PDA

View Full Version : Dear Sir or Madam,

johnmdesigner
05-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Dear Sir or Madam,

Enclosed please find the Joule 2.0 head from my Cycle Ops Phantom trainer. This has worked adequately until recently when I attempted to upgrade the software. The unit then froze with the warning “Waiting for Upgrade, do not disconnect.”
I have waited and waited. I have spent countless hours in chat rooms trying to make this work. I have sent emails pleading for help. Finally in a fit of rage I attacked it with a hammer. My compliments to the case designer – I could not break it. I did manage to eliminate the “Waiting for Upgrade” warning though.
I wanted you to have it. Perhaps you can take it back to your designers and show them what a terrible piece of **** they have created. I cannot even find a replacement on Ebay. Obviously I am not the only one who has been screwed (the chat rooms are full of unhappy customers).
Now I have a worthless, stupid indoor trainer and an injured hand from my violent escapade. I do however have the satisfaction that you now are in possession of your wonderful “Made in America” product (postage at my expense). Serenity now.

Sincerely Yours,

54ny77
05-23-2018, 11:42 PM
Solid.

Was there a lithium batter in there by chance?

By the way, have you ever smashed a lithium battery (a standalone battery)?

Now that's an adventure. Especially when it heats up dramatically post-smashing, and then you toss it in a Home Depot homer bucket filled with water (thinking that's a safer alternative vs. putting right in to trash).

weaponsgrade
05-23-2018, 11:46 PM
LOL, I think you should go Office Space Printer on it.

fiamme red
05-23-2018, 11:49 PM
You should have bought a Hammer instead. ;)

https://www.rei.com/product/109735/cycleops-the-hammer-bike-trainer

Bruce K
05-24-2018, 04:14 AM
I might have one of these lying around somewhere if you’d like to try again....

I may get even have the newer version of the Joule if it would be compatible....

PM me when your hand is better:cool:

BK

Black Dog
05-24-2018, 05:33 AM
LOL, I think you should go Office Space Printer on it.

PC Load letter....

Marc40a
05-24-2018, 05:47 AM
Solid.

Was there a lithium batter in there by chance?

By the way, have you ever smashed a lithium battery (a standalone battery)?

Now that's an adventure. Especially when it heats up dramatically post-smashing, and then you toss it in a Home Depot homer bucket filled with water (thinking that's a safer alternative vs. putting right in to trash).

Then you disposed of it properly by taking it to a local E-Waste dropoff or at a business that accepts old batteries, I hope.

Spaghetti Legs
05-24-2018, 07:56 AM
Object of that size, it feels better to do the self-toss home run swing with aluminum baseball bat. It’s more majestic.

Climb01742
05-24-2018, 08:08 AM
Object of that size, it feels better to do the self-toss home run swing with aluminum baseball bat. It’s more majestic.

Ever hit a golf ball with a wooden baseball bat? Man, those puppies fly!;):)

johnmdesigner
05-24-2018, 08:11 AM

I really wanted to do a William Burroughs inspired toss with a clay pidgeon arm and a 12 gauge but alas I live in NYC.

jruhlen1980
05-24-2018, 09:12 AM
I really wanted to do a William Burroughs inspired toss with a clay pidgeon arm and a 12 gauge but alas I live in NYC.

Probably safer for your wife.

Climb01742
05-24-2018, 09:32 AM

William Burroughs is always a risky role model.;)

Spaghetti Legs
05-24-2018, 10:39 AM

Oh yeah, when I was a kid we’d play pick up baseball games in the local high school field and afterwards would hit golf balls and practice our bat flip and home run trots!

tctyres
05-24-2018, 11:42 AM
Send it to the hydraulic press channel guy:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcMDMoNu66_1Hwi5-MeiQgw

johnmdesigner
05-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Probably safer for your wife.

Poor Joan. What a way to go.

Avispa
05-24-2018, 12:16 PM
I have a Joule 3.0 on my IC400 indoor bike and decided to start using an iPad with the Rouvy app installed on it. I generally react just a tiny, itty, bitty nastier than you when I get personal with my equipment, so I decided to avoid this.

So, now that you are a more calm individual, may I ask, does your Cycle Ops Phantom trainer works with ANT+ ? If it does, you may be in luck by using an ANT dongle on your phone and one of these apps that are out there. Many of them are way better and get updated frequently. But sorry, many of them are not made in America.

Yours truly,
Robert Bruce Banner

Salty
05-24-2018, 12:34 PM
This reminds me of the book "Letters from a Nut."

Well played.

johnmdesigner
05-24-2018, 06:55 PM
I have a Joule 3.0 on my IC400 indoor bike and decided to start using an iPad with the Rouvy app installed on it. I generally react just a tiny, itty, bitty nastier than you when I get personal with my equipment, so I decided to avoid this.

So, now that you are a more calm individual, may I ask, does your Cycle Ops Phantom trainer works with ANT+ ? If it does, you may be in luck by using an ANT dongle on your phone and one of these apps that are out there. Many of them are way better and get updated frequently. But sorry, many of them are not made in America.

Yours truly,
Robert Bruce Banner

Yes it does.
Thank you for the excellent suggestion.

colker
05-24-2018, 07:03 PM
william burroughs is always a risky role model.;)

lol.

Avispa
05-25-2018, 11:50 PM
Yes it does.
Thank you for the excellent suggestion.

Your welcome! Actually, some of these apps I mentioned even have a free subscription mode. That is how I am currently using the Rouvy app.
Zwift is also great, but a bit more than many of us would want or need. Here is a better list:
https://www.cycleops.com/virtualtraining/overview

For the ANT+ dongle I am using the Wahoo Fitness one:
https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/accessories/wahoo-key-16
I am even using an old 3rd generation iPad and the IC400 CycleOps bike I have works great. Beats the crap out of using the Joule!

Good luck!

johnmdesigner
05-26-2018, 07:07 AM
Your welcome! Actually, some of these apps I mentioned even have a free subscription mode. That is how I am currently using the Rouvy app.
Zwift is also great, but a bit more than many of us would want or need. Here is a better list:
https://www.cycleops.com/virtualtraining/overview

For the ANT+ dongle I am using the Wahoo Fitness one:
https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/accessories/wahoo-key-16
I am even using an old 3rd generation iPad and the IC400 CycleOps bike I have works great. Beats the crap out of using the Joule!

Good luck!

Dongle ordered. Time to join the 21st century.
I'll let you know how it works out.

Bruce K
05-26-2018, 10:47 AM
OK - I’ll stop digging through old parts now....

;)

Glad you found a good solution

BK

johnmdesigner
05-26-2018, 06:14 PM
OK - I’ll stop digging through old parts now....

;)

Glad you found a good solution

BK

Thank you Bruce!
I appreciate it.