PDA

View Full Version : Dodged a bullet yesterday . . .

BumbleBeeDave
10-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Well, I guess I can now add getting hit by a car to my illustrious cycling resume. But I was d@mn lucky—all I got was a scape on my @ss and a ruined pair of tights. It could have been much worse . . .

There were four of us out yesterday morning—myself and friends Evan, Sean, and Kelly. We were out early so that Kelly could get back home by 9:30 to make another commitment. cold, crisp, but bright sun and really beautiful foliage as the trees lose their last few leaves. A few minutes after 8am we had just turned east onto River Road from local rt. 146, just after crossing the Mohawk River t Rexford, and were riding into the rising sun, intending to do the popular local “River Loop” ride of just over 30 miles. This is the same road where local cyclist David Ryan was killed two years ago by a drag racing punk, but our incident happened quite far west of where he was mowed down.

I was in front, leading us up a slight rise bewteen 12-14 mph a couple of minutes after 8am, with Evan behind me, then Kelly and Sean bringing up the rear. We were in single file right on the white line on the far right of the pavement. I heard a noise, and just as I realised I’d heard something felt a slight impact on my left leg. At the same moment a car went by me and pieces of rear view mirror went flying in front of my bike. I braked and went right to avoid the debris, then looked up to see the car stopping in the road maybe a hundred feet ahead of us—a silver 2005 honda civic 4-door. The right side mirror was gone—in pieces on the road beside me.

I looked behind me to see Evan stopped, and Kelly back with Sean, who had apparently been hit and was down, his yellow and red Legend on the road beside him. I looked down at my own leg to see a big rip in my tights (only a year old—D@MN!) and no obvious wound, and figured I was OK.

Then I pedalled quickly up to the car, making a note of the license number, got in front so it couldn’t leave, and started yelling at the woman driver that she had hit a cyclist and he was down, pointing back toward where the others were. I was angry at her for about 5 seconds until I realized she was totally freaked. She was a young woman, maybe mid twenties, and still had that MacCaulay Culkin “Home Alone” movie ad “OH!” expression on here face. She was just realizing what exactly she had hit. She climbed out of the car, repeating, “Oh, My god, I’m sorry! I didn’t see you! The sun was in my eyes!” as she started crying.

She was obviously not going anywhere, so I rode back to the other three, where Kelly was helping Sean up and Evan was on his cell on 911 with the local dispatcher. Evan, who is an EMT and does ski patrol, then checked out Sean, who had gotten up and said he was oK, but he was obviously hurting. His clothing wasn’t ripped and his bike looked OK. It seemed like she had clipped him with her rear-view mirror, knocking him down, and my leg had finished the job he had started of knocking the mirror off.

Evan determined that there was no cracked or broken rib and no dislocated shoulder or broken collarbone. It seemed Sean had been taken down so fast he didn’t have time to reflexively throw his hand out and so damage his collarbone. By this time the woman had walked back to us and was standing there crying and apologizing over and over. A passing pedestrian had stopped and picked up the debris out of the road and was standing there with us. We kept having to wave at drivers who also were blinded by the sun who kept driving up to us way too close.

The volunteer firefighters arrived, an ambulance, and then a state trooper. They checked out Sean, put some ice on his shoulder, and one of the firemen gave him and his bike a ride home. They also insisted on putting a gauze pad on the scrape on my butt—it came off somewhere on the bike trail (the gauze pad, not my butt. :rolleyes: ) I’m trying to get in touch with Sean today to see how he is. Kelly rode on with us for a while, but then turned back to get home by 9:30. Evan and I finished the ride, but to add insult to injury, we were going up the hill on the bike trail by the landfill, Evan stood up to go up the hill—and his rear wheel siezed and he toppled over before he could unclip! When he got off the bike and lifted it up to see what was wrong, his rear wheel fell off! Apparently his quick release had gotten knocked loose while we all had our bikes leaned up agains a traffic sign at the accident scene, and he’d been riding the past 20 miles with it loose! Yee-OW!

As the day went on I realized how very lucky we all were. If that woman had been driving only 6 more inches to the right, Sean might have been seriously injured—or worse—and I might have been riding away in that ambulance myself and the Queen Bee left twisted metal. I know the young woman should have been more careful, but I just can’t find it in my heart to be p*ssed at her. She was obviously totally freaked out by the whole thing and was driving as best she could into the morning glare.

