PDA

View Full Version : Could I run a 110 BCD road crank on a MTB

echappist
05-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Say I do the set-up as a 1x, with 34T chainring where the 50T should be, could this set-up work? The bike has a BB92 pressfit system. Perhaps there might be sufficient spindle length to clear ~95 mm of the BB (and cups) and have enough for the NDS crank to attach?

sandyrs
05-22-2018, 01:20 PM
If I remember correctly, that BB system is a wider version of Shimano BB86, and I don't think you'd have enough spindle length on most road cranks to make it work. The SRAM wide axle Rival crank would work though.

Mark McM
05-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Surely, you can get a 34 tooth chainring that would fit on an MTB crank?

echappist
05-22-2018, 02:34 PM
If I remember correctly, that BB system is a wider version of Shimano BB86, and I don't think you'd have enough spindle length on most road cranks to make it work. The SRAM wide axle Rival crank would work though.

thanks for pointing that out. The wide axle was just the thing I had in mind. 125 mm might just clear the chainstays, especially as I'm going with short cranks.

issue is dearth of MTB powermeters. I've had bad experiences with Quarq, and Stages has issues.

Rotor would be nice, but it is boost only (my frame is non-boost). All the other options (a MTB SRM) are quite expensive, whereas a road SRM can be bought for $500. I'll just need to buy a Sram road crankset with wide axles, and voila

Mark McM
05-22-2018, 03:19 PM
Power2Max makes crank-based power meters that fit MTB frames. They generally have a good reputation, and they aren't super expensive (they start at 490 Euros).

https://www.power2max.com/en/

sandyrs
05-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Power2Max makes crank-based power meters that fit MTB frames. They generally have a good reputation, and they aren't super expensive (they start at 490 Euros).

https://www.power2max.com/en/

This would be my choice as well.

echappist
05-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Unfortunately out of stock, and their mtb meters cost about 1100, on par with getting old stm