PDA

View Full Version : Cross country ride?

bigwheel
04-26-2004, 08:17 PM
My mental picture of a cross country bike trip was a bearded hippie pedaling some sort of a one man band looking contraption at the speed of snail, with a satisfied smile on his face because last night he ate baked beans out of a can in a soggy sleeping bag in the middle of a soaked campsite.

I didn't know that there were companies out there that would set up the entire trip complete with hotels, meals, support vehicles and vans that take your luggage from hotel to hotel. (www.abbike.com)

I am really interested in trying this type of adventure in a few years when my kids are old enough to spend a good chunk of the summer at grandma's. So I thought I would bring it to the bicycle think tank.

Has anyone out there tried this type of a journey? If so what company did you use and would you recommend them. Also, if it's not to personal, how much money did the entire trip cost?

Thanks for any advice.

TimD
04-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Try a subscription to "Adventure Cycling" magazine, see http://www.adventurecycling.org/ for details.

TimD

Willy
04-26-2004, 11:06 PM
I was going to take a sabatical after 30 years and go cross country with America by Bike but got shot down at work -instead I will be taking 3 weeks to go from San Francisco to Pueblo Colorado in a month. It sounds quite exciting but the training has been hard. Cost is a little under $3,000. Can't say much more until I get back though.

Ray
04-27-2004, 05:22 PM
I've done some sort of tour every summer, ranging in length from about four days to a few weeks. I've done unsupported, carry everything camping trips, fully supported hotel trips, somewhat supported camping trips (they carry your gear, but you still camp), dorm room trips, credit card tours where I carry my stuff but not that much stuff and stay in hotels. The whole gamut. It would be a tough call for a 2-3 month trip.

The upsides of a fully organized, hotel oriented trip are pretty obvious. The downside is one not to overlook, though - you ride to their schedule. Period. No negotiation. I can tell you that after a week or two on the bike, you may decide you need a day off TOMORROW - not four days from now. You may decide the weather is great so the 60 miles you had planned for today should turn into 90 instead. Or visa versa. You can't do that on one of those trips.

I personally think that would get really oppressive after a while. Carrying a relatively light load and staying in hotels most nights (but carrying a light sleeping bag and a bivy for the rare occasion when you get caught out) would be the way to go in my book. In a small group of friends preferably. A full camping trip is the utmost in independence, but riding a full-on touring bike with 40 extra pounds on board is an acquired taste that I never quite acquired.

There are tradeoffs to all of them. Know yourself and consider carefully. Or try some shorter trips of each type before you bite off something that long.

-Ray