PDA

View Full Version : Daytime blinky for FRONT?

makoti
06-03-2018, 09:01 AM
My daytime blinky died. A Performance brand failed after one season. Again. Never again.
So looking for what people are using & like. Only need the front/white light for getting attention from drivers turning in front of me. Don't need/want anything that is really a night time light that blinks. Don't need that much light. I have a Sefras rear I'm happy with. I'd get the front version, but I don't like how it mounts on the frame.
Oh, would much prefer a USB rechargeable light.

parris
06-03-2018, 09:12 AM
I have the Bontrager ion 100 r and am very happy with it. It's very compact and has several light modes.

eddief
06-03-2018, 09:17 AM
good price, works fine. I mount it on the my bars. Sometime the length gets in the way and I touch it when my hands are on top.

Given another choice, I'd get the Bontrager.

https://www.blitzugear.com/collections/bike-lights/products/cyborg-168h-usb-rechargeable-headlight

PSJoyce
06-03-2018, 09:21 AM
I've got the Bontrager 100 R front, too and use it all the time. With the Blendr mount, can't even tell it's there.

zennmotion
06-03-2018, 09:23 AM

zennmotion
06-03-2018, 09:30 AM
My daytime blinky died. A Performance brand failed after one season. Again. Never again.
So looking for what people are using & like. Only need the front/white light for getting attention from drivers turning in front of me. Don't need/want anything that is really a night time light that blinks. Don't need that much light. I have a Sefras rear I'm happy with. I'd get the front version, but I don't like how it mounts on the frame.
Oh, would much prefer a USB rechargeable light.

OK, take a deep breath before you look at the price but take a look at the Dinotte amber quad front blinkie. After a series of mid-priced alternatives I finally splurged a couple of years ago when lighting technology really took off with high powered LEDs. For daytime use you need something super bright, and this is the ticket. USB rechargeable, good battery (you can find cheaper chinese lights on Ebay and Ali Baba but I would not trust the cheap Li Ion batteries to not start a fire). It comes with a bag full of different mounting options so it's easy to transfer to other bikes without having to buy anything extra. Amber color is better for being seen than a headlight, and this thing can be seen in bright daylight from very far away, plus it's designed for visibility rather than as a focused headlight (although bright enough as a backup headlight as well) .Expensive, but buy top end and buy just once. Dinotte will service or replace the batteries, good fast factory service. My wife, who worries about me (awwww....) bought it for me when she saw one from her car on a foggy summer day, she chased down the rider (musta scared the crap out of him) to find out what it was, and she checks that it's on my bike before I go out the door (she thinks I'm not looking when she does that) I also have the matching red rear light, equally powerful (maybe too much at full power in the dark but good in daylight). Both small and unobtrusive, the mounts aren't fancy but they're easy and solid, no worries about losing a light, and the lights unclip easily for charging from home or your work computer through a non-proprietary USB cable (old style cell phone mini USB, you can still buy cheap replacements from CVS or Target etc)

http://store.dinottelighting.com/2018-quad-amber-headlight-with-built-in-battery-p196.aspx

Edit: apparently they've upgraded the light to twice as many lumens as the blinder I have from a couple years ago, and updated the cable to micro USB for charging. Price hasn't changed much though. Yay technology!

zennmotion
06-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Don't need/want anything that is really a night time light that blinks. Don't need that much light.

Actually, I think you need MORE light in daylight than night if your objective is to be seen by inattentive drivers. There's being seen (which you don't need a light for at all if they're paying attention right?) And then there is being NOTICED which is a common challenge, especially with competition from complicated dashboards with lots of distractions and cell phones. It's an arms race out there for drivers attention, choose your weapons wisely.

Ozz
06-03-2018, 10:00 AM
I am a big fan of the Light & Motion products. Well designed and easy to mount.

They are a little pricey, but any issue I've had has been met with terrific customer service.

parris
06-03-2018, 10:03 AM
Zen you're 100% correct. One of the things that I've become aware of as a driver is that a blinking light draws my attention faster than a steady light. Also the lights that have a random pattern draw my attention faster than a steady state blink blink blink.

Kirk007
06-03-2018, 10:20 AM
For commuting and city riding, particularly in winter months or weather, I'm with zennmotion. Nothing else touches the Dinotte amber quad. If I'm out riding rural roads and just want to have some visibility for oncoming cars then one of the smaller blinkies sometimes is on my handlebar but I'm not sure its accomplishing much.

rwsaunders
06-03-2018, 10:40 AM
I am a big fan of the Light & Motion products. Well designed and easy to mount.

