PDA

View Full Version : Commuter Backpacks

Ozz
06-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Hey, looking for advice on a commuter backpack. I have use a messenger bag (Timbuk2) in the past, but no longer have it, and it was just ok on comfort. Looking for something that stays put better and is weather proof.

I won't be transporting any electronics other than a couple phones. Just files, folders, some clothes, shoes and food.

Commute is ~10 miles each way.

Thanks.

lucieli
06-07-2018, 02:40 PM
My commute is about 11 miles each way and for years I used a Camelbak Blowfish, which I loved. It fit well, had a sternum & waist strap and could expand if needed. Last year one of the zippers broke and I replaced it with an Osprey Raptor 14. Although I like the new pack, it does expand and therefore cannot carry nearly as much stuff when needed.

Mike

Jaybee
06-07-2018, 02:43 PM
I'm an Osprey loyalist. This pack (https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/flapjack-pack-FLPJKPACK.html) has been good to me.

azrider
06-07-2018, 02:54 PM

rst72
06-07-2018, 02:55 PM
got this recently...highly recommend it.

This is the 18L but they also have a 11L daypack version:

https://ilequipment.com/collections/backpacks/products/apex-xl-day-pack

Nooch
06-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Take a look at the timbuk2 especial series -- waterproof, reflective bits, nice.

Otherwise, the Osprey Radial 26 jumped out at me the last time I was in REI. I've used an Osprey light backpacking pack before (The stratos, I believe) and an Osprey escapist -- the radial seems to take the size of the escapist and adds the anti-gravity back netting of the stratos -- so the best parts of both packs..

(i also tend to purchase too much pack... I have the especial tres (40L) which is GINORMOUS and I think my Escapist is a 32L pack. I'm also not really good at packing small, and I carry a lot of tupperware for lunch, so...)

Lewis Moon
06-07-2018, 03:05 PM
I commute 26 - 40 miles 3 - 5 days a week. These are pretty much "training" rides for me so my needs may be (are?) different. Since I commute fully kitted out, I have to carry my clothes etc. I leave a pair of shoes in my office.
I use what is essentially a larger hydration pack with the bladder removed.

Remember, if you carry it on your back, it shouldn't puncture anything soft and squishy if you crash.

m_sasso
06-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Go try on an Osprey, fit, materials, finish and warranty far superior to most anything else in the marketplace. May not be as hip as the latest boutique sack however will definitely pay for itself over a lifetime of use.

Lewis Moon
06-07-2018, 03:15 PM
Go try on an Osprey, fit, materials, finish and warranty far superior to most anything else in the marketplace. May not be as hip as the latest boutique sack however will definitely pay for itself over a lifetime of use.

I'm wearing out my Novara after about 3 years and 15000 commuter miles. The Osprey is at the top of my list.

hellvetica
06-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Osprey all the way.

joosttx
06-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Hey, looking for advice on a commuter backpack. I have use a messenger bag (Timbuk2) in the past, but no longer have it, and it was just ok on comfort. Looking for something that stays put better and is weather proof.

I won't be transporting any electronics other than a couple phones. Just files, folders, some clothes, shoes and food.

Commute is ~10 miles each way.

Thanks.

I own the Timbuk2 Raider. For what you want it is perfect especially in yellow.

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/bike-backpacks/products/551-raider-backpack

Veloo
06-07-2018, 03:50 PM
I used my Deuter Race EXP Air for the first time this week and thought it worked well. Kept the back pretty dry.

tctyres
06-07-2018, 03:51 PM
I have two Ospreys: the flapjack and the radial 26. Both are good. I prefer the flapjack but seem to use the radial 26 more. Both have been replaced under warranty at least once with no questions. The radial 26 got zipper disease on one of the main pockets whereas the flapjack had zipper disease on its side pocket. I recommend either of those.

I also have a Roadrunner backpack, but it is not designed as well.

My commute is 16-20 miles one way, and I do that 3 or more times a week.

