PDA

View Full Version : Chain length

Chief
06-02-2018, 06:35 PM
I'm switching from a 9 spd 11-21 cassette to a 11-23 cassette. Stupid question: How much longer do I need to increase my chain length?

TBLS
06-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Unless current chain is causing rear derailleur to max out now, probably none.

Try the larger cassette with existing chain to check shifting/length and I would bet it works. I go from 23 to 25 cassettes all the time

If not, probably a link or two but plenty of methods posted on the web for determining chain length

ultraman6970
06-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Probably none. Try it with the chain as it is 1st.

Obviously if you use the 53x23... well... no comments about that and probably you will need more chain, but with the small chainring I doubt you will need more chain.

Kontact
06-02-2018, 08:07 PM
The difference between a 21 and 23 is half a link.

thwart
06-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Kind of awesome to see one of our older Paceliners dealing with advancing age (as many of us have), and moving to a larger cassette...

11-23.

:banana:

Chief
06-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Kind of awesome to see one of our older Paceliners dealing with advancing age (as many of us have), and moving to a larger cassette...

11-23.

Moving to a larger 11-23 cassette only because 11-21 is not generally available and not because of advancing age. 😁

zennmotion
06-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Oh hell, that's plenty low enough for me, I don't even need that much on the low end! You're talking chainrings, right?

Oh, and don't do anything to your chain. If it was fine before it's fine now. I'm currently in the market for something like a 3 inch B screw....:banana:

Avispa
06-03-2018, 10:04 AM
I have been told by several pro mechanics that if you put your gears in the big ring in front and in the middle of the cassette, the rear derailleur pulley bolts should be perpendicular to the ground as much as possible.

This is a good indication of good chain length for any derailleur or chain ring/pulley combination...

Of course you could follow the instructions of the manufacturers to the T, but most likely you will end up with a similar position on your rear derailleur...

Kontact
06-03-2018, 11:13 AM
I have been told by several pro mechanics that if you put your gears in the big ring in front and in the middle of the cassette, the rear derailleur pulley bolts should be perpendicular to the ground as much as possible.

This is a good indication of good chain length for any derailleur or chain ring/pulley combination...

Of course you could follow the instructions of the manufacturers to the T, but most likely you will end up with a similar position on your rear derailleur...

That's a strange technique. The old Shimano is the same, except in the highest gear, not middle of the cassette.

Avispa
06-03-2018, 12:52 PM
That's a strange technique. The old Shimano is the same, except in the highest gear, not middle of the cassette.

Yes, I am aware of that... But this technique has worked well for me many times over using all types of derailleurs and gear types on Campy. In any case, just search YouTube so you can see how many theories there are about installing chains. Also, Chief forgot to tell us what brand chain he is using! :no:

dddd
06-03-2018, 12:54 PM
I don't normally even use Shimano's technique, which is valid only with cassette sizes that the derailer is made for.

The Shimano method does insure that one can later change to the largest rated cassette without having to adjust chain length, so there's that.

Using the largest front and rear sprockets, the chain should be sized at full-tight plus 2-4 links, which will depend on the particular combination of the sizes of the largest front and rear sprockets and the chainstay length.

Adding two teeth to any sprocket only wraps one additional chain link, but links can only be added or removed in pairs (inner and outer). So one link is what I believe Kontact referred to as a "half a link".
I defer on the semantics of the matter to the chain length printed on the box, 116 links thus being 58 pairs of links, so I don't refer to half-links.
Here is a Half Link (not applicable to derailer bicycles):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/192456829049

Joxster
06-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Adult Gears :):):) With a 54/42 upfront

gasman
06-03-2018, 01:13 PM

11-23.

He's actually just changed from his 11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11 Jens Voigt cassette :eek::banana:

Kontact
06-03-2018, 01:17 PM
Yes, I am aware of that... Just search YouTube so you can see how many theories there are about installing chains. In any case, Chief forgot to tell us what brand chain he is using! :no:

There are many formulas, and most will make the chain length about the same. The one you mentioned would definitely make the chain longer.

The brand of chain doesn't matter. :no: Different chains come with instructions that reflect the system that they are branded with.

Kontact
06-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Adding two teeth to any sprocket only wraps one additional chain link, but links can only be added or removed in pairs (inner and outer). So one link is what I believe Kontact referred to as a "half a link".
I defer on the semantics of the matter to the chain length printed on the box, 116 links thus being 58 pairs of links, so I don't refer to half-links.
Here is a Half Link (not applicable to derailer bicycles):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/192456829049

"Half a link" as in "It isn't even a full pair of links, so you don't need to do anything with your chain."

ultraman6970
06-03-2018, 03:44 PM
LOL... true! :P

Miss those days :D

Adult Gears :):):) With a 54/42 upfront

Joxster
06-04-2018, 01:34 PM
LOL... true! :P

Miss those days :D

Still run an 11-23 but I've gone down to a 39 inner ring because I can't be assosed to get my hands dirty. The same reason that I haven't put a 25 on my winter bike.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2018, 03:27 PM
I'm switching from a 9 spd 11-21 cassette to a 11-23 cassette. Stupid question: How much longer do I need to increase my chain length?

None if the chain was proper length now...measure at small-small.