PDA

View Full Version : The excitment of a new bike purchase

Smiley
10-21-2006, 08:54 AM
I am one lucky guy. Not only do I get to buy my own bikes for myself and my wife and get to dream about what these wonderful Serotta's will ride like, I also get to share my clients dreams of their new bike experiances. I have two really good guys that are expecting new frames, one a Randoneur that has a virtual 64 cm CDA in a Rapid Tour geometry that just shipped from Serotta, and another Nove client that is expecting in November. I am getting currenty worked up about my wife Karen's new bike project. I am just waiting to get some feed back on reports of the new SRAM stuff that I plan on building her bike up with. I am also working on her to convince her to go with a Serotta ATTACK frame. Yes is a tad more $$ then I wanted to spend but what the heck is money for anyway. So if your reading this thread try to add your two cents and convince my wife that the ATTACK frame is the way to go, as she really fell in love with my Uniscasi in a Rapid Tour geometry ( That won't happen ). The other option she really wants is a CDA in a racers configuration.

Serotta ATTACK frame, what say you all.

93legendti
10-21-2006, 08:58 AM
I am one lucky guy. Not only do I get to buy my own bikes for myself and my wife and get to dream about what these wonderful Serotta's will ride like, I also get to share my clients dreams of their new bike experiances. I have two really good guys that are expecting new frames, one a Randoneur that has a virtual 64 cm CDA in a Rapid Tour geometry that just shipped from Serotta, and another Nove client that is expecting in November. I am getting currenty worked up about my wife Karen's new bike project. I am just waiting to get some feed back on reports of the new SRAM stuff that I plan on building her bike up with. I am also working on her to convince her to go with a Serotta ATTACK frame. Yes is a tad more $$ then I wanted to spend but what the heck is money for anyway. So if your reading this thread try to add your two cents and convince my wife that the ATTACK frame is the way to go, as she really fell in love with my Uniscasi in a Rapid Tour geometry ( That won't happen ). The other option she really wants is a CDA in a racers configuration.

Serotta ATTACK frame, what say you all.
Very cool. Can you please tell me more about the Randoneur? I a contemplating a Swiss Army knofe bike: a Ti Uniscasi Rapid Tour, probably with cantis and a slight slope for packing ease--so I am always curious about others' choices...

Smiley
10-21-2006, 09:22 AM
I'll post a picture as that is worth 1000 words 93 Ti man , he's got every gizmo that you can attach to a bike, lights , GPS , etc . These guys go out and get it done self supported. They are a bit crazy , your not :)

93legendti
10-21-2006, 09:25 AM
I'll post a picture as that is worth 1000 words 93 Ti man , he's got every gizmo that you can attach to a bike, lights , GPS , etc . These guys go out and get it done self supported. They are a bit crazy , your not :)

Actually, most people think I am more than a bit crazy...:)

RABikes2
10-21-2006, 11:26 AM
And your point is, Smiley? :p :p I seem to have some err... gizmo's on mine, except no GPS yet. We've weighed my Legend at the shop when it's been loaded for randonneuring, w/ unfilled H2o bottles, and she weighs in at 29 lbs. I plan on shedding a few pounds off it for next season. PBP doesn't allow aero bars and I'm going to a lighter (weight) and easier lighting system.
Look forward to seeing your friends bike!
RA
I'm "duh-huh" on the "ATTACK or Rapid Tour" frames. :confused:

catulle
10-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Dear Mrs. Smiley,

I respectfully suggest that you listen to your husband. At least this one time. I know, I know, he's mostly wrong about everything but he can't be all that bad if he married you. And he really cares about you; he isn't dumb, he knows that with you he won the jackpot and he wants to do it right this time. Well, he better, anyway.

So, listen to him and go for the Attack. You'll be happy, and he will be delighted. Of course you understand that when a man gives his wife a bike, he can't avoid projecting his own desires. So humor him, he knows his stuff, go for the Attack.

Anyway, whatever you do, I most certainly hope you enjoy it in good health. But you'll enjoy it more if it's an Attack, atmo.

Best regards,

Catulle

(Ok, Smiley, I'll let you know later where to send the check)

Serotta PETE
10-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Karen get the CDA = = = why would Mr Smiley want something for you that is not steel??? (There, does that help you Mr. Smiley??

