PDA

View Full Version : campy ti seatpost - carbon rail compatibility

Ozz
06-04-2018, 07:03 AM
I am trying to find out if my older (~2003) campy ti seatpost is compatible with carbon railed seat...specifically, a Berk saddle with the 7x9mm oval rails.

I found this info on the SelleAnatomica website:

Non-carbon saddles are typically made with round 7mm rails that fit all standard seat post clamps. Carbon saddles however, are made with an oval rail that measures 7mm wide X 9 mm tall. You will need to purchase a seat post clamp that accommodates this 7X9 configuration for your carbon saddle.
There are two different types of seat post clamps that will work.
The first is a clamp that affixes to the top and bottom of the rail, rather than side to side onto the rail. This clamp, which comes standard on many newer bikes, fits both round and oval saddle rails.
The second clamp that will work is a side to side clamp that measures 7mm wide X 9mm tall.
Please make sure to procure one of these types of seat post clamps before you receive your saddle. A traditional side to side 7mm clamp will not work on carbon saddle rails.

My campy post clamps both top and bottom of the rails, so this sounds encouraging. But, I don't know if this info should be considered specific to Selle saddles/rails.

I sent a message to Campagnolo to see what they say, but am still waiting to hear back.

In the meantime, I thought I would tap the knowledge base here to see if this will work for me or if I should look elsewhere for a saddle.

Much thanks!

cmbicycles
06-04-2018, 08:17 AM
You will in all likelyhood be fine. The 2mm difference amounts to about a thread and a half on most seat clamp bolts. If you can look at the top of the clamp with a round rail seat in there (cutout saddle) you should be able to tell whether it will work with 2mm thicker rails... or count how many complete turns from the bolt being tight to falling out, and you have the length of thread engaged, subtract 2mm and decide if you have enough length left. I am pretty sure it will be yes. But if not then send me your campy post and I'll dispose of it properly and you can pick a post that works with modern saddles. ;)

duff_duffy
06-04-2018, 08:20 AM
This weekend I just put a carbon railed Fizik saddle into an old Campy Record Titanium seatpost and it lasted one ride so far. Don’t expect any issues in the future....

Black Dog
06-04-2018, 09:17 AM
It works fine. I have a bike with campy post and carbon railed saddle for years.