Ozz
06-07-2018, 03:57 PM
I commute 26 - 40 miles 3 - 5 days a week. These are pretty much "training" rides for me so my needs may be (are?) different. Since I commute fully kitted out, I have to carry my clothes etc. I leave a pair of shoes in my office.
I use what is essentially a larger hydration pack with the bladder removed.

Remember, if you carry it on your back, it shouldn't puncture anything soft and squishy if you crash.

Yeah, they will be training rides for me to....I will be kitted out as well.

shirts, suits, ties, dress shoes will be in office closet. Figure I will carry socks, clean undies and a pair of shoes/sandals for getting up to office. I'm in a new building, so I need to figure out where to hop into the freight elevator in the parking garage so I can take my bike up to my office.

I have a couple Osprey packs...great packs for backpacking...I didn't know if the cycling ones are any good.

Thanks for the input....

cheers!

Bradford
06-07-2018, 04:53 PM
...shirts, suits, ties, dress shoes will be in office closet. Figure I will carry socks, clean undies and a pair of shoes/sandals for getting up to office...

I hate backpacks and do everything I can to keep my back free. I don't even like to weigh down my jersey with things in my pocket. So, perhaps I'm not the best person to ask because of my bias...however, here are my suggestions:

--Buy a dedicated commuter bike: Great rim brake bikes are basically free on ebay right now, so buy something that you can set up for committing. (I have two, a Fierte set up for for fast rides and touring bike that takes panniers; Fierte for days without a laptop and the touring bikes when I need to carry a computer)

--Use mountain shoes...nothing good comes from walking on tiles at work in road cleats, especially when they are wet, then you don't need the shoes/sandals

--Keep a duffel bag under your desk with t shirts, socks, and undies...fill up once a week or once every two weeks. I usually take the train once a week and bring in/take home my clean/dirty clothes

--For a bike bag, get an Orlieb seatpost bag, it will fit undies and socks, plus room for wallet, phone, keys, etc...get the medium size version and fit even more. It is cleverly designed to attach to your seat post, no rack necessary

--Get a Mountainsmith lumbar pack. It fits all you need to bring in, fits morning clothes with the ride in is cold and the ride home is hot (common here in Denver), and doesn't make your back sweat. I find that if you tighten the straps, it holds the weight comfortably

Back packs are never the best answer. Most people I know who ride with them would love to get ride of them. On the negative side, my approach is more expensive. On the positive side, it is a better riding experience; the more enjoyable it is, the more you will ride in. And, as a bonus, buying new gear is exciting.

azrider
06-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Just playing devils advocate......but I LOVE commuting with my 20lb backpack during the week because it makes the weekend rides feel that much easier without it..........

YMMV

Jaybee
06-07-2018, 05:13 PM
I hate backpacks and do everything I can to keep my back free. I don't even like to weigh down my jersey with things in my pocket. So, perhaps I'm not the best person to ask because of my bias...however, here are my suggestions:

--Buy a dedicated commuter bike: Great rim brake bikes are basically free on ebay right now, so buy something that you can set up for committing. (I have two, a Fierte set up for for fast rides and touring bike that takes panniers; Fierte for days without a laptop and the touring bikes when I need to carry a computer)

--Use mountain shoes...nothing good comes from walking on tiles at work in road cleats, especially when they are wet, then you don't need the shoes/sandals

--Keep a duffel bag under your desk with t shirts, socks, and undies...fill up once a week or once every two weeks. I usually take the train once a week and bring in/take home my clean/dirty clothes

--For a bike bag, get an Orlieb seatpost bag, it will fit undies and socks, plus room for wallet, phone, keys, etc...get the medium size version and fit even more. It is cleverly designed to attach to your seat post, no rack necessary

--Get a Mountainsmith lumbar pack. It fits all you need to bring in, fits morning clothes with the ride in is cold and the ride home is hot (common here in Denver), and doesn't make your back sweat. I find that if you tighten the straps, it holds the weight comfortably

Back packs are never the best answer. Most people I know who ride with them would love to get ride of them. On the negative side, my approach is more expensive. On the positive side, it is a better riding experience; the more enjoyable it is, the more you will ride in. And, as a bonus, buying new gear is exciting.