I like the CDA with an F3 fork in either race or CRT geo and a nice paint job. (something that complements Smiley's)

Good negotiating......PETE

Climb01742
10-21-2006, 04:31 PM
dear mrs smiley,
mr smiley knows his stuff.
he wouldn't lead you astray.
attack mr smiley, if you know what i mean.
yours truly,
climb

obtuse
10-21-2006, 06:46 PM
some how this whole thing reminds me of the guy who buys his wife a radial arm saw for christmas, or the guy who has to console a sobbing, screaming and swearing wife when the long oblong christmas gift isn't a brand new vacuum cleaner but an over/under 24gauge shotgun instead.

who knew the wife was so domestic? i didn't even think we needed a vacuum cleaner. plus i thought she had fun at the skeet range. at lease i wasn't the guy who bought his wife the radial arm saw....i only share half his genes.

obtuse

Sandy
10-21-2006, 07:12 PM
You are trying to "convince her to go with a Serotta Attack frame." To me, that is a mistake. She has had positive experiences with metal frames, and presently owns a Legend Ti. The ATTACK is a new carbon Serotta creation of which there have been no ride reviews. SHE HAS CLEARY STATED THAT SHE DOESN'T WANT IT. If she gets one, and doesn't like it, she will certainly regret the decision to purchase one. You will also regret that decision. Even if she does like it, she might always have in her mind, that she would like the CDA, in some configuration, even better. Hence, she and you will definitely regret an ATTACK purchase, if she doesn't like it, and she might even regret said purchse, if she likes it somewhat.

As the bike is for Mrs. Smiley, and not Mr. Smiley, Mrs. Smiley should do the decision making. A MUCH better approach would be to try to make it possible for Mrs. Smiley to test ride an ATTACK. Then she could decide herself. To purchse an ATTACK without a test ride, for someone who presently does not want one, is a mistake, in my humble opinion.

I would NOT try to convince her to purchase an ATTACK. Try to convince her, if you wish, for her to test ride one. If she doesn't want to do such, then purchase the CDA for her.

Please don't ATTACK me for my opinions! :) :)

Serotta Somebody

Ginger
10-21-2006, 07:40 PM
who knew the wife was so domestic? i didn't even think we needed a vacuum cleaner. plus i thought she had fun at the skeet range. at lease i wasn't the guy who bought his wife the radial arm saw....i only share half his genes.

obtuse

Oh I don't know...a shotgun could come in handy when you become severely disappointed in your spouse's choice of gift. You didn't perchance wrap up any ammo with it did you? No?
Wise choice.

Mrs. Smiley:
Mr. Smiley works hard and can afford these small gifts. Get both the ATTACK frame *and* the racer CDA. This way, you'll make Mr. Smiley happy that you went with his suggestion AND you get the bike you wanted to begin with. Like he said; what's money for anyhow? Now, when Mr. Smiley balks at purchasing *two* bikes, tell him that you're disappointed, but you guess that if he can't do that, the Unicasi with couplers would be a good consolation bike. :D
Helpfully,
Ginger

Sandy
10-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh I don't know...a shotgun could come in handy when you become severely disappointed in your spouse's choice of gift. You didn't perchance wrap up any ammo with it did you? No?
Wise choice.

Mrs. Smiley:
Mr. Smiley works hard and can afford these small gifts. Get both the ATTACK frame *and* the racer CDA. This way, you'll make Mr. Smiley happy that you went with his suggestion AND you get the bike you wanted to begin with. Like he said; what's money for anyhow? Now, when Mr. Smiley balks at purchasing *two* bikes, tell him that you're disappointed, but you guess that if he can't do that, the Unicasi with couplers would be a good consolation bike. :D
Helpfully,
Ginger

No wonder men don't live as long as women! :rolleyes:

Sandy

Ginger
10-21-2006, 08:52 PM
No wonder men don't live as long as women! :rolleyes:

Nah...that's a "no wonder she's single...saying stuff like that." Of course...I don't need a vacuum cleaner. Floors around here are hardwood so I don't have to do that. :)

Kevan
10-21-2006, 09:16 PM
typically, there's no happiness in a cold husband.

My wife is impossible to buy for. That's why I would never buy her a gun, though she does have it out for one certain mockingbird that likes to perch itself just outside our bedroom window and in the early morning sings its little heart out. I can imagine my wife, stirring to his song, reaching for her gun nearby, loaded, and without lifting her head from her pillow, prop the end of the barrel between her toes on the windowsill, and knocking the beak off the lil' fellar. I can't let that happen.

Few people thumb there noses at a cf bike. That's why everyone (or nearly so) is making them. And while plastic milk containers are all alike, plastic bikes ain't. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Sandy
10-22-2006, 06:52 AM
So how do I get your wife to think that you are a mockingbird? :)

Sparrow Sandy

Kevan
10-22-2006, 07:23 AM
So how do I get your wife to think that you are a mockingbird? :) Sparrow Sandy

there's an instruction book available on this topic.

dbrk
10-22-2006, 07:23 AM
I say this 'cause I've made every mistake in the book regarding wifes, presents, and younameit: Never, ever, ever get the wife a present that she said she didn't want, even if it's a better idea and you know that in your heart of hearts. Whadd'ar'you nuts? (Say that first bit like it's all one word.) There is, of course, a famous Simpson's episode about Homer buying Marge a bowling ball with "Homer" engraved on it, the equivalent of obtuse's old saw and a stark cultural reminder that we men are indeed as stupid as we look. (note bene, speaking only for myself).

