PDA

View Full Version : Let's Start a Fresh GIRO Stage 20 Discussion

fignon's barber
05-26-2018, 05:48 AM
Ok, I just popped out of bed because I'm eagerly awaiting this stage that will decide the Giro. I don't really think any more can be added to the dope talk. So let's enjoy the spectacle.

ultraman6970
05-26-2018, 05:58 AM
Average speed is high, 1st climb coming, lot of dead bodies to come. Sky will turn the screws again.

weisan
05-26-2018, 06:02 AM
If you know a live feed link that works in the US, please post it here.
Thank you.

ultraman6970
05-26-2018, 06:02 AM
Tiz cycling...

paredown
05-26-2018, 06:13 AM
Tiz cycling...
I like going to the main site first
http://tiz-cycling.racing/

Then opening the live link from there..

Fireworks have already started--big bunch off the front but the peleton is keeping the leash short--more climbing today than yesterday, and they just hit the first big climb, and riders are being spit out the back. Should be more great racing.

weisan
05-26-2018, 06:15 AM
Thank you ultra/pare pal.

The YouTube link that fignon pal sent out yesterday worked really well, wondering if there's another one like it out there. The old one had expired.

I am going out for a ride soon, will miss the live coverage, this is more for the pals staying home and watching.

fignon's barber
05-26-2018, 06:22 AM
Thank you ultra/pare pal.

The YouTube link that fignon pal sent out yesterday worked really well, wondering if there's another one like it out there. The old one had expired.

I am going out for a ride soon, will miss the live coverage, this is more for the pals staying home and watching.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5GvrZf6LgQ

oldpotatoe
05-26-2018, 07:05 AM
Don't remember when it's been this close..gonna be fun to watch
Mazel Tov again!!
http://playern.sport5.co.il/vidclean/sportsvid/player.html?clipId=live3&Type=vod&ShowRecommended=false&folder_id=2911&ShowAdvertisement=False&Taboola=True&useAkamai=true&BrandedSkin=wobi

Climb01742
05-26-2018, 07:20 AM
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5GvrZf6LgQ

Mille grazie

ultraman6970
05-26-2018, 07:29 AM
And another one bites the dust.

fignon's barber
05-26-2018, 07:30 AM
Pinot spent from yesterday's exertion. Yates at the back. Riders really showing the effects of 3 weeks.

Avispa
05-26-2018, 08:05 AM
If you know a live feed link that works in the US, please post it here.

Thank you.

For those of you that can’t find a live feed, the Tour Tracker App is a great alternative... it follows the race live and has all kinds of information.
The paid version, after a trial version of several days, is only $3 bucks or so (cheaper option) and the money is used for a good cause.

My take is this:
Froome has the team and capability to sit on anyone’s wheel and let them do their work... side by side I do not think Sunweb has the team to match Sky and TD is still a young developing rider in comparison with Froome.
I see TD winning the Tour and the Vuelta, but not in another couple of years...

The standings will remain the same unless there’s a disaster like Yates yesterday. And the others are just too far behind Froome and TD.

It’s been consistently nasty weather where I live, so great time to visit and post at The Paceline!

Cheers!

Seamus
05-26-2018, 08:14 AM
I can concur with the Tour Tracker app. It's great and worth the $3 for the time gaps, course profile with groups live-tracked, etc for the grand tours.

ultraman6970
05-26-2018, 08:22 AM
Pfff....

Lovetoclimb
05-26-2018, 09:17 AM
Who has a pitchfork to loan me!? When/where is the angry mob meeting!?

