PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ordered groupsets from ProBikeKit lately?

doomridesout
05-31-2018, 06:22 PM
Just curious to know if they came with all necessary fittings, cables, hydro hose kit, etc., or whether they were missing that stuff in grey market bags?

PNW
05-31-2018, 06:23 PM
Avoid them like the plague..reach out to Ben at Velomine in Illinois. That guy has come as close to Euro pricing that makes it worth spending just a bit more.

duff_duffy
05-31-2018, 06:37 PM
Ben is absolutely awesome from Velomine. Two of my bikes were built with groupsets from him. They are are responsive and know there stuff if you don’t (when I ordered for first time I had no idea what I needed!). Stuff came quick, as described, and at best price around at the time.

Hilltopperny
05-31-2018, 07:08 PM
+1 on velomine. Bought a few things through them at great prices. The last group set I bought from pbk came loose in a box and had the wrong type of bottom bracket.

When buying across the pond it is basically impossible to return anything or to get the situation rectified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cicli
05-31-2018, 07:22 PM
Plus whatever for Velomine. Ben does a great job.

R3awak3n
05-31-2018, 07:48 PM
PBK is fine till its not. I would not order anything from them that costs over $50. You will be waiting and waiting.

Really, only company from the UK I order from is Merlin

Fivethumbs
06-01-2018, 01:38 AM
I just ordered a crankset and bottom bracket. Everything went fine and I received the items in about 10 days.

jamesdak
06-01-2018, 08:33 AM
I use PBK alot and all has been fine. They are are just slower to ship than many of the other European sites.

I had one set of wheels "lost in customs" for months. They finally arrived in a totally mangled, crushed, and torn open box. I sent pictures to PBK, they refunded my money and still let me keep the wheels. So, while a hassle, it was the shipping company or customs that failed on the shipment. PBK stood behind their service though. I use them a lot when I don't need things really fast.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164946081/large.jpg

bigbill
06-01-2018, 08:37 AM
I've bought groups from Ribble and Velomine. I prefer Velomine because of their service plus at the time, they had all alloy Athena with NOS alloy UT cranksets. They usually have what I want. Ribble had a Chorus group for $800, hard to pass that up.

sokyroadie
06-01-2018, 08:42 AM
Ribble had a Chorus group for $800, hard to pass that up.

"Had" is the key word - Ribble is pretty much useless these day's if you want Campy. They seem to be concentrating on their bike business.

Jeff

d_douglas
06-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Yes, PBK misrepresented some Campy hydro shifters and in spite on me emails to clarify before buying they insisted they were describing accurately. I bought and they arrived not as described so I had to wait for two months to get my money back.

That was my one and only experience :)

ultraman6970
06-01-2018, 09:16 AM
If general lines if description is odd is better not even get into that deal.

Salty
06-01-2018, 10:00 AM
From earlier this week: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=215752

jemoryl
06-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Used to buy stuff from PBK, but they have lost my trust when they were bought out and the horror stories began (prices weren't so great either). Ribble was my UK vendor of choice, but they too have gone downhill, and appear to be mostly concentrating on selling complete bikes. Two recent experiences with Wiggle have been super - quick delivery and good prices.

dddd
06-01-2018, 11:25 AM
Used to buy stuff from PBK, but they have lost my trust when they were bought out and the horror stories began (prices weren't so great either). Ribble was my UK vendor of choice, but they too have gone downhill, and appear to be mostly concentrating on selling complete bikes. Two recent experiences with Wiggle have been super - quick delivery and good prices.

I would have used your exact words...

"The horror stories..."

"...they have lost my trust..."

I'll add that it very much appears that they lied to me, and told lies to my credit card company. I could go on, really.

cadence90
06-01-2018, 11:33 AM
.... ..

Johnnysmooth
06-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Just placed an order with PBK for tape, campy cable set and fizik seat post. All came through fine, packaged well and delivered in under 2wks.

Would I order a groupset from them, fancy wheelset or other such costly items - likely not.

But for tires, tubes, various small parts and even some clothing (got great deal last yr on some Giro d'Italia kit) I am comfortable with PBK. Based on experience of others, may rethink that.

Andy340
06-01-2018, 12:01 PM
I ordered a lot from them in past few years - only one package never arrived (after 30 days iirc I had to fill out a form and they resent), most with in 2 weeks to Boston area.

Bought some zero nites and got everything (pads etc) with no issues - higher cost items come with tracked shipping as default so less worry about status of package

jamesdak
06-02-2018, 08:32 AM
I've bought from them over a dozen times the past couple of years. Like I said previously, slower to ship than the others but if not in a rush I'd not hesitate to use them.

I did notice an error in their description for some tubular Veloflex tires. They fixed the ad and replied to my questions after I emailed them about it. When the one package was damaged they were quick to respond. Worked the issue in one day with the actual shipper, and then issued my refund.

doomridesout
06-02-2018, 04:00 PM
I was flabbergasted to see that an Ultegra 8070 groupset was $1350, but I'll hold off because it probably doesn't include hoses, fittings, or e-tubes.

jamesdak
06-02-2018, 09:32 PM
I was flabbergasted to see that an Ultegra 8070 groupset was $1350, but I'll hold off because it probably doesn't include hoses, fittings, or e-tubes.

Why don't you just email them and ask?

I've never been shorted anything in a groupset I've bought from PBK, Ribble, or Merlin.

Velomine comes close on the U.K prices but are always missing components to get there. Not a slam on Ben as he's top notch and has always been very helpful. Just pointing out that the difference really grows once you figure in the rest of the parts. The U.K sites just have an unfair advantage but that's how it is.

bfd
06-30-2018, 07:12 PM
Just placed an order with PBK for tape, campy cable set and fizik seat post. All came through fine, packaged well and delivered in under 2wks.

Would I order a groupset from them, fancy wheelset or other such costly items - likely not.

But for tires, tubes, various small parts and even some clothing (got great deal last yr on some Giro d'Italia kit) I am comfortable with PBK. Based on experience of others, may rethink that.

OK, has anybody ordered anything from Probikekit recently? They seem to have real good prices on Campy Chorus mechanical and I can save over $50 ordering from them. BUT, if they're as horrible as some people say, then I'll pay the $50 elsewhere. Let me know! Thanks!

acorn_user
06-30-2018, 07:23 PM
I've never ordered anything big from PBK, but I really like their own brand shorts. The nicer ones have/had really nice elastic interface pads...

R3awak3n
06-30-2018, 07:39 PM
OK, has anybody ordered anything from Probikekit recently? They seem to have real good prices on Campy Chorus mechanical and I can save over $50 ordering from them. BUT, if they're as horrible as some people say, then I'll pay the $50 elsewhere. Let me know! Thanks!

I would pay $50 for better service. Sure PBK can be fine, you wait a while and usually arrives. But to me, I rather do Merlin. They are the best UK guys right now. Ship super fast, with tracking number (not extra for a damn tracking number), stuff arrives within a week too. They also have some of the best prices... To me not worth saving a few dollars and worry about when or if your stuff will get to you.

John H.
06-30-2018, 08:12 PM
Merlin Cycles is close to same price. They seem to be a trustworthy operation.