PDA

View Full Version : Need shop recommendation in Denver area for new bike purchase (Mosaic or maybe Seven)

NYCfixie
06-03-2018, 02:34 PM
My older brother wants to purchase a new bike for his wife to celebrate their 15th anniversary. She has been riding my old Lynskey R255 Ultegra mechanical 6800 for about three years (our fit numbers are almost identical) and puts in about 100-150 miles per week. The live in Cherry Hills Village so something local would be best.

The have been using Schwab Cycles (http://www.schwabcycles.com/) for several years (recommended by a family friend who has been a customer for more than 20 years). Schwab built up the Lynskey, they have purchased other things from the shop, and used the service but unfortunately they are "only" a Moots dealer. While they really like Bruce Schwab, I am not sure if they can use him for either Mosaic or Seven since he is a very-long-time Moots dealer.

The first choice will be Mosaic but I also want them to look at Seven in case the pricing becomes too much for them (even though I have prepared them for the jump from Lynskey to Mosaic or Seven).

This would be a new custom titanium Ultegra Di2 bike so the shop needs to sell Mosaic and be well versed with Di2.

What amazing shop/studio would you recommend to your older brother (and his wife) for a first custom?

Duende
06-03-2018, 02:46 PM
I would reach out to Mosaic directly. They’ll set you up with a good recommend. They’re in boulder too btw.

NYCfixie
06-03-2018, 02:54 PM
I would reach out to Mosaic directly. They’ll set you up with a good recommend. They’re in boulder too btw.

I visited Boulder (and Mosaic) one time a few years ago when I was out visiting my family. I think Mosaic has since moved to a bigger location in Boulder.

I am asking for recommendations here because I know sometimes builders do not like to give recommendations so they are not perceived as favoring some shops over others they do business with.

nmrt
06-03-2018, 03:34 PM
i wanted a mosaic a year ago so i approached pro peloton in boulder. but i was put off by the snobbish attitude and was also given some incorrect details. they also never got back to me after they told me they would regarding some questions i had. matter of fact, i contacted mosaic directly and told them about my experience. Phillip at Mosaic was very responsive and answered all my questions.

anyway, i also contacted Define Cycling in Denver and spoke to Steve. It was a great exchange of information. I wish I could have purchased a Mosaic through them. However, I did not since I just wanted a "normal" butted Ti road bike with rim brakes without all the "doodads" -- disc brakes, thru axle, 44 mm HT, internal routing etc. And for someone like me who just wanted a "normal" bike, Mosaic was pretty expensive. I ended up getting a DeSalvo instead. LOVE IT!

BTW, if you want all the "doodads" Mosaic price is in the same league with many other custom builders.

Duende
06-03-2018, 03:47 PM
From Mosaic's website

https://denverfitloft.com/

NYCfixie
06-03-2018, 03:53 PM

From Mosaic's website

https://denverfitloft.com/

I appreciate the info but just as nmrt shared, just because a shop is listed on a builders website does not mean you will have a good experience.

doomridesout
06-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Not to be contrarian, but is there any reason Moots isn't on the table? I mean, what ya want, ya want, but if they have a relationship with a Moots dealer and Moots can deliver the finished product as specified, they're great bikes.

NYCfixie
06-03-2018, 04:09 PM
My brother said he wanted the "best" so....

I mentioned they could fly to Italy for a Passoni (http://www.passoni.it/index.php) which he turned down.

Then I mentioned they could fly to Boston, see me and my wife, get on Firefly (https://fireflybicycles.com/)'s list, and then come back in 14 months when they reach their turn in the queue.

Then I mentioned Mosaic not realizing they do not really work directly with customers anymore. I also mentioned Seven in case they needed a less expensive option.

Moots is great but by the time you pay for the custom up-charge you might as well go with Mosaic or Seven who do custom every single day. I love Moots but they are a production company who also do custom work rather than a company who only does custom work. It may not make sense to all but that was my logic.

doomridesout
06-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Kent Eriksen/Brad Bingham? Local-ish, all custom, definitely the very tippy-top tier, not too insanely expensive (for what you get).

gdw
06-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Gangl Custom Cycles is local, offers custom ti frames, and has an excellent reputation although he isn't well know outside of Colorado.
http://ganglcustomcycles.com/history/

dustyrider
06-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Since we’re spending your brother’s money, we shouldn’t be forgetting No. 22!
Send him this link: https://22bicycles.com/collections/made-to-order-bikes

tuscanyswe
06-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Is Seven now a less expensive option for ti bikes with all the dodahs? Something has gone terribly wrong in the world .)

