PDA

View Full Version : And another "help me with some bike options" thread

majl
05-30-2018, 12:29 PM
So here is what I am looking to do: consolidate my stable of road bikes from 3 down to 2. One primary lightweight "road-racing" bike and one back-up do-it-all winter/gravel/fendered bike that I can ride when the conditions sour, roads are wet, mix in rides on both pavement and dirt, and yet still be light and fast enough to hang with my buddies on road rides when they are on their sub-15 lb carbon wonder bikes.

I have the first bike taken care of - in fact I have two and plan to sell one; it's the the second bike I need help with. I currently have a Hampsten Crema as my winter/rain bike - it can run full fenders with 25s, and 32s in the summer. I have used it for gravel rides and light touring. My only issue is that it is not a light bike and for dirt, I am ready to make the switch to disc.

In reading through a number of threads here, there don't seem to be a lot of options for lightweight, carbon gravel bikes that can run big tires and yet still take full fenders. The Specialized S-Works Diverge comes to mind as fitting the bill, but it has that funky suspension in the steerer tube and is also spec'd with a 1x drivetrain, which although I could live with, would really prefer a traditional 2x set-up. The Haka MX also caught my eye but no capability for a full front fender??

So let me know if there are some options out there that I may have missed that I should be looking at. In terms of weight, ideally I would like for the bike to build up in the 18s complete with pedals and cages, assuming standard 25-28mm road tires. (This would be in a size L or 57-58).

So again, the main criteria:

- Disc brakes
- Full fender capability
- 18.xx lbs complete
- Up to 42mm tires on 700c wheels (47mm tires on 650b would be a nice bonus)
- 2x drivetrain preferred

TIA.

Mzilliox
05-30-2018, 12:34 PM
This sounds like something custom/boutique ready made Ti may be able to accomodate rather than carbon.

are you preferring off the shelf type bikes or are you open to more boutique builders? budgetish?

does it have to be 40mm? discs give you the option of 650b for the fatties and maybe something like 35mm 700c, unless you know you like riding 40mm 700c tires, in which case, carry on.

eddief
05-30-2018, 12:42 PM
and build it 2X?

Ken Robb
05-30-2018, 12:49 PM
If you forget about disc brakes the Rambouillet offered in the classifieds might make you very happy for a good price. It's a Riv 60cm but that's C-T.

AngryScientist
05-30-2018, 01:03 PM
serious question: why the big push to go from 3 bikes to two?

knowing what's available for gravel and offroad in the bay area and in easy driving access to, if i were you, my preference would be to have a dedicated road bike, a dedicated very capable gravel bike, and a back-up road, wet weather bike. trying to combine the last two will lead to compromises to either.

if you can manage to keep three, i think you'd be in better shape.

IMO, the ideal 3:

-Colnago C60 (substitute any good carbon race bike)
-zanc aluminum road 32 with fender mounts. (substitute another aluminum fender capable bike)
-moots Ti gravel bike. (substitute any other good Ti builders gravel bike)

majl
05-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Hey thx for the early replies.

A few comments:

- Doesn't have to be off-the-shelf - custom could be in the cards - the s-works diverge is $9K retail before the typical discounts that can be obtained. Firefly or Moots maybe?

- Yes I saw s-works diverge can be bought just as a frameset and can run a FD so thinking about that too

- Yeah 35s would be OK too. I just threw 42s out there since that seems to be the top end for width on 700c wheels on these type bikes. I am currently using my SV CX for most of my mixed terrain rides that are weighted towards dirt and running on 35mm knobbies.

- Riv is not a light bike so no thanks.

- re: number of bikes: I have too many other bikes - MTB and cross and just want to reduce the total number in the fleet. My garage is overly cramped.

ColonelJLloyd
05-30-2018, 01:11 PM
does it have to be 40mm? discs give you the option of 650b for the fatties and maybe something like 35mm 700c, unless you know you like riding 40mm 700c tires, in which case, carry on.

