PDA

View Full Version : New chains x bike shop= issues

TBLS
06-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Starting from the end, yes, mechanic stepped up and buddy is satisfied

Shop installed new chain but believe they did not install connecting link correctly as that is where chain separated (near pulleys) once he started riding.

Broken chain, Di cabling damaged, replaceable dropout sheared.

Mechanic didn't blink when he returned, took responsibility and has committed to make it right

Nice reminder to double check your work

Matthew
06-06-2018, 08:50 PM
Ouch

fogrider
06-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Odd, a quick link is pretty simple and tough to install incorrectly.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Tony
06-06-2018, 11:09 PM

Agree, very odd.

CiclistiCliff
06-07-2018, 01:14 AM
Shimano quick links/masterlinks require some serious effort to lock them in. He may have not seated it all the way.

Side note: Trek hangers are some the ****tiest to deal with. Not very flexible and super stiff, so when they break, they definitely break...

AngryScientist
06-07-2018, 06:16 AM
any insight as to what went wrong, or if the problem was indeed a quick link, or a shimano style connecting pin?

sailorboy
06-07-2018, 06:33 AM
Shimano quick links/masterlinks require some serious effort to lock them in. He may have not seated it all the way.

I too was surprised at how much force it took to install one of these recently. Thought for a couple seconds I wasn't doing it right.

ultraman6970
06-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Well, if the link was like half way with the pedaling pressure the link will sit in place. So is really weird what happened.

Questions, where exactly the chain failed? i mean, right there in the link or was one like to links down the connection link?

The other thing is the how is that that chain got stuck in the rd? my only guess is that the chain was not engaged in the jockey wheel and the chain jammed in the cage braking the whole thing including the chain.

oldpotatoe
06-07-2018, 08:46 AM

But a quicklink or a shimano pin? Can't tell from picture.

zmudshark
06-07-2018, 08:54 AM
But a quicklink or a shimano pin? Can't tell from picture.
Looks like a quicklink, right between the pulleys.

Gummee
06-07-2018, 08:55 AM
I too was surprised at how much force it took to install one of these recently. Thought for a couple seconds I wasn't doing it right.

Me too.

Had to stand on the crankarm to get the thing to pop into place

M

mktng
06-07-2018, 09:34 AM
does the madone share a rd hanger with domane?
if so.

i have one i can send you.

FlashUNC
06-07-2018, 10:24 AM
That'll buff out.

ultraman6970
06-07-2018, 10:49 AM
That thing looks like got off the pulleys, wonder if the pulley failed and not the chain.

Actually looks like the chain is still in one piece.

Looks like a quicklink, right between the pulleys.

Mark McM
06-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Actually looks like the chain is still in one piece.

It looks to like the chain is only partially in one piece. One side of the quicklink is obviously detached (visably sticking out in the photo), while the pin on the other half of the quicklink is still attached (can be seen protruding from the chain inner links, just below the detached side of the quick link).

A quicklink that is half connected can easily make the chain cocked sideways at the detachment, which could derail the chain from the pulleys and get wedged into the derailleur cage.

That photo is pretty clear evidence that either the quicklink failed, or wasn't installed correctly.

Clean39T
06-07-2018, 11:07 AM
Me too.

Had to stand on the crankarm to get the thing to pop into place

M

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/0a477a0500eb98f2b45907fa14317a0d.jpg

Makes life MUCH easier - for both connecting and disconnecting..

benb
06-07-2018, 11:25 AM
I’ve found the Shona I rivet links to be reliable but fairly easy to not line up perfectly if you’re not careful, then the link will not flex freely.

I would never describe a rivet link as quick though.

I broke the hanger on my Domane in 2016. Pretty sure it’s a common part for all Madone/Domane/Emonda frames. In stock at almost every Trek dealer all the time.

TBLS
06-07-2018, 11:31 AM
For those who have asked it was a failure at the quicklink, SRAM chain.

New SRAM red chain (he won at a race so not a purchase decision)

oldpotatoe
06-07-2018, 02:07 PM
For those who have asked it was a failure at the quicklink, SRAM chain.

New SRAM red chain (he won at a race so not a purchase decision)

Have the shop call sram, they will probably warranty it plus give some more.
“First place a new Red chain, second place, 2 Red chains”.....->>>:)