PDA

View Full Version : what should i do

longlist
05-23-2018, 12:44 PM
i bought a new bike from a dealer in chicago. the shop said the frame is lost. at least thats what the company has said. i have gotten production updates all thru the process. and i really liked that. i even was given the tracking number. but now fedex is showing its pending and they dont have any other info. im really unhappy and not sure if i should cancel this and find something else. have them keep trying to find it. have them make a new one for me. kid of lost here as I've never had something like this happen before. and this is my first new bike in many years and not buying one right then and there in the shop.

fignon's barber
05-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Where is it lost from? Europe? If so, it could be "lost" for a couple more months. If US, give it another week, then cancel if it doesn't arrive.

old fat man
05-23-2018, 12:53 PM
Sounds like the dealer/shop should provide you with something from their current inventory until your frame arrives or a new one is built to replace this "lost" one. Cost of being a retailer for custom or made to order bikes.

If the frame supplier wants to salvage their relationship with this shop, they'll reimburse the shop for the loaner, but that's up to the shop and frame supplier to work out.

longlist
05-23-2018, 12:57 PM
the frame was custom made in britain. the shop is not a big shop. he doesn't "stock" bikes. he's been around a long time and does only custom bikes and wheels. i have a bike but i am disappointed that fedex lost my bike frame. the company said 3 other peoples bikes are lost with mine so im not the only one but it really hurts since its summer and beautiful riding weather hear along the lake

Kontact
05-23-2018, 01:03 PM
I don't see how the bike shop has a responsibility to provide a bicycle.

The frame is not "lost" until FedEx says it is by paying the lost package claim that will provide your replacement or refund. Chances are the frame is stuck in customs.

What does FedEx say? Are they ready to say it will never be delivered?

Stuff happens. If you wanted this bike in the first place for years of riding, then it is worth replacing it with another one.

mhespenheide
05-23-2018, 01:09 PM
"Pending" what?

"Pending pickup" means that, according to FedEx, a label has been generated but that they haven't received the item (bike) yet. If that's the case, it's still the shop's responsibility.

charliedid
05-23-2018, 01:15 PM
I'd think it's just delayed for some reason. How long since the last update from Fedex?

rain dogs
05-23-2018, 01:16 PM
80%+ it is stuck in customs.

How long have you been waiting since it was marked as shipped/picked up?

Also, it's very likely it'll arrive at your door before any of the domestic progress updates are updated. I'd also expect FedEx to show up with a big invoice.... what's the customs duty on bike frames to the USA? 6% no?

vqdriver
05-23-2018, 01:16 PM
that's a real bummer.
i think the first step is to let the fedex thing play out. between the builder and you, nothing's been delivered yet so it's still on the the builder/shop to sort out. if it's insured then they can file a claim.
if it is indeed lost, then i'm sure the builder will move you (and the others) up to the front of the queue. dimensions and such will all be fresh so shouldn't be nearly the same wait as it was the first time around. you may be afforded an opportunity to rethink custom options as well, such as paint, braze ons, etc.

i'm not seeing where the shop needs to provide any type of loaner....

David Kirk
05-23-2018, 01:20 PM
So they shipped the box and you got a tracking number and that showed it started the trip. Then it went silent and the tracking shows no further progress?

If that's right how long has it been in limbo?

Have you called Fed Ex to ask where it is? If you haven't call the 800# and just keep saying "rep" into the phone at every prompt. You'll say it a few times but in short order they will connect you with a real live rep an you can give that person the tracking number and see what they say.

dave

longlist
05-23-2018, 02:22 PM
the box was shipped by fedex. there are 2 of them. the fedex tracking information shows it shipping. it shows it arriving in the us in boston. then everything stops. I've called fedex. the shop has called fedex. the company has called fedex. its now been almost 10 days and fedex says they are looking for it. it started as it was awaiting customs clearing. customs said it cleared and was awaiting transfer to memphis. at one point they said it still could be in england. now they are saying its lost between boston and memphis. the company had to give them pictures of everything as well as descriptions of everything in the boxes. according to fedex they won't handle any claims until they deem they have exhausted every attempt to find the boxes. i'm just trying to decide who i should be pissed off at more and if i should wait. they offered to fast track a frame for me. they offered to loan one to me. i dont know what to do.