Unless you are getting a custom fork then it's sort of moot point as nearly all the carbon forks in this category will fit a 700x45 with a few listing 700x42 max. There are few exceptions that can be purchased separate (not as a frame/fork combo like the Ritchey Outback) and the only one I can think of right now is Wound Up.

Then you have the decision to make the rear triangle clear as big a tire as the fork will or not.

majl
05-30-2018, 01:14 PM
I would add that I live an area close to the coastal range so I always ride right out of my house and can be on the trails within 15 minutes, and also have access to some outstanding road rides right from my door to the coast. The road rides could easily be interspersed with some great trails (singletrack and/or fire road) if I had the right bike.

Lionel
05-30-2018, 01:17 PM
In the bay area I have the same setup you are looking at with one pure road bike and a gravel/do it all bike which I also use on the road. It is a Seven Evergreen Pro, mine does not take fenders but they can build one for you that does.

Hilltopperny
05-30-2018, 01:18 PM
I would look at the parlee chebacco for carbon and I had a no22 drifter built to accommodate fenders and racks. Also owned a Moots Routt and it was excellent as well.

My 54cm no22 is 19lbs all in with 35mm schwalbe g-one allroad tires and ultegra 8020 and doesn’t feel heavy while riding at all. It also rides great on and off road and is very responsive to input. It is one of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden!

The Chebacco is an excellent choice and will build up lighter. It is an excellent bike and I was impressed with it from the get go. I purchased it on ebay and it was just a bit too small for me.

The Moots Routt was buttery smooth and very plush riding. It had an excellent ride and a much more upright riding position than the other two. A great bike, but the no22 won out over the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lionel
05-30-2018, 01:19 PM
serious question: why the big push to go from 3 bikes to two?

knowing what's available for gravel and offroad in the bay area and in easy driving access to, if i were you, my preference would be to have a dedicated road bike, a dedicated very capable gravel bike, and a back-up road, wet weather bike. trying to combine the last two will lead to compromises to either.

if you can manage to keep three, i think you'd be in better shape.

IMO, the ideal 3:

-Colnago C60 (substitute any good carbon race bike)
-zanc aluminum road 32 with fender mounts. (substitute another aluminum fender capable bike)
-moots Ti gravel bike. (substitute any other good Ti builders gravel bike)

Nah, two is actually a better setup with the gravel bike used as a rain bike as well.

yinzerniner
05-30-2018, 01:23 PM

- Disc brakes
- Full fender capability
- 18.xx lbs complete

TIA.

Pretty sure the Norco Search XR is the one bike that suits all your needs, with the possible exception of weight as it might spec a bit heavier than 18lbs in stock config
-Discs
-2x Capable
-42 with fenders, 650b capable with larger tires
-Lots of added mounts, eyelets, etc for adding stuff on

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/04/norco-2018-search-xr-gravel-bike-review-carbon-versus-steel/

veloduffer
05-30-2018, 01:31 PM
The Trek Boone might fit the bill - it has hidden fender mounts and feature a fairly low bb height (6.8cm). My Boone with mostly Shimano 105 and Nox carbon wheels weighs at 17 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
05-30-2018, 01:38 PM
In the bay area I have the same setup you are looking at with one pure road bike and a gravel/do it all bike which I also use on the road. It is a Seven Evergreen Pro, mine does not take fenders but they can build one for you that does.

Having seen Lionel's Seven in the flesh, I could not recommend them more for this kinda thing.

Rob and crew will build exactly what you want, and the Evergreen is a killer bike.

Lionel
05-30-2018, 01:43 PM
Here, don't remember the weight but it's light. For sure below 19.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4434/36109361024_a033c54de0_h.jpg

duff_duffy
05-30-2018, 02:30 PM
That is a beauty of a Seven. How do you like the seatpost? Had my eyes on one and am trying to justify the cost for s nice comfortable post.

Here, don't remember the weight but it's light. For sure below 19.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4434/36109361024_a033c54de0_h.jpg

Lionel
05-30-2018, 02:31 PM
That is a beauty of a Seven. How do you like the seatpost? Had my eyes on one and am trying to justify the cost for s nice comfortable post.

