PDA

View Full Version : buying here selling on eBay ?

molly47
06-03-2018, 03:55 PM
I sold a bike to someone on this forum a month ago and just saw it on eBay for $1000 more, just think its rather inappropriate? I guess I gave it away

marciero
06-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Yes, is bad form IMO.

likebikes
06-03-2018, 04:03 PM
link?

velotrack
06-03-2018, 04:04 PM
depending on the sale price the seller may also be taking into account fees (ebay and paypal) as well as if someone made an offer. but yeah, totally depends...

nmrt
06-03-2018, 04:06 PM
It has happened to me too. I do not stress about it. After I sell it (as a bro deal or not), it does not matter to me what the person does with it. If he/she wants to ride it themselves, I am happier selling it. But if he/she wants to just flip it for a few dollars more, I am not as happy but I still sell it. After all, it is no one but me responsible for the price I sold it for.

link?

eddief
06-03-2018, 04:08 PM
sucks.

some people like money, some like friendship, some like profit, some choose acting like victims.

ultraman6970
06-03-2018, 04:09 PM
I do not think you gave it away, probably the buyer did not like it? 1000 bucks more is hard to get at ebay now a days, here prices are pretty well set and from there to mickey mouse numbers at ebay you get to numbers that probably arent going to happen.

I sold a bike to someone on this forum a month ago and just saw it on eBay for $1000 more, just think its rather inappropriate? I guess I gave it away

nmrt
06-03-2018, 04:11 PM
i found the bike on ebay with 1 min of detective work. NICE bike!
:banana:

link?

choke
06-03-2018, 04:15 PM
It has happened to me too. I do not stress about it. After I sell it (as a bro deal or not), it does not matter to me what the person does with it. If he/she wants to ride it themselves, I am happier selling it. But if he/she wants to just flip it for a few dollars more, I am not as happy but I still sell it. After all, it is no one but me responsible for the price I sold it for.Yep. The first time it happened to me I was a bit POd but after I thought about it I ended up with the amount of money that I wanted in pocket....what happens after that isn't my concern. And just because someone lists it for more money doesn't always mean it sells for more money.

Clean39T
06-03-2018, 04:19 PM
If you put a bike on eBay, you gotta factor a 20%+ haircut through accepting a best offer, 13% fees, and probably lose some in shipping too.

That said, it does stink if someone asks for a bro-deal or haggles you, and then flips it.

If they pay what you offered it for though, not much to complain about there.

If you only want to pass bro deals to bros, post at a higher price and offer a discount to the peeps you like on here if they contact you.

rallizes

tbike4

Sherlock Holmes. Or is it Columbo. A long time ago I sold an Atlanta on CL for what I thought was the right price. OMG was I wrong.

rallizes

who bought it?

joosttx
06-03-2018, 04:25 PM
sucks.

some people like money, some like friendship, some like profit, some choose acting like victims.

Agreed once you sell something it doesn’t belong to you anymore. I remind myself this when something like that happens.

zzy
06-03-2018, 04:31 PM
Just because it's listed doesn't mean it will sell. Seller is probably very optimistic and the market is very soft right now.

Cicli
06-03-2018, 04:31 PM
who bought it?

Who cares?
The OP sold it.
The new owner is selling “their” bike.

Hilltopperny
06-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Not always in good taste, but selling it on eBay will cost 13% plus shipping and time. Sure they marked it up by almost 30%, but it may sit there for quite a while. Lots of leftover 2017 models for way below msrp right now on eBay.

That was a very nice bike you sold and with and extremely nice build. Unfortunately not everybody on here sees things from the same perspective.

I personally go through multiple bikes every year and sell here for less if I can. I don’t take it personal if the person I sold to decides to try and make a few bucks when they sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrossiter
06-03-2018, 04:46 PM
I've done similar, but not to that degree. Bought something here and soon had a change of heart/project.

