PDA

View Full Version : My New saddle: Berk Dila

metalheart
06-03-2018, 04:16 PM
I have been riding a Rivet Independence leather saddle for several years and with a new bike incoming it seemed time to investigate a saddle for the upcoming build. Browsing the vendor forum here led me to an announcement from Elite Velo Solutions about a newer model Berk saddle, the Dila. With my wife’s encouragement, I ordered a padded Dila with oval rails to accommodate my 190ish pounds. The saddle arrived about 10 days and 15 hours of saddle time ago.

The first things I noticed are weight and aesthetics. This saddle is seriously light, almost a pound less than my leather Rivet saddle, and has proportions akin to the power-saddle style: shorter nose and wider platform. I was initially skeptical about the minimal padding and its implications for sit-bone comfort while riding local chip-seal pothole-filled roads After a test ride to make some fore-aft adjustments, the saddle has proved to be more comfortable than I anticipated. There is room to move around, but usually I find a spot and settle-in. Whether climbing, just cruising, or pushing on a group ride, the saddle has been extraordinarily comfortable.

I do use well-padded bib shorts (Rapha Classics), but on one ride I used an older pair of Assos S2s (the one with the orange pad) that has a thinner pad, but my sit-bones were still happy. I spend more time on the hoods than in the drops, but when I do move to the drops, the saddle works well for me: no loss of comfort, rubbing, or chaffing. It just works for the kind of riding I do and I’m happy. Plus, it is a conversation piece!

AZR3
06-03-2018, 05:03 PM
I’ve hand my eye on that exact saddle and have been waiting to hear from someone about how they like it. I’ve always heard how the flex that Berk saddles have is what sets them apart from others and makes them more comfortable. Is the flex noticeable while riding?

Ozz
06-03-2018, 05:30 PM
I am also looking at a Berk to replace my recently cracked Fizik Arione…

Can I keep my campy ti seat post? I want to make sure the clamp is compatible with carbon rails. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

Mzilliox
06-03-2018, 05:41 PM
I am also looking at a Berk to replace my recently cracked Fizik Arione…

Can I keep my campy ti seat post? I want to make sure the clamp is compatible with carbon rails. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

i rode arione, then fabric scoop, and now berk lupina. i have used it on old carbon record post, fizik post, ritchey post. i did get the round rails though.

azrider
06-03-2018, 06:19 PM
How wide we talkin?

Ozz
06-03-2018, 06:33 PM
i rode arione, then fabric scoop, and now berk lupina. i have used it on old carbon record post, fizik post, ritchey post. i did get the round rails though.
How old is your carbon record post?

IIRC, about 2003 or so, Record changed to a carbon shaft, but kept the same alloy clamp...the Ti post became the Chorus seatpost.

unfortunately, I am at the weight limit for the Berk round rails and will (hopefully) be getting oval ones...just need to confirm my seatpost clamp will work.

metalheart
06-03-2018, 06:57 PM
I use a Fizik seatpost and there is no issue with the oval rails fitting that post.

I think the advertised width of the Dila is 160mm. So far, no issues with the width. The Rivet saddle it replaced was also 160mm wide. before the Rivet I rode a Regal, about 150mm wide, and an SMP 209 light 139mm wide.

The Dila does flex some, not too much, but it is noticeable enough and I like what that flex adds to ride comfort. However, what I have noticed most about the saddle while riding is that I do not notice it at all.

pjmsj21
06-03-2018, 11:29 PM
Hmmm. I have also been very happily riding a Rivet Independence as well and am about to order a new one but this thread has me thinking. I also am 190lbs, and also ride Rapha Classic bibs. I have been a little skeptical of very light saddles as I am not particularly performance minded and would rather be comfortable on the bike than a half pound or so lighter.

By chance is there a trial program?

Pat Mc

metalheart
06-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Hmmm. I have also been very happily riding a Rivet Independence as well and am about to order a new one but this thread has me thinking. I also am 190lbs, and also ride Rapha Classic bibs. I have been a little skeptical of very light saddles as I am not particularly performance minded and would rather be comfortable on the bike than a half pound or so lighter.

By chance is there a trial program?

Pat Mc

The Rivet is a very comfortable saddle and has worked well for me. I have been reluctant to even consider a carbon saddle, partially for comfort reasons and partially for concerns about durability. I have been surprised by the comfort of the Dila, it just works in the same way the Rivet has for me, I don't think about it while riding. Using my kitchen scale, the Dila is almost a full pound less than the Rivet. I'm not generally concerned about component weight, but the lighter weight saddle is appreciated.

pjmsj21
06-04-2018, 09:36 AM
The Rivet is a very comfortable saddle and has worked well for me. I have been reluctant to even consider a carbon saddle, partially for comfort reasons and partially for concerns about durability. I have been surprised by the comfort of the Dila, it just works in the same way the Rivet has for me, I don't think about it while riding. Using my kitchen scale, the Dila is almost a full pound less than the Dila. I'm not generally concerned about component weight, but the lighter weight saddle is appreciated.

Good to hear of your experience. I contacted Elite Velo and unfortunately they don't have any type of saddle trial program and at $300 its a sizeable gamble over a saddle that has worked. So I am still very much on the fence.

whateveronfire
06-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Good to hear of your experience. I contacted Elite Velo and unfortunately they don't have any type of saddle trial program and at $300 its a sizeable gamble over a saddle that has worked. So I am still very much on the fence.

Ditto. I'm pretty happy with my Specialized Phenoms, but am intrigued by these.

Hmm, bike expenses.

metalheart
06-11-2018, 02:40 PM
I have another week on this saddle and it continues to be comfortable. Longest ride is about 4 hours. On some rides I do shift around some to find the sweet spot and on the 4 hour ride getting out of the saddle every so often after about 3 hours helped to keep my sit bones happy. Also on that ride, there was a head wind for about 2 hours of the ride and I was in and out of the drops for most of that time and the saddle was still very comfortable. I'm very happy with the style, comfort, and weight of the saddle. The real bonus for me is the about 100 or so gram weight. Tat is a good ratio of weight to comfort for me.