PDA

View Full Version : HRMs, tubulars: I felt the need to

Mud
10-20-2006, 08:06 AM
follow up on a much earlier discussion about HRMs, calories and the like. Since our weekday riding has been curtailed by darkness we have been using the Computrainers. I had stated before that I felt that the calories burned on a Polar HRM were way too high since they only measure heart rate. If you don't believe me, leave the HR belt off, break your butt on a ride and you will find that no calories were used.

I had noticed last year that the HR did not seem to matter on the Computrainer since my ear clip would come off for long periods and it would not affect the calories burned. After the discussions and now from "astute scientific observation" I know the truth. It is all about power produced.

My average HR is considerable higher on the trainer since I cannot coast DH. My cadence is much higher, again since I cannot coast, and I am cranking for all I am worth since I am riding a SS road bike geared at 38/17.

For me, my guess is that the calories burned on a Polar is about twice actual. :crap:

The forum was very helpful to me in my battle with Conti tubular tires. I will not buy them again. Aside from the Deda Mondiale I put on the bike which was a breeze, I also bought an inexpensive Schwalbe which was also a breeze to put on the stretching rim and will be my spare when I ride tomorrow.

My next major decision is whether to pre-glue the spare tires. Any thoughts?

bostondrunk
10-20-2006, 08:31 AM
follow up on a much earlier discussion about HRMs, calories and the like. Since our weekday riding has been curtailed by darkness we have been using the Computrainers. I had stated before that I felt that the calories burned on a Polar HRM were way too high since they only measure heart rate. If you don't believe me, leave the HR belt off, break your butt on a ride and you will find that no calories were used.

I had noticed last year that the HR did not seem to matter on the Computrainer since my ear clip would come off for long periods and it would not affect the calories burned. After the discussions and now from "astute scientific observation" I know the truth. It is all about power produced.

My average HR is considerable higher on the trainer since I cannot coast DH. My cadence is much higher, again since I cannot coast, and I am cranking for all I am worth since I am riding a SS road bike geared at 38/17.

For me, my guess is that the calories burned on a Polar is about twice actual. :crap:

The forum was very helpful to me in my battle with Conti tubular tires. I will not buy them again. Aside from the Deda Mondiale I put on the bike which was a breeze, I also bought an inexpensive Schwalbe which was also a breeze to put on the stretching rim and will be my spare when I ride tomorrow.

My next major decision is whether to pre-glue the spare tires. Any thoughts?

So, umm..you offering a sweet deal on some 'used' conti tubies? :rolleyes:

Grant McLean
10-20-2006, 09:09 AM

Another factor that raises your heart rate indoors is the heat. It's difficult
for the body to cool itself without the evaporation of sweat (since you're not
moving when you ride inside) Your body responds to the heat with an
elevated heart rate. I'm not 100% sure of the effect of this on calories burned.
That fact that the heart is actually pumping at that rate should have some
effect on the calories burned.

see more:
http://sportsci.org/encyc/heataccl/heataccl.html

g

Mud
10-20-2006, 09:22 AM
fan trying to cool us off. Grant, all I am doing is observing. I know how hard we work on a ride. The trainer is harder by far because there is no let up with pedaling yet the calories burned are lower on the trainer.

BD, sorry, both Contis suffered from the tape being broken in two places. Maybe defective, maybe my ineptitude. But they are gone. Had I known that you wanted them I would have gladly given them to you.

Bruce

Big Dan
10-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Sorry to hear that your Continentals didn't work out.... :(