PDA

View Full Version : What saddle/bars for big guy?

bob1992
10-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi everybody, I haven't used the forum for a long time, and I'm hoping I can get some good advice. I was hit by a car from behind 5 days ago and my Legend is crunched. Looks like the driver is going to replace it, so I'm going to my local dealer this weekend to discuss details and possibly some equipment changes. My question is this: can anyone recommend from experience a comfortable saddle for a large rider? I'm 6-4, 240 lbs, and I've been playing with saddles for 4 years and still not found one that fits well. I also want to get the widest/largest diameter bars I can, my existing bike has Richey 46 cm, does anyone know of anything as wide (or wider) in an "OS" or larger diameter size?

Thanks.

dave thompson
10-21-2006, 01:48 PM
For saddes: Brooks.

mike p
10-21-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm a large fata$$ and have flites on all my bikes. I have tried others but love flites.

Mike

quehill
10-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Another big guy here. For saddles, I like the Selle San Marco Regal and the Terry Fly. The Regal is probably 50x cooler, but just a little less comfortable for me... and comfort usually wins out as far as saddles are concerned.

If you're loooking for an OS handlebar, I'd check out the carbon Bontrager Race X-Lite. It comes in a 46 (which I think, but am not sure, is a c to c number for Bontrager), has an extremely large flat ramp, and absorbs road vibration nicely.

Cheers

Firenze
10-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Six foot 260 (working on that, down from 285). Aliante sport = pain for me. Terri was ok but a bit wide for my thighs. Brooks Swallow from Wallbike (they have a 6 month return poicy) is just right. Just got back from 20 miles with only mild discomfort. It gets better with each ride. Best of luck.

djg21
10-21-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm 6'3 and big for a cyclist. I too like the Regal! Regarding larger diameter bars, I add something like the Aztec or Specialized padding under those portions of the bar that I grip to increase diameter and acomodate my larger hands.

Frankwurst
10-21-2006, 04:51 PM
For saddes: Brooks.
I agree. Same for Saddles. Sorry to pick on your spelling Dave but I'm sure you'll have a chance to get me bacc. :beer:B17,s

PaulE
10-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Salsa makes the Road Pro in an oversize (stem section of the bar only) 46cm.

Rivendell has a Nitto bar that comes in a 48, although it is a traditional bend and not oversize.

I don't think there is such a thing as an oversize bar from end to end. Do the component mfr's even make brifter clamps in an oversize diameter?

SoCalSteve
10-21-2006, 05:08 PM
A very personal topic....

Like bib shorts, pedals,shoes and gloves saddles are very personal. That being said, I am 6' 5" and weigh about 245. I have tried every saddle out there on many different bikes.

What I have found is that the Brooks B-17 Champion Special works the best for me. And, to make it even better, it works so well that I can do long, long rides with virtually no discomfort.

Again, your results may vary as we all have individual size and shaped rear ends.

Good luck!

Steve

Ahneida Ride
10-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Bob

I swear by my Brooks. Consider the B67 model. ( with springs )
The springs are way stiff and even a Monster like Uncle William
would not move then appreciably.

The springs add just a tad of cushioning.
I've since replaced the Berthoud bags with a Carradice Zipped Roll.

http://www.wallbike.com/cbikes/berthoudb67.jpg

Why the B67? Well it has plenty of real estate so that one's seat bones
actually position themselves on the Saddle. One does not experience the typical Wedgie.

Also since the B67 is a saddle (not a seat) one may adjust the tension'
on the saddle to even further tune in comfort.

Check em out at Wallbike (http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/singlerailsprungsaddles.html).
I do believe Wallbike also has a very generous return policy.

I'll defer on the Handlebar question, but try a Nitto or Oval.
I'm running some "cushion stuff" under Brooks Leather tape.
This combination creates a nice feel. I do not know what the cushion
stuff is ... My LBS installed it.

After 800 miles, I was about to give up riding.
I was in just too much pain.
If it was not for Brooks, Uncle William would have a Nice Legend.

Now just make sure to point the nose up. In addition you may also
need a setback post. The B67 has little horizontal room to slide.

Don't be shy about making subtle adjustment on the Brooks either.
And don't believe the hype that it takes forever to break in.
I knew within 5 seconds that this saddle was for me.

Hit me with a PM if I can be of more help. As I see it, If you can't get
the seat/saddle right, all else is in vain. ;)

my best,

Fivethumbs
10-21-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm pretty much the same size as you. For a saddle I use a Koobi AU Enduro. It is really comfortable and is a pretty nice looking saddle. It doesn't look like a "comfort" saddle and I've had no numbness like other saddles. For bars I use the Deda 215 Classic Bend Belgium Deep Drop bars at 46cm 0-0. Deda also makes a deep drop classic bend for oversized stems.