Building a completely outfitted "touring" bike is not nearly as easy as it may first look...'cause it's a lot more than getting a frame and putting on the bits. Have a look at a Toei, Singer, or Mariposa to get the gestalt. There are others too. Conceive this as a Whole and, lemme say again, this is not so simple as it appears but rather only appears simple when it is done well! Of course, we can reduce this discussion to pure "if it rides right then that's all that really counts" but I never think that function needs to sublate aesthetics.

Bike fit is not the same as bike design, imhoatmoyoclko. I'm sure you'll make her happy 'cause that's the whole point...Oh, and good luck, 'cause every man needs that in the wifey issues, even the happiest.

dbrk

dekindy
10-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Be glad that she likes to ride and you have such a great thing to do together.

Listen to Sandy. Let your wife pick her bike and not be so controlling.

djg
10-22-2006, 08:52 AM
I think that DBRK is right about this ... I'd just add that the thing you want especially to avoid is the over-the-top present she doesn't want--the bike she says she really doesn't want plus obtuse's little shotgun (which would still really hurt) all on that one special day.

Serotta PETE
10-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Nah...that's a "no wonder she's single...saying stuff like that." Of course...I don't need a vacuum cleaner. Floors around here are hardwood so I don't have to do that. :)

Spokes, has a bike that you can borrow when you come to Raleigh...WHEN are you coming?????? :beer:

Serotta PETE
10-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Douglas is right..I have many painful memories and some bikes that have ZERO miles and years of dust on them that were presents that were not wanted..................(no the bikes were not my size)

I say this 'cause I've made every mistake in the book regarding wifes, presents, and younameit: Never, ever, ever get the wife a present that she said she didn't want, even if it's a better idea and you know that in your heart of hearts. Whadd'ar'you nuts? (Say that first bit like it's all one word.) There is, of course, a famous Simpson's episode about Homer buying Marge a bowling ball with "Homer" engraved on it, the equivalent of obtuse's old saw and a stark cultural reminder that we men are indeed as stupid as we look. (note bene, speaking only for myself).

Building a completely outfitted "touring" bike is not nearly as easy as it may first look...'cause it's a lot more than getting a frame and putting on the bits. Have a look at a Toei, Singer, or Mariposa to get the gestalt. There are others too. Conceive this as a Whole and, lemme say again, this is not so simple as it appears but rather only appears simple when it is done well! Of course, we can reduce this discussion to pure "if it rides right then that's all that really counts" but I never think that function needs to sublate aesthetics.

Bike fit is not the same as bike design, imhoatmoyoclko. I'm sure you'll make her happy 'cause that's the whole point...Oh, and good luck, 'cause every man needs that in the wifey issues, even the happiest.

dbrk

zap
10-22-2006, 02:12 PM
:) , style baby. Skip road SRAM.

Campy style.

As to the frame, how about a 650c Parlee.

Smiley
10-22-2006, 04:20 PM
:) , style baby. Skip road SRAM.

Campy style.

As to the frame, how about a 650c Parlee.
Are you crazy Zap , u know I am in the tank for Uncle Ben :banana:

zap
10-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Are you crazy Zap , u know I am in the tank for Uncle Ben :banana:

I know.

Thats why there are more Serotta's than Treks around here.

Rapid Tourist
10-22-2006, 05:39 PM
I agree there's nothing quite like the excitement of planning to build up and design a new bike.

So tell us , Smiley or Mrs. Smiley, what is Mrs. Smiley looking for? What does she want out of this bike? What does she like or not like about her current rides (the steel surly and her legend ti)? Tell us a little more about what she's going to do with the bike??