They are a little pricey, but any issue I've had has been met with terrific customer service.

+1...I've been using a Light & Motion Urban 700 year round in the pulse mode. Holds a charge very well and performs in temps to the mid-20's. They go on sale from time to time.

https://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/urban

Ozz
06-03-2018, 10:55 AM
+1...I've been using a Light & Motion Urban 700 year round in the pulse mode. Holds a charge very well and performs in temps to the mid-20's. They go on sale from time to time.

https://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/urban

I have a Stella 200 and a Seca 900...separate battery packs are a pain...been looking at the Urban models for the USB charging convenience.

Picked up a Vis 180 rear light a month or so ago...really nice.

heartattackride
06-03-2018, 11:08 AM
+1 for Dinotte. I’ve had 3 and they are all excellent.

charliedid
06-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Knog Blinder https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51pLUY9CsGL._SY355_.jpg

I'm sure the Dinotte is a nifty little light but no way I am paying that kind of money for a front blinkey.

wallymann
06-03-2018, 11:38 AM
...you need MORE light in daylight than night ...

this is true. i always test visibility at high noon, the brightest time of the day. all sorts of crappy lighting seem bright in darkness.

i use the knog mini-niner for front/rear visibility. i've tested oodles of discretely-sized units, and these are the best if found (yet) in this category for *daytime* visibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YtpBqq_ps

makoti
06-03-2018, 11:48 AM
OK, take a deep breath before you look at the price but take a look at the Dinotte amber quad front blinkie.

Thanks for the warning. ;) I've always been in the "Quality costs" camp, so maybe...

I have the Bontrager ion 100 r and am very happy with it. It's very compact and has several light modes.

I'd been looking at this one. Easy enough to swap between bikes?

Anybody use the Lezyne? https://www.lezyne.com/product-led-sport-zectofrnt.php

And you guys are probably right about needing more light during the day. I should have said I didn't want something as large as I would likely get for night riding. I have a L&M that does well, but it's too big for my tastes for daytime running.

C40_guy
06-03-2018, 11:58 AM
I was a fan of the Blackburn Flea 2.0...but they were discontinued. Blackburn sent me a couple of Click USB lights to replace faulty Fleas. They are pretty bright, small, and inexpensive. Great for daytime use.

Seramount
06-03-2018, 11:59 AM
really like my Cygolite Hotrod 110...

https://cygolite.com/product/hotrod-front-110-usb/

rccardr
06-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Recently switched from a Knog multi-LED powered by a pair of 2032's to a Kasai rechargeable. Brighter than the Knog, but you have to remember to charge it.

merckx
06-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Knog Blinder https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51pLUY9CsGL._SY355_.jpg

I'm sure the Dinotte is a nifty little light but no way I am paying that kind of money for a front blinkey.

I use this light and it has been stellar. I have heard of problems with them, but two years of constant use without a bother.

Hakkalugi
06-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Bontrager Ion or even Ion 350 for sure. I also have an Ion 800 so I can signal our alien overlords. Yes, you need more light in the day than at night to increase the contrast. I have owned dozens of lights over the years and have settled on the Bontrager products as being my favorites.

Reviews and commentary about DRLs here: https://mamilmusings.com/daytime-running-lights-for-cyclists

parris
06-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Mak it's very easy to swap from bike to bike. Also the light comes off the mount easy enough for charging.

p nut
06-03-2018, 12:49 PM
I see WAY too many cyclists out with cute, minimalist front lights....that do absolutely nothing. I saw some guy out over the weekend with something like that Knog light. I could hardly tell it was on. I had one of those tiny lights years ago, thinking that was all I needed. Until I saw someone else with a similar light riding around. Might as well just take it off and save the few grams of weight.

I have since switched all of my bikes to proper lights. I currently use a Lezyne that seems to be performing well. Lasts a long time. Pretty bright. Not tiny and sleek looking, but I feel much better on the road with it. You guys should test your lights out in full daylight. Turn it on and stand back a ways to see if it's working like you think it is. You may be surprised.

https://www.lezyne.com/product-led-sport-micro500xl.php

Ozz
06-03-2018, 01:00 PM
... Turn it on and stand back a ways to see if it's working like you think it is. You may be surprised.
[/url]

you should also view from different angles. Some are very bright from head-on, but off to the side they dim significantly.

m_sasso
06-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Using the Light and Motion Vibe Pro tail light, very handy function and features not seen in most other lights, bright and great battery life.