So here I am—been riding for over twenty years, and this is the first season I’ve ever had things thrown at me, been actively harassed by a motorist, or been hit while riding. Guess the law of averages had caught up with me. I just hope it doesn’t catch up any further!

BBD

Karin Kirk
10-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Scary story BBD! Glad everyone is OK. Sorry to hear about your tights though.

I got hit by a car when I was a little kid under those same conditions. It was sunset and the sun was completely obscuring everything else. I saw the car over my shoulder and then... kapow! I was fine, but now I am always paranoid in those conditions.

Good to hear that the driver was appropriately feeling bad. She should. And no doubt she will give cyclists a nice wide berth for the rest of her life.

BTW, I remember those roads from when we lived in Saratoga - we both miss the lovely road riding out there. Enjoy!

Louis
10-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Dave,

Glad to hear that you're OK. I live west of where I work and in the PM, when I'm driving home, I often worry about that. Luckily 99.9% of the cyclists are heading east at that time of day so it's not too bad. The glare can be really tough...

Louis

Tom
10-22-2006, 12:06 PM
First off, the shoulder through there's at least 2-3' wide, so she was way too far to the right. Second, if the sun's in her eyes and she can't see four large objects on the side of the road then she hasn't cleaned her windshield lately, she needs to slow down, or she needs to get the hell off the telephone.

I think I rode around the glass pile this morning. The road's wide right there.

The only thing I will say is I do ride the river loop often in the morning before work and I go the other way around just to have the sun at my back. Still, you ought to be able to ride in whatever direction you want. You're not invisible. She was going too fast for the conditions. If someone hits something on the road with their car, they are not exercising due care and they are going too fast for the conditions.

I'm glad you guys are OK. You do deserve to be at least a little angry, though.

dbrk
10-22-2006, 12:08 PM
snip...
There were four of us out yesterday morning—myself and friends Evan, Sean, and Kelly. snip... at me, been actively harassed by a motorist, or been hit while riding. Guess the law of averages had caught up with me. I just hope it doesn’t catch up any further!
BBD

Dave,
I make light of this only because everyone came out OK, notwithstanding hurts, scrapes, genuine scares, and other things to take quite seriously...But I'd call this the luck of the Irish! I mean "Evan, Sean, and Kelly..."? What were you riding to the County Clare? In anycase, it is very good news that no one was seriously injured. Given the woman's response it is a fact as well that accidents happen and we all take our chances, the alternative being the body-armor-never-go-anywhere approach or the I-feel-safer-already approach of taking your shoes off in airports or making sure you are carrying only three ounces of shampoo, etc. I dunno, life's risky and so it goes, no?

I hope you went out for lunch afterwards since a great man once said, "Faith, hope, and lunch. But the greatest of these is lunch."

And as angering as are the dumb, dangerous, and even inimical things that people can do to us, I find getting angry just never, ever helps. So you did yourself a favor: anger always wounds the angry more than it helps the angered. Prating moralism but likely true enough.

dbrk
who hopes that people tell jokes at his own funeral...

Climb01742
10-22-2006, 12:11 PM
very glad everyone is, essentially, ok. the sun this time of year is scary. i ride mostly in the morning and it's spooky every time a car comes by. be careful out there, ladies and gents.

Dekonick
10-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Ummm....

Welcome to the club?!?

Glad everyone is ok. This makes me wonder if I should use that flashing little LED blinkie thingie when riding even during the day. Hmmmm...

Now- about the shorts... :butt: - How exactly did they get ruined?!? ;)

93legendti
10-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Ummm....

Welcome to the club?!?

Glad everyone is ok. This makes me wonder if I should use that flashing little LED blinkie thingie when riding even during the day. Hmmmm...

Now- about the shorts... :butt: - How exactly did they get ruined?!? ;)

I do...at least on the bikes without barends. Dave, glad you are ok!

CNY rider
10-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Dave, glad to hear that you, your pals and the Quuen Bee are all safe.

I have to give the driver a little sympathy, even though I'm not generally inclined to in these episodes.

