PDA

View Full Version : Justice for those who don't die first

cloudguy
06-05-2018, 12:16 AM
This one hits close to home (about 2 miles from my house). I've always suspected that the fellow killed one year prior to the day was probably in the right, but couldn't speak up to defend himself. Wonder how the po-po ended up siding with the rider in this case?

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_31922799/investigators-reverse-decision-rule-driver-caused-may-8

soulspinner
06-05-2018, 05:33 AM
unusual but a good outcome...…...

OldCrank
06-05-2018, 01:37 PM
So glad she's alive! Hope the healing goes well.

Could the cops/court not wait for her to heal and give her version, I wonder? <<<EDIT after re-reading: This happened less than a month ago. Glad for the reversal! >>>

I can definitely see the driver not bothering to slow down.

CSTRider
06-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Pure speculation, but perhaps the rider had a gps unit that showed her actual position at the time of accident?

cloudguy
06-05-2018, 10:08 PM
Pure speculation, but perhaps the rider had a gps unit that showed her actual position at the time of accident?

Yeah, I was thinking that too. But it also could be that she had shifted left from the shoulder into the lane to force the cars behind her to respect her needing to make a turn, but the driver just ignored her or something. I don't know how many times I've tried to signal to traffic behind me that I need to move into the lane to turn left and they just ignore my outstretched arm and blow right by. Happened to me just this weekend on Hwy 36. Not sure why the driver wasn't charged with obstructing justice with regards to his apparently initial false statement?

Mark McM
06-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Possibly, but I doubt that consumer bike GPS has the absolute accuracy necessary to be certain about whether a cyclist is in the lane or on the shoulder. I'm sure such evidence wouldn't hold up in court if the opposing side called an expert on GPS technology.

Mark McM
06-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Not sure why the driver wasn't charged with obstructing justice with regards to his apparently initial false statement?

The charge of Obstruction of Justice generally does not apply to statements made by suspects (although it may apply if the subject alters or destroys physical evidence).

unterhausen
06-06-2018, 05:08 PM
I was a little disappointed when I realized that I recognized the name of that intersection because of the fatal crash.