PDA

View Full Version : Strong 24h rear road rim?

dddd
06-02-2018, 03:10 AM
I have a Bontrager Race rear wheel that a 200+ pound rider has managed to put cracks in the rim. He wants to replace the rim but I cant find a suitable 24-hole rim with similar 17mm inside width, ~21mm depth, offset profile and 604mm ERD.
I thought about the Belgium rim but maybe not with just 24 spokes and his weight. It's hilly here and with rough roads, and he puts in a lot of mileage with the club.
Can anyone recommend a flat black replacement rim that will hold up?

mcteague
06-02-2018, 06:34 AM
I'm sure all the wheel building experts will soon weigh in but, IMO, a 200+ lb rider has no business looking at 24 hole rear rims. I think 32 should be the limit.

Tim

Black Dog
06-02-2018, 07:04 AM
I'm sure all the wheel building experts will soon weigh in but, IMO, a 200+ lb rider has no business looking at 24 hole rear rims. I think 32 should be the limit.

Tim

This. 8 more spokes will build a stronger and more durable wheel. A 200 pound Cinderella wears a size 32 and not a 24.

R3awak3n
06-02-2018, 07:28 AM
Unpopular opinion. Over 200lbs and have 28h sets with no problems but I do agree 24 maybe pushing it on some rims. Enve and reynolds wheels do have 24 spokes and no weight limit but I assume you want an alloy rim. Belgium maybe a good choice

oldpotatoe
06-02-2018, 07:28 AM
I have a Bontrager Race rear wheel that a 200+ pound rider has managed to put cracks in the rim. He wants to replace the rim but I cant find a suitable 24-hole rim with similar 17mm inside width, ~21mm depth, offset profile and 604mm ERD.
I thought about the Belgium rim but maybe not with just 24 spokes and his weight. It's hilly here and with rough roads, and he puts in a lot of mileage with the club.
Can anyone recommend a flat black replacement rim that will hold up?

You are asking a lot...dimensions, 24h, 'suitable'(meaning not light) and 604mm ERD. Time to get new spokes and the world opens up a lot(DT511, Velocity Dyad, others). AS mentioned, 24h probably not the best choice for this rider but there are rims that will work for him.

Gummee
06-02-2018, 07:39 AM
About the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is something along the lines of a 404 rim.

good luck!

M

ultraman6970
06-02-2018, 07:46 AM
Rims is hard to find because what is in the market is what is in the market.

But, you can get a nice set of campy neutrons or euros any other low spoke campy that will hold you just fine. But yeah... 32 or 28 is the way to go tho.

GregL
06-02-2018, 07:53 AM
You are asking a lot...dimensions, 24h, 'suitable'(meaning not light) and 604mm ERD. Time to get new spokes and the world opens up a lot(DT511, Velocity Dyad, others). AS mentioned, 24h probably not the best choice for this rider but there are rims that will work for him.Listen to this wise advice ^^^^^^. Bite the bullet and accept the fact that you will need to purchase new spokes. As for the rim, I'd suggest one of the deeper Kinlin rims. They're sturdy enough that Rolf uses them on their aluminum tandem wheels. We have a set of the Rolf tandem wheels that have been 100% reliable for years. The 24 spoke rear wheel holds up to a 300+ lb. team with no problems

Greg

JimmyTango
06-02-2018, 09:57 AM
If he ends up getting new spokes the Kinlin XR31 comes in an offset version and in my experience builds into a pretty sturdy 24h rear wheel.

buddybikes
06-02-2018, 10:38 AM
If you can find older Bontrager XXX Lite rim around, carbon, strong as nails. I have least 15K miles on them. Other than width issue (they are not wide design), they would be popular today.

einreb
06-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Not an erd or depth match, but the DT SWISS RR 585 is a really nice and durable rim even in 24h.

Gummee
06-02-2018, 03:54 PM
If you can find older Bontrager XXX Lite rim around, carbon, strong as nails. I have least 15K miles on them. Other than width issue (they are not wide design), they would be popular today.

The RXL rims are spendy from Trek. I haven't looked at the XXX lately, but IIRC wholesale was not quite $200. EACH

M

dddd
06-02-2018, 05:14 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for all of the info, and yes it looks like I will be replacing the spokes (a few were gnarled by the chain already).

I am considering the Kinlin XR31 but still searching for an offset model in this weight range.

I remember the Bontrager XXX wheels, a friend ran over one of his wheels with his truck and there was no damage! He kept riding them for years and probably still has them.

I will also consider a carbon rim from Light Bicycle, who I have ordered mtb rims from in the past (and found them to be extremely durable).

oldpotatoe
06-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Not an erd or depth match, but the DT SWISS RR 585 is a really nice and durable rim even in 24h.

I would recommend that in a heartbeat but no longer made. Probably some out there. DT511 replacement, great rim and good for dddddd, I’d be wants to buy new spokes. Samo for a 585.

cmbicycles
06-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Is this a wheel with the paired spoke configuration? If so and you are looking to just lace a new rim onto the existing hub/spokes to save money you are kind of stuck with a bontrager rim.

I think I recall an Open Pro has/had around a 604 erd, but I wouldn't want to build one in 24h rear for someone who is presumed to be hard on his wheels.

dddd
06-02-2018, 09:15 PM
I do see some DT RR585 rims in 24h still out there, it's old-school narrow, but strong is essential. It sounds like a CXP33 type of solution.

No paired spokes here. Those carbon Bonties were made first with paired spokes, and later with regular spacing. Both crazy strong. Are there actually any rims still available?