Jeff N.
10-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Hi everybody, I haven't used the forum for a long time, and I'm hoping I can get some good advice. I was hit by a car from behind 5 days ago and my Legend is crunched. Looks like the driver is going to replace it, so I'm going to my local dealer this weekend to discuss details and possibly some equipment changes. My question is this: can anyone recommend from experience a comfortable saddle for a large rider? I'm 6-4, 240 lbs, and I've been playing with saddles for 4 years and still not found one that fits well. I also want to get the widest/largest diameter bars I can, my existing bike has Richey 46 cm, does anyone know of anything as wide (or wider) in an "OS" or larger diameter size?

Thanks.I'm your size and there's only one saddle that'll do: Selle Italia Turbomatic-4. Aluminum Deda Magic or Newton bars in "Dolly Parton" 46 is usually my choice, mated with a Deda Newton stem, 31.7 size. Sweetness. Bomb-proof. I use the kinda rare Deda 31/86 (31.7 diameter, 86 degree rise). If you can locate one, I can highly recommend it. Jeff N.

d_douglas
10-22-2006, 04:33 AM
I use a Salsa Short and Shallow bar in 46c-c and it is great - simple, oversized and cheap. (My other bike has a Salsa Pro Road standard bar in 46c-c and its great too.)

As for saddles, this is a difficult one, as preference is mostly based on your personal anatomy and biomechanics, so you will receive a million suggestions but most will not work for you. I have never owned a Brooks (and am not a huge fan of the aesthetics on nice road bikes) but they are consistently hailed as heavenly. I would think they are great saddles.

My Serotta came with a Regal - I tried it and it was nice and comfy, but I have a personal thing for Flites. They just feel right to me.

Oh, I am 6'1" and 200lbs.

If you are interested in the Regal, I would sell it. $55 + shipping.

victoryfactory
10-22-2006, 06:32 AM
I've weighed as much as 225 and as little as 160 in the last 30
years, (currently 174) so I've experienced the saddle thing from both sides.
One thing I have learned is:
There is no "Big Guy" saddle!
Your contact points are relatively the same when you are heavy or light.
The difference is when you are heavy, there is more pressure on those
points and as a result, more discomfort, so heavy riders choice of saddle is
more critical.
I always liked the Terry Fly the best, until I tried the fizik Aliante which is
my current fave, but one thing that really helped me was an LBS that had a very
cool policy on saddles:
If you buy a new saddle you get not a new one out of the box, but a used one
from a selection they have on hand, you try it for a month, if not satisfied
you can exchange it for another from the "saddle Pool" and when you find the
best fit, they present you with a new copy (you already paid, remember?)
This is an innovative approach to the saddle problem, and I wish all good LBS
would do it. After all, aren't they always looking for ways to convince us
that we should patronize them, rather than on-line stores?
Welp, mr. LBS, there's a start

VF, wandering off topic as usual...

BTW, the LBS that had that policy was Cyclepaths in Easthampton, Long
Island. Thanks ,guys I hope you are still doing that

djg
10-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Well, I've never been your size or your weight, but you might look at the Avocet Air O2 saddles, which are fairly sturdy and come in several different widths. I've moved on to the Aliante, but I used to like the "race" width and I know some bigger folks have liked the medium (I'm not sure what term they use for it) width.

The comment about the sit bones is probably right and may be important--your bone structure wants support where it does. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the average width for folks 6'4" was wider than that for folks who are 5'9".

bigman
10-22-2006, 07:07 AM
For the saddle love the San Marco Regal - also like the Serfas terrazo or terrano. For bars - Ritchey WCS.

Marcusaurelius
10-22-2006, 10:05 AM
As someone said saddle choice is a very personal thing. For me the only saddle that ever worked was the selle italia turbo. Of course there are modern iterations but the orginal black leather turbo is a perfect fit. Handlebars are always challenge because I use campagnolo shifters and I prefer the double gooves on my handlebars single grooves can work but it's not for me.

Try one till you find the right one and then hope the manufacturer continues to make them.

Oddly enough I still use 3t handlebars and stems (oversized) but I will probaly try Deda newton combination this year--maybe.

ti_boi
10-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Nothing but the BROOKS Ti Swift for me....tried many...this is THE ONE.

Bars, I picked up some great carbon ZIPP bars connected to a thick ol' Thompson Elite. The ZIPPs come with a flat top with an oval shape for a nice upright position and a cool bend for speedy stuff....love them too. Wide enough for me....6'3" 235.....Ugh....I wanna lose a few :banana:

Simon Q
10-22-2006, 11:10 PM
I am 6'4.5". Fizik Aliante BUT set up is super critcial it be mm perfect for you, esp set back and angle. Bear with it though, the rewards will be there in the end.

It has a shortish nose so likley nose will be further back than your current saddle. Angle: start with the main section of the nose level and work up in tiny increments from there. It is very likely that the tail will end up a lot higher than the nose but depends on your hip angle when riding.

William
10-23-2006, 05:47 AM
I'm a large fata$$ and have flites on all my bikes. I have tried others but love flites.

Mike

Ditto (except the large fata$$ part).

6' 6" and a solid 255 - 260 pounds. Been riding flites since the mid 90's and have never had an issue.

Though I know of a certain Brooks saddle that "if" I were to aquire.....a 65 cm Legend would soon follow.

William (going into Ninja mode ;) )