PDA

View Full Version : Bar Tape - slippery when wet.

simplemind
05-22-2018, 05:15 PM
I thought I had found bar tape nirvana with the Lizard Skins DSP 3.2. Very cushy, nice feel when dry, but there's the rub. Once my sweaty paws do their thing, that nice grip fails.
So, the question is, what is the best tape you've found for cushion AND wet?

vqdriver
05-22-2018, 05:25 PM
try supacaz silicone?

FlashUNC
05-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Gloves?

EDS
05-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Arundel Gecko Grip works for me.

simplemind
05-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Gloves?

Sure, they do help, however those little radiators really do help cool the blood, at least it feels like they do. So when it's 90* and 70% I need all the cool I can get so I prefer to go gloveless.

simplemind
05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Arundel Gecko Grip works for me.

Which one? I see the Synthetic, Fur, and Rubber in their lineup.

fignon's barber
05-25-2018, 01:33 PM
Surprisingly, I have found that the best grip when wet can be had with the basic, cheapest Fizik Classic microtex tape. It seems to get grippier the wetter it gets. Plus, it is the easiest to clean.

ckorbey
05-25-2018, 01:57 PM
+1 for Fizik Classic. I'm pretty sweaty and use it on all of my drop bar bikes. And I'm hoarding a small stash of celeste in my garage. FWIW, I don't ride with gloves unless it's cold or I'm racing.

EDS
05-25-2018, 02:09 PM
Which one? I see the Synthetic, Fur, and Rubber in their lineup.

Their is a fourth version called "Gecko Grip", which is what I have been using:

https://www.arundelbike.com/product/gecko-grip/

jtbadge
05-25-2018, 02:22 PM
Fizik Classic Touch is the answer to all bartape-related questions.

simplemind
05-25-2018, 02:27 PM
Love or hate, gotta admit he has panache! Bobke (https://youtu.be/B9Vl06CB-0Q) on bar tape.

zennmotion
05-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Zevlin bar tape can still be found online, although they are discontinuing their bar tape. Their "Big 40" (4cm wide) was the greatest stuff, I'm hoarding it now but their narrower Z-attack (normal 2.5cm) is made of the same stuff and it's still the best I've ever used IMO, grippy but not sticky when wet- I like it especially since I ride with no gloves, it's great for CX and longer than most so great for wide or deep drop bars. The wide version is/was nice because you can wrap it thick, a nice in-between for gravel bikes where double tape is too thick. You can still find a few sources for the Big 40, but limited colors (I can't find black) and disappearing quickly. Z attack is still available but will also disappear eventually. My second favorite, since nobody mentioned it yet is Cinelli Volee, also a nice grippy but not sticky tape, lots of colors and availability. But I'd buy a few rolls of the Zevlin and put them in on a shelf.

Edit: Cinelli Volee actually comes only black or white it seems. Still, you better have the legs do your talking if you choose any other colors emeyerite? :cool:

zennmotion
05-25-2018, 06:37 PM
Surprisingly, I have found that the best grip when wet can be had with the basic, cheapest Fizik Classic microtex tape. It seems to get grippier the wetter it gets. Plus, it is the easiest to clean.

Not my experience. Durable and good colors though!

weisan
05-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Simple pal, I go gloveless as well, been doing that for 30 years. The $2 a piece black cork tape I get from eBay China sellers works fine, both dry and wet. Durable as well. It's just cork.