These are all good points. I was shilling for Osprey above, but honestly, anything over an hour makes me really wish I didn't have a backpack. I feel this way even about my hydration pack on long mountain rides, and it's a good hydration pack. No way to completely mitigate the physics of having all that extra insulation on your back.

OP, if you won't have backpack shaped items to carry (laptop, files, etc.), then maybe think about bikepacking type stuff to pack your clothes/food.

Bradford
06-07-2018, 05:44 PM
...OP, if you won't have backpack shaped items to carry (laptop, files, etc.), then maybe think about bikepacking type stuff to pack your clothes/food.

Good point. I have a Revalate Pika I've commuted with before and it works very well. I bought it for Ride the Rockies and Copper Triangle, but it carries a lot for a commute. I prefer the Ortlieb bag or Lumbar pack for commuting because it takes a little work to get the Revalate on and off the bike, but if I could bring my bike to my office and didn't have to leave it in an open garage, I'd prefer the Pika to either.

mtechnica
06-07-2018, 10:13 PM
The big ortlieb messenger backpacks are on another level from everything else. They are a professional grade, HUGE, durable, and comfortable bag.

fogrider
06-07-2018, 11:43 PM
I hate backpacks and

I'm not a big fan of riding with a backpack...but I have an Osprey that I use to carry stuff on a regular basis and I commute maybe once a week on bike. I too have a 10 mile commute each way, and its not that big a deal.

I really like the top flap with a compartment, great for sun glasses, snacks, and just stuff you want quick access to.

I also hate the large saddle bag, it just throws the handling off, I don't even ride with a small saddle bag! I paid good money for a carbon rail saddle, the thing I'm going to do is slap 200 grams on it! (tools and stuff go into a bottle cage.)

I thing the best option would be a handlebar bag...there are lots of options now.

konaman
06-08-2018, 12:11 AM
I used to do a 14 mile commute one way. I only used panniers and nothing on my back. agtee also on the softer mountain shoes. I still like my spd.

giverdada
06-08-2018, 04:44 AM
I used Chrome backpacks for years, starting off with a smaller one and then moving up to a bigger one. This was back when they were all US-made, and effin bombproof. My brother still uses his Ivan Rolltop. I have retired my Ranchero in favor of the lighter option from former-Chrome folks - Mission Workshop.

I commute about 18mi. each way these days and don't fully enjoy having a backpack on for the ride, but I have stuff to carry so that's the way it goes. The Mission Workshop Rambler is beautiful and light and very secure on the body. The Chrome bags were extremely durable and tough, but a bit blocky against my human form even when all the things were cinched and buckled. Mission is high end. Often its pocket systems baffle me, but the Rambler is set up well and expandable so I can pick up groceries on the way home. I've carried tons in mine, got it used for my birthday 6 years ago (self-gifting), and have been using it pretty steadily since. I'm glad to hear you're commuting by bike! I've been slow to get back to it, but it's a wonderful thing.

jr59
06-08-2018, 07:48 AM
I used Chrome backpacks for years, starting off with a smaller one and then moving up to a bigger one. This was back when they were all US-made, and effin bombproof. My brother still uses his Ivan Rolltop. I have retired my Ranchero in favor of the lighter option from former-Chrome folks - Mission Workshop.

I commute about 18mi. each way these days and don't fully enjoy having a backpack on for the ride, but I have stuff to carry so that's the way it goes. The Mission Workshop Rambler is beautiful and light and very secure on the body. The Chrome bags were extremely durable and tough, but a bit blocky against my human form even when all the things were cinched and buckled. Mission is high end. Often its pocket systems baffle me, but the Rambler is set up well and expandable so I can pick up groceries on the way home. I've carried tons in mine, got it used for my birthday 6 years ago (self-gifting), and have been using it pretty steadily since. I'm glad to hear you're commuting by bike! I've been slow to get back to it, but it's a wonderful thing.

This is what I would recommend. It a great bag and tough and well made. Holds as little or as much as you want.

old fat man
06-08-2018, 08:25 AM
Very happy Osprey Flap Jack owner. I commuted 20 miles each way for 2 years with mine, almost daily with a laptop and change of clothes.

