PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a Fat Cyclist aka How Much Are You Weighing

m4rk540
05-31-2018, 04:35 PM
Inspired by the Weight Weenies Thread

I'm a fat guy or, more accurately, husky and I can put the power down for 5 to 6 seconds. You know where this is going, right? Exactly, I call myself a sprinter. A bunch of other fat guys around here fancy themselves sprinters as well. I think we all know that pro tour sprinters are actually skinny guys, relative to the general population. Yet when a little guy outsprints me, I get a little annoyed.

Is the Colombian sprinter who won all the ATOC stages the lightest of the current uber-sprinters?

Random rant.

Oh, all this is probably on my mind because someone said they like Rapha or another premium brand because they offer XXXL.

6'1" 205#

d_douglas
05-31-2018, 05:02 PM
We are the same size.

I love descending with my uberfit, experienced 6'0" 160lb buddy. I'm always downhill faster than him!

At one point in my life, I weighed 170lb and I was simply too skinny for my body type. I am meant to be 185lbs. All that to say, I guess that means I am 20lbs overweight.

54ny77
05-31-2018, 05:13 PM
160 +/- a couple lbs. was formerly in your 200+ weight zip code, and i'm a few inches or so shorter which is even worse (proportionally) and was no bueno for me in many respects.

it's been a 5 month journey, but i'm down about 40 lbs thanks to a massive diet change: less calories in vs. out.

i know, it's a revolutionary concept. :bike:

i've enjoyed selling my formerly fitting cycling gear. am now fitting into some kit i haven't worn in, quite literally, 10-15 years. that's been pretty awesome change.

Hilltopperny
05-31-2018, 05:53 PM
I gained roughly 40lbs this year and have been working it off since. I am a stocky 5’8 and was 240# in April.

I have dropped 25lbs and hope to shed at least 15 more in the coming weeks. I am fit at around 185, but haven’t been there in a few years now. If I can get under 200 I’ll be happy. Fortunately I can usually shed it quickly with the right dietary restrictions and some excercise. Still doesn’t make me fast though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avalonracing
05-31-2018, 06:05 PM
If you think six seconds of full power will win a sprint you better hope that everyone has been coasting until you are within 100 yards of the finish line. ;)

m4rk540
05-31-2018, 06:14 PM
If you think six seconds of full power will win a sprint you better hope that everyone has been coasting until you are within 100 yards of the finish line. ;)

I was being fatcecious :bike:

Still, 6 seconds with 1750W peak power fuels my delusion.

m4rk540
05-31-2018, 06:22 PM
160 +/- a couple lbs. was formerly in your 200+ weight zip code, and i'm a few inches or so shorter which is even worse (proportionally) and was no bueno for me in many respects.

it's been a 5 month journey, but i'm down about 40 lbs thanks to a massive diet change: less calories in vs. out.

i know, it's a revolutionary concept. :bike:

i've enjoyed selling my formerly fitting cycling gear. am now fitting into some kit i haven't worn in, quite literally, 10-15 years. that's been pretty awesome change.

Congrats!

175 is the goal here.

moobikes
05-31-2018, 06:34 PM
5'10" 180lbs
20lbs of blubber bouncing about.
I would have to starve myself and workout all day long to get to the BMI correct 160lbs.

bikinchris
05-31-2018, 06:38 PM
Buncha lightweights....

ERK55
05-31-2018, 06:48 PM
I was about to say that...

donevwil
05-31-2018, 06:53 PM
This is like the Big Bike PSA thread, expecting to see 64s and 66s but presented with predominantly 58s and 59s.

Clicked to see who's north of 250 and everyone's lighter than I was as a teenager.

Currently an out of shape 235 at 6' 5". Was a very out of shape, all time high of 250# late last year after 9 months off the bike dealing with health issues. Heading to a fit 220# Sept. goal (lose 30# of fat and gain 15 of muscle).

Bob Ross
05-31-2018, 06:55 PM
My only weight-related-to-cycling story is already a dozen years old:

I spent most of my adult life -- 20 to 45 years old -- between 185-190lbs. (I'm 6'0" ...or at least I was until my last physical, when the MD crushed my soul by announcing I was now officially 5'11.75").

But within the first two months of me transitioning from a casual utility cyclist to an obsessive recreational road cyclist, I lost 20lbs. Without even trying.

So I'm thinking "Hey, this cycling thing is pretty cool: I get to have all this fun riding fast, eat whatever i want, drink a schidt-ton of beer, and I still lose weight!"

Nope: Twelve years later I'm still at exactly the same weight I was two months into the obsession.
:banana:

What was the question?

R3awak3n
05-31-2018, 07:08 PM
Buncha lightweights....

I was gonna say....

I am 240. Working on getting in the onederland. But I was much more, slowly dropping this weight

ceolwulf
05-31-2018, 07:16 PM
212 here, at 6'-0". Powered by pie. Also weighed down by pie.

I know what I need to do to get where I need to be ... the problem is that it involves much cooking. I *hate* cooking.

Also back off the beer :no: I learned a very interesting thing the other day, "oxidative priority", basically the body will use whatever fuel in the bloodstream first that it least wants to be there. So alcohol will always get burned first. So if you want to make double sure that none of that lovely pizza goes to waste and it all turns to blubber, have a beer or two with it :banana: dangit.

bigbill
05-31-2018, 07:29 PM
6'1" and when I raced in the 90's to mid aughts, I was 178-210. My military career meant a lack of continuous training, just a year or two in a row before I'd deploy again. As my jobs got harder and my rank went up, I had less time to ride and I got heavy. When I retired in 2012, I was around 255. I'm 220 now and I'd like to get down to <210. I'm never going to be a skinny racer again but I still ride 8K+ miles a year. Disclaimer, I had the upper body of a ten year old when I raced, now I do 60 pushups a day and a bunch of core work, I'm far more muscular than when I raced and I'm cool with that. That's why 210 would be good.

Scuzzer
05-31-2018, 08:03 PM
Took my 14 year old son to the school district sports physical last weekend. He's 6'2" and 188 pounds with no fat on him and even then he got the BMI talk about how he's only a few pounds below overweight and he needs to keep his eye on it. I'm 6'2" and 230 with absolutely no way of ever weighing less than 195 lbs until my decaying corpse reaches that weight and I get the bmi talk every year at my physical. Sometimes averages aren't really averages.

On a bike I'm more of a rouleur and best for hammering rolling hills into a headwind with hopefully a slight downward tilt. Drafting off the 5'6" 130 pound guys doesn't really work.

jtbadge
05-31-2018, 08:11 PM
Close to 210 right now, a hair under 6’. Down from a peak of 240 about 3.5 years ago.

GregL
05-31-2018, 09:30 PM
6' tall. Former lean 210 lb. hockey player. Met this girl 30 years ago who was serious about cycling. Traded in the skates for a bike. Now 170 lbs. at summer racing weight. Still riding with the same cycling girl after 28+ years of marriage!

Greg

hollowgram5
05-31-2018, 09:47 PM
This is like the Big Bike PSA thread, expecting to see 64s and 66s but presented with predominantly 58s and 59s.

Clicked to see who's north of 250 and everyone's lighter than I was as a teenager.

Currently an out of shape 235 at 6' 5". Was a very out of shape, all time high of 250# late last year after 9 months off the bike dealing with health issues. Heading to a fit 220# Sept. goal (lose 30# of fat and gain 15 of muscle).

I feel your pain on both fronts man. As of this morning, I was in that north club, but mind you, I'm leaner now than I've been in the past 15 years or so except for about 8 months back in '15 from around March to November where I was in the low 230s and was really strong on my bike.

This comes after playing collegiate ice hockey, tearing both ACLs and having surgery 11months apart during that time. I started college at 6'4" and 210lbs. I graduated at 235, and have only seen less than that for short periods of time over the past decade. I haven't been under 200# since I was 17.

I've been as high as 265-270, and was completely out of shape. My lady comments on how skinny I am now, but she's seen me at some of those high points. It's been lots of effort in the gym lifting heavy, better diet, and riding when I can that has helped in my situation. The saddle time isn't there, but I can pick things up and put them down way more easily than even 6 months ago.

I've been asked about a goal weight, and I don't know that anything less than 225# would feel right. Maybe, but i don't think it would be sustainable.

Everyone's journey and perception of where they are at is different. We all struggle, and we all have a different ending point and measure of success.

