 AM
I sent an email last week essentially asking to be convinced their amber daytime blinker is highly visible despite the relatively low lumen rating.

The amber headlight is very visible, even on a sunny day.

saab2000
06-13-2018, 12:13 AM
I own one Dinotte light, a used 400R taillight, and it's the best taillight I have ever owned. This is based on driver reports and reports from other riders, a mile behind.

It's a bit old fashioned but it works fine if charged and it's the only taillight which has ever received compliments from car drivers.

FWIW, I bought it used a few years ago from another forum member and it's one of the best things I've ever purchased. I'd buy from them again based on this one light.

Call them up on the phone to see what's going on. Likely nothing sinister.

Asudef
06-13-2018, 12:28 AM
I own one Dinotte light, a used 400R taillight...

Think I have the same light but its way too bright to use in a group. Have alwayse wanted an amber front though but I'm over carrying a separate battery pack.

saab2000
06-13-2018, 12:35 AM
Think I have the same light but its way too bright to use in a group. Have alwayse wanted an amber front though but I'm over carrying a separate battery pack.

I agree, but it's good solo and it can be turned down to a less extreme level. It's a good light for much riding, if not all riding.

This is at a bright setting. I haven't been hit from behind yet with this light. I ride it at this brightness only in sunny daylight, and it's plenty visible.

Hopefully there is no issue with Dinotte, for their lights are superb.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8103/8595165980_0e82f259be_z.jpg

pobrien
06-13-2018, 08:26 AM
The new lights I have ordered have integrated batteries. I have their older lights (great lights) but really wanted the convenience of integrated batteries.

One side benefit may be fewer folks drafting me without my knowing it. They would really need a tow if they want to do it with the new rear light in place!

Northmeadow
06-25-2018, 08:56 AM
I’m in the same boat, I placed an order last Wednesday the 13th and received an order confirmation number, but as yet the order remains “unshipped”. I’ve tried an email and a phone call, but no response. I’m assuming this is their busy season

unterhausen
06-25-2018, 09:25 AM
for daylight use, their taillights are pretty amazing. Not sure I want something that bright at night, it's a conundrum.

woodworker
06-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Lights are great, and they've always been responsive in the past. My guess is that they will respond.

Northmeadow
06-27-2018, 03:08 PM
Got it sorted with Dinotte, turns out they were holding back a few days on their orders so they could include the new enhanced batteries with their units. I just didn’t get the email. It shipped today..

Calnago
06-28-2018, 06:52 AM
I have a Quad Red taillight and it’s really great. I got it not only for its brightness but as much for how long the battery will last on a full charge as I often find myself out for the whole day and sometimes into the evening (I loiter alot). I’ve had mine for about two years but don’t see any different specs on runtimes etc for the Quad Red when I just looked. Do you know how the new batteries are “enhanced”? Just curious. Are the new enhanced batteries even applicable to the Quad Red model? Thanks.

Northmeadow
06-28-2018, 07:43 AM
All they said was, “more power/longer run time”.

pobrien
06-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Appreciate the update Northmeadow on your update on DiNotte shipping. Am looking forward to my new lights arriving soon.

Marc40a
07-14-2018, 09:15 PM

I’m quoting myself here, just for a follow up.

After seeing the OP’s situation resolved, I ponied up and got the quad amber and quad red.

After being familiar with Cygolite’s Hotshot 150 and their Pro 1100 headlight, I didn’t think there was any way to justify the cost of the Dinotte set...

I was wrong. These Dinotte lights are in a whole different class. I’m impressed. Looking forward to testing them.

gasman
07-14-2018, 11:57 PM
I’m quoting myself here, just for a follow up.

After seeing the OP’s situation resolved, I ponied up and got the quad amber and quad red.

After being familiar with Cygolite’s Hotshot 150 and their Pro 1100 headlight, I didn’t think there was any way to justify the cost of the Dinotte set...

I was wrong. These Dinotte lights are in a whole different class. I’m impressed. Looking forward to testing them.

You won’t be disappointed. I run my Quad on medium flash/solid during the day and I always get noticed. Flipped off 2 weeks ago but noticed.

saab2000
07-15-2018, 05:56 AM
You won’t be disappointed. I run my Quad on medium flash/solid during the day and I always get noticed. Flipped off 2 weeks ago but noticed.

Yeah, last time I got flipped off it was with my Dinotte. But they saw us as well.

cachagua
07-15-2018, 11:26 AM
I always get noticed. Flipped off 2 weeks ago but noticed.

Is that really what we want?

I have serious reservations about lights that purposely irritate drivers. There are ways to be seen just as effectively without pissing people off, and that seems to me a much better choice.

Besides which -- when I'm on my bike, lights like that are even MORE irritating for me.

Just no good reason for 'em.

DHallerman
07-15-2018, 12:14 PM
That's so true. I mean, drivers never flip us off when we don't sport bright lights on our bikes.

Dave, who always loves to remind himself that correlation is not causation

P.S. My experience far from flip-offs has been several drivers thanking me and my wife for the bright DiNotte lights on our bikes because they prefer to see us.

P.P.S. And @cachagua, putting my snark to the side, whether or not one is advantaged by bike lights is greatly influenced by where you're cycling. Sometimes even relatively quiet roads mean cyclists benefit from bright lights because those same quiet roads mean the cars you do see often go fast down the center of the road...because the roads are quiet and relatively empty for them, too. Not excusing that, just describing the Paradox of Quiet Roads that I see regularly around here.

I have serious reservations about lights that purposely irritate drivers. There are ways to be seen just as effectively without pissing people off, and that seems to me a much better choice.

Besides which -- when I'm on my bike, lights like that are even MORE irritating for me.

gasman
07-15-2018, 12:45 PM

I don’t want to irritate them, I just want to be seen even during the day. I purposely point my Dinotte slightly down so it doesn’t blind drivers or riders.

The guy who flipped me off had over a mile of 2 lane road with zero traffic, a bright sunny day and I was next to the fog line. He was just a jerk.

I feel safer since I started to use a blinkey during the day as cars seem to pass with a wider berth. But that’s just me. If you don’t like them there’s no rule that says you should.

Spinner
07-15-2018, 12:45 PM
I was flipped off yesterday for honking my car horn at another motorist adjacent to me who crossed the line into my lane. Go figure.

I just finished a 27-mile ride in full sunshine with my red Dinotte Quad set on medium flash and no birds and/or rants were observed.

pjm
07-15-2018, 01:43 PM
I seriously doubt they were flipped off because of the lights. More likely, it was because they were there.

saab2000
07-15-2018, 05:31 PM

The reason I got flipped off was because the guys in the lifted pickup truck thought we didn't belong on the road. It had nothing to do with our lights.

On the contrary, I've had numerous drivers literally complement me on the light because they could actually see me. I've seen Dinotte (and similar) lights while driving and I'm never 'blinded' or distracted by them. Yeah, at night they need to be put to a lower setting, but Dinotte lights are designed to be seen in bright daylight and I will not apologize for using them.

We got flipped off by someone who was going to flip us off anyway. I'd rather he sees us and gets on his mean, nasty, cantankerous way in peace.