Salty
05-23-2018, 02:31 PM
the box was shipped by fedex. there are 2 of them. the fedex tracking information shows it shipping. it shows it arriving in the us in boston. then everything stops. I've called fedex. the shop has called fedex. the company has called fedex. its now been almost 10 days and fedex says they are looking for it. it started as it was awaiting customs clearing. customs said it cleared and was awaiting transfer to memphis. at one point they said it still could be in england. now they are saying its lost between boston and memphis. the company had to give them pictures of everything as well as descriptions of everything in the boxes. according to fedex they won't handle any claims until they deem they have exhausted every attempt to find the boxes. i'm just trying to decide who i should be pissed off at more and if i should wait. they offered to fast track a frame for me. they offered to loan one to me. i dont know what to do.

Why would you be angry with anyone other than FedEx?

I would accept the offer of a loaner and a fast tracked frame replacement as opposed to starting the process of finding a bike over from scratch if it were me, but hopefully it just turns up soon. I’m sure FedEx is motivated to find it...

Kontact
05-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Personally, I would chill for a bit and wait. If you go down the road of loaners and fast tracks you'll just end up with more BS to deal with in the future. Find out when FedEx is going to declare it officially lost. On that date, ask the builder to fast track the replacement.

That's me - I have more than one bike and the screwing around is more likely to make everything feel less fun than a bike that shows up 2 weeks late.

And FedEx (or US Customs) are the only people that did anything wrong.

ckorbey
05-23-2018, 04:55 PM
Man, that really stinks. There's nothing worst than waiting for something special, only to have it delayed or lost in shipping.

While it's not bike related, my company sells and ships one-off printed items from music tours worldwide. Last week a customer was furious that her framed canvas print shipped to her home in Ontario from California, but the UPS tracking updates stopped updating once it hit customs in Canada.

After 11 days of her (very understandable) fury, the package mysteriously arrived at her doorstep via Canadian Post. Our customer service team, and the shipping director of the printing facility spent countless frustrating hours being bounced between UPS, USPS and Canada Post. And even though we spent hours of unpaid time calling around on her behalf, we lost a very good customer.

All this to say, I'm totally bummed for you. And the situation will most likely work itself out after a completely warranted bit of frustration and anxiety on your part.

In the mean time, I'd ride the **** out of whatever bike is in your garage... And dedicate some time to cursing at FedEx. Not because they lost something, but because saying things like "we won't give a refund until we've exhausted every possible option" is crappy, open ended, close minded customer service.

(quietly steps down from soapbox)

longlist
05-23-2018, 05:44 PM
after mike called them and politely yelled at them they are saying it is in the us and is in the memphis facility. they dont know where but its not in boston and not in england. they are still looking and will let him know in the next 24 hours what they find. and they are asking boston to search their facility too to make sure its not there. but they said it moved on from boston to memphis. but the website tracking doesn't say that. it still says boston. just very frustrating.

Kontact
05-23-2018, 06:55 PM
Man, that really stinks. There's nothing worst than waiting for something special, only to have it delayed or lost in shipping.

While it's not bike related, my company sells and ships one-off printed items from music tours worldwide. Last week a customer was furious that her framed canvas print shipped to her home in Ontario from California, but the UPS tracking updates stopped updating once it hit customs in Canada.

After 11 days of her (very understandable) fury, the package mysteriously arrived at her doorstep via Canadian Post. Our customer service team, and the shipping director of the printing facility spent countless frustrating hours being bounced between UPS, USPS and Canada Post. And even though we spent hours of unpaid time calling around on her behalf, we lost a very good customer.

All this to say, I'm totally bummed for you. And the situation will most likely work itself out after a completely warranted bit of frustration and anxiety on your part.

In the mean time, I'd ride the **** out of whatever bike is in your garage... And dedicate some time to cursing at FedEx. Not because they lost something, but because saying things like "we won't give a refund until we've exhausted every possible option" is crappy, open ended, close minded customer service.

(quietly steps down from soapbox)

UPS international is a bad idea.

Bruce K
05-23-2018, 08:01 PM
We had very good luck tracking down a Bikeflights box when the local FedEx Ground driver failed to deliver due to a “weather exception” (it was sunny and warm)!

The next day a truck showed up with the delivery order but no box!
The woman we spoke to in North Reading, MA was exceptional - called drivers & found the box, then arranged for after window hours pick up.

You just need to find the right FedEx rep and everything will work out.

Good luck,

BK

Peter P.
05-23-2018, 08:20 PM
The dealer in Chicago is responsible to make you whole because you paid HIM money for the frame. It's his responsibility to beat up Fedex.

I agree with all the cooler heads here that suggest a customs snafu.

If you at least want some sort of known endgame on this, come to an agreement with the shop in Chicago on when you both call it quits on waiting and move on to Plan B.