RoadWhale
05-31-2018, 10:25 PM
I'm 6'4" and 332. 5 years ago I was 230 and then my world sort of fell apart. My peak was 348 about a month ago. My goal, long term, is 220. I think cycling has helped me from even worse numbers and will be the instrument of my physical health's redemption.

bicycletricycle
05-31-2018, 10:36 PM
6 foot 2 , 220 pounds. I was 175 for a short time 15 years ago. That was cool, sometimes I think about trying to get lighter but I guess I don't car that much because I havn't done **** about it.

I'm at max Rapha, XXL jerseys and 36 rando shorts. I have quit rapha so not sure what I will get next, got plenty of reserves for a couple years so not worried about it.

tuxbailey
05-31-2018, 10:38 PM
5' 9" 208#.

Wants to get back to under 190...

bikinchris
05-31-2018, 10:59 PM
Took my 14 year old son to the school district sports physical last weekend. He's 6'2" and 188 pounds with no fat on him and even then he got the BMI talk about how he's only a few pounds below overweight and he needs to keep his eye on it. I'm 6'2" and 230 with absolutely no way of ever weighing less than 195 lbs until my decaying corpse reaches that weight and I get the bmi talk every year at my physical. Sometimes averages aren't really averages.

On a bike I'm more of a rouleur and best for hammering rolling hills into a headwind with hopefully a slight downward tilt. Drafting off the 5'6" 130 pound guys doesn't really work.

BMI is a bunch of bull. It does not take into account your frame. Slightly built people are at a distinct advantage. But my shoulder joints are 47cm wide. I have 235 pounds of lean body mass and I do NOT float in fresh water well enough to breath.
Oh yeah, I'm down to 275 now and 6'0"

fiamme red
05-31-2018, 11:10 PM
BMI is a bunch of bull. It does not take into account your frame. Slightly built people are at a distinct advantage. But my shoulder joints are 47cm wide. I have 235 pounds of lean body mass and I do NOT float in fresh water well enough to breath.
Oh yeah, I'm down to 275 now and 6'0"When I was in the best shape of my life, at 5'10" and 179 lbs., I had a biometric screening at work and was told that according to my BMI measurement, I was overweight. :rolleyes:

donevwil
05-31-2018, 11:19 PM
I'm 6'4" and 332. 5 years ago I was 230 and then my world sort of fell apart. My peak was 348 about a month ago. My goal, long term, is 220. I think cycling has helped me from even worse numbers and will be the instrument of my physical health's redemption.

RoadWhale,

One pedal revolution at a time and you'll meet your goal. If that fails you at any time we've got your back as best we can. Let's work to change that handle (if you want).

cadence90
05-31-2018, 11:22 PM
RoadWhale,

One pedal revolution at a time and you'll meet your goal. If that fails you at any time we've got your back as best we can. Let's work to change that handle (if you want).
Great post, and I'll second that thought. Bravo.

Scuzzer
05-31-2018, 11:58 PM
Oh yeah, I'm down to 275 now and 6'0"

We are very wide and muscular. I got down to 196 lbs right after I came back from the 350 mile iditasport race in '96 and everyone that didn't know me thought I had cancer. The people that did know me said I needed to eat more since I looked frail. My cycling buddies were freaked out because I literally had no fat on my body.

I went through only 7 days of extreme calorie hardship. Can't imagine if that was my life.

whateveronfire
06-01-2018, 12:06 AM
RoadWhale,

This is one of the best, most supportive posts I have ever seen on this topic, period. You are a hero.

(I was where RW was once and am now about half that, so I know whereof I speak).

So, thank you from my past and current self and all who struggle. One revolution at a time.

:hello:

Scuzzer
06-01-2018, 12:08 AM
I'm 6'4" and 332. 5 years ago I was 230 and then my world sort of fell apart.

Hey man I'm a similar boat. I am 6'2" and 230 lbs, I recently was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and told I can't cycle the way I was used to. Don't know how I can keep from ballooning up in weight without my weekly 200 miles or so. I'd like to be younger.

Good luck to your endeavors.

hollowgram5
06-01-2018, 12:53 AM

Your post came through right before my flight took off, but I echo what those below have said.

One of my best buddies from college is 6'5" and was 425# at his heaviest. Dedication, discipline, and hard work got him down to 235 at his lightest. Just the other day he sent me a bunch of links to bikes he's been looking at over in Sweden. He's excited to add cycling to his options for exercise.

It's late and has been a long day, but keep up the effort. You'll get there, and there will be a good portion of this board pulling for you to reach your goals.

RoadWhale,

Great post, and I'll second that thought. Bravo.

RoadWhale
06-01-2018, 01:40 AM
I can't thank all of you enough for your kind comments and words of encouragement. I don't post very much but I'm an avid reader of this forum and feel like I've learned so much in the time I've been here. Donevwil you're more right than you know. One of the "rewards" I've promised myself when I reach a much lower mass is an Avatar name change. Thanks again.

oldpotatoe
06-01-2018, 07:16 AM
We are the same size.

I love descending with my uberfit, experienced 6'0" 160lb buddy. I'm always downhill faster than him!

At one point in my life, I weighed 170lb and I was simply too skinny for my body type. I am meant to be 185lbs. All that to say, I guess that means I am 20lbs overweight.

OBEY GRAVITY, it's the law!!
When I was running I weighed 168 pounds. When I quit running, I think I gained 15 pounds overnight. Feel best about 185...Yup, I'm 20 pounds(or a SBW, Standard Bike Weight-20 pounds) overweight also..oh well..:)

oldpotatoe
06-01-2018, 07:22 AM

"Everything will be all right in the end, if it's not all right, it's not the end."
One day at a time..small moves..do things that make you happy. Don't beat yourself up , sometimes we are OBE, Overcome By Events..Come to this place. Entertaining(sometimes in spades), full of knowledge and some very nice people..:)

Gsinill
06-01-2018, 07:54 AM
Glad I am not the only one fighting the pounds.
5'11" and 230, up from 215 a year ago due to knee issues that prevented me to ride for almost 1 year.
Working from home too close to the fridge didn't help either.
Hope to get below 200 at some point.

ls1togo
06-01-2018, 08:26 AM
5'10" and currently 218 lbs...up from 202 in December last year, lousy weather limited riding during the winter, not necessarily cold but crappy wet!...any way, I was a low of 180 4 years ago and as I've aged ( now 71) and metabolism has slowed it has crept up...
It's an on going fight...I watch calories (1570 daily) nutrients and ride 100-150 miles weekly (5k last year)...arthritis in some joints (hands and feet) are becoming more of an issue especially here in the humid South (I'll solve that by moving to AZ)
It was great reading this thread as I thought I was wrestling with the weight issue by myself!..Cycling somethings sends the wrong message like jersey's/bibs mostly made for smaller riders..we're rarely 135 pound riders (unless we're 12!)
Anyway, what a better way to fight aging, weight and have fun doing it!!

William
06-01-2018, 09:02 AM
6'5 - 6'6" I don't know, I'm getting older. :)

255 - 260. Fluctuates depending on what my training focus is at the time. I weighed about the same in HS so I've done a pretty good job of regulating my weight with training and diet. The lightest I've ever been and been fit was when I was competitive rowing, about 245 and completely shredded. Racing weight on the bike was generally 250 - 255. I have tree trunks for legs so that makes of most of my weight and makes my power to weight ratio pretty crazy as well.

William

MattTuck
06-01-2018, 09:26 AM
I gained roughly 40lbs this year and have been working it off since. I am a stocky 5’8 and was 240# in April.

I have dropped 25lbs and hope to shed at least 15 more in the coming weeks. I am fit at around 185, but haven’t been there in a few years now. If I can get under 200 I’ll be happy. Fortunately I can usually shed it quickly with the right dietary restrictions and some excercise. Still doesn’t make me fast though...

211. I gained 20 pounds October to March, and was up at 218. Slowly bring it back down. We both have an excuse :)

I am best man at a wedding on September 1st. I bought the pants 2 waist sizes smaller than I am now. So the pressure is on!

Nooch
06-01-2018, 09:29 AM
5'6", 192lbs.

Got down (for a biggest loser competition) the day before thanksgiving to 168. Holidays, followed by my wife ending up on bed rest, followed by the birth of daughter number three and I got back up over 200 by April.