The seatpost has been set and forget so far. So I like it!

Bob Ross
05-30-2018, 03:08 PM
- Disc brakes
- Full fender capability
- 18.xx lbs complete

Whoa. Yes please! Subbed.

R3awak3n
05-30-2018, 03:47 PM
what about an OPEN?

Oh fenders...

The hakka does take a front fender I think but its the enve fender which is not great.

you also have the litespeed gravel that takes all that.

ckorbey
05-30-2018, 03:47 PM
The OPEN UP hits all your criteria, shy of fenders (I think). I have two riding buddies on them – one with DA Di2 + XTR rear derailleur, the other with mechanical Ultegra. I've heard nothing but great feedback.

I just need to find taller riding buddies, so I can try one for myself...

majl
05-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Thx all for the inputs! Definitely some options I have not explored yet so have some homework to do.

I have grown so accustomed to riding with full fenders during the rainy saeson that I don't think I can ever go back to partial or no fenders so as nice as the OPEN UP appears to be, I will have to take a pass on it.

Lionel - as always - your bikes are lust-worthy. So yeah, custom Ti is something I will need to investigate.

greengage
05-30-2018, 06:18 PM
Mason Bokeh?

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/bokeh-bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weisan
05-30-2018, 06:31 PM
not all meet your criteria but you have a better chance of finding one that does on this list.

https://www.wtb.com/pages/road-plus

ROAD PLUS COMPATIBLE FRAMES
The following frames are compatible with WTB 650b x 47 Road Plus tires:

3T Exploro LTD & Team

All-City Space Horse Disc 49 / 52 / 55 / 58 / 61 sizes

Breezer Radar Pro

Breezer Radar Expert

Breezer Doppler

Bombtrack Hook EXT

Bombtrack Outlaw

Bombtrack Arise-2

Brodie Monster 2.0

Brodie Monster 1.0

Brodie Remo 650b

Brodie Romulus 650b

Brodie Tiber

Calfee Design Manta

Cannondale - CAADX

Cotic Escapade

Cotic Roadrat

Crosshill 500 | Lapierre Bikes

Crosshill 300 | Lapierre Bikes

Elephant Bikes NFE

Fairdale Rockitship

Jamis Nova Pro

Jamis Renegade (only compatible with aluminum and steel models)

Jones Bikes - Jones 29

Kona Sutra LTD

Kona Sutra

Kona Big Rove AL

Marin Cortina
Marin Four Corners
Marin Gestalt
Marin Lombard
Marin Nicasio
Masi CX

Masi CX Comp

Masi CXGR

Masi CXGR Supremo

Masi CXR Comp

Masi CXR Expert

Masi Strada Vita Uno

Masi Strada Vita Due

Masi Giramondo

Masi Speciale Randonneur

Miele Svelto GRT

Moots Routt 45

Niner RLT 9 STEEL

Ocean Air Cycles Rambler

OPEN Cycle U.P.

Pinnacle Lithium

Pinnacle Akrose

Pure Cycles Adventure

Pure Cycles Adventure Pro

Pure Cycles Urban Commuter

Raleigh Roker LTD

Raleigh Roker Comp

Raleigh Roker Sport

Raleigh Tamland 2

Raleigh Tamland 1

Rawland Ravn

Rivendell 2016/2017 Hunqapillar

Rivendell 2016/2017 Atlantis

Rivendell A Homer Hilsen 650

Rivendell Sam Hillborne 650

Rivendell Cheviot size 50 & 55

Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, size 52

Rivendell Clementine, size 52

Rodeo Labs Traildonkey 2.0

RONDO RUUT CF

RONDO RUUT AL

RONDO RUUT ST

RONDO HVRT CF

RONDO HVRT AL

RONDO HVRT ST

Shand Cycles Stoater

Shand Cycles Stoater Rohloff

Soma Wolverine

Soma Double Cross Disc

Soma Grand Randonneur

Sonder Camino

Specialized Sequoia

Stinner Frameworks - Refugio

Surly Disc Trucker – 26” Sizes

Surly Long Haul Trucker, 26” Sizes

Surly Straggler

Surly Straggler 650b

Twin Six Standard Ti Rando

Twin Six Standard Rando

Twin Six Standard Ti CX

Van Dessel A.D.D.