Unfortunately, these are the kinds of problems that cause me to always suggest buying a custom frame from the U.S. vs. another country.

Peter P.
05-23-2018, 08:21 PM
The dealer in Chicago is responsible to make you whole because you paid HIM money for the frame. It's his responsibility to beat up Fedex.

I agree with all the cooler heads here that suggest a customs snafu.

If you at least want some sort of known endgame on this, come to an agreement with the shop in Chicago on when you both call it quits on waiting and move on to Plan B. I think 30 days would be a reasonable timetable.

Unfortunately, these are the kinds of problems that cause me to always suggest buying a custom frame from the U.S. vs. another country.

longlist
05-23-2018, 08:48 PM
i went with this shop cause i like the owner. he's very nice and not a d!ck to people. very helpful and an excellent mechanic. i went with this bike cause i liked the looks, options and it wasn't the same as everyone else in the area. i wasn't worried about the company making the bike especially since they were always communicating with the shop and i. constant updates. pictures. questions were answered right away and they gave me the design and finish design for us to go over. mike even visited chicago to go thru things and help with the fitting. spent along time with me. very nice guy. im not mad at them. just mad in general since everything is going on. i know once its out of their hands its on fedex. it just really hurts. for the one person who said this is the reason not to buy outside of america, even if i did they'd still have to make up a new one. id still have to wait. fedex could still lose it. the location where its made doesn't matter honestly.

gemship
05-23-2018, 09:05 PM
i went with this shop cause i like the owner. he's very nice and not a d!ck to people. very helpful and an excellent mechanic. i went with this bike cause i liked the looks, options and it wasn't the same as everyone else in the area. i wasn't worried about the company making the bike especially since they were always communicating with the shop and i. constant updates. pictures. questions were answered right away and they gave me the design and finish design for us to go over. mike even visited chicago to go thru things and help with the fitting. spent along time with me. very nice guy. im not mad at them. just mad in general since everything is going on. i know once its out of their hands its on fedex. it just really hurts. for the one person who said this is the reason not to buy outside of america, even if i did they'd still have to make up a new one. id still have to wait. fedex could still lose it. the location where its made doesn't matter honestly.

I agree and it sounds like you got a good handle on things plus you gotta right to be frustrated with this. After all buying a new bike is supposed to be a fun experience. Be patient with FedEx but hold them accountable. You did say you have another bike?...and it's really nice weather for riding. Maybe do something to spruce up that current ride. New bar wrap, maybe double bar wrap and some new tires? I dunno what to say except if you got a bike then that's better than no bike for now.

Last year I was having problems with a motorcycle that I was fixing/troubleshooting after work hours and in hast I bought a old vintage bike at a affordable price from a dealer with the promise that it was all set ready to roll. I bought to satisfy a urge for that vintage two stroke experience as well as be a back up bike for my other one that needed fixing. Well turned out the new one wasn't quite all set. So I know how you feel. Looking back on it my plan didn't work out. I had fun with the second bike albeit lots of messing around spending money and learning about it. Still learning about it LOL. I kinda have to not recommend throwing too much money at the N+1 scenario but if you have the means it wouldn't hurt to have a back up bike. At any rate Good luck.

longlist
05-29-2018, 09:42 PM
i found out that fedex found one of the two boxes they lost for my builder. my frame and fork was lucky enough to be in the found box. i feel bad for the other buyers/riders who still has lost items. but mine is safe and soon on the way to the shop.

Salty
05-29-2018, 09:58 PM
Nice.

Now that there’s a positive outcome, what’s the bike and when will we see pictures? ;)

longlist
05-30-2018, 09:42 AM
i dont know how to post pictures on here. but i am getting an enigma evade. it was custom for me. the stock size was close but since they offer custom i got a little longer headtube so i dont have as many spacers or the stem flipped up. i even had some of the logos removed which was a neat thing.

AngryScientist
05-30-2018, 09:51 AM
i dont know how to post pictures on here. .

you should review this thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=187770

Tickdoc
05-30-2018, 09:55 AM
i dont know how to post pictures on here. but i am getting an enigma evade. it was custom for me. the stock size was close but since they offer custom i got a little longer headtube so i dont have as many spacers or the stem flipped up. i even had some of the logos removed which was a neat thing.

Am I crazy or were there past shipping debacles form them?

Hope you get your bike soon.

longlist
05-30-2018, 09:59 AM
thank you for the link. I will figure it out. I don’t know about any other shipping problems. the shop here has had a long history with the guy but he is newer to the brand. but he was also called something else before so he is new with a bunch of brands now. he likes to reinvent his shop and business model.