PDA

View Full Version : Do not mess with mama Moose

p nut
05-30-2018, 02:29 PM
https://youtu.be/Ch_o2DxAfwg

I’ve run into moose on the trail. Only one time where the calves were near by and she would not move. I turned around as quick as I could.

GregL
05-30-2018, 03:11 PM
Walked around a corner of a trail in Yellowstone to see a moose nursing her calf about 30 feet away. As quickly and quietly as I could, I backed away until well out of sight and earshot. Then I broke the world sprint record running back to the trailhead! Nothing like an ugly, angry deer that's big as a horse.

Greg

paredown
05-30-2018, 04:03 PM
I remember stopping to watch a big old moose feeding on water weeds from the water--at a safe distance.

First impression--they are big animals.

Second impression--they are not afraid of smallish humans at all...

Pearsom
05-30-2018, 04:30 PM
https://youtu.be/Ch_o2DxAfwg

I’ve run into moose on the trail. Only one time where the calves were near by and she would not move. I turned around as quick as I could.

You can almost see the cyclist doing the calculation --

"Can I outspint the moose? ... Nope."

Then plan B

"Roll over and play dead"

Not a bad strategy :rolleyes:

joosttx
05-30-2018, 04:48 PM
true story: when I worked as a wilderness ranger in the forest service month in college I had a very unique encounter with a moose....

I might of hiked up with a 22oz of Fat Tire beer in my pack. And might of drank it for lunch. And I might of taken a nap while on the job but the rest of the story is very true. When I awoke from my nap to a moose was standing over me. Fronts legs to my right hind legs to my left. I was quite scared.

sooshi
05-30-2018, 05:09 PM
I worked in Anchorage for a few years and rode this very path many times. More times than not there were moose along that path. Always had to have your head on a swivel especially this time of year when they've got their calves.

Between the moose and the brown bear encounters while mountain biking, it was almost as scary as riding the roads in the DC area when I lived there

bikinchris
05-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Moose are very dangerous. I don't know what people are thinking.
When we went to Denali, we heard of two people hurt by the same moose. One was a park worker who was surprised by the moose just as he walked around a corner to open the ranger station. She broke his ankle.
The other was a tourist who ran TOWARD the moose to take her photo. Luckily they were able to scare the moose away before she stomped her to death, but she did take the woman's ear off when she took her first try at stomping on her head.
When unprotected by a car, DO NOT EVER APPROACH A MOOSE. Even in a car, realise that you are likely to have it crash straight through your windshield.
So moose are very dangerous, especially a mother with calves. Tney are 7 feet tall, 1,400 pounds and mean as hell.

Louis
05-30-2018, 06:42 PM
If you're very brave, you can rub noses with the moose:

twangston73
05-30-2018, 06:55 PM
I live in Anchorage and have been on that and other moose-infested trails many times. I have never personally seen that type of aggression but always give them a wide berth.... though I am starting to wonder if it is wide enough!! And then there was the time I went mountain biking with friends only to see a picture of 4 browns bears walking nose to tail on the same trail on the front page of the paper!

merlinmurph
05-30-2018, 08:34 PM
Chimney Pond campground on Mt. Katahdin in Sept. Three of us sleeping in a lean-to. Sometime in the middle of the night, I wake to my buddy elbowing me very hard. ***? There's a moose about 5 feet away munching on some leaves on a tree. That's about as close as you'll get to one of these guys.

Really, I can't say W T F?

BryanE
05-30-2018, 09:03 PM
That video was out by JBER military base.
I rode the Tony Knowles MUT. Record was 9 moose in one ride.
Got charged by a young bull at Kincaid Park.
The pic is outside my condo back door.
It’s the last frontier.
I **** you not.

BryanE
05-30-2018, 09:10 PM
There 1300 moose inside the Anchorage city limits.
They wander busy streets at will.

BryanE
05-30-2018, 09:14 PM
This guy didn’t fall for the old, there’s a 1400 pound
moose behind you.

gdw
05-30-2018, 09:23 PM
Chimney Pond campground on Mt. Katahdin in Sept. Three of us sleeping in a lean-to. Sometime in the middle of the night, I wake to my buddy elbowing me very hard. ***? There's a moose about 5 feet away munching on some leaves on a tree. That's about as close as you'll get to one of these guys.

Really, I can't say W T F?

We passed within 20 feet of a mother with two calves while hiking to Katahdin one year. The calves were behind her and she never lifted her head or stopped eating as we walked by. I got a couple great pictures of her and two bulls further up the trail that were more cautious and further back in the trees.

p nut
05-31-2018, 01:12 PM
We passed within 20 feet of a mother with two calves while hiking to Katahdin one year. The calves were behind her and she never lifted her head or stopped eating as we walked by. I got a couple great pictures of her and two bulls further up the trail that were more cautious and further back in the trees.

Man, you are brave. I'd never get within 20 ft--they are fast!

gdw
05-31-2018, 02:17 PM
The moose in that area of Baxter State Park were used to seeing people daily and didn't consider us a threat. That said, we watched her for quite awhile before passing.