Have a look at their front light, some unique capabilities, forget the buttons: https://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/vibe/vibe-pro-hl

And the entire family can be found here: https://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/vibe

Youtube review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xmCgKN6exQ

Veloo
06-03-2018, 01:45 PM
I got the Lezyne KTV Drive Front light from PBK for under $10 CAD.
Has a long battery life and is just a "hey I'm here" kind of brightness.
I like it cuz I can wrap it around the head tube as I'm out of space on the bars.

Looks like they no longer stock it though.

https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-accessories/lezyne-ktv-drive-front/10988433.html

SlackMan
06-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Actually, I think you need MORE light in daylight than night if your objective is to be seen by inattentive drivers. There's being seen (which you don't need a light for at all if they're paying attention right?) And then there is being NOTICED which is a common challenge, especially with competition from complicated dashboards with lots of distractions and cell phones. It's an arms race out there for drivers attention, choose your weapons wisely.

Zenn is exactly right. I bought a Cygolite 850 (850 lumens in flash mode) for daytime use, and the rate of drivers who don't see me has dropped almost to 0%. And, I've never heard complaints from drivers. I'm a huge fan of the Dinotte red quad for the rear, but wanted something much brighter up front for daytime use (the Dinotte is 150 lumens vs 850 lumens for my Cygolite).

zennmotion
06-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Zenn is exactly right. I bought a Cygolite 850 (850 lumens in flash mode) for daytime use, and the rate of drivers who don't see me has dropped almost to 0%. And, I've never heard complaints from drivers. I'm a huge fan of the Dinotte red quad for the rear, but wanted something much brighter up front for daytime use (the Dinotte is 150 lumens vs 850 lumens for my Cygolite).

I have one of those also that I use as a headlight, great light and very bright. I didn't realize that the lumen output was so much higher. I think part of what seems to work so well with the Dinotte is the amber color which is a contrasting color that shows well on gloomy days as well as in sunshine and dappled light. Expensive though!

zennmotion
06-03-2018, 03:51 PM
by the way, I still use a couple of my older lights, I keep them in the car in case of a night time breakdown in traffic to be used like emergency flares.

Likes2ridefar
06-03-2018, 03:56 PM
I use a light and motion vibe pro headlight and really like it. It turns on automatically when it senses motion and is super easy to charge requiring no cable.

charliedid
06-03-2018, 04:03 PM
I see WAY too many cyclists out with cute, minimalist front lights....that do absolutely nothing. I saw some guy out over the weekend with something like that Knog light. I could hardly tell it was on. I had one of those tiny lights years ago, thinking that was all I needed. Until I saw someone else with a similar light riding around. Might as well just take it off and save the few grams of weight.

I have since switched all of my bikes to proper lights. I currently use a Lezyne that seems to be performing well. Lasts a long time. Pretty bright. Not tiny and sleek looking, but I feel much better on the road with it. You guys should test your lights out in full daylight. Turn it on and stand back a ways to see if it's working like you think it is. You may be surprised.

https://www.lezyne.com/product-led-sport-micro500xl.php

Try the Knog at a LBS and report back. You might be shocked how good it is.

charliedid
06-03-2018, 04:04 PM
I use this light and it has been stellar. I have heard of problems with them, but two years of constant use without a bother.

One of the problems they has was the original neoprene straps breaking. Now silicone and much better. Love it. Also no cord, just plug it in...

moobikes
06-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Get a proper commuting light with 800 lumens or more. These days every brand has something pretty good. I use Cygolite myself, very reliable.

With dirty windscreens, sun in odd angles and shade from trees/ buildings and distractions from multiple sources, drivers need all the help they can get to avoid hitting you.

p nut
06-03-2018, 09:15 PM
Try the Knog at a LBS and report back. You might be shocked how good it is.

I will try it out if I get an opportunity. But the Lezyne works brilliantly and last a long time so probably not going to switch anytime soon. Plus, I use the light for early pre-dawn rides so I need the brightness the bigger lights provide.

C40_guy
06-03-2018, 09:26 PM
by the way, I still use a couple of my older lights, I keep them in the car in case of a night time breakdown in traffic to be used like emergency flares.