VPACE Bikes T1ST

Why Cycles R+

Mason Bokeh

Votec VRX Pro petrol

Weekender Archer

Weekender Drop

Weekender Nomad

killerrabbit
05-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Someone else mentioned the Norco Search; definitely worth a look. The pricing is very attractive, too.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/road/adventure/search-xr-carbon/

bicycletricycle
05-30-2018, 07:09 PM
I think that the twin six ti rando is a nice bike that sort of lives in this niche.

Toddtwenty2
05-30-2018, 07:13 PM
I enjoy mine quite a bit

owly
05-31-2018, 06:22 AM
For the price of a 9grand Diverge you could easily build up a spec'd frameset and hit 16lbs with wide tyres. My ti in 650x2.1 guise is 16.5 lbs.

Trail Donkey 2.0, Mason Bokeh, Holdsworth Mystique: a couple of frameset options.

My preferred frame material would be ti > carbon > alu to meet your riding intentions.

Bentley
05-31-2018, 09:59 AM
Hey thx for the early replies.

A few comments:

- Doesn't have to be off-the-shelf - custom could be in the cards - the s-works diverge is $9K retail before the typical discounts that can be obtained. Firefly or Moots maybe?

- Yes I saw s-works diverge can be bought just as a frameset and can run a FD so thinking about that too

- Yeah 35s would be OK too. I just threw 42s out there since that seems to be the top end for width on 700c wheels on these type bikes. I am currently using my SV CX for most of my mixed terrain rides that are weighted towards dirt and running on 35mm knobbies.

- Riv is not a light bike so no thanks.

- re: number of bikes: I have too many other bikes - MTB and cross and just want to reduce the total number in the fleet. My garage is overly cramped.

I would suggest you look at the Trek Boone if you want Carbon. I have a Crockett that is basically the same bike and it is a good ride, you can buy them Used for a decent price and I think it checks all the boxes.

I will add that I have seen a Domane ALR that had some 33 slicks on it that was pretty nice as well and its pretty light. Not sure if the 35 knobbies would work but I would check that out.

Ray

roguedog
09-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Bumping this thread...

Majl, wondering what you ended up with since this is also what I'm thinking. Though thinking of something a bit more road geo oriented that can take fenders and rack for commuting duty as well as b bike duty.

Was signed up to demo a santa cruz stigmata but shop messed up and sent bike elsewhere...

tuscanyswe
09-09-2019, 10:50 AM
This sounds like something custom/boutique ready made Ti may be able to accomodate rather than carbon.

are you preferring off the shelf type bikes or are you open to more boutique builders? budgetish?

Hmm

So how come the 35 700c is the limiter, why not 40mm and then even fatter 650? Or is there something going on beyond 35mm with 700c that influence the frame in a way i have not heard / thought of?

wc1934
09-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Or even the Seven Redsky - a bit less expensive but real nice.

weisan
09-09-2019, 12:33 PM
I seldom step into a bike shop. But when I did a few weeks ago to bring a bike in for trade in, I get to see the Trek Domane in flesh.

I think that bike was designed specifically with the OP's requirements in mind, down to the last detail.

Kirk007
09-09-2019, 01:23 PM
third the Seven evergreen or something similar (advantage with Seven is the quick turn around time). My Spectrum ti fits your description for the second bike (although not quite as much rear tire clearance as I wanted it more road than gravel). Designed by Tom, welded by Seven, it takes less than 10 minutes to install remove fenders (Enve GRD + PDW rear) and it truly could be a one and only bike.

I wouldn't mess around with carbon - fall over, scrape against a rock and now your thinking huh, is that scratch an issue? Do I need to find a shop that does carbon repair to evaluate? Or steel - Framesaver every year, paint chips to keep up with in a rainy environment. Bare ti is where its at for this type of bike.