Slowly coming back down.

ltwtsculler91
06-01-2018, 09:31 AM
5'6", 192lbs.

Got down (for a biggest loser competition) the day before thanksgiving to 168. Holidays, followed by my wife ending up on bed rest, followed by the birth of daughter number three and I got back up over 200 by April.

Slowly coming back down.

BUT you still finished the race last night...:banana:

As for me, I probably don't fit into this thread at around 5'10 and 160ish lbs, but as a former lightweight rower who'd race at 145-150, I still feel fat...

mudhead
06-01-2018, 09:38 AM
I'm 5'10" and currently 208lbs. I started the year above 220lbs with the goal of increasing cycling fitness and dropping weight. First 3mo were self coached and I've been with coach since 4/1. For me it's about power to weight ratio and I'm tackling both. Having a coach to be accountable to is a strong motivator for me - YMMV.

csm
06-01-2018, 09:57 AM
6' 220 lbs. got serious about diet and movement a few years ago and made it down to 180. Hovered around 190-195 for awhile and am headed back down.
I've always eaten well, but sometimes I eat too well....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daker13
06-01-2018, 10:02 AM
I spent most of the past year around 200 lbs (at 6'2") but the pounds started creeping on and now I'm about 215 and not happy about it. This thread makes me feel better.

As Weisan wrote in another thread, exercise may shave off a couple pounds, but if you exercise and then eat more as a result, you're not going to lose any weight. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks so maybe that will help (I'm a vegetarian and always lose weight on vacation).

bigflax925
06-01-2018, 10:43 AM
I'm fatter than all of you guys!

I've been riding for almost 35 years now, but that's slowed over the last 15 years.

I've gained and lost more weight in my life than almost anyone I know. About every 10 years I shed 60-90# but had some setbacks on my last go-round.

I was over 300# (5'10") in December, and down to 285 now and still trying to bring it down. I'm not as young as I used to be and weighing this much has it's drawbacks... obviously... so I haven't been on the bike as much as I need to be.

But it's a start.

benb
06-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Best luck to anyone trying to lose weight.

I am amazed at the stories of people claiming weight gains.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned gaining 40lbs in 2018.

We're halfway through the year, that means you'd have to average 700-800 extra calories every single day.

If you take that as a calendar year that'd be 300-400 extra every single day.

I don't think I'm physically capable of eating 700-800 extra calories per day without feeling/getting sick.

I've been training like crazy the last 3 months. I'm 6'1" and I was 170.5 Tuesday and hit 300w for 10 minutes 2X doing my intervals. I am probably happiest at 175 but I have no illusions about extra weight being anything but an anchor. My 5 minute/1 minute/5 second power might be slightly off losing 5lbs but it's very small and I haven't been training it so too hard to tell. I mostly feel like I get faster in every way every pound of fat I burn off.

Even if I back way off I don't really let myself go much above 180... it seems to require skipping huge #s of workouts and overeating to the point of feeling sick.

I always assumed people who pack on 20, 30, 40, 50lbs of extra body fat do it over many many years.

Ozz
06-01-2018, 11:05 AM
6'-2"
185 lbs

Most fit I've been (the few years after college) I was at 170-175 (30 yrs ago)

beeatnik
06-01-2018, 11:06 AM
5'11" 170

15 pounds above my fighting weight.

"Now I can truly understand the pressure to be anorexic in the modeling industry." Friend's comment after seeing the pic below.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/897/28624434748_2c12fe40e0_b.jpg

The irony is that it can be just as hard to put on pounds as to lose weight when you're 15 and 105 pounds. In those days, I dreamed of being a normal weight. You know, 210, like most guys in the Majors.

Clydesdale
06-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Currently 220 and need to drop 5-10

6'1+ a little and pretty lean at anything under 220. I've been to the mid 240s and the low 200s but do best about 215 and get asked about being sick around 210.

I don't have much for the little guys most days but man do they like having me with them on headwind rides ;)

Keep up the good work to those who are getting smaller. It takes time, consistency and discipline.

William
06-01-2018, 11:22 AM
5'11" 170

The irony is that it can be just as hard to put on pounds as to lose weight when you're 15 and 105 pounds. In those days, I dreamed of being a normal weight. You know, 210, like most guys in the Majors.

Yeah, that's been a fight I've had most of my training/competition life. High metabolism with strenuous activity means a fight to maintain a desired weight. Sometimes it was hard to eat enough and would have to supplement with weight gain shakes.:crap:

William

berserk87
06-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Buncha lightweights....

Chris when I met you at Worlds in Richmond a few years back, you didn't strike me as being overly heavy. Then again, I didn't try to give you a piggy-back ride either. You must be hiding the weight somehow.

I'm 6', 212 as of this morning, and having the worst year of my life trying to lose weight. I have this delusion that I will be down to 185 by August. Given my build, 195 is more realistic.

beeatnik
06-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Yeah, that's been a fight I've had most of my training/competition life. High metabolism with strenuous activity means a fight to maintain a desired weight. Sometimes it was hard to eat enough and would have to supplement with weight gain shakes.:crap:

William

Those dreaded weight gain shakes.

As a kid my pediatrician would prescribe B12 supplements. More than likely a placebo as my mom was convinced I was severely malnourished.

PeregrineA1
06-01-2018, 11:34 AM
6’0” and ~215 right now. I’ve been hovering around 205 for 10 years-divorce, better cooking/eating, more riding got me down from around 220 the preceding 10 years. Work since late 2017 has conspired to reduce the riding and I did not adjust the food/beer commensurately. This coming from a low of 149 in October 1987 following 4 months of chemo and surgery for cancer. 175 prior to that. Ideal for me is high 190’s, which I will achieve as I am starting a new job which will allow for more control over ride time. Looking forward to it. BTW, 149 was unpleasant.....

bikinchris
06-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Chris when I met you at Worlds in Richmond a few years back, you didn't strike me as being overly heavy. Then again, I didn't try to give you a piggy-back ride either. You must be hiding the weight somehow.

I'm 6', 212 as of this morning, and having the worst year of my life trying to lose weight. I have this delusion that I will be down to 185 by August. Given my build, 195 is more realistic.

Thanks. I wish I was about 45 pounds lighter.
Between having VERY heavy bones and lots of muscle, I'm not all that bad, except according to BMI, but then I would have to get to zero body fat and then cut off a leg to make BMI happy.

bikinchris
06-01-2018, 11:42 AM
I can't thank all of you enough for your kind comments and words of encouragement. I don't post very much but I'm an avid reader of this forum and feel like I've learned so much in the time I've been here. Donevwil you're more right than you know. One of the "rewards" I've promised myself when I reach a much lower mass is an Avatar name change. Thanks again.

Hey, let us know what we can do to help.

I had a customer who started riding at about 500 pounds and when I lost touch with him, he was down to 350 pounds. Just by riding.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

bob heinatz
06-01-2018, 11:55 AM
5'8" 140 pounds. I have lost 30 lbs in the last year. Mostly cutting back on food intake. Yes I do feel lighter on the bike at this weight.

Pearsom
06-01-2018, 11:59 AM
I am not a Dr or a nutritionist or a scientist but reading this thread made me recall an interesting study / article in the NY Times

THE SCIENCE OF FAT

“The key point is that you can lose enormous amounts of weight but you can’t get away from a basic biological reality” -- “As long as you are below your initial weight, your body is going to try to get you back.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

MattTuck
06-01-2018, 12:07 PM
I am not a Dr or a nutritionist or a scientist but reading this thread made me recall an interesting study / article in the NY Times

THE SCIENCE OF FAT

“The key point is that you can lose enormous amounts of weight but you can’t get away from a basic biological reality” -- “As long as you are below your initial weight, your body is going to try to get you back.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

Do they understand the mechanism by which this happens? I have heard before that when you lose weight, the fat cells shrink, but do not disappear. I've often wondered if something like cryotherapy (CoolSculpting trademark) might work, after you've lost the weight, to actually kill the fat cells.

Fascinating study of how the human body works. And, in many ways, a reflection of just how different our modern world is from that in which we evolved.

Nooch
06-01-2018, 12:08 PM
We're halfway through the year, that means you'd have to average 700-800 extra calories every single day.

I don't think I'm physically capable of eating 700-800 extra calories per day without feeling/getting sick.

Yeah, man, I drank it. High ABV IPA's coupled with absolutely addictive Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips from "Food Should Taste Good Brand" and it's real easy to sneak those extra calories in.