On the surface it may have seemed as though I made money, but accounting for shipping/fees/OBO I actually lost a slight amount.

Who knows the reason, could be bad form on the buyer's part...but if you sold it for (what you believed to be) a fair amount of $$ then it shouldnt really matter.

rallizes
06-03-2018, 04:48 PM
who cares?
The op sold it.
The new owner is selling “their” bike.

glws

Cicli
06-03-2018, 04:52 PM
glws

Agreed, but it is what it is.

cadence90
06-03-2018, 04:56 PM
At least the OP sold it here, at an acceptable price/deal to him/her I presume. What's done is then done.

Mildly annoying to see it later on eBay, I guess; more annoying if it actually sells, I guess; but either way I don't really see an issue at all, once the thing is gone.

Surely it is better to actually sell here than to have the typical self-righteous PLF schoolmarms post in Classifieds listings they are not remotely interested in, sanctimoniously chirping on about how they would prefer that I (just for example, of course) title/organize/bundle/schedule/bump my own FS threads, etc. :rolleyes:

earlfoss
06-03-2018, 05:05 PM
did the buyer give you a lowball-bottomfeeder offer

bigbill
06-03-2018, 05:07 PM
I've bought four bikes from this forum, still have them all. Just in case someone checks. 2 steel GT's, Ti Serotta, and the BLE.

Clean39T
06-03-2018, 05:10 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180603/369a112c87ed5dbe4df25b5dc4f518a9.jpg

cadence90
06-03-2018, 05:14 PM
did the buyer give you a lowball-bottomfeeder offer
Nope, not even that. Just the holier-than-thou generosity of his completely free advice. "Saving the world one PLF Classifieds listing at a time!" and all that, I guess. What do I know; some people just have "the calling".... :rolleyes:

I've bought four bikes from this forum, still have them all. Just in case someone checks. 2 steel GT's, Ti Serotta, and the BLE.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

Your BLE is one of the best ever, seriously. I really love that bicycle. To this day, so many years later, when I think of great orange colors, I see that beauty.

nobuseri
06-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Haha. The suspense.

I have done the same - if is hasn’t worked out (fit/expectations) or I changed ideas.
Not defending, but a bro deal from a bro deal equals a loss. Letting it sit on eBay sometimes is not a bad thing. This is if the scenario I suggested is true.

Buying at a bro deal and trying to flip for a profit is a bit uncool - even if the original seller doesn’t care.

fignon's barber
06-03-2018, 05:23 PM
Unless I'm reading the public profile wrong, 100% of the op's posts in the last 15 months have been selling in Classifieds. If you come here just to sell items, a business deal is a business. Don't whine if the buyer paid the price you asked and turned it over.

earlfoss
06-03-2018, 05:30 PM
i need someone to bro deal me a MX Leader asap

moobikes
06-03-2018, 06:02 PM
I know which bike the OP is taking about. It's unlikely the buyer will make much profit from the bike ebay. It's also unlikely the OP would have gotten a much better price from PL. All in all it's not much of a difference.

Peter P.
06-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Once the buyer purchased the bike from the Paceline seller, they can do with it as they please, including attempt to make a profit from it.

The OP has no valid axe to grind here, and the buyer is not scum for trying to flip the bike.

It was a business transaction, pure and simple.

jumphigher
06-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Unless the buyer tells you some sob story or you give the person a low price because they misrepresent their intentions, I dont think it matters what someone does with a bike once they buy it.

If someone re-sold any of the bikes I've sold in the past for much more than I sold it to them for, it wouldnt bother me at all, honestly.

Llewellyn
06-03-2018, 06:20 PM
Unless the buyer tells you some sob story or you give the person a low price because they misrepresent their intentions, I dont think it matters what someone does with a bike once they buy it.

If someone re-sold any of the bikes I've sold in the past for much more than I sold it to them for, it wouldnt bother me at all, honestly.