I drove off the road into a snowbank last winter, because I was utterly and completely blinded by the sun. I was coming down our hill, facing east, at about 0730, just after the sun had come up. There had been a fresh snowfall the night before, and I was headed for some early powder runs at Plattekill. It was cold, and even though I had cleared the frost off the windshield, I think my breath was making a light film on the inside. I came around a curve, with open farm fields covered in snow on both sides of me, and the sun was directly into my eyes. At that point I was completely blind. I knew I didn't want to cross to the left side of the road and potentially hit oncoming traffic, so I braked and pulled to the right a little, where I ended up gently plowing into the snowbank, with me and the car no worse for the wear after about 45 minutes of digging it out. Unfortunately, at the moment the sun hit my eyes, there truly was nothing I could do but brake and hope not to hit anything. I think the young lady may have faced similar conditions.

gasman
10-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Glad to hear you and the Queen bee are OK.

Scary stuff-I doubt I would have held my anger in the face of someone so clearly upset either. You have a soft spot in your heart.

Len J
10-22-2006, 01:48 PM
not a bad one to have,,,,if you're going to have one!

Glad you all are OK.

I always worry riding into the sun.

Len

Ginger
10-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Didja get digits? At least you could get a sympathy date out of the deal.
:p

Seriously, glad to hear that at first glance everyone is ok. Anytime a rider gets taken down pay close attention to the neurological stuff.

Like Karin, I get all squeamish in those conditions...too many cars without clean windshields out there.

Kevan
10-22-2006, 01:57 PM
and the sun now hanging low in the sky, its even hard for us cyclists to discern those hidden pot holes lurking in the shadows. Yesterday was a bad day for us too BBD, no one got hurt, but there were plenty of tempers elevated.

Glad you and your pals are relatively okay. I feel sorry for the young lady, that's got to be a traumatic experience for her as well.

I hope all cyclists look at themselves from a driver's perspective from time to time during their ride. If you're heading into the sun, imagine how difficult it will be for a driver to spot you. Contrary to what you might think, it might actually be better to be out in the road a bit casting a shadow or silhouette, presenting to the nearly-blind driver that something's in the road up ahead even though they can’t necessarily recognize what it is. Certainly if you’re on a high speed road you might think differently. Maybe then you keep an ear trained to the back as best you can and weave out into the road a little when it’s safe to present yourselves and then duck in when a vehicle is approaching. If you hug the lip of the road you simply blend in with the bushes, mailboxes, stone walls and such, and give yourselves no way out. Different situations call for different maneuvers, I appreciate that. I'm just saying the edge of the pavement isn't always the best idea. Please understand too, I’m not suggesting for a moment that you did anything wrong BBD, just that all of us need to remain sharp and to keep in mind our adversary’s perspective.

BumbleBeeDave
10-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Glad to hear you and the Queen bee are OK.

Scary stuff-I doubt I would have held my anger in the face of someone so clearly upset either. You have a soft spot in your heart.

She was upset-distraught, not upset angry. Very remorseful . . .

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
10-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Didja get digits? At least you could get a sympathy date out of the deal.
:p

Seriously, glad to hear that at first glance everyone is ok. Anytime a rider gets taken down pay close attention to the neurological stuff.

Like Karin, I get all squeamish in those conditions...too many cars without clean windshields out there.

You're pure EVIL! :rolleyes:

But I have to admit that I did joke about it to Kelly and Evan before we left the scene, and was labelled a "vulture."

CAW! CAW! . . . ;)

BBD

Ginger
10-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Dave. Your problem is obvious. Crows Caw.

And I want to know why *you* thought about it at the scene and I'm the evil one?

mike p
10-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I can't believe you know sean kelly!!

Mike

catulle
10-22-2006, 03:46 PM
If a cat's got 9 lives, how many lives does a bee have...??? I hope your friend is well.

gasman
10-22-2006, 04:04 PM
She was upset-distraught, not upset angry. Very remorseful . . .

BBD

That's what I gathered from your post.

vaxn8r
10-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Wow. That can happen to any of us every single day. Amazing thing is that it doesn't ATMO. Glad you're OK Dave.

djg
10-22-2006, 06:00 PM
A vulture? Sideswipped by a fast moving vehicle and your first thought, as you careen off the road, is that the homicidal maniac behind the wheel looked kinda cute? Dude. Not a vulture. Alive and well, and something mebbe, but not a vulture.