Coming from someone who did several whole30's last year and went from 240 to 168 from January to Thanksgiving.

fatsanta92
06-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Solid 5'11 and a 150-155 pounds during summer:help:, closer to 160 during winter. Heaviest was 205 about 6 years ago.

Can't put out those max watts like everyone (not that I train for it) but I can hold 4 watts/kg pretty consistently for 20 minutes or so solo or 3.5 watts/kg for about 60 miles

I picked up cycling to lose weight and off it came pretty quickly. I'm relatively young (very young compared to most on here) so I'm setting myself up with some wiggle room for that eventual weight gain when I have kids.

biker72
06-01-2018, 01:34 PM
At one time in my life at 6'2"I weighed a little over 300 pounds. I can remember thinking that I'd never live long enough to loose 100 pounds. Thanks to a lifestyle change and cycling I'm now around 185.

I think of myself as a fat person in a thin persons clothing. Anytime my weight starts approaching 190 I hit the panic button. I don't ever want to be heavy again. Thankfully cycling expends a lot of calories and it's fun too.

dirty_barry
06-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Another big boy checking in here at 6'4 and pushing 265lbs presently. Not too long ago I was clocking in at 220 and riding 1-200 miles a week but recent health problems (neck injury) has brought my activity to a standstill unfortunately.

Reintroducing the bike this month and hoping I am able to get back in some sort of form/fitness.

jumphigher
06-01-2018, 02:19 PM
I'm 5'11" and around 138lbs. I've worked hard to maintain my physique as I've gotten older - my wife as well. Basically lot's of exercise and eating right/light. As I always say to people that ask me for weight losing advice 'how bad do you want it'? Because you cant be light and eat tons of food and drink tons of beer, as so many people do. You simply cant exercise calories like that away.

m4rk540
06-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Jumphigher, were you over 100 pounds at 18?

bikinchris
06-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes are needed.

jumphigher
06-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Jumphigher, were you over 100 pounds at 18?

Yep. I've kept my weight close to my highschool weight most of my adult life. It can be done, but you have to be willing to not fall into the trap most people do - the trap of overeating and not exercising enough. I like to look a certain way, so I work hard to achieve that.

54ny77
06-01-2018, 03:42 PM
This.

Major lifestyle changes especially if you're realistically 25-30%+ heavier than what is considered reasonable.

For me, exercise alone does very little to assist in weight loss. The only way is simple math: less calories in vs. out. And to make sure those coming in are good ones.

Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes are needed.

GregL
06-01-2018, 03:49 PM
This.

Major lifestyle changes especially if you're realistically 25-30%+ heavier than what is considered reasonable.

As I've gotten older I too realized that exercise does very little to assist in weight loss. Instead it's simple math: less calories in vs. out. And to make sure those coming in are good ones.
A cycling teammate and I once discussed this subject during a training ride. Something along the lines of "eat healthy, exercise, get enough rest, don't smoke, and don't drink too much alcohol" was the simple answer to maintaining a healthy weight (excepting true underlying health conditions). Of course, no one would buy a book advocating this approach... I'm 54 years old and weigh the same as I did at age 19. There's no magic, no secret formula, and no genetic good fortune. In my case, it just takes discipline and will power. It ain't easy.

Greg

HenryA
06-01-2018, 03:59 PM
I consider myself to be big boned.

beeatnik
06-01-2018, 04:00 PM
A cycling teammate and I once discussed this subject during a training ride. Something along the lines of "eat healthy, exercise, get enough rest, don't smoke, and don't drink too much alcohol" was the simple answer to maintaining a healthy weight (excepting true underlying health conditions). Of course, no one would buy a book advocating this approach... I'm 54 years old and weigh the same as I did at age 19. There's no magic, no secret formula, and no genetic good fortune. In my case, it just takes discipline and will power. It ain't easy.

Greg

I'd bet all my bikes that you weren't an overweight child or infant.

whateveronfire
06-01-2018, 04:09 PM

Yes indeed. I'd bet my house.

Of course it's calories in v out, but it's not that simple.

Congrats to those of you who don't struggle with it. Those of us who do could use responses more like donevwil's rather than some of the more recent ones.

I record and monitor everything I eat every day. Even then, I've gained 10 pounds or so in the last six months. I'm 50 and am over-educated, so it's not about not knowing or being able to track input v output.

RoadWhale (and anyone else), you got this. Just keep pedaling.

GregL
06-01-2018, 04:13 PM
Shall I PM you my shipping address? I was overweight all through elementary school. Not quite clinically obese, but close. Last kid picked for any sports team. In middle school, I desperately wanted to be a better athlete. Some good coaches and considerate upperclassmen took me under their respective wings. I actually read nutrition books to understand calories vs. activity. When I succeeded in losing weight AND started growing, I went from "fat kid" to successful athlete in just a few short years. I'm very, very sensitive to the plight of overweight people. I am very supportive to family, friends and co-workers who want to make a healthy lifestyle change. It's great to see that kind of encouragement in this thread!

Greg

beeatnik
06-01-2018, 04:16 PM
^Being an outlier is so weird.

And congrats on the "self-control" and good health/fortune. You are blessed, sir.

GregL
06-01-2018, 04:19 PM
You are blessed, sir.
Couldn't agree more! I have been blessed with good health, great family and friends, and I really appreciate all I learn from the Paceline! Happy weekend, folks!

Greg

velotel
06-01-2018, 04:25 PM
An interesting post. I suspect that weight has a huge amount to do with life style, as in food and activities. Also a certain amount of luck perhaps, as in DNA. I'm a fraction under 6 ft and currently weight about 145 lbs, which is maybe 5 under what I weighed when I was 50 years younger (I'm 73). I doubt I've ever been much over 150 in all my life, maybe never. I don't really know because weight has never been anything I've paid attention to. Basically I don't eat all that much, and never have, but can definitely splurge on chips and salsa and a margarita or two when I'm stateside, but otherwise really have a diet that's rather moderate. And I've always been physically active, always, rock climbing, skiing, mountain biking, running, road biking, hiking, mountain climbing, always something, otherwise I go a bit bat crazy. Never had a desk job, never lived in a city, never even lived in the suburbs, other than when I was a kid at my parents', never been a big beer drinker (want weight, drink beer), damned little alcohol either (wine excluded, not alcohol anyway, just a sort of fruit juice, but good fruit juice!) so like I said I think it all really comes down to lifestyle. And luck. And a good bike.

OtayBW
06-01-2018, 04:51 PM
6 ft., 176 lb - ~10 to 15 lb above my fighting weight....

livingminimal
06-01-2018, 06:08 PM
6'4" 260.
My BF % is around 11%-12%. Not that high, for a normal human.
I'm built wide like a barn door.

clyde the point
06-01-2018, 08:05 PM
6'2" 240 or so. A bit of pork in the waist. Still finished the Hincapie Gran Fondo last year albeit in 6:30. Did not walk any of the climbs. Moving to Greenville may help me out. Better riding opportunities. More oxygen.

fa63
06-02-2018, 02:12 AM
I am just over 6', 230 lbs. I have struggled with my weight the whole way; the only times I wasn't overweight was when I was playing basketball three hours a day or riding 250 miles a week.

Another observation; I am in France right now, where it seems everyone is 175 lbs or less (despite a Patisserie around every corner). It kind of puts things in perspective; whereas in the US I see people of my height and weight everywhere. It is almost as if we have normalized being overweight.

R3awak3n
06-02-2018, 05:13 AM
I am just over 6', 230 lbs. I have struggled with my weight the whole way; the only times I wasn't overweight was when I was playing basketball three hours a day or riding 250 miles a week.

Another observation; I am in France right now, where it seems everyone is 175 lbs or less (despite a Patisserie around every corner). It kind of puts things in perspective; whereas in the US I see people of my height and weight everywhere. It is almost as if we have normalized being overweight.

Same in all of Europe. I just went home to Portugal for 2 weeks. Came back and thought I had gained weight (I ate whatever I wanted) and turns out I stayed the exactly same. I think its the quality of the ingredients, even in junk food.

And in the US depends on where you are. In NY people dont seem very overweight but go down to the south and I feel skinny compared to a lot of people

paredown
06-02-2018, 06:13 AM
Same in all of Europe. I just went home to Portugal for 2 weeks. Came back and thought I had gained weight (I ate whatever I wanted) and turns out I stayed the exactly same. I think its the quality of the ingredients, even in junk food.

