PDA

View Full Version : Totally tubular craziness

duff_duffy
06-03-2018, 10:31 AM
I have a new found respect for those that ride tubulars. 5 minutes to take wheel off, 1 hour plus getting old glue off, prepping new tire....and I can’t wait to mount the new one. I want my clinchers back, I’d be riding right now;)

Ok, I’m also moving over to tubular tape, how wide should the tape cover? Do you get it as wide as the outer edge of rim or leave some room? Thanks for any tips from those that have suffered through this process! I thought I’d enjoy trying to mount tubulars but I’m missing something. Give me some motivation and tell me how worth it it is going to be.

Lionel
06-03-2018, 10:43 AM
don't remove old glue.

don't use tape.

thwart
06-03-2018, 10:59 AM
don't remove old glue.

don't use tape.

No expert here (:rolleyes:), but I'd agree on both counts... just scrape off any chunks/glops.

AngryScientist
06-03-2018, 11:19 AM
don't remove old glue.

don't use tape.

agreed on both counts.

the other way i look at it, if you're going to ride tubulars, you should have a couple spare sets of wheels.

ride now, glue later.

monkeybanana86
06-03-2018, 11:38 AM
agreed on both counts.

the other way i look at it, if you're going to ride tubulars, you should have a couple spare sets of wheels.

ride now, glue later.

That's exactly it. I'm new to tubulars too and that's all I ride now even commuting. You just have to plan ahead a little but once you have everything (order a bunch of tires) it's not a problem.

I have spares stretching at all times on busted rims--ask your local shop. You can even use clincher rims to stretch. And I have two wheelsets like Angry suggests so I don't need to wait.

Calnago
06-03-2018, 11:40 AM
I like to remove all old glue to the point you can’t tell it’s even been glued before. Basically like to start fresh each time. Yeah, it’s a lot more work but I figure sooner or later it’s gonna build up into an uneven, even harder to remove mess down the road. And yes, if you’re running tubulars, you should have more than one set, or at minimum some clincher backups. Oh, and it takes me 15 minutes to pry off one of tubulars. Wish it only took 5. They’re not for everyone. Yet I love ‘em.

monkeybanana86
06-03-2018, 11:47 AM
I like to remove all old glue to the point you can’t tell it’s even been glued before. Basically like to start fresh each time. Yeah, it’s a lot more work but I figure sooner or later it’s gonna build up into an uneven, even harder to remove mess down the road. And yes, if you’re running tubulars, you should have more than one set, or at minimum some clincher backups. Oh, and it takes me 15 minutes to pry off one of tubulars. Wish it only took 5. They’re not for everyone. Yet I love ‘em.

Do you use a tire lever? It doesn't take me long to rip a tire off and I don't skimp on glue.

To the OP, sealant rules too if you haven't gotten any yet. I have a tire holding air after two months. I can't patch it since it's a TUFO but no problemo with sealant.

Vientomas
06-03-2018, 11:54 AM
I used one of these filled with Goo Gone to soak my rims...rotated every 12 hours until all glue removed. No scrubbing necessary. https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=258582

I used Carogna tape for the new install. Worked like a charm. Not sure why few peeps here like or use tape. Granted, I have yet to remove a tire from a taped rim...perhaps that's the issue?

Lionel
06-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Removing a tire takes one minute with a plastic lever.

Gummee
06-03-2018, 12:34 PM
agreed on both counts.

ride now, glue later.

This

Course both my tubular gravel wheelsets are missing rear tires at the moment so I've gone to tubeless temporarily.

Miss my tubulars

M

Joxster
06-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Don't remove the old glue, it gives a bed for the new stuff to hold on to. Do you scrub a wok and then re-season after every use?

Calnago
06-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Leaving old glue on just creates a bed of old dried glue which is uneven and builds up over time. To each his own. I’d leave my wok alone too, since I don’t want things to stick in my wok. Tubular rims on the other hand, I like them to stick.

Ripping off a Tubular from a carbon rim is just asking for trouble, as in risking pulling off carbon fibers/layers from the rim bed along with it. I get something to pry underneath then wedge a strong tire iron underneath and across the rim then work my way around. And yeah, realistically it takes about 15 minutes and it’s a bit of work.