Some great efforts by Dumo today, I really thought he could do it, but alas Froome and Pouls are basically untouchable in the mountains. I certainly hope this edition of the Giro does not end up with an asterisk next to it in the future.

fignon's barber
05-26-2018, 09:18 AM
Hope Pinot gets home before the Tour de France. Everyone looks ground into the road after this one.

cadence90
05-26-2018, 12:29 PM
.... ..

ultraman6970
05-26-2018, 05:05 PM
Would be funny that TD attacks tomorrow right when sky is drinking champagne middle stage and get a minute off sky :D

Technically last day of racing is tomorrow :P

MattTuck
05-26-2018, 11:28 PM
Would be funny that TD attacks tomorrow right when sky is drinking champagne middle stage and get a minute off sky :D

Technically last day of racing is tomorrow :P

This giro had a bit of everything! Despite the meager amount of TT kilometers, I enjoyed it.

I felt the racing in the mountains was spirited, tactical and fun to watch.

I thought Froome was done after the first couple weeks. Guess that is why I'm not a DS. Dumoulin did a pretty incredible race to finish less than a minute behind Froome, on a course that was heavily tilted to favor climbers. c'mon... the dude wore the WC stripes during the TT. Good for him. I truly hope the right route comes along and he can contend for the tour some time soon.

Avispa
05-27-2018, 09:22 AM
From a spectacle point of view, it has been a great Giro. I think the idea of bringing the race to Israel was a good one, but the organizers and the people with the cash behind it, missed a great opportunity to showcase the country. Racing on highways doesn't do anything for tourism and real cycling. Many of my Israeli friends mentioned they could not believe the organizers decided not to use many of the roads where people actually ride over there... but let's hope this is a start, and bringing the Giro there will do the same great things the Tour of California has done for that State. Like Dubai, Qatar and others have done, they need to get a Tour of Israel going!

The Giro this year was a great demonstration of the maturity of a rider vs the young and inexperienced (and I mean the maturity and/or youth of a rider and his team). During the whole race, I could not believe Yates was going to pull it off. The guy, like TD has a few of years of racing before he can become a top of the 3 Grand Tours contender. The Giro, Vuelta and Tour are not a week long race... These races require formidable physical, mental and team preparations... This is also one reason I keep saying to people to stop cheering so loud for Bernal at the moment! The kid just started racing, so to speak and it’s too early to say he is "the next Froome"...

I just have to sit and wait to see how the rest of the season will unfold.... There are still a lot of very good riders that did not participated in the Giro, which will make the Tour a very exciting race to watch this year.

1) Sky: is still in limbo as to Froome doing the Tour, let's see what joke comes out of that situation. But if Froome (and not Geraint Thomas), is the Capitain of the team in the Tour, you can bet we may see the same person on the podium again.
2) Movistar: they are not going to send the boy scouts they sent to the Giro, but still Nairo can't TT at the level of the bigger guys.
3) EF/Drapac: I am actually very impressed at the caliber and consistency of this team, given all the uncertainty and sponsorship problems they had at the end of last year. I do not think Uran will win the Tour, even if he has improved in the TT.
4) Bahrain: Vincenzo has a good shot at it. Remember the last time the Tour went through cobbles? everyone had falls and bruises... But Nibali was on top. If any grand Tour type rider can ride the cobbles, Nibali surely can.
5) AG2R: They also have a great team with Bardet, etc. But Montaguti will be too tired to help out. Remember Bardet did well at Strade Bianche, but that race ain't cobble stones.

The rest of the teams will have just stage contenders and I can see Sagan with Bora battle it out with Quick-Step for the Green Jersey. Canvendish will fall and abandon (taking a few riders down with him) way before the cobble stones... I could see Richie Porte podium if he keeps his cards close to home.

My predictions for the Tour are:

1-Sky with Froome (if they let him race again)
2-AG2R with Bardet
3-Movistar with Valverde
4-Bahrain with Nibali

Otherwise:

1-AG2R with Bardet
2-Bahrain with Nibali
3-Movistar with Valverde
4-EF/Drapac with Uran

Vive la France!

rnhood
05-27-2018, 09:45 AM
Good summary and I agree. It was a very good Giro and we got to watch a mature and strong rider take the young ones to school. A good team of course helps, and Sky is a good team - in just about all the races they enter.