I mounted an old bike headlight on my snow blower!

charliedid
06-03-2018, 09:36 PM
I will try it out if I get an opportunity. But the Lezyne works brilliantly and last a long time so probably not going to switch anytime soon. Plus, I use the light for early pre-dawn rides so I need the brightness the bigger lights provide.

Yep me too.

I often use it in conjunction with a L&M light but always throw it on for straight up day time road rides.

Great little lights.

konaman
06-03-2018, 09:44 PM
I use Busch and Mueller Luxos lights, powered by a dynamo hub wheel. Love it.

purpurite
06-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Anybody use the Lezyne? https://www.lezyne.com/product-led-sport-zectofrnt.php

I use the front and red rear Lezyne USBs and I really like them. Easy to charge, easy to mount, and I have never had an issue with them at all. Nice bright LEDs, too.

Two thumbs up from me on the Lezyne Zectos.

You can pretty much mount them anywhere you like on the bars...
http://www.apexspeed.com/doug/random/bikes/serotta/fierte_fx54_102.jpg

Marc40a
06-03-2018, 09:59 PM
I mounted an old bike headlight on my snow blower!

That’s a great idea!

chiasticon
06-04-2018, 09:24 AM
I've got the Exposure Trace and TraceR on my bike for daytime riding. the "throbbing" pattern seems to be noticeable enough but not harsh. I've ridden with the TraceR (rear light) for a couple years and just started using the Trace (front) this year. since then, I've had a few drivers go out of their way to comment how noticeable it was and to thank me for using it. so... seems bright enough to me, at 110 lumens.

one great thing about the Trace is that you can find gopro mounts for them and just mount it under your computer. don't even know it's there most of the time.

ptourkin
06-04-2018, 09:40 AM
I've got the Exposure Trace and TraceR on my bike for daytime riding. the "throbbing" pattern seems to be noticeable enough but not harsh. I've ridden with the TraceR (rear light) for a couple years and just started using the Trace (front) this year. since then, I've had a few drivers go out of their way to comment how noticeable it was and to thank me for using it. so... seems bright enough to me, at 110 lumens.

one great thing about the Trace is that you can find gopro mounts for them and just mount it under your computer. don't even know it's there most of the time.

Slightly OT but I'm really interested in the Exposure stuff, especially for an endurance MTB attempt next year, but it's soooo pricey. Is it really that good? I've paid for Dinotte and expensive German dyno stuff, so I'm not opposed in principle.

chiasticon
06-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Slightly OT but I'm really interested in the Exposure stuff, especially for an endurance MTB attempt next year, but it's soooo pricey. Is it really that good? I've paid for Dinotte and expensive German dyno stuff, so I'm not opposed in principle.I've never had the high end lights so I can't really say anything about that. only these two blinkies. they've been very solid for me though, no issues. these two aren't really any more pricey than comparable light and motion lights. but yeah the super bright front lights are pretty nuts. I'd imagine they're worth the money but I wouldn't even consider 'em without a 20% off coupon or something.

stackie
06-04-2018, 10:24 AM
I have exposure Trace and TraceR. But also have an early Joystick and Diablo lights that I use as helmet lights. They seem solidly built and have had no issues. I will say you can’t get a two hour ride out of a diablo at full power of about 900 lens for mine ( like I said it’s old). But at mid power which is 650 I get over three hours. I flick to fill power for the big descent, but otherwise 650 good. I wish I had the TAP model that you change power by tapping the light. But, alas, that came out after my purchase.

Great lights

Jon

makoti
06-04-2018, 10:27 AM
I just picked up a Bontrager Ion R. It was reasonable & my LBS had it while I was in getting other stuff. I realized looking at everything that swapping between bikes was important, too. Good suggestions all. Thanks. If it fails, I know what I'll try next. Saving pennies now...