And in the US depends on where you are. In NY people dont seem very overweight but go down to the south and I feel skinny compared to a lot of people

The number that was tossed out a couple of years ago is that the average New Yorker walks between 4 and 5 miles a day. Contrast that with the average couch potato!

I think you and fa63 hit on a second point--that has been getting a lot of interest--that we do tend to share attributes and attitudes with those with whom we live in close proximity with. It tends to be a chicken and egg conversation--do we cluster with like minded people who share similar attitudes about health and happiness for instance, or do we start to shape our own attitudes because of the influence of the people around us? It's probably a bit of both--but in New York it it less socially acceptable to be overweight--as it is in Europe.

One thing the Europeans tend to do a lot less of is snacking. But they will make exceptions--the Germans (with whom we lived for a while) make a big deal about the afternoon Kafe und Kochen--it is almost a religious rite. But in the grand scheme of things, it is likely 350 calories (slices are small and wonderful), eaten well before bedtime. It is a treat, plain and simple. The other insight (courtesy of my German teacher) is "Eat like a king in the morning, like a burgher at lunch and like a peasant at dinner." A good breakfast, moderate lunch and a light dinner.

Reading this thread made me realize that I have cut myself a lot of slack, if there are some of you that are the same weight that you were in High School.

I have been slowly putting on the pounds (more in the past 3 months since I have been not feeling well enough to exercise). Currently I'm about 5' 11" and 190 lbs vs my 140 lb racing weight and my 155-ish post racing after a bit of a late growth spurt and some muscle accumulation...

Imma going to try to take my own advice--snack less (and eat a piece of fruit or some veggies if I need a little nosh), limit my calorie intake after 8 pm, make treats truly special (and stop with the crap intake)--and of course get back on my bike.

fatsanta92
06-02-2018, 06:52 AM

I also think it has to do with portion sizes.

My family comes from Europe so we have a lot of old European dinnerware. Over time some has broken and we've gone to replace it with a similar look+brand but almost every piece is quite a bit larger in size than the original.

It's crazy.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2018, 09:21 AM

Greg

EB, EL, DL, RL
Eat Better
Eat Less
Drink Less
Ride Lots

:p

yakstone
06-02-2018, 01:54 PM
EB, EL, DL, RL

Eat Better

Eat Less

Drink Less

Ride Lots

:p

5’10
150lbs
Was 175 a handful of years ago and felt like crap.
Went to a “healthy eating” immersion for a week and learned a ton about food and eating habits coupled with physical activity/ exercise.
Knowing what you are eating and drinking is key, it’s a lifestyle change that is needed for lasting benefit.
Spend money now on high quality, nutrient dense foods and keep physical activity in your life or spend the last 20 years of your life in pain and misery like 80% of Americans do currently.
Nothing worth doing is easy.

93KgBike
06-02-2018, 02:11 PM
When I was 23, I was 6'2" 165#. Thirty years later, today, I'm 222#.

But what really bothers me is the ear-hair.

NHAero
06-02-2018, 02:49 PM
One of the most inspiring links I ever got from PL was Scott Cutshall's blog Large Fella on a Bike. He went from over 500 lbs to under 200,and the catalyzing event when he was in despair was seeing someone on a bike and deciding he was going to start biking. As someone previously said, one pedal revolution at a time. What some of you have accomplished is really impressive.

I recently visited a friend who is in her early 40s and has seriously struggled with her weight her whole life. I was amazed to see her - she was thin. She hasn't weighed what she weighs now since third grade. Her eating guide is a book called Bright Line Eating, and using it she has lost the weight and kept it off for over a year. She's not starving herself at all, her plateful of food is sizable, but what's on the menu is constrained. She brings her own food to social gatherings. My wife and I are curious to at least try this approach when we learn more of the details, as it's been such a profound change for our friend.

I'm not large - 5'8-1/2, about 150 - but closing in on 65 it's clear that the number of pounds can be the same as the muscle/fat ratio drops. I did a version of Whole30 for four weeks last fall and lost my little spare tire, but it came back quickly after the diet ended. Cutting out flour and sugar dropped most of what fuels my caloric excess, because I hardly drink alcohol (and when I do I can only handle one drink.) I eat pretty well during the work day because I bring my breakfast and lunch to work and no snacks! I'd like to lose the tire again and it would be fine to stay the same weight but I'd like to add some upper body muscle.

I'm not a doc or physiologist but I imagine middle aged people carrying 10-20 extra pounds who are riding 100 miles a week are healthier than the thin folks who don't exercise much.

zap
06-02-2018, 03:59 PM
Edit

But they will make exceptions--the Germans (with whom we lived for a while) make a big deal about the afternoon Kafe und Kochen--it is almost a religious rite. But in the grand scheme of things, it is likely 350 calories (slices are small and wonderful), eaten well before bedtime. It is a treat, plain and simple. The other insight (courtesy of my German teacher) is "Eat like a king in the morning, like a burgher at lunch and like a peasant at dinner." A good breakfast, moderate lunch and a .

Last time I visited my grandparents in Germany they offered coffee and cake in the afternoons. Since I was not exercising during that trip I could only eat so much and the second day I committed a sin.....I said no to coffee and cake. Can't do it and then go out for dinner two hours later.

My aunt and uncles thankfully get it.

I don't really watch my diet......except when I'm full that's it. If I don't cycle much I eat less. I'm around 7 pounds heavier than when I was racing in my early 20's and better for it. Both my parents are skinny so that probably helped.

On some rides the bigger gentlemen like to sprint. I'm game :banana:

zap
06-02-2018, 04:11 PM

m4rk540
06-02-2018, 06:30 PM
5’10

Spend money now on high quality, nutrient dense foods and keep physical activity in your life or spend the last 20 years of your life in pain and misery like 80% of Americans do currently.
Nothing worth doing is easy.

Or you could reincarnate as an Okinawan.

beeatnik
06-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Fernando Gaviria
Born 19 August 1994 (age 23)
La Ceja (Antioquia), Colombia
Height 5 ft 11 in
Weight 154 lb (looks 135)
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1743/41621927515_9cffde74dd_b.jpg

André Greipel
Nickname The Gorilla
Born 16 July 1982 (age 35)
Rostock, East Germany
Height 1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)
Weight 181 lb (looks 205)
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1741/42524169951_0c51631023_b.jpg

Greipel used to be listed at 165.

chwupper
06-02-2018, 07:36 PM
When I was 23, I was 6'2" 165#. Thirty years later, today, I'm 222#.

But what really bothers me is the ear-hair.

That and the nose hair. :no:

sw3759
06-03-2018, 01:49 AM
5'8" 151lbs..people I work with are surprised I weigh that they guess 130lbs for some reason,strange. but most of them are quite overweight though.
would like to get back below 145 before I go Colorado in august but in all honesty I just need a little more discipline.
was always super skinny kid 125lbs when I graduated HS and bugged me I never could gain any weight.not until started cycling then went up to 145 in a couple of years.

Kirk007
06-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Best luck to anyone trying to lose weight.

I am amazed at the stories of people claiming weight gains.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned gaining 40lbs in 2018.

3-400 calories a day is nothing. 700-800 isn't that much either. Choose a burger over a turkey sandwich; have some chips or a dish of ice cream or some cheese and nuts before dinner. 50 calories here and there add up quickly and while it can be quantity is can just as easily be food choices without increasing volume.

I'm 6'3" and currently 220, on my way (hopefully) to under 210 by August. I gain weight easily and used to lose it easily; a little harder now. Used to be if I was riding 6-8 hours a week I could eat anything I wanted and shed 6 pounds a month. Now at 60 if I ride that much my weight will stay under control or maybe drop a few pounds a month if I am eating really healthy and not drinking any alcoholic beverages. To lose faster than that I need to get to 10-14 hours of riding a week.

fmradio516
06-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Apologies if this has been brought up already, but I read recently that there is a science to when you lose a ton of weight quickly, then you gain it back easily.

Apparently, you need to set a goal weight and when you hit that weight, you need to stick to it as closely as possible for a year. So instead of your body wanting to go back to your old target weight, itll eventually set your newer, lower weight to the new target. I thought it was interesting..

R3awak3n
06-03-2018, 06:45 PM
Apologies if this has been brought up already, but I read recently that there is a science to when you lose a ton of weight quickly, then you gain it back easily.

