PDA

View Full Version : SMP Well vs Dynamic

teleguy57
05-30-2018, 12:52 PM
Anyone who is a regular Dynamic user try the SMP Well/Hell saddle? Looks like it's a lesser grade saddle from the price and cover material and likely with less firm padding, but I'm curious as it's a bit wider than the Dynamic.

I originally tried the Pro and settled on the Dynamic, but thinking maybe a hair wider might be better....

C50
05-30-2018, 05:25 PM
The biggest difference is going to be in the construction method of the saddles. The Dynamic uses the traditional hand made process with a leather cover if it is black or a Lorica if it is colored, a carbon reinforced nylon 12 shell and foamed elastomer padding. The Well (Hell is the old name, long story for the change) uses the same material for the shell but is built using a vacuum molded process with a soft Polyurethane padding material. Both are made in Italy using the same seat rails. The Well is going to feel softer than the Dynamic and ever so slightly wider at the back of the saddle. The Well is less expensive because of the manufacturing process and materials but you gain a bit of weight and will not get the same amount of miles out of the saddle. I cannot give you definitive answer as to the difference in life span because of individual riding differences, weight, conditions etc but what I would say is that if you are a 5-6 day a week rider the Well is good for a season or two while the Dynamic and other handmade saddles will hold up for many thousands and possibly tens of thousands of miles.

teleguy57
05-30-2018, 05:56 PM
I love this place! My first thought is "C50 seems pretty well informed" so for grins I look at your posts and find you worked for ISM and as of earlier this year are with SMP. Talk about expertise! And I appreciate that you provided factual info vs a promo-type message. Thank you C50.

Of course, now that I've seen some of your other posts that I had missed dealing with family stuff since my mom's passing at the end of April I have to investigate the Kryt3 saddle you mentioned...

Not that I needed to add to my options and complicate my decision process more:)

edit: aaargh, and now I see there is a Nymber too a mm wider and about 7mm shorter than the Dynamic.... wonder how that one would fit my butt....

C50
05-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Thank you, although I am not a very frequent poster I do enjoy the community here and when I do feel I can add something useful I try to keep it informational and not sound like I am posting just to sell something. I feel very fortunate that I have created a career in the bike industry or maybe I am not smart enough to get out and do something else?! You are correct, about a year ago I made the switch from my previous role to a position that was created for me and I couldn't be happier to be part of a 71 year family tradition and dedication to quality saddle making.

The Kryt3 is a shorter saddle that allows a lot of easy in and out of the saddle movement. If you are the type of rider that likes to be planted when in the saddle and rotate your hips instead of physically moving forward and back on the saddle it is a fabulous choice. The Nymber compared to the Dynamic will have a little bit "flatter" profile from one side to the other (left to right) and not to be confused with front to back. What is your height and waist size? Maybe a little bit about your riding preferences and I could make a suggestion.

mcteague
05-31-2018, 06:33 AM
C50,

I just got a Dynamic and am still in the middle of the "mating ritual" SMPs seem to require. From what Steve Hogg and Colby Pierce say, it takes quite a few rides for the nerves around your pelvic bones to get used to the pressure. Seems to be working out pretty well so far.

One odd question. I see in photos that a lot of people leave the tri-color ribbon (https://devilinadressdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/img_0775.jpg) attached to the seat rails. Why is that? Just a brand affectation thing? Also, I suppose you can use any, standard, leather treatment on the black Dynamic. I know SMP sells their own wipes but I already have several leather maintenance products already. Thanks, sorry for the slight thread drift.

Tim

oldpotatoe
05-31-2018, 07:17 AM
Thank you, although I am not a very frequent poster I do enjoy the community here and when I do feel I can add something useful I try to keep it informational and not sound like I am posting just to sell something. I feel very fortunate that I have created a career in the bike industry or maybe I am not smart enough to get out and do something else?! You are correct, about a year ago I made the switch from my previous role to a position that was created for me and I couldn't be happier to be part of a 71 year family tradition and dedication to quality saddle making.

The Kryt3 is a shorter saddle that allows a lot of easy in and out of the saddle movement. If you are the type of rider that likes to be planted when in the saddle and rotate your hips instead of physically moving forward and back on the saddle it is a fabulous choice. The Nymber compared to the Dynamic will have a little bit "flatter" profile from one side to the other (left to right) and not to be confused with front to back. What is your height and waist size? Maybe a little bit about your riding preferences and I could make a suggestion.

Say hello to GianLuca for me, from Peter, formerly of Vecchio's..:)

teleguy57
05-31-2018, 07:40 AM
Thanks, C50. I"ll PM you to continue the conversation about my question (there are so many other ways I could have said this but decided to avoid any attempt at humor that could have gone way wrong:eek:)

C50
05-31-2018, 09:26 AM
Leaving the ribbon on the back is nothing more than personal style choice. I will tell you that the commitment to make everything 100% in Italy is a very real and passionate component to the identity of Selle SMP and having that ribbon flying off the back of the saddle is a display of that commitment. If you love pasta, red wine and limoncello you can leave it on but if it interferes with tucking your saddle bag up under the saddle you can take it off and I won't yell at you. Just make sure you leave the logo at the back visible! :)

Gianluca is great to work with and I will definitely say hi for you Peter!

C50
05-31-2018, 02:24 PM
I failed to answer the question caring for the leather cover. I would say that if you already have good quality leather cleaning and care products you are good.