Marc40a
06-04-2018, 02:01 PM
OK, take a deep breath before you look at the price but take a look at the Dinotte amber quad front blinkie. After a series of mid-priced alternatives I finally splurged a couple of years ago when lighting technology really took off with high powered LEDs. For daytime use you need something super bright, and this is the ticket. USB rechargeable, good battery (you can find cheaper chinese lights on Ebay and Ali Baba but I would not trust the cheap Li Ion batteries to not start a fire). It comes with a bag full of different mounting options so it's easy to transfer to other bikes without having to buy anything extra. Amber color is better for being seen than a headlight, and this thing can be seen in bright daylight from very far away, plus it's designed for visibility rather than as a focused headlight (although bright enough as a backup headlight as well) .Expensive, but buy top end and buy just once. Dinotte will service or replace the batteries, good fast factory service. My wife, who worries about me (awwww....) bought it for me when she saw one from her car on a foggy summer day, she chased down the rider (musta scared the crap out of him) to find out what it was, and she checks that it's on my bike before I go out the door (she thinks I'm not looking when she does that) I also have the matching red rear light, equally powerful (maybe too much at full power in the dark but good in daylight). Both small and unobtrusive, the mounts aren't fancy but they're easy and solid, no worries about losing a light, and the lights unclip easily for charging from home or your work computer through a non-proprietary USB cable (old style cell phone mini USB, you can still buy cheap replacements from CVS or Target etc)

http://store.dinottelighting.com/2018-quad-amber-headlight-with-built-in-battery-p196.aspx

Edit: apparently they've upgraded the light to twice as many lumens as the blinder I have from a couple years ago, and updated the cable to micro USB for charging. Price hasn't changed much though. Yay technology!

I really want to like this light, but 150 lumens??? How can it be better than my white led Cygolite?

jumphigher
06-04-2018, 03:19 PM
I never ride without my red rear blinkie, I do believe it works well to make drivers more cautious, but I only use my front blinkie if I know I'll be coming back in the dark. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should start using my front one all the time..?

SpeedyChix
06-04-2018, 05:34 PM
https://vimeo.com/273409210

Short video clip of the new Dinotte headlamp.

Used the Lezyne units before but the Dinotte front and rear are impressive.
The cost of being hit vs the light expense?

pobrien
06-04-2018, 05:36 PM
I am thinking the same about running an amber front light now. I was almost hit twice in daylight conditions near UBC (two lane roads with a lot of trees lining the roads).

I wear yellow or white jerseys for visibility but it does not appear to get the attention of drivers. They were both looking at traffic but perhaps not used to bicycles in the mix.

I have Dinottie lights and they are really high quality and bright. I expect I should run the front amber to be safe as well.

SoCal Al
06-04-2018, 06:20 PM
Knog Blinder Mini Dot, looks like a "button". It's low profile, USB rechargeable, easily mounts to the bar. I have a red & white one plus a got the Knog Blinder Mob V The Face (I know, stupid names) and that's the one I mount to my seat post. I use the smaller Knog on the rear of my helmet.

makoti
06-04-2018, 06:36 PM
I never ride without my red rear blinkie, I do believe it works well to make drivers more cautious, but I only use my front blinkie if I know I'll be coming back in the dark. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should start using my front one all the time..?

I notice I get fewer people jumping out in front of me at intersections with the front blinky going.

Macadamia
06-04-2018, 08:06 PM
use a fly12 camera/light combo, had a guy complain to me once about how bright it was on blinking mode, so mission accomplished I guess

downsides are the weight, and battery life, I've had it last for 6 hour rides, but only if it was fully charged

Marc40a
06-04-2018, 08:26 PM
I am thinking the same about running an amber front light now. I was almost hit twice in daylight conditions near UBC (two lane roads with a lot of trees lining the roads).

I wear yellow or white jerseys for visibility but it does not appear to get the attention of drivers. They were both looking at traffic but perhaps not used to bicycles in the mix.

I have Dinottie lights and they are really high quality and bright. I expect I should run the front amber to be safe as well.

I’ve gravitated towards wearing colors that I like now like blues or even grays, now that I run daytime lights. Though, if I were in a deep urban environment or multi lane situation, I might even rethink that strategy.

My morning commute is fine even without lights but the commute home is an all-out battle zone - dangerous traffic spots, aggressive drivers, trees, hedges etc.

Daytime lights have been a game changer for me, particularly the front light.

chiasticon
06-05-2018, 07:54 AM
I just picked up a Bontrager Ion R.I see a few people mentioning they like the Bontrager lights. I had a friend mention that the mode switching on it was too sensitive and it would turn off on its own all the time. anyone had any issues with that? not sure which rear blinkie he was referring to, but it was a recent one. they look nice to me, so I was surprised.

oldpotatoe
06-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Haven't looked thru all 53 posts(what?) but this works great. Have the rear.

https://www.blackburndesign.com/lights/click-usb-front-light.html