Apparently, you need to set a goal weight and when you hit that weight, you need to stick to it as closely as possible for a year. So instead of your body wanting to go back to your old target weight, itll eventually set your newer, lower weight to the new target. I thought it was interesting..

this makes a lot of sense to me. I have lost weight and then gained it all back. Last time I lost weight it has stuck for over a couple of years so now I am around that number. I need to go down a bit more but at least I have been hoovering around this and not gaining back

Vientomas
06-03-2018, 07:03 PM
5ft 4in - 120 lbs for the past few years.

I was 165 lbs at my heaviest.

If my math is correct (it's always a bit suspect), I lost approximately 27% of my weight.

I had an injury that kept me off the bike for 8 months. I knew if I did not do something, I would ballon up so I made a significant dietary change. Almost no carbs, no beer, snacking during the day on meat, fruit and nuts and I don't eat if I'm not hungry.

bikinchris
06-03-2018, 07:20 PM

I disagree. I'll say it again. Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do work. Dieting (starving yourself) to lose weight, then going back to bad habits means, the weight comes right back. When you starve yourself your body DOES go into a mode where any extra calorie is stored for the next starvation period.

texbike
06-03-2018, 09:49 PM
I disagree. I'll say it again. Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do work. Dieting (starving yourself) to lose weight, then going back to bad habits means, the weight comes right back. When you starve yourself your body DOES go into a mode where any extra calorie is stored for the next starvation period.

^Completely agree!

I've stayed in the same 10 lb weight range for the last 20 years with a few, short-term deviations outside the norm. My issue is sugar and an addiction to sweet, processed foods. While I'm mostly happy with my typical weight range (155-165 @ 5'10"), it would be great to get rid of the extra gut that I've picked up from poor lifestyle choices. A lifestyle change is needed where the sweet cravings are ignored or directed to something else that could help reduce my levels of body fat. Perhaps not bringing crap food (pop tarts as an example) into our house would help... ;)

Texbike

booglebug
06-03-2018, 10:00 PM

Agree 100% have went form 192 to 171 this year with a lifestyle change not a diet! Have found that the last meal of the day is key for me. Fruit for breakfast, salad and yogurt for lunch and a very lite dinner has worked, allows me to still have a beer or two and snack on a few not so good things. The fruit and salad meals have been doing for a few years and like a lite breakfast and lunch anyway so not a change there, was piling it on at dinner and that kept the weight on, changed that and the weight started dropping. Can eat freely on the weekend as I tend to get more miles then to burn it off.

m4rk540
06-03-2018, 10:50 PM
Dieting (starving yourself) to lose weight, then going back to bad habits means, the weight comes right back. When you starve yourself your body DOES go into a mode where any extra calorie is stored for the next starvation period.

Don't call it a diet....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-hunger-gains-extreme-calorie-restriction-diet-shows-anti-aging-results/

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/pathways-underlying-benefits-calorie-restriction

Calorie restriction is the process of reducing food intake—typically by at least 30% from a normal diet—without malnutrition. Researchers have known since the 1930’s that this regimen, also referred to as dietary restriction, has numerous health benefits. It can extend the lifespan of yeast, worms, flies, and some mice. Calorie restriction can also improve tolerance to certain metabolic stresses to the body.

paredown
06-04-2018, 07:00 AM

Yes--this is the idea of the body having a 'set point' and that our calorie consumption is tied to that, so it is hard to lose weight without it creeping back up again.

It seems that brain injury (seriously!) interferes with this--as does gastric bypass surgery. It seems that exercise also has the effect of disrupting the cycle, or diet can reduce our weight but the boy will tend to yo-yo around a point.

There's a good discussion of it here:
http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/body-weight-set-point-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-know

Livestrong has a discussion of strategies to overcome the body's resistance--yes--it is a combination of calorie restriction, diet change and exercise, so life-style change:
https://www.livestrong.com/article/256965-how-to-lower-weight-set-point/

pdonk
06-04-2018, 02:45 PM
In the range of 6'3 and weigh about 208.

After a really bad ride yesterday, the desire to get back under 200 is high as it will be less to haul around.

Unfortunately, I am a stress eater and crave sweets and have a very stressful job at times so it is hard to have the needed self control to not eat or drink junk calories.

Also with a toddler am trying to set good food choice examples for her so she grows up well.

dumbod
06-05-2018, 04:07 PM
My last ftp test was at about 360 watts.

That puts me with some of the best climbers in the world except for one thing: they all weigh less than 60 kilos, I weigh 85 kilos.

Sigh.

Seramount
06-05-2018, 04:34 PM
probably the only person I know that isn't unhappy with their weight.

at 6' tall, mine stays consistently at 150 lbs.

have a pretty healthy diet, lots or organic vegetables / fruits with some animal protein and dairy thrown in.

have been doing the gluten-free thing for 5 yrs (it's a choice, not a medical necessity).

have two cocktails before dinner and ice cream and fresh fruit for dessert every nite.

for exercise, ride 25-40 miles and swim 1000 yards every day.

sure that regimen wouldn't work for a lot of people, but it does for me...

Joxster
06-05-2018, 06:03 PM
I'm nearly twice the man I used to be. My racing weight was 54kgs and I was 168cm tall, I need to get my back sorted and I'll be back to 168cm ;) but I now weigh in at 98kgs. My max weight was 130kgs but I reduced my carb intake to 50grms a day and dropped 32kgs in 6 weeks.

m4rk540
03-21-2019, 03:24 PM
First time under 200 since high school football. :banana:

HenryA
03-21-2019, 05:33 PM
First time under 200 since high school football. :banana:

You go!

Javaman
03-21-2019, 06:19 PM
I remember 20 years ago that I can pretty much eat whatever I want and still maintain my ideal weight (5'9", 165-170 lbs soaking wet). Now I am 198 lbs, same height (maybe a bit shorter) and have to be careful of what I eat. The heaviest I got was 210 lbs! I blamed this on being transfered to place not ideal for cycling...and lots of good cheap eats. :rolleyes:
Slowly getting back to being active and lose more so that can finally fit in those Rapha clothing that I bought.:):rolleyes:

KJMUNC
03-21-2019, 06:30 PM
I'm 6'3 and at one point raced pretty well at 165-170lbs, but that was 15yrs ago. Over the xmas break hat was basically one big eating and drinking fest (with no exercise) I hopped on a scale and was mortified to see it read 224. I committed myself to getting back under 200 before Paris Roubaix.

I'm down to 195 and still would like to rebaseline at 188 or so. I e got a couple weeks so it's possible but will be close. I travel for work every week so eating out is the norm and I keep a bike at the hotel, but riding is almost always a 430/5am wake up call so it's tough to do consistently.

Good luck to all those chasing goals.

johnniecakes
03-21-2019, 07:31 PM
6' even and 164lbs. Never fluctuate more than 5 pounds. When I started college in 1974 I was solid 142lbs. There should be a "tall and scrawny" department.

zambenini
03-21-2019, 07:42 PM
Having some goals now.... At 6'2" I have raced from the 160s as a beanpole, in the 180s as a rouleur, and in the 200s dfl. I hung it up a few years ago and have been doing the 190s-200s ice cream rider thing for a while but I am trying to get fit again (my 205ish bod now is more muscle than my previous one it's not all fat, at least not 100%)... anyway, I am Obsessed with two things: 1)SS MTB and since I'm a hoary old 34 year old fat grandpa man with kids of my own now, 2) taking as much lean muscle mass into my forties as possible.

This winter I started doing kettlebells, basic weights, squats, deadlifts etc., A few spirited mountain bike rides per week, plenty of baby trailer miles, etc. I am seeing results from a strength and fitness standpoint (still in the 200s, fluctuating over or under 205ish.)

I don't have a goal number (maybe that's the problem?) But I am still waiting on the six pack to emerge. Maybe I need to get hard about diet? I don't know what to do next. Probably high intensity training. I don't want to lose muscle but I also want to trim down still. I am ok with extra upper body mass as I am not a noodly bike racer anymore .