This. If the OP got a price that they were happy with then I don't know why they would get all bent out of shape if the buyer sells it on for a higher price. In fact, good luck to them if they do. It's called capitalism.

beeatnik
06-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Complaining about classifieds transactions on a free forum is so weird.

glepore
06-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Bro deal? With all due respect, in this soft market most of the pricing here isn’t “bro”. Once you’re a seller, you’ve let it go, so what the buyer does is his business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbike4
06-03-2018, 06:54 PM
This thread needs pictures. I had never ridden a Serotta. I got this on CL about 10 years ago. It was 1 size too small but I then realized what GOOD felt like. I flipped it and made like $300. I sold it quick and had no idea why. I saw it a week later for $200 more than it sold for. The part that pissed me off was the seller was using my photos. $¶it happens.

The moral of the story is: get an Atlanta with a steel fork and move on. And get matching tires. ;)

cadence90
06-03-2018, 07:03 PM
And get matching tires. ;)
Or not.

$200 min off for that right there. ;)

pbarry
06-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Edit: Guess not--No red decals but everything else matched...

tuscanyswe
06-03-2018, 07:15 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=222751&highlight=Moots+routt

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Moots-Routt-45/173334671499?hash=item285b8d308b:g:TGoAAOSwNNVbB6n 9

Thats not it, is it?

I mean the specs are all wrong and it would be a job you had to pay me to do just to find out if there was any "winnings" left after subtracting the enve wheels vs i9 or the da cranks vs sisl etc etc.

huck*this
06-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Thats not it, is it?

I mean the specs are all wrong and it would be a job you had to pay me to do just to find out if there was any "winnings" left after subtracting the enve wheels vs i9 or the da cranks vs sisl etc etc.

If that is it. He bought the bike swapped for the parts he wanted and reselling the bike with the parts he did not care for. Maybe OP didn't want to part out the bike and he said the heck with it I will just buy the whole thing, swap with what I want and resell.

Like others have said and I have done and seen it multiple times. Once I sell something it is no longer mine. The new owner can do with it as they see fit. I got the money for it that I wanted and move on.

edited reason>>> Oh just found the bike in question. Not sure if correct but if it is Cannondale Scalpel that guys flips bikes all day to make money. I have chatted with him before. Nothing wrong with that of course. Also honestly. Not really making much after fees ect. But he deals in volume anyways. So $100 profit on a sale of a bike means more to him then us here.

charliedid
06-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Them's the breaks.

You break up with someone and they get to date whoever they want.

cadence90
06-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Them's the breaks.

You break up with someone and they get to date whoever they want.

Indeed.

#MeghanMarkle'sEx.

:)

pbarry
06-03-2018, 07:47 PM
That looks more like it. I read Chris King/Ultegra mechs and was off to the races. ;)

B][/B]

edited reason>>> Oh just found the bike in question. Not sure if correct but if it is Cannondale Scalpel that guys flips bikes all day to make money. I have chatted with him before. Nothing wrong with that of course. Also honestly. Not really making much after fees ect. But he deals in volume anyways. So $100 profit on a sale of a bike means more to him then us here.

p nut
06-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Call me a romantic. I like seeing my old bikes ridden by members here. I sold a fat bike to a forumite a few years ago. Gave home a Bro deal. Guy used it and loved it. Then decided to move on and sell it. Gave me the first right of refusal. Sold it to me for a bro deal and few extras at an equally nice price. So happy I get to ride my old bike again.

Sold a Fargo to another who used it to tour Iceland and sent me pictures. Just seeing the pictures and knowing the bike is being used like it was meant to. Gets me the fuzzies. Like watching a child grow up. Ok, sappy hour over.

peanutgallery
06-03-2018, 10:04 PM
No one says you have to sell to someone, just cut that guy out in future if you don't like how he operates

You can always post about it in the feedback thread if you're so inclined but I would recommend moving on as you took the cash