Really, I'm glad that you and your pals are basically ok. A few inches the wrong way and things could have been horribly worse. I wish the event on nobody, but given the story it seems well to me that the driver is distraught. She couldn't see and she went barreling along anyway--maybe everybody's lucky she got a solid visceral wake up call about what that sort of driving can do.

Glad you're ok.

Serotta PETE
10-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Glad everyone is ok........ Life can change in an instant....

Spokes and I want you to come to Raleigh for a healing weekend. We are also asking GINGER and Tom to come for moral support. I will furnish the beverage.

:beer:

Xyzzy
10-22-2006, 07:15 PM
:)

Sandy
10-22-2006, 07:23 PM
As has been said, your entire group was most fortunate that the incident did not end up much worse. Glad that all seem to be ok.

Sandy

znfdl
10-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Dave, glad you and your friends will be okay.

Erik.Lazdins
10-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Dave,
I am very pleased to read that you and your group will be allright.

Thanks for taking the time to post - I'll take this as a reminder to live well.

BumbleBeeDave
10-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Sean e-mails me that he is sore and has some pain meds and back pain and will go see a chiro. He's also still evaluating his bike damage. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, just to set the record straight, I didn't think of hitting on her until AFTER the whole thing was over! :rolleyes: ;) :crap:

And Shino . . . I was riding with Sean AND Kelly, NOT Sean Kelly! but I do note from today's paper that a local man NAMED Sean Kelly, 39 years old, was taken into custody by local police here yesterday after a car chase. I assume the cops were in cars, but the short story in our paper didn't say, however, if the perp was in a car or on a 979 Vitus . . . :D

BBD

William
10-23-2006, 05:31 AM
BBDave,

I'm glad you and your friends are alright. It's a scary experience that illustrates how close to the edge we are every time we go out on the road.

Happy and safe miles to you and your friends on future rides.

William

slowgoing
10-23-2006, 08:26 AM
I'm glad you're no worse off than you were before the accident. :)

weisan
10-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Glad you are ok, Dave-pal.

weisan

ti_boi
10-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Whew....man. I used to wear body armor when I road a motorcycle (and still do when I snowboard)...and yet all we have between us and the pavement is spandex !!! We should put our head together and design a super lightweight kevlar body suit with protection in key areas.....someone call ASSOS!

I am happy that this horrible situation was not worse. Be Well. Be Safe. Be Happy.

alancw3
10-23-2006, 09:10 AM
glad you guys are all right! on my sunday ride i had a similiar incident. had an emergency stop (locked wheels) to avoid a car that cut in front of me. when i got home i saw that i had burned up the rubber on a gp4000 in that skid stop of six feet right to the cord. oh well it's only a $60 tire! life on the road is getting more and more dangerous! i am starting to wonder if bike path isin my future!

Tom
10-23-2006, 11:57 AM
i am starting to wonder if bike path isin my future!

Bad idea. I've almost dumped it three times in the last couple of days on the bike path heading out of town. The leaves are all falling and it's been rainy and windy so there are sticks and other debris hidden in the piles of wet leaves. It gets interesting when your wheels are kicked six inches one way or another when you're really thinking about something else.

BumbleBeeDave
10-23-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm glad you're no worse off than you were before the accident. :)

My wimpy-girlie spaghetti legs thank you! ;)

BBD

Archibald
10-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Don't worry Dave, I got your back!

I was going to steal the driver's peach but, alas, they somehow evaded my iron fist and I came up empty handed!

BumbleBeeDave
10-23-2006, 12:57 PM
. . . but the driver was a woman. I don't think she's got no peach to steal!

BBD

Archibald
10-23-2006, 01:00 PM
. . . but the driver was a woman. I don't think she's got no peach to steal!

BBD
Well, that would explain why my iron fist came up empty handed, wouldn't it?

:banana:

quaintjh
10-23-2006, 02:29 PM
To think I was thinking about going out with you guys, but was called away by my lovely wife!

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Jay

Ozz
10-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Bad idea. ...The leaves are all falling and it's been rainy and windy so there are sticks and other debris hidden in the piles of wet leaves. ....
Don't forget the chuckle-heads that decide to stop mid path without checking to see if anyone is coming up behind them....

Happened to me yesterday while I was having a conversation with a nice lady about our identical Legends! After we safely avoided the collision, she commented that the offender had a Meivici...I guess anyone can buy a bike. ;)

Dave - I'm glad you're safe and hope your friend is on the road soon!