Duende
09-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Another data point for consideration...

I settled on a single bike for road and gravel. I chose a gravel bike with closer to road geometry because I don't have a car, and often it's quite a few road miles to the trailhead. Also, the longer headtube and more upright position found in many gravel bikes.. just feels strange to me.

I live in the Bay Area... in a Mission flat to be specific. So I don't have space for bikes anyways. I did recently just purchase a second set of wheels, so I can have 38mm knobbies for gravel and 28mm slicks for road. I'm hoping that works out for me well.

If I were to get another bike.. I think I'd go for a mountain bike though. That's because my gravel/road bike is perfectly fine for the road rides I do (no serious racing). And the only tours/routes I find myself wanting to do (Arizona trail!!) calls for a MTB anyways...

Other than that.. I suggest you try before you buy. Lot's of builders out there to choose from.

pdmtong
09-09-2019, 04:44 PM
Bumping this thread...

Majl, wondering what you ended up with since this is also what I'm thinking. Though thinking of something a bit more road geo oriented that can take fenders and rack for commuting duty as well as b bike duty.

Was signed up to demo a santa cruz stigmata but shop messed up and sent bike elsewhere...

The OP is riding an Open UPPER ... Stigmata would have been a consideration had it been available at the time

roguedog
09-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Thanks, Pdmtong.

Hmm.. interesting choice.

I am leaning towards Ti or Steel but was intrigued by the Santa Cruz since they are local. Just wanted to see if carbon may somehow scratch an itch. To be honest, I was kinda relieved when Mike's Bikes shipped it elsewhere.

I have been looking at the Evergreen and the Red Sky .. as well as of course, framebuilders. Scratching my head a bit on Seven's pricing. It's like double that of a custom framebuilder but Lionel's and others exuberance over the Evergreen has me intrigued.

At this point, I'm leaning more to the roadish spectrum of "gravel" but I'd like at least ability to throw on fenders for the winter commutes. I can figure out how to carry my luggage if no rack mounts (I tested last winter with the Arkel Tailrider). Basically, in winter I carry extra clothes in case there's a downpour and sometimes I just need to carry "stuff" to and from work which is why I prefer rack. But need fenders or else I will have constant "freshman stripe" (this is what we used to call it in college) during the winter months.

All you Seven owners, specifically Red Sky or Evergreen, any reason why you went with Seven vs custom? Was it just turnaround time?

Lionel
09-10-2019, 02:20 AM
Thanks, Pdmtong.

I am leaning towards Ti or Steel but was intrigued by the Santa Cruz since they are local. Just wanted to see if carbon may somehow scratch an itch. To be honest, I was kinda relieved when Mike's Bikes shipped it elsewhere.

I have been looking at the Evergreen and the Red Sky .. as well as of course, framebuilders. Scratching my head a bit on Seven's pricing. It's like double that of a custom framebuilder but Lionel's and others exuberance over the Evergreen has me intrigued.

At this point, I'm leaning more to the roadish spectrum of "gravel" but I'd like at least ability to throw on fenders for the winter commutes. I can figure out how to carry my luggage if no rack mounts (I tested last winter with the Arkel Tailrider). Basically, in winter I carry extra clothes in case there's a downpour and sometimes I just need to carry "stuff" to and from work which is why I prefer rack. But need fenders or else I will have constant "freshman stripe" (this is what we used to call it in college) during the winter months.

All you Seven owners, specifically Red Sky or Evergreen, any reason why you went with Seven vs custom? Was it just turnaround time?

Seven is custom.

veloduffer
09-10-2019, 05:17 AM
Thanks, Pdmtong.

The prices for Seven Evergreen are for a complete build. I couldn’t find a frame set only price.

I like my Seven Evergreen S (cheapest model). Well made, stable and can take 700x40 tires. Very stable handling with just right amount of stiffness for climbing/accelerating as well as compliance. They also have stock sizes, besides custom, in small increments that can dial-in your fit.