Too much glue is not good. I’ve experimented with different layers and I’ve found (using a Veloflex Tubular as an example) that following Vittorias instructions for their Mastik One works best. One thin layer on rim, one thin layer on base tape, let cure. One more thin layer on rim then mount. Let cure, ride. It’s contact cement. The pressure activates it. More layers of glue than that just makes for a thicker layer of mushiness for your tire to squirm around on, especially if it gets overheated.
Everyone can have their own way of doing things. That’s mine and the reasons for it.

Hindmost
06-03-2018, 02:03 PM
I used one of these filled with Goo Gone to soak my rims...rotated every 12 hours until all glue removed. No scrubbing necessary...

What do you use to rinse off the Goo Gone? Does stuff migrate to inside the rim?

ls1togo
06-03-2018, 03:28 PM
I, too, use Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape ... starting with a clean wheel base, goes on easy and neat. It comes in several different widths, I've used 16.5mm with a narrow wheel (Mavic RS) and 20mm with Zipp 303's...
I have clinchers as a back up but I haven't had any issues.

ultraman6970
06-03-2018, 03:37 PM
1 hour plus getting old glue off ??????????????

You dont remove the glue off the rim :D

As for tape, I used tufo tape once, great stuff but the problem was that I couldnt remove the tubular off the rim :D Idea maybe for the track but for the road nah...

If you ask how to glue tobulars to every one of us that use tubulars you will have zillions of different ways to glue them, but one thing in common is that you dont have to use a lot of glue either. How to know if the glue is enough? experience.

duff_duffy
06-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Ok, maybe a bit less than 5 minutes to get old tire off but a lot longer than taking a clincher off. The old glue was an hour to get off. if you can do it quicker let me know the trick! I had goo gone and a plastic razorish edge to scrape off. The old glue on it looked bad - very inconsistent and varied thickness. Got an almost new looking rim to work with now. Next time I have to do it don’t plan on taking off.

ultraman6970
06-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Every time you add glue on top, that new glue will soften the glue underneath, helping adherence :D Thats the reason you have to avoid removing the glue, unless you have a rim that is pretty much flat in the tyre bed due to like 30 years of glue standing there, rims that personally I have seen.

You can use fuel or goo-off to soften the glue and then scrape it with a rag, but all depends a lot of the glue used. Since you are new into this, there's like 3 types of glue... What ive done to clean rims was to use like a round steel brush that you can put in a dremel or drill, that will scrape the stuff out quicker.

Gummee
06-03-2018, 04:15 PM
I'll take a wheelset back to bare if I don't know what the PO used on it so I can start over with Mastik 1.

Otherwise, glue sticks better to glue than it does to either AL or carbon

M

Vientomas
06-03-2018, 05:55 PM
What do you use to rinse off the Goo Gone? Does stuff migrate to inside the rim?

When removing the rims from the "tub" i gave then a few good downward shakes, let the rims drain and dry out for a few days then put them in my truing stand and gave them a few good spins. Ultimately, I cleaned the beds with alcohol letting a bit migrate inside the rim and more spinning. Sounds like a lot of work but the beds were a mess of glue. I had to literally cut the tire to get it off the rim. Like you, I was concerned that the Goo Gone would compromise the tape bond. So far, no problems. BTW this was a "winter project" whilst there was snow on the ground and no riding to be had.

Hindmost
06-03-2018, 07:34 PM
"...Sounds like a lot of work..."

Oh yea, I have cleaned my share of rims. I have used paint stripper and always been super careful not to let stuff seep into the rim (and nipples and ferrules.) Because, I don't know, I am just that way. And finish with an acetone wipe down.

zap
06-04-2018, 08:43 AM
edit

As for tape, I used tufo tape once, great stuff but the problem was that I couldnt remove the tubular off the rim :D Idea maybe for the track but for the road nah...

Doubt any track riders would use Tufo tape. Too much rolling resistance.

ultraman6970
06-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Tufo tape rolling resistance?? you dont put the tape around the tubular, you put between the rim and the tubular ;D

Mzilliox
06-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Ive been riding tubulars for over 1 full season now. I have not flatted once on them, which is reason enough to put a little time in up front. the ride is also categorically better across the board. and the wheels are lighter, again, across the board. some people do not have the ability or the desire to notice the differences. I have always noticed small differences in every piece of equipment i use, from fishing rods, to kitchen knives, to saddles, to cars, to shovels, to tillers. sometimes its worth it to make a small sacrifice to live a more fulfilled life. sometimes or for some folks, its better to stick with easy. thats why there is still a choice.