Any advice appreciated.

makoti
03-21-2019, 08:52 PM
5'9" 162.5, down from 166, aiming for 155-158 summer riding weight.

makoti
03-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Having some goals now.... At 6'2" I have raced from the 160s as a beanpole, in the 180s as a rouleur, and in the 200s dfl. I hung it up a few years ago and have been doing the 190s-200s ice cream rider thing for a while but I am trying to get fit again (my 205ish bod now is more muscle than my previous one it's not all fat, at least not 100%)... anyway, I am Obsessed with two things: 1)SS MTB and since I'm a hoary old 34 year old fat grandpa man with kids of my own now, 2) taking as much lean muscle mass into my forties as possible.

This winter I started doing kettlebells, basic weights, squats, deadlifts etc., A few spirited mountain bike rides per week, plenty of baby trailer miles, etc. I am seeing results from a strength and fitness standpoint (still in the 200s, fluctuating over or under 205ish.)

I don't have a goal number (maybe that's the problem?) But I am still waiting on the six pack to emerge. Maybe I need to get hard about diet? I don't know what to do next. Probably high intensity training. I don't want to lose muscle but I also want to trim down still. I am ok with extra upper body mass as I am not a noodly bike racer anymore .

Any advice appreciated.

As a friend pointed out, you can have rocks in your belly but you'll never see them covered with fat. It's diet to get those abs to pop.

XXtwindad
03-21-2019, 09:03 PM
As a friend pointed out, you can have rocks in your belly but you'll never see them covered with fat. It's diet to get those abs to pop.

Instead of the shallow rectus abdominis ("six pack") focus on your transverse abdominis (the deepest, most instrinsic ab muscles) which are fundamental to movement and help prevent injury.

Mikej
03-22-2019, 06:06 AM
Coming up on the old 5-0 I'm in at 155lbs 72" tall. Its a gift from God.
He forgot to grace me with wealth, however.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2019, 08:17 AM
Coming up on the old 5-0 I'm in at 155lbs 72" tall. Its a gift from God.
He forgot to grace me with wealth, however.

"You can get richer and thinner but ya can't get younger"
-anon
:)

benb
03-22-2019, 08:54 AM
I mentioned last year how I don't think I can eat the calories required to gain so much weight over the winter that people mention.

Definitely another winter went by without that changing. I peaked out at 6lbs higher than my lowest in-season weight, but that's only about 3lbs where I like to be for my average weight.

This was a tough winter.. I was sick a lot and missed almost 5 weeks between going on vacation & being stuck not biking & such due to stitches in my leg.

That vacation.. we were with my in-laws. They eat in a way that would get me to gain weight... I do indeed feel pretty sick after a day or two of it.

The amount of food that I feel comfortable eating & the types of food (healthy stuff, whole grains, vegetables, potatoes, rice, lean meats & fish, etc.. ) I feel comfortable eating just keep me from gaining weight.

Yah I can eat that greasy burger one in a while with a heavy beer and french fries, and i get that if I did that multiple times a week I might gain a bunch of weight, but that meal makes me feel off for a little while and controls how often I might eat it. That meal might give me the extra calories needed to have a 700-800 excesse of calories for the day but I just couldn't eat it regularly and end up gaining 20+ lbs or something. I probably actually put down way more beer calories than usual this winter as I ended up with the equivalent of about 3 cases of home brew that was definitely not low cal and I have about 4 pints left.

I think I could actually pig out and not feel sick more when I was younger than I can now. I would probably gain 10-15lbs of fat above race weight in the winter in my 20s... but even then, I'm 6'1", anytime I hit 180lbs my body starts screaming at me for less food and more exercise.

Red Tornado
03-22-2019, 09:36 AM
When I began riding I was 5'11" and bounced around in the 160-165 pound range. The guys I rode with jokingly called me a heavy rider, said I could get down to 150-155 if I wanted to. Didn't want to; enjoyed eating too much. Always ate what I considered sensible, lots of riding and a healthy metabolism allowed me to keep it there.
Fast forward to 28 years later, I'm now 5'10" and a wispy 215 pounds. Up from 175 two years ago, the last time I can remember having decent form/fitness. Several physical issues, some caused by who knows what and some caused by work stress, kept me more-or-less sidelined for about 20 months. Never thought I would gain an average of 5 pounds per month though!
Right now the first goal is to get under 200 by mid-to-late summer. After that, I'll set another goal. Be interesting to see how it goes.

rzthomas
03-22-2019, 12:31 PM
The lightest I ever was 157 pounds back in 2005 when I was racing and doing well on the road, plus was on my feet as a backserver at a restaurant. 5'11" in height.

I'm now at 168-170 and could stand to lose a few. I get pretty lean at 164. I also don't ride nearly as much as I used to (4-5 45-60 minute rides a week vs. 200+ mileage weeks 10 years ago), as a parent of two young kids and a crazy busy director-level job.

Drmojo
03-22-2019, 08:40 PM
Dude I ride with weighed 380
then
took up cycling whole um whole hog
now he races Cat 3
3 years in
he now weighs 190!
he lost half his body weight
and be is a great guy
a true inspiration
stretch marks are is biggest problem
I told him he should write a book

duff_duffy
03-22-2019, 08:56 PM
I was pushing 184 Jan. 1 and am now 148.6.....cut all sugar, dairy, and carbs and replaced with meat, fish and greens only, started to walk 1 hour at lunch. .5 hour run at night, and bike if warm. Trying to get to my high school weight of 145 within 2 weeks because of a greatest loser challenge I’m doing at work. I plan on putting weight back on just as quick at end of contest;) I miss dessert at night bad...if your struggling to lose weight starting a greatest loser challenge with competitive colleagues maybe the ticket.

oliver1850
03-23-2019, 12:00 AM
I am at least 15 lbs overweight, 5' 11" and 163 lbs. No muscle no matter how much manual labor I do. I would like to drop about 20 lbs. of fat and retain what little muscle I have.

Jimbo251
03-23-2019, 09:24 AM
I'm a fatty.
Life used to be much simpler, I commuted to work and was your average weekend racer: weighed about 139/140 lbs at 5'6".

Now at 55 I'm 155lbs and it's all in my gut. I'm basically only riding on the weekends now because of my demanding schedule/work. I'm unfit and remember being really fit, which bums me. I want to be fit, but quitting my job is not an option so it is what it is. My love of food and wine does not help.

At this point I'd be happy if I could just get back into the 140's.

XXtwindad
03-23-2019, 10:57 AM
I'm a fatty.
Life used to be much simpler, I commuted to work and was your average weekend racer: weighed about 139/140 lbs at 5'6".

Now at 55 I'm 155lbs and it's all in my gut. I'm basically only riding on the weekends now because of my demanding schedule/work. I'm unfit and remember being really fit, which bums me. I want to be fit, but quitting my job is not an option so it is what it is. My love of food and wine does not help.

At this point I'd be happy if I could just get back into the 140's.

This post really breaks my heart. In almost fifteen years as a personal trainer, I've seen this lament time after time. And, frankly, I've undergone a personal transformation as well.

When I first started out, I used to be much more judgemental about people's inability to get fit. I have since become more educated, and as a result, more compassionate.

The modern way of life has a detrimental effect on everyone. I think it's slowly killing us. And I don't think the solution is to train for a Spartan Race or a double century. I think it's too move consistently throughout the day.

Put another way, there is a difference between "movement" and "excercise." The former is inherent to us, and the latter is something we "do" as in "going to the gym." Focusing on everyday movement will have a profound effect on your fitness - much more than going to the gym. Or seeing a personal trainer.

Take the stairs whenever you can. Do five body weight squats an hour. Walk to lunch (or work if you can). Not only will you feel better, you'll have more energy, and be able to better regulate insulin levels. You'll also see a marked improvement in flexibility.

Yes, we are awash in junk food. People need to eat sensibly and use food as nourishment and sustenance. (Instead of a means of coping with anxiety, or depression, for example).

But the real fault lies with our way of life. Being sedentary (sitting) for ten hours a day is a recipe for disaster.

And that's not your fault. Or anyone else's.

T-Crush
03-23-2019, 11:01 AM
Let's get this back on track. 6' 4", 58 year old former college athlete currently hitting the scales at a robust 269. Was 290 right after Christmas and the proximity to the BIG 3-OH scared the hell out of me. Didn't make my doc happy either. I've been playing at getting in shape for over a decade, but made a couple of obvious changes this time -- Cut the alcohol, eliminated anything that resembled a dessert (and french fries), kept an eye on portions and try and exercise as much as possible (made it a priority as opposed to a hobby). A good friend suggested reading Younger Next Year, and while there's nothing in there that's revolutionary, this time the message spoke to me.