Easy to see over my shoulder while in the drops on my race bike
Still looks brand new - I use it as my work/travel bag now that I work from home
Water resistant
Comfy enough - better than being forced to ride a commuter bike or with a rear rack

Highly recommend the Flap Jack - and stashing as much clean clothing and lunch food at your office as possible so you can limit the amount of stuff you need to carry each day.

Likes2ridefar
06-08-2018, 08:43 AM
Take a look at the timbuk2 especial series -- waterproof, reflective bits, nice.

Otherwise, the Osprey Radial 26 jumped out at me the last time I was in REI. I've used an Osprey light backpacking pack before (The stratos, I believe) and an Osprey escapist -- the radial seems to take the size of the escapist and adds the anti-gravity back netting of the stratos -- so the best parts of both packs..

(i also tend to purchase too much pack... I have the especial tres (40L) which is GINORMOUS and I think my Escapist is a 32L pack. I'm also not really good at packing small, and I carry a lot of tupperware for lunch, so...)

I have the radial 26. It is the best osprey I’ve used so far, and IMO nothing touches their bags that I’ve seen for my needs.

Requirements: laptop sleeve, stands up when you set it down on the ground, contact points don’t absorb sweat, suspension mesh system or similar on back and straps to significantly reduce sweat and heat buildup.

It has a rain cover built in that is removable and a myriad of other features. It has a clip area in an open pocket that seems like it was specifically designed to have an Id badge and garage opener or keys easily grabbed to get in at the office and home.

commonguy001
06-08-2018, 09:40 AM
I have a Osprey Radial and it’s been great when I’m on a bike without panniers. I really use it most in the winter but wouldn’t limit it to cold weather.

Lionel
06-08-2018, 09:47 AM
Thread drift but what cheap bibs are you all using for commuting ? Seems like wearing $200 bibs in the morning and another one in the evening and washing them would greatly accelerate their death.

DRZRM
06-08-2018, 10:01 AM
I like the Mission Workshops too, I have a Arkiv that I love, because the attachable waterproof briefcase for computer, plugs, papers, etc. is fully separated from the central pack, it slides off and attaches to an adjustable shoulder strap. It was a gift, so I ignore the fact that it was way on the expensive side. I also have a Vandel that I got used here for a great deal, and I like it as well, very expandable (I got a case of beer in there once) and very comfortable.

I also quite like REload bags (https://www.reloadbags.com/). I had Roland make me a great, large messenger bag, but a pinched nerve in my neck means I can't use messenger bags over my shoulder without getting numbness down my arm. It's a very overbuilt gym bag now. If I had it to do over, I'd have him make me a backback.

FlashUNC
06-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Inside Line Equipment. Easily the best backpack I've used.

suzuki
06-08-2018, 12:20 PM
I own the Timbuk2 Raider. For what you want it is perfect especially in yellow.

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/bike-backpacks/products/551-raider-backpack

+1. I started commuting (about 12 miles each way) with a Timbuk2 (Especial) Raider about two years ago, and it has served me well. Very functional backpack, which sits just right, even when carrying laptop with change of clothes. I bought it new for less than $50, and it looks like you still might be able to find one new for close to that price ($55 - if you are not really picky about color). Best thing I like about this backpack: very lightweight, so it is even better when commuting during hazy hot humid days of summer. I thought about upgrading to a more feature-packed bag (like an Osprey) or a waterproof bag (like an Ortlieb or Banjo Brothers). But my wife reminded me (kiss) of how little baby gear we carried around with our second child compared with our first child. In a pinch, my gear goes in ziploc bags before being tucked inside this backpack, and that gives me additional protection from those brief downpours. If you do not need to carry a lot of gear, the size of this backpack is just right.

old fat man
06-08-2018, 03:59 PM
Thread drift but what cheap bibs are you all using for commuting ? Seems like wearing $200 bibs in the morning and another one in the evening and washing them would greatly accelerate their death.

Same bibs to and fro usually. Hung to dry during the work day. Chamois creme kept at the office for the trip home.

