PDA

View Full Version : No more McLane Pacific.

swoop
10-20-2006, 10:32 PM
This was one of my favorite races. I'd only done it the last two years and was either really sick or really injured. Regardless, I loved that race (two races in two days).

The crit was like a roller coaster with the craziest chicane ever and hot laps every one of the first 5 laps...and the road race was a windfest in the best way. You'd be signle file in the gutter just praying the guy in front wouldn't make a gap. Both days made you turn yourself inside out....

I never got a decent result.. but I was never healthy... and I'd do it injured or not any time. Still, I don't understand USA Cycling, they make it impossible to to meet the criteria financially. Shouldn't they be fostering NRC Races instead of setting the bar out of reach.

Anybody know the details? There's a blurb about it in cyclingnews.

Oy, had to get that off my chest.

stevep
10-21-2006, 05:37 AM
usa cycling should be on their knees to the promoter to keep an event like that up and running instead of hitting him w/ some financial requirement that kills the race.
talk about the baby and the bathwater.

John H.
10-21-2006, 09:33 AM
The promoter should have it anyway. Too many promoters are letting USA Cycling strongarm them. A great race like McClain Pacific would fill every field even if it had no NRC status. It is a great race at the perfect time of year.
USA Cycling is also making Tour of Missouri and Tour of Utah part of the USA Cycling Pro Tour. That means pro only and invite only. USA cycling is making a big deal out of these races but they will only be races for 100 guys. These races will even exclude many domestic pro teams just like Tour of California and Georgia already do. This creates opportunity for promoters that realize that they could have a big race for everyone else on the same week.