Feeling better, sleeping better and while I'm still first to the city limit sign only when I 'surprise' everyone on a downhill sprint, progress is being made. 240 by my birthday (November) is an intermediate goal and 220 by my 34th anniversary is the target (364 days away). We'll see from there.

Okay, you guys can get back to your "I'm 170, but feel like I should be 162, and BTW, do these bibs make me look fat?" conversation. Sheesh...

AngryScientist
03-23-2019, 11:04 AM
to add to the above:

one of my favorite quotes of all time:

"Know the difference between a problem, and an excuse"

That is not meant as a harsh statement, but one i try to live by.

Lots of times i'll skip a workout or the gym or whatever because i had a long day at work, i'm travelling, whatever.

the reality is that almost any of us can spare 20 - 30 minutes a day somewhere to sneak in some cardio, etc. hell, i surf the internet for a few hours every day it seems, there is always some "fat" to trim in our schedules to prioritize personal health.

do it jimbo!

(I'm talking to myself here too!)

bart998
03-23-2019, 03:48 PM
I'm 58 years old and 5'11." Until recently I weighed 225 lbs. Years of working long hours, grabbing fast food when I had the time, and general laziness had taken its toll. I decided last August to do something about it. I started riding more intently than I had since my racing days as a 20 year old. I also started a diet program that peeled the weight off. I reached my goal of 175 lbs. around Christmas. I now have my endurance and climbing back again... best of all, the doctor took me off blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes (type 2) meds... I'm med-free for the first time in years. I probably don't want to reach my old racing weight of 160 lbs, as it's too skinny, but very happy where I am now.
Make the change, it's worth it.

AngryScientist
03-23-2019, 03:52 PM
I'm 58 years old and 5'11." Until recently I weighed 225 lbs. Years of working long hours, grabbing fast food when I had the time, and general laziness had taken its toll. I decided last August to do something about it. I started riding more intently than I had since my racing days as a 20 year old. I also started a diet program that peeled the weight off. I reached my goal of 175 lbs. around Christmas. I now have my endurance and climbing back again... best of all, the doctor took me off blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes (type 2) meds... I'm med-free for the first time in years. I probably don't want to reach my old racing weight of 160 lbs, as it's too skinny, but very happy where I am now.
Make the change, it's worth it.

amazing!

very good work bart!

one question i have: when your doctor put you on the various meds, did he/she lay it out in plain english that you may be able to get off them if you lost some weight and got healthier?

bart998
03-23-2019, 04:41 PM
amazing!

very good work bart!

one question i have: when your doctor put you on the various meds, did he/she lay it out in plain english that you may be able to get off them if you lost some weight and got healthier?

No, my doctor just said I should lose weight. My family has a history of diabetes and I thought that I was stuck with it. But a friend of mine was able to get off his meds and that inspired me.

AngryScientist
03-23-2019, 05:28 PM
No, my doctor just said I should lose weight. My family has a history of diabetes and I thought that I was stuck with it. But a friend of mine was able to get off his meds and that inspired me.

great news bart. talk about a win-win situation!

i've heard this same type of success story from a few personal friends and family now. i wish doctors would promote weight loss and diet change as at least potential alternatives to drugs.

54ny77
03-23-2019, 05:32 PM
doc told me same thing, get my s&^! together or my life would be different.

duly noted and that was about 40 lbs ago this time last year. occasionally swing the lbs. a bit depending on work demands/travel/client stuff (it's hard to be "that guy" at dinner table on diet...), but am able to recalibrate and reset within a week or two.

great news bart. talk about a win-win situation!

i've heard this same type of success story from a few personal friends and family now. i wish doctors would promote weight loss and diet change as at least potential alternatives to drugs.

pobrien
03-23-2019, 07:36 PM
I find it shocking to walk down the isles of a supermarket and see row upon row of junk food. There are isles and isles of it. That is just plum crazy.

I have been a vegetarian for at least 30 years and am about 6' 3" now and around 185 pounds. Pretty much what I was back at university. I am 61 now.

I exercise at least six days a week for 1.5 hours per day or more depending on what I am doing. I make the time to do this and it is not always easy to do.

If we look back to what our ancestors of a few generations ago ate and what they did for work, we might find some pretty simple solutions to healthy living.

And staying away from those centre isles of the store, that is key too!

XXtwindad
03-23-2019, 08:22 PM
I find it shocking to walk down the isles of a supermarket and see row upon row of junk food. There are isles and isles of it. That is just plum crazy.

I have been a vegetarian for at least 30 years and am about 6' 3" now and around 185 pounds. Pretty much what I was back at university. I am 61 now.

I exercise at least six days a week for 1.5 hours per day or more depending on what I am doing. I make the time to do this and it is not always easy to do.

If we look back to what our ancestors of a few generations ago ate and what they did for work, we might find some pretty simple solutions to healthy living.

And staying away from those centre isles of the store, that is key too!

Kudos, Patrick. On the fitness and eating regimen. One of the best things you can do for the enironment is cut back on meat consumption. No real sweet tooth here, but I love me some carne asada ...

pobrien
03-23-2019, 09:51 PM
You are too kind XXtwindad!

I always felt bad eating animal meat or flesh and stopped once I had control over what I ate.

You are right about the impact of meat production on the environment. It is up to each person to decide what is best for them, not always an easy call.

I worked in Environmental Management in industry as I felt it was important for us to minimize our impact on the environment we inhabit.

fried bake
03-24-2019, 07:17 AM
6’ 203# with a recent history of cancer, exercise induced arrhythmia and abdominal blockage and I think I’m just figuring out now how food impacts my health. Four years ago when I lived in Orlando I weighed 190, rode 150 miles a week I thought I was healthy. However I was on four medications, including two that were diet related.

In February this year at 212# my lady and I began Whole 30 meal plan, within a week I was sleeping better, happier, had more energy and lost 3 lbs. Six weeks on, I have lost 9 lbs, and am now off two meds.

I’m healthier now than when I weighed 190 because I’m eating well and have energy to work and exercise with focus whereas I used to exercise to relieve stress and give me focus. In hindsight, I now realize that I had it backwards. The fuel you put in the engine is a bigger component than the energy you put in trying to make a bigger engine. The weight loss will come I’m certain, but get the diet right first. Alcohol, fried foods, sugar, processed foods are all the devil. As well, cooking and meal prep connects you with the food you consume in important ways that eating out or ordering in doesn’t, the rhythm of cooking is part of relaxation and meal prep reinforces the connection to the food as fuel paradigm that is essential to healthier eating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
03-24-2019, 07:29 AM
Let's get this back on track. 6' 4", 58 year old former college athlete currently hitting the scales at a robust 269. Was 290 right after Christmas and the proximity to the BIG 3-OH scared the hell out of me. Didn't make my doc happy either. I've been playing at getting in shape for over a decade, but made a couple of obvious changes this time -- Cut the alcohol, eliminated anything that resembled a dessert (and french fries), kept an eye on portions and try and exercise as much as possible (made it a priority as opposed to a hobby). A good friend suggested reading Younger Next Year, and while there's nothing in there that's revolutionary, this time the message spoke to me.

Feeling better, sleeping better and while I'm still first to the city limit sign only when I 'surprise' everyone on a downhill sprint, progress is being made. 240 by my birthday (November) is an intermediate goal and 220 by my 34th anniversary is the target (364 days away). We'll see from there.

Okay, you guys can get back to your "I'm 170, but feel like I should be 162, and BTW, do these bibs make me look fat?" conversation. Sheesh...

Yup..hammer toe and difficulty getting new shoes(at Wholesale$..yup) plus cold winter, and mannying a LOT..means 210 now..up about 9 pounds, which is less than I thought. BUT, at .68 of a century, realize consistency is key...eating, doing 'something' everyday I can..I guess I'll lose some weight but...the idea is to go ride(or something) cuz I like it, not cuz it makes me lose weight.
'Mechanical meditation'...:)

ghcs
03-24-2019, 08:43 PM
5'8" (on a good day).

When I was a bike messenger in my 20s I weighed 125-130.

At my heaviest in my 40s I weighed 175-180.

Now in my 50s I weigh 148 (as of Friday), down approx 15lbs since my post Christmas commitment to cooking my own meals instead of eating out 3-4 times a week, as well as a reduction in sugar & beer intake.