Hilltopperny
09-10-2019, 05:34 AM
I have been through quite a few of this style bike over the past few years. The Stigmata is an excellent choice and a great ride along with the Parlee chebacco if you are looking at carbon, but not sure about rack and fender mounts?

I have also ridden the Moots Routt which is amazingly smooth and a great bike, but definitely more endurance oriented geometry.

My No22 drifter ended up winning out over all of them in the end. It is more road oriented geometry and was built with fender and rack mounts. It has enough snap and compliance for my needs at 220lbs and is an excellent all arounder. I have considered moving along the majority of my other bikes over the past month and picking up another wheelset for strictly road use.

The lead time right now for No22 is around 12 weeks if I am not mistaken and the customer service is top notch.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

roguedog
09-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Lionel, love your Evergreen. One of the bikes that made me perk up and take notice of Seven. I realize that Seven will do custom. I guess I should have clarified and said small or 1-person shop builders.

Veloduffer.. oooh. Man I thought those were frame or frameset prices. Thanks for that.

Hilltopperny - thanks for the summary of your journey. I love No22's work. Haven't ever had a chance to ride one though so your thoughts are appreciated.

Lionel
09-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Lionel, love your Evergreen. One of the bikes that made me perk up and take notice of Seven. I realize that Seven will do custom. I guess I should have clarified and said small or 1-person shop builders.

Yeah it is a good bike and I am done waiting 1 year or even 6 months for a frame.

tony_mm
09-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Yeah it is a good bike and I am done waiting 1 year or even 6 months for a frame.

One year is long indeed...but 6 months is ok IMHO. Just order it before the winter season and you will get it for the summer season then.

veloduffer
09-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Here’s my Seven Evergreen with Conti GP4000 tires for road. I just got some Maxxis 700x40 tires that I will mount tubeless. It’s a nice all-rounder. I think the weight is around 19 lbs.

https://johnz.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2971050604-5.jpg

My other gravel bike is a Trek Boone. More pics are on my gallery https://zenfolio.page.link/WMsf

scottcw2
09-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Another data point for consideration...

I settled on a single bike for road and gravel.

Maybe I missed it, but what single bike did you settle on?

John H.
09-10-2019, 04:53 PM
I like my Seven Evergreen with full fender mounts- https://www.instagram.com/p/BpPjPMJFEwH/

But there are many stock bikes with fender mounts nowadays. Argon 18 Dark Matter, Ibis Hakka MX, Norco, and a few others.

FWIW- I also have an Open. Don't get that if you really want fenders.

tony_mm
09-10-2019, 07:09 PM
FWIW- I also have an Open. Don't get that if you really want fenders.

Don’t get an Open U.P/ U.P.P.E.R...

Get an open WI.DE. More clearance and Open will soon release some specific fenders for the WI.DE [emoji112]

Duende
09-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Maybe I missed it, but what single bike did you settle on?

Mosaic GT-1 I’m no expert on modern bikes... as I haven’t ridden that many truth be told. But I can say I’ve beaten the hell out of this thing on the trails and it still still springs to action on pavement.

It’s super stiff but surprisingly doesn’t beat me up. Probably more bike than I deserve, but it had the feel I was after. Hugs the road... doesn’t handle like a shopping cart... simple design aesthetics. Admittedly knowing what worked for Houston here also was super helpful as he lives here in the bay too.

Tons of great bikes out there though for gravel these days. And the frame is only one part of the equation. Finding solid wheels, tires, AND BRAKES that actually work took some time too! :)

R3awak3n
09-10-2019, 08:24 PM
Don’t get an Open U.P/ U.P.P.E.R...

Get an open WI.DE. More clearance and Open will soon release some specific fenders for the WI.DE [emoji112]

but I think he wants 2x so WI.DE doesnt do that.

But also normal UP UPPER not so great with 2x it seems... at least with my experience so I would skip OPEN if you want 2x (they say GRX will work great but I would like to see it to belive it).