ERK55
06-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Doubt it.

Hellgate
06-03-2018, 08:29 PM
i wanted a mosaic a year ago so i approached pro peloton in boulder. but i was put off by the snobbish attitude and was also given some incorrect details. they also never got back to me after they told me they would regarding some questions i had. matter of fact, i contacted mosaic directly and told them about my experience. Phillip at Mosaic was very responsive and answered all my questions.

anyway, i also contacted Define Cycling in Denver and spoke to Steve. It was a great exchange of information. I wish I could have purchased a Mosaic through them. However, I did not since I just wanted a "normal" butted Ti road bike with rim brakes without all the "doodads" -- disc brakes, thru axle, 44 mm HT, internal routing etc. And for someone like me who just wanted a "normal" bike, Mosaic was pretty expensive. I ended up getting a DeSalvo instead. LOVE IT!

BTW, if you want all the "doodads" Mosaic price is in the same league with many other custom builders.Ah, the Bouldertude, dude... I always found it hysterical that hippies working retail pull attitude. I'll go elsewhere...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

John H.
06-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Colby Pearce in Boulder is selling Seven now.
He is also a fitter- Has trained with Steve Hogg.

NYCfixie
06-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Is Seven now a less expensive option for ti bikes with all the dodahs? Something has gone terribly wrong in the world .)

Mosaic takes it up a notch with internal cable routing and other doodads that can really add up quickly and make an otherwise basic Ti bike very expensive.

booglebug
06-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Have rode several different brand Ti frames, can’t see anything better than a Seven. Owner of two.

mjb266
06-04-2018, 06:06 AM
Sounds like a job for Tom Kellogg to me.

NYCfixie
06-04-2018, 07:06 AM
Have rode several different brand Ti frames, can’t see anything better than a Seven. Owner of two.

Seven is my personal N=1 bike which I have had for a few years now.

Sounds like a job for Tom Kellogg to me.
Good idea but not sure if they want to fly out to the barn several times to get fitted, pickup, etc.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2018, 07:09 AM
PM sent..:)

Tickdoc
06-04-2018, 08:11 AM
I would be driving to Boulder right now if I was in your shoes.

NYCfixie
06-04-2018, 08:17 AM
I would be driving to Boulder right now if I was in your shoes.

I live in Boston so it would be a long drive (my brother and a few other family members are the ones in Denver) but I will be out there in less than 2 weeks visiting so I may see if I have time. Unfortunately it is a Friday to Sunday trip for a family event but I am not sure if I will get in early enough on Friday to make it anywhere.

cmbicycles
06-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Good idea but not sure if they want to fly out to the barn several times to get fitted, pickup, etc.

He does remote fits too, as do many builders. I would think one trip max for fitting, if they wanted to fit in person, then the bike is shipped to the shop of their choice if they don't want to do the final assembly.

NYCfixie
06-04-2018, 08:36 AM
He does remote fits too, as do many builders. I would think one trip max for fitting, if they wanted to fit in person, then the bike is shipped to the shop of their choice if they don't want to do the final assembly.

I know my brother well and for a first custom, for his wife, they need someone local they can work with though the entire process (not a judgement of Tom) from initial fitting, through build, and necessary tweaks that happen after a few rides.

Tickdoc
06-04-2018, 08:38 AM
I live in Boston so it would be a long drive (my brother and a few other family members are the ones in Denver) but I will be out there in less than 2 weeks visiting so I may see if I have time. Unfortunately it is a Friday to Sunday trip for a family event but I am not sure if I will get in early enough on Friday to make it anywhere.

well then seven or no 22 seem like great options.

NYCfixie
06-04-2018, 08:51 AM
well then seven or no 22 seem like great options.

The bike is for my brother's wife (they are the ones who live in Denver) and not me so Mosaic, Moots, and possibly Seven (if they find a good dealer) are good options.