PDA

View Full Version : LA's dorky high socks.

A.L.Breguet
10-22-2006, 11:07 AM
What's up with Lance's ridiculously high socks. Was he hiding something? Tats, apparatus, testosterone patches? I am truly curious.
Any insights?
I'm bored.

saab2000
10-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Anyone who rides as fast as LA can wear his socks any way he wants. If he were slow he'd be a fred. But because he is fast he gets away with it.

Nike paid him a LOT of money to wear their socks. That might have been a factor too.

Karin Kirk
10-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but now the tall sock thing has become euro-fashion. Tall socks used to be the dorkiest thing since huge saddlebags, but now they're somehow cool.

I don't get it. Glad I'm not the only one who is concerned about this.

saab2000
10-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Really short socks are just as bad. They are the kind that just barely come out of the shoe.

Remember: If you're not looking good, you're looking bad.

Still, I stand by what I said, anyone who rides fast can ride whatever they want.

Louis
10-22-2006, 11:34 AM
In the world of fashion we are the small fry, the followers. People like LA and Catulle's mistress Scarlett J are the leaders. They can do whatever they like and by definition it is cool. If we do it first we look stupid.

Sorry, that's just the way life is. Fashion is both arbitrary and high structured. BTW, this is not a new thing. It goes way back to the times when people with money but no noble titles were looking for ways to also be cool.

Louis

Karin Kirk
10-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Really short socks are just as bad. They are the kind that just barely come out of the shoe.

What about the ones with little pom poms on the backs? Are those OK or are those a fashion "don't?"

Maybe the next champion cyclist will bring those back in style. Can't you just picture Bettini with little golden pom poms!

saab2000
10-22-2006, 11:55 AM
What about the ones with little pom poms on the backs? Are those OK or are those a fashion "don't?"

Maybe the next champion cyclist will bring those back in style. Can't you just picture Bettini with little golden pom poms!

Like I said, you win the Tour seven times or in Bettini's case are world champ and Olympic champ you can do what you want!!!

I have never won either and therefore stick to a slightly more conservative dress code for myself.

mike p
10-22-2006, 12:00 PM
I think long socks look dorky but what do I know I don't wear any.

Mike

trophyoftexas
10-22-2006, 12:57 PM
NEVER "footie" style and NEVER "old school mid-calf gym socks but anything else in between these two is fair game....depends on the mood, sometimes I feel goofy or silly and wear my slightly taller and colorful bike-style socks....sometimes I feel bad-*** and wear my slightly lower and less colorful bike-style sock.....really makes little or no difference in my performance but they ALWAYS make my non-riding friends doubt my "coolness".....but then, just ask me, I really don't give a $h^! what they think anyway! As Popeye said...."I am what's I am and that's all that I am!"

Peter P.
10-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Tall socks=more advertising space.

Kevan
10-22-2006, 06:41 PM
that's all I'm saying.

slowgoing
10-22-2006, 07:02 PM
In the world of fashion we are the small fry, the followers. People like LA and Catulle's mistress Scarlett J are the leaders.

LA as a fashion leader? Now that's funny.

Louis
10-22-2006, 07:20 PM
LA as a fashion leader? Now that's funny.

Doesn't have to be just clothing. How many people started spinning at much higher rpms after he'd won a few TDFs? How many Treks has he sold? The list goes on and on.

wasfast
10-23-2006, 09:09 AM
I always wondered if he did it (high, black socks) just to piss off (in a subtle way) the traditional European bunch. It's literally the opposite of the old school rules (black shoes, short white socks, black shorts). The rule book used to literally state this in Europe and the US as well until the early 1980's. If you win 7 TdF's, you can bloody wear anything you want IMO.

Me, I'm still on short white socks:-)

ClutchCargo
10-23-2006, 09:47 AM

I can. :rolleyes:

Kevan
10-23-2006, 10:13 AM
I can. :rolleyes:

will be on the lookout for those pom-poms.

chrisroph
10-23-2006, 10:19 AM
next thing you know some dude will win a race with a mirror