John H.
09-10-2019, 08:50 PM
UP and UPPER work great with 2x, I have run mine that way for almost 12 months.
My setup has been:
XTR 11-40 11 speed cassette.
Ultegra RX long cage model (DI2)
34-50 Dura-Ace 9000 chainrings- 1st on an Easton crankset with Power2max, more recently on SRM Origin
Dura-Ace 9150 front derailleur (DI2)
9170 Shifters

Recently changed to rear derailleur to GRX 817 (for DI2)- This is even better. No need to fine tune the clutch on the derailleur. No chain slap at all.

I run this same setup on my Seven- also works great.

But also normal UP UPPER not so great with 2x it seems... at least with my experience so I would skip OPEN if you want 2x (they say GRX will work great but I would like to see it to belive it).

tony_mm
09-10-2019, 08:57 PM

The OP wrote "2x preferred".

joosttx
09-10-2019, 09:07 PM
Admittedly knowing what worked for Houston here also was super helpful as he lives here in the bay too.
)

I just listen to what John Hunt says and then I usually do something different but eventually, I do what he says and he is right.... except for dropper posts.

R3awak3n
09-10-2019, 09:10 PM
UP and UPPER work great with 2x, I have run mine that way for almost 12 months.
My setup has been:
XTR 11-40 11 speed cassette.
Ultegra RX long cage model (DI2)
34-50 Dura-Ace 9000 chainrings- 1st on an Easton crankset with Power2max, more recently on SRM Origin
Dura-Ace 9150 front derailleur (DI2)
9170 Shifters

Recently changed to rear derailleur to GRX 817 (for DI2)- This is even better. No need to fine tune the clutch on the derailleur. No chain slap at all.

I run this same setup on my Seven- also works great.

maybe clutch RD does wonders. I have said on another thread. My campy has been a chain suck fest and a lot of other people have had problems with chainsuck as well on 2x. Maybe clutch RD is the answer though

Duende
09-10-2019, 09:19 PM
maybe clutch RD does wonders. I have said on another thread. My campy has been a chain suck fest and a lot of other people have had problems with chainsuck as well on 2x. Maybe clutch RD is the answer though

Curious, what’s your set up? Mines been completely fine. Running 50/34 up front and a 11-34 in the back. HO Record derailleur and Cranks

John H.
09-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Blame your Campy group, not the Open or the fact that it is 2x.

That said, I think a 1x with AXS Eagle rear and 10-50 cassette is a viable option.
Just need to run Hope brake calipers with it ;)

joosttx
09-10-2019, 10:06 PM

That said, I think a 1x with AXS Eagle rear and 10-50 cassette is a viable option.

This is what I’m think about doing.

R3awak3n
09-11-2019, 05:25 AM
Curious, what’s your set up? Mines been completely fine. Running 50/34 up front and a 11-34 in the back. HO Record derailleur and Cranks

Potenza hydro with easton crank up front. I tried a campy crank and would not work (not campy ho, just a regar chorus). The crank would not clear chianstay.

Ok... I actually heard from the OPEN guys who said a ton of people with ultegra 2x have chainsuck issues. So its not campy to blame. Maybe its not OPEN to blame either but there is a certain combo of that bike and some 2x systems that doesnt work great. Just because some people have had good experiences does not mean everyone has. I have never had issues like these on the many bikes I have setup.

I am just sharing my frustating experiences, I still think its a good bike and by all means OP buy one and put 2x on it.

Duende
09-11-2019, 12:59 PM
Potenza hydro with easton crank up front. I tried a campy crank and would not work (not campy ho, just a regar chorus). The crank would not clear chianstay.

Have you noticed any particular road condition when the chain suck happens?

R3awak3n
09-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Have you noticed any particular road condition when the chain suck happens?

not really. At first I thought it was only when it was muddy (first and second occurrence) but last few times it was on a nice dry day. I thought was just me for a while and thought maybe chainline on my particular setup but seems like others have problems too.

I tried, 3/4 cranks as well... The FSA crank was the best one but it still happened once. I am now switching to 1X and hoping I can finally ride this bike and not worry about this.