People espouse the virtues of tubeless, and when they talk about the virtues i think to myself "you are describing my experience with tubulars, only minus the compressor, explosions, goop, and poor fit on rims...

Yet i still take tubes or soon, tubeless off road, because just in case, i know how to deal with things.

Mark McM
06-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Ive been riding tubulars for over 1 full season now. I have not flatted once on them, which is reason enough to put a little time in up front.

I typically experience less than one flat per season, so I'm not sure that this would be enough to convince me that tubulars were better.

the ride is also categorically better across the board.

Better in what way? And how can be you be sure how much what you are experiencing is real, and how much is biased expectation?

and the wheels are lighter, again, across the board.

This is usually the case. But except for on the steepest hills, the lighter weight is more than cancelled out by the greater rolling resistance of tubulars.

some people do not have the ability or the desire to notice the differences.

And some convince themselves of differences that aren't really there. It is entirely possible that some really can notice small differences - but until their senses are objectively tested, one can only believe they can feel the differences, but can not know they can feel the differences.

Mark McM
06-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Tufo tape rolling resistance?? you dont put the tape around the tubular, you put between the rim and the tubular ;D

The majority of tire rolling resistance is caused by flexing of the tread and casing. The casing flexes both at the ground contact point, and at the junction between the casing and rim. Glued tape is a high hysteresis material, and the flexing of the casing against the tape add significantly to the tire rolling resistance. The rolling resistance of tires mounted with Tufo tape has been measured, and it is higher than standard tubular glue.

CAAD
06-04-2018, 12:27 PM
don't remove old glue.

don't use tape.

I have been using Carogna tape for a couple years with NO issues.Tire change takes me maybe 20min? Pull/ cut tire off > hit the already clean rim with some acetone to remove any grease I might have put there > apply new tape > mount and inflate.

Glue is for the birds.

zap
06-04-2018, 12:40 PM
edit

IBut except for on the steepest hills, the lighter weight is more than cancelled out by the greater rolling resistance of tubulars.

Based on my experience with 1160g aero carbon tubular wheelset with light tubular tires, one has to stay on top of these light wheels a bit more on the flats.

Mzilliox
06-04-2018, 12:45 PM
I typically experience less than one flat per season, so I'm not sure that this would be enough to convince me that tubulars were better.

Better in what way? And how can be you be sure how much what you are experiencing is real, and how much is biased expectation?

This is usually the case. But except for on the steepest hills, the lighter weight is more than cancelled out by the greater rolling resistance of tubulars.

And some convince themselves of differences that aren't really there. It is entirely possible that some really can notice small differences - but until their senses are objectively tested, one can only believe they can feel the differences, but can not know they can feel the differences.

thats great for you!
Does it matter if the pill works if i think it works? does it matter if the pill works if you think it doesn't? is my perception reality or is reality intrinsic? is your reality different from my reality? does it matter? are both realities real?

OP said he doesn't understand why tubular for his experience, i shared mine.
if i put a different saddle on and feel a difference, is that difference real or manufactured based on my expectation that this saddle is actually different so it must feel different?
if i feel like 36mm tires are more sluggish than 32, and change them out and then feel better, have i fooled myself? does it matter if i think i am riding better?
if i notice on a ride that my cleat position feels off, and it turns out my cleat was in fact further forward than usual, is this not reality? is my perception not real? is it not valid?
are there not humans with levels of sensitivity that are greater than others? perhaps greater than yours? are there people who can feel the pea under the mattress? the answer is obviously yes.

my experience is mine, is it real or made up? does it matter if its mine? such incredible questions. ride clinchers, ill stick to my perceptions that the "work" of a tubular is "worth" it. and if its not, well, i guess im just wasting hellatime with illusions that increase my enjoyment.

chiasticon
06-04-2018, 01:17 PM
eh, use whatever makes you enjoy the ride. don't listen to people who say the way they enjoy the ride is better than the way you do. (unless you've never tried their way, then you have no real opinion on the matter.)

as for the OP: people are split on the subject of glue removal, as you can see. if it's inhibiting your enjoyment of tubulars and you otherwise are enjoying them, might as well give it a shot without. evidence above suggests it likely won't harm wheels, tires, or ride quality. but it may make the whole process easier for you, getting over your primary complaint about tubs. worth trying, IMHO.

this goes the same for tape. many people swear by it, so it could be worth trying. you've already got glue on your wheels though, so might as well work with that for now until you've got an excuse to 100% clean them and try tape.