Smiley
10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Tourista , were doing Vermont next year again with you but on Singles this time. So you know the drill , Fat tires and room for carrying stuff. Sounds like a steel Rapid Tour to me. Oh yeah she said I can have the ATTACK and she'll be quite happy with a steel bike. She's still mad at me for selling her CSI. She wants to feel the snap of steel and loved the ride of that bike. So were going with a new CDA in Rapid Tour set up with a slightly sloping TT and Yes I will build it with SRAM Rival grouppo with their compac double since she has smallish hands. F3 fork and were going to be a happy family. Next up is an ATTACK built for me strictly built for weight savings , NO BROOKS saddle on this puppy , maybe I borrow a carbon shell saddle from Zapper and see how long I can ride with all plastic under my butt :)

Oh she will ride this bike at Open House 2007 in Saratoga Springs , have you made your plans yet :banana:

catulle
10-22-2006, 06:42 PM
some how this whole thing reminds me of the guy who buys his wife a radial arm saw for christmas, or the guy who has to console a sobbing, screaming and swearing wife when the long oblong christmas gift isn't a brand new vacuum cleaner but an over/under 24gauge shotgun instead.

obtuse

24 gauge...? :eek: Is that a new skeet gauge from Belgium...? Or is it the latest pipe-gun in the Boston ghetto...? I think Obtuse knows his Columbus better than his Perazzi, atmo. :D

obtuse
10-22-2006, 07:37 PM
24 gauge...? :eek: Is that a new skeet gauge from Belgium...? Or is it the latest pipe-gun in the Boston ghetto...? I think Obtuse knows his Columbus better than his Perazzi, atmo. :D

nope old weird gauge that sort of never caught on and is actually illegal to hunt with in most states on paper...but i digress.

it was (is because we still've got it.) a neuman over/under 24 gauge. got it for 300 hundred bucks and the ammo is still availble from ballistic and sometimes you can find it super cheap elsewhere. the thing was made in the early fifties and it beats the shi'ite out of a .510 or a 28g. great woods gun, fine skeet gun and a good girls' gun imho bro.

obtuse

catulle
10-22-2006, 07:56 PM
nope old weird gauge that sort of never caught on and is actually illegal to hunt with in most states on paper...but i digress.

it was (is because we still've got it.) a neuman over/under 24 gauge. got it for 300 hundred bucks and the ammo is still availble from ballistic and sometimes you can find it super cheap elsewhere. the thing was made in the early fifties and it beats the shi'ite out of a .510 or a 28g. great woods gun, fine skeet gun and a good girls' gun imho bro.

obtuse

I hate smart people. Is that an English gun...? The Neuman, I mean. A Merkel, below. Ooops, sorry, I think I'm hijacking the thread.

obtuse
10-22-2006, 08:00 PM
I hate smart people. Is that an English gun...? The Neuman, I mean. A Merkel, below. Ooops, sorry, I think I'm hijacking the thread.

nope. neuman freres....belgian i think. probably from liege like everything else in belgium that has moving parts.

obtuse

catulle
10-22-2006, 08:21 PM
nope. neuman freres....belgian i think. probably from liege like everything else in belgium that has moving parts.

obtuse

No more hijacking, I promise.

BumbleBeeDave
10-22-2006, 08:46 PM
And your point is, Smiley? :p :p I seem to have some err... gizmo's on mine, except no GPS yet. We've weighed my Legend at the shop when it's been loaded for randonneuring, w/ unfilled H2o bottles, and she weighs in at 29 lbs. I plan on shedding a few pounds off it for next season. PBP doesn't allow aero bars and I'm going to a lighter (weight) and easier lighting system.
Look forward to seeing your friends bike!
RA
I'm "duh-huh" on the "ATTACK or Rapid Tour" frames. :confused:

RA, you're doing Paris-Brest-Paris? You SHE-BEAST! :eek:

Are you gonna be wearing that black gown? . . . :D

BBD

Serotta PETE
10-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Smiley, SPOKES said that you could get him an "Attack" and he would demo and let you use it........

ALSO, please count me in for the Vermont tour next year......THANKS

Tourista , were doing Vermont next year again with you but on Singles this time. So you know the drill , Fat tires and room for carrying stuff. Sounds like a steel Rapid Tour to me. Oh yeah she said I can have the ATTACK and she'll be quite happy with a steel bike. She's still mad at me for selling her CSI. She wants to feel the snap of steel and loved the ride of that bike. So were going with a new CDA in Rapid Tour set up with a slightly sloping TT and Yes I will build it with SRAM Rival grouppo with their compac double since she has smallish hands. F3 fork and were going to be a happy family. Next up is an ATTACK built for me strictly built for weight savings , NO BROOKS saddle on this puppy , maybe I borrow a carbon shell saddle from Zapper and see how long I can ride with all plastic under my butt :)

Oh she will ride this bike at Open House 2007 in Saratoga Springs , have you made your plans yet :banana:

RABikes2
10-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Mrs. Smiley:
Helpfully,
Ginger
The difference between the two frames is :confused: ? Actually, it doesn't matter since Ginger DOES know the difference and Ginger gives sound advice. I second her. :D :D Go for it Mrs. Smiley!
RA