PDA

View Full Version : Overthinking rear derailleur choices for the mountains

teleguy57
06-05-2018, 05:11 PM
My annual CO trip is coming up. Last year I went to a 12-32 11s from the 12-29 I had ridden previously with a regular cage white label SR11 rear derailleur. Since I didn't want to risk a big-big catastrophe I swapped out to an Athena 11 long cage derailleur.

Since then I scored a minimally-used Potenza medium cage rear derailleur which will accomodate the 32. So the big question is do I swap the Potenza cage to the SR body, or just swap the whole SR derailleur out for the Potenza. Haven't taken anything apart yet so I don't even know if the Potenza cage is compatible with the older SR, and also am not sure if my older Chorus 11 levers will have any shifting issues with the Potenza rear.

BTW, if the cage swap is possible I'd just leave the SR with med cage on the bike for all my riding. Should probably list the Athena 11 long-cage in the classifieds at some point too...

Recommendations?

Such decimal dust we can choose over which to agonize... :confused:

Gummee
06-05-2018, 05:44 PM
If you have the skills and the parts fit, may as well Frankenstein that derailleur

...bring a spare, just in case tho

M

velotel
06-05-2018, 11:43 PM
I've been running a Chorus RD 11-speed with a Potenza cage for a year now, works as well as before the change, cassette an 11-32

oldpotatoe
06-06-2018, 07:26 AM
[QUOTE]Haven't taken anything apart yet so I don't even know if the Potenza cage is compatible with the older SR, and also am not sure if my older Chorus 11 levers will have any shifting issues with the Potenza rear.

It should be, compatible..Shifting would be fine too, Potenza but I'd swap the cage and let everybody see you have a 'SR' rear der on there. :)

AngryScientist
06-06-2018, 07:29 AM
personally, i would just leave the Potenza RD as is and run it.

teleguy57
06-06-2018, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=teleguy57;2375984]

It should be, compatible..Shifting would be fine too, Potenza but I'd swap the cage and let everybody see you have a 'SR' rear der on there. :)

Ha! You do know I'm talking about the used SR derailleur I got from you at the shop several years ago, yes? :beer: