PDA

View Full Version : Lace up Road Shoes - Wide Fit

hainy
05-24-2018, 08:05 PM
I am in the market for new road shoes and like the idea of trying lace ups as most of the modern closure systems seem to disagree with the top of my feet. My fore foot is 105mm wide so I don't fit most standard shoes. Anyone with wide / hv feet had success with a lace up option.

Cheers

Hainy

ColonelJLloyd
05-24-2018, 08:13 PM
Lake CX-1 and CX-1 Carbon both come in wide.

FWIW, I wear wides in most shoes except for size 45 Birk Londons, wear 11.5E in the wider AE lasts (65 is a no go), all my boots are W, my old Lake MX175 were wide models, BUT I read that the MX237 (not a road shoe) had a wider last (Competition) than most of their other models so I tried the regular width and it fits great. I think the normal width CX-1 uses the Competition last as well. I need a wide ball and toe box, but no additional heel width and I am really happy to have learned of the Competition last from Lake. Kangaroo leather FTW.

That said, I really dig the double BOA setup.

Wolfman
05-24-2018, 09:17 PM
Unexpectedly, the Italian Vittoria 1976 EVO is a great fit for me. I can't even fit into Sidis usually, but there's lots of toe room on mine.

They have a wide version, too.

Hakkalugi
05-24-2018, 10:50 PM
I’ve been surprised at how much I like the Giro Empire and Grinduro shoes. I know they’re marketed as being narrow, but my 105mm wide/high instep/narrow heel feet have been happy. I went up one size, and once I got the laces settled I only open the top two grommets.

Spaghetti Legs
05-25-2018, 06:38 AM
I got a pair of Giro Republic LX for my cross riding and the fit much more roomy than my Sidi road shoes.

metalheart
05-25-2018, 08:51 AM
I have a pair of the Bontrager Classique lace-up shoes that have, sadly, been discontinued. They have a stiffer carbon sole, synthetic uppers, and a good lace retention arrangement and they fit nicely in the toe box. I prefer synthetic leather because I think they may be more comfortable for warm weather riding.

I have tried on a few other lace-ups, including the Specialized Sub 6, Dromartis, and some version of the Giro, but not were as comfortable in the toe box as the Bontragers.

I'm thinking of trying Quoc Phams. The aesthetics of the Lake's do not work for me. The Vittorias are another possibility, although i prefer the aesthetics of the Quoc Phams.

The Giro SLX are on sale now, so I might revisit them in a half size larger than I usually wear to see if that helps with overall comfort.

hainy
05-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your advise. I will start trying some on. My first choice is the Lake CX237 wide in 43.5. My usual shoe size is 44 and currently wear the Sidi Mega that aren't wide enough. The Lakes are wider then the sidis even at half a size smaller.

Will keep exploring some of other lace up options mentioned in wide fit. I disagree with buy shoes that are a size or 2 bigger just to get the room you need in width. It creates other problems.

Cheers Hainy

ultraman6970
05-25-2018, 06:54 PM
I do agree, you go bigger just to get the wide you need you end up having problems with the heel retention or the instep and the best one, the arch is in the wrong place.

THe cx237 is nice the cx218 is cheaper and comes in carbon aswell just in case. I have a pair of those aswell.