PDA

View Full Version : Update for the two fat-tire road bike tours I’d proposed for September.

velotel
05-30-2018, 03:42 PM
In short, for those few who were interested, I’m canceling out. My wife had heart surgery to repair a valve and I can now see that her recovery to full form is going to be a longer affair than we hoped. Possibly even much longer but then again maybe it’ll all come together faster than we currently imagine. My time has become extremely busy between trips to the hospital, taking care of the house, taking care of animals, taking care of things for her that she can’t do at the moment, finding moments to ride, etc.

Time for the tours has in effect evaporated. Which is unfortunate because either one of the two tours would have pretty much blown away any who participated. Each consisted of seven days of beyond bucket list rides, the kinds of rides that I thought would be the dream rides of so many members of this forum. Given the muted response my interpretation of what forum members dreamed about riding apparently wasn’t correct. In the end just as well because with what is transpiring with my wife, I would have been forced to disappoint people.

Maybe next year. Or maybe not. Still not sure I want or need the hassles of putting these together. Just a crazy idea that I thought would light some soul fires in those who, like me, love riding fat-tire road bikes in beautiful places.

Pastashop
05-31-2018, 12:03 PM
Wishing her a speedy recovery! There’s a chance I’ll spend a bit of time abroad in the first half of 2019, and would love to connect for some riding!

572cv
05-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Hey Hank, our very best wishes to your Missus. Maybe her recovery will come together more quickly, but really, each recovers from interventions at her or his own speed. It's best to have time to let that recovery be as thorough as possible. Your rides would have been fabulous for any who tried them, but people I shared it with were tied up somehow or other. Silly excuses like weddings, or house purchases and such.

We'll be back in the Corezze in early August and then again in the Fall. Be well, keep the rubber side down.

cachagua
05-31-2018, 03:24 PM
If you do the same time next year I would really love to join in (provided I'm retired by then). If I retire sooner and have already relocated to your part of the world, I'll lend a hand and see if I can lighten the hassle-load on you.

The bike I'm building for my brother is part of his rehab after heart-valve repair. Best wishes for speedy recovery all around.

Most of all thanks for even entertaining the idea. You know you're a role model for a lot of us, just in the riding and writing you do, and your generosity in thinking of a way to let other people enjoy what you enjoy is another dimension of that.

velotel
06-01-2018, 03:28 AM
Wishing her a speedy recovery! There’s a chance I’ll spend a bit of time abroad in the first half of 2019, and would love to connect for some riding!
On the assumption I'll still be alive (and thus riding), why not.

Silly excuses like weddings, or house purchases and such.

We'll be back in the Corezze in early August and then again in the Fall. Be well, keep the rubber side down.
I mean really how could a marriage and stuff like that be more important than a great ride!!!! So I take it the deal is done in Corezze. Great riding land.

If you do the same time next year I would really love to join in (provided I'm retired by then). If I retire sooner and have already relocated to your part of the world, I'll lend a hand and see if I can lighten the hassle-load on you.

The bike I'm building for my brother is part of his rehab after heart-valve repair. Best wishes for speedy recovery all around.

Most of all thanks for even entertaining the idea. You know you're a role model for a lot of us, just in the riding and writing you do, and your generosity in thinking of a way to let other people enjoy what you enjoy is another dimension of that.
Well damn, after those words I guess I'll just have to plan on rescheduling for next September. Maybe by then I'll have even more options to toss into mix. Thanks so much for you thoughts, very much appreciated. And just for general info, retiring too early is a sort of oxymoron.

Cheers all

PaMtbRider
06-01-2018, 04:45 AM
I hope your wife has a quick and full recovery. Don't be discouraged by the lack of response to your suggested trips. I would bet it truly is a dream for many forum members. Unfortunately circumstances don't always allow us to fulfill our dreams.

choke
06-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Here's hoping that your wife is back to normal in nothing flat. She is certainly the priority.

I can understand that you were disappointed with the lack of interest. As some of the others have said, many of us might have wanted to go but couldn't for one reason or another.....I'm definitely on that list.

You know you're a role model for a lot of us, just in the riding and writing you do, and your generosity in thinking of a way to let other people enjoy what you enjoy is another dimension of that.Absolutely. :hello: