PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on prescription sunglasses

cyan
06-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Looking to get some sunglasses with prescription lenses for cycling. Are almost all cycling sunglasses compatible with prescription lenses, or do I need dedicated ones?

Any recommendation for brand/model and retailer is welcome. Thanks.

moonhoo
06-04-2018, 01:23 PM
I used SportRx for my last pair two years ago and was satisfied with the experience. They fabricated a pair of transition lenses onto Oakleys for me and my not-so-young eyes.

Mark McM
06-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Looking to get some sunglasses with prescription lenses for cycling. Are almost all cycling sunglasses compatible with prescription lenses, or do I need dedicated ones?

As usual, the answer is: It depends.

Different frame and lens styles are more conducive for prescription lenses, and the actual prescription required can limit choices in frame and lens styles. In particular, wrap around styles can be difficult to fit prescription lenses, particularly high diopter prescriptions. If you have a low prescription, you may have many options. A good optician may even be able to make you lenses that fit otherwise non-prescription eyewear. If you have a high prescription, you're options may be more limited.

I have sadly found that my local opticians are not very good at prescription sports eyewear. There are some extra considerations to consider when making lenses for sports eyewear, such as vertex angle and wrap compensation, that many traditional opticians are not used to dealing with. So, I end up going with mail order companies that specialize in sports eyewear. Here are a few:

SportsRx.com
SportEyes.com
SportsOptical.com

choke
06-04-2018, 02:23 PM
I'm very happy with a pair of Bolle Bolt S that I purchased from Frames Direct.

el cheapo
06-04-2018, 02:42 PM
After almost 30 years of soft contacts and the problems associated with them (blowing out, dryness,ect.) I finally made the switch to prescription sunglasses about six months ago. Went with Wiley X Echo. I'm thrilled with them. Before pulling the trigger on a pair shop around for price. First optician I went to wanted $125 more than I actually paid at a competitor.

thegunner
06-04-2018, 02:51 PM
I used SportRx for my last pair two years ago and was satisfied with the experience. They fabricated a pair of transition lenses onto Oakleys for me and my not-so-young eyes.

+1 on sportrx, two pairs for me now, no complaints

ptourkin
06-04-2018, 03:08 PM
If you use the search function, you'll see that a lot of us have been happy with Oakleys via SportRX.

Mark McM
06-04-2018, 03:27 PM
If you use the search function, you'll see that a lot of us have been happy with Oakleys via SportRX.

I'm sure a lot of people are happy with their Oakleys, but unfortunately, prescription Oakleys are not for everyone. Many of their models can only use prescriptions up to -3 diopters, and the maximum prescription in any of their models is -6. Those who need correction outside of these limits have to look elsewhere.

With corrective lenses, my vision is 20/20 with each eye (I easily pass FAA vision tests). But sadly, my prescription has a total correction (spherical + cylinder) of about -7.5 diopters, and most sports eyewear won't accommodate this much correction.

When submitting reviews of prescription eyewear, it would also be helpful to know the type and degree of vision corrected needed (Myopia? Astigmatism? Prism? Presbyopia?), so readers can better assess which reviews are pertinent to consider.

aellaguno
06-04-2018, 04:33 PM
+1 on sportRX...

Just be careful, the first time I ordered oakley from them I ordered radar lock model. Paid a lot of money for them, and when I got them, I realized that they had "glued" the RX lens on top of the radarlock lens. Which looks extremely dorky.... my bad for not paying more attention while ordering.

Since then, I have ordered two other frames. The flak jacket, which work great and have that Oakley futuristic look. And most recently the Roka aviators WHICH ARE THE BEST! You look good/stylish and those things dont move at all while cycling and sweating.

Ill be buying the Roka wayfares soon.

ultraman6970
06-04-2018, 06:15 PM
SportRx here also, expensive but the guys do work extremely well.

The best glasses I ever got here in the states.

LGrider
06-04-2018, 07:10 PM
I have a couple pair of Rudy Project Noyz that I'm happy with. Check e-rudy.com, they have promotions frequently for 50% off or more if you sign up for emails. I think mine were ~$300. PM me if you need discount details.

zrossiter
06-04-2018, 08:33 PM
not cycling specific, but warby parker has tons of different styles ~$150 with prescription.

Veloo
06-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pro for me.
I also have the Rudy Rydon with clip on lens but I'll never go back to the clip on lenses behind the shades.

As mentioned in this post, the Rudy's could only handle certain Rx.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=192435&page=2&highlight=adidas

Jaybee
06-04-2018, 10:07 PM
If you need the stronger prescriptions, Wiley X seems to accommodate more than most.

I will also throw Salt City Optical into the mix as a good “sports” optician.

djg21
06-05-2018, 07:05 AM
With RX lenses (not clip-in adapters). I use the photochromatic lenses, slightly grey, that I can use in all conditions including at dusk. They have been great. The only issue I’ve encountered is wearing them in an aero helmet when TTing. I had to modify my helmet slightly to make room for the stems.

lhuerta
06-05-2018, 10:26 AM
...if u search the forum u will find LOTS of posts on this topic and you will notice the convergence to Sports Optical in Denver http://www.sportsoptical.com.

U will be hard pressed to find better precision for the price especially if you have a strong Rx and I'm not overstating when I say these guys are second to none.

basilic
06-06-2018, 11:54 AM
I second the recommendation of Sports optical in Denver
I live across the pond, but order sports glasses from them. Excellent shop, and they will make corrections that others say are impossible on a given frame.