If you want to try some cheap options, the Giordana and Demarchi from Comp Cyclist are usually on sale

Bostic
06-08-2018, 04:51 PM
My commute is 30 miles each way. The days I do ride in and not drive I wear a Timbuk 2 Raider Pack, $89. I tried using an Osprey Radial 26. Great pack, tons of pockets and features but it also weighs a ton. After 6 commutes with that, no chance. Not for a 60 mile day at least.

The Raider Pack fits my change of clothes and what I would need throughout the day. I made the necessary changes to keep a laptop at home and one at work. Commuting that far with a laptop, you notice the extra 4lbs on the back pretty darn fast.

At this point in time acquiring a bike with panniers or using those humungous seat bags on my standard road bike is not something I want to pursue.

Ozz
06-08-2018, 05:25 PM

Life is too short for cheap wine or cheap bibs...;)

Likes2ridefar
06-08-2018, 06:31 PM

I’ve been using the black bibs. $40.

mt2u77
06-08-2018, 08:03 PM
I have a Deuter Futura 22, an older Osprey Radial, and a Chrome messenger bag. By far, my favorite is the Deuter. It has a trampoline back that allows air to circulate and minimizes back sweat soaking into the bag. The other two are fine, but get funky real fast.

The Deuter also has a handy rain/mud cover, chest and waist strap, and hydration bladder if you so choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlanger
06-09-2018, 01:54 AM

www.aliexpress.com

Just search for cycling kit and you'll get a ton of choice for $20 or $30. Can't beat the price, and they're quite durable too. Been riding mine year-round for nearly 2 years now and they're still like new.

belopsky
06-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Inside Line Equipment. Easily the best backpack I've used.

No experience with the ILE backpacks but I love the porteur bag I got that he made for MASH ;D

RyanH
06-09-2018, 10:33 PM
I've done up to 80 mile commutes (40 each way) for several weeks at a time. Another vote for the Timbuk2 Raider. It's designed specifically for commuting. I also use it for short travels.

On a related note, Banana Republic wrinkle free is fantastic for commuting. If you don't have access to a shower, Dude Wipes work very well and come in convenient single packs. If you're carrying shoes, find a pair of light loafers, every ounce makes a difference. I saved almost a pound in swapping out shoes for lighter ones alone.

As far as kit, I wear the same kit, just air dry it somewhere immediately.

cdimattio
06-11-2018, 12:40 PM
I have been commuting year round 36 miles a day for 10-15 years. This typically involves evening rides in twilight or darkness for half the year.

When I began the cycling commute thing I was very concerned about the convenience, features, durability or construction of my backpack or messenger bag.

Now I am guided by safety and visibility. Being seen by vehicles a bigger deal to me than any other consideration. If you are commuting home in twilight or less than ideal lighting conditions I think you need to consider DiNotte lighting and the PROVIZ REFLECT360 Cycling Backpack.

notsew
06-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Yeah, they will be training rides for me to....I will be kitted out as well.

shirts, suits, ties, dress shoes will be in office closet. Figure I will carry socks, clean undies and a pair of shoes/sandals for getting up to office. I'm in a new building, so I need to figure out where to hop into the freight elevator in the parking garage so I can take my bike up to my office.

I have a couple Osprey packs...great packs for backpacking...I didn't know if the cycling ones are any good.

Thanks for the input....

cheers!

I have an osprey momentum 22 which works well for my needs, but I'm bringing a full set of cloths and dress shoes. If you're just bringing socks, underwear and sandals, what about a frame bag? I have a relevate tangle I use on long gravel rides and it would definitely hold what your talking about taking. Might not be the coolest look tho.

bironi
06-11-2018, 01:32 PM
I have a Deuter Futura 22, an older Osprey Radial, and a Chrome messenger bag. By far, my favorite is the Deuter. It has a trampoline back that allows air to circulate and minimizes back sweat soaking into the bag. The other two are fine, but get funky real fast.

The Deuter also has a handy rain/mud cover, chest and waist strap, and hydration bladder if you so choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll second the Deuter.
Well designed for commuting.