PDA

View Full Version : Stuck canti arm

Bud
10-20-2006, 08:43 PM
So has anyone ever had a canti stuck on the braze-on post? It rotates freely on the post, but it won't pull off the damn thing. (Yes, the bolt is out). I don't want to start beating on it, and I don't have a little gear puller type thing. Any ideas as to why it's stuck and what to do? :crap:

Brian Smith
10-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Yes, I've had that problem sometimes with canti brakes.
You have to get it off, but not to reuse it. Damage the arm if you must to get it off, but not the rest of your frame. The end of the perhaps too long canti stud has likely "mushroomed" over at the end, preventing the brake's bushing from sliding past it. You can remedy that once the arm is off with a file or some emery cloth, and you probably won't damage the brake either. Apply leverage carefully in the appropriate directions, spinning the arm while prying will probably help, and of course....PROTECT THE PAINT or other finish!

guyintense
10-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Sometimes a little heat, like a soldering iron, and a little cold, like a can of Super Cold from radio shack, and a little Marvel Mystery Oil, strategically placed will do wonders.

Bud
10-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Brian you nailed it. The post is a bit too long and mushroomed. It's tedious, but the file and prying is working- slowly. It's really hard to do without b1tching up the paint on the braze ons. :crap:

Now I need to find some cantis that will work on the fork for this outfit. It's not very wide, and my Avid shortys won't work up here (they do in the back). . .