PDA

View Full Version : Rock Lobster moving shop

CMiller
05-22-2018, 02:05 AM
https://rocklobstershop.blogspot.com/2018/05/22-years.html

" I have moved the shop several times before so this is not something I have no experience with. Many people have volunteered to help and make the move easier for me- I am very thankful for all the offers and no doubt will benefit from all the generosity. I'll be listing some stuff for sale- materials and maybe some bikes as well- all will be priced to go- money to offset the cost of moving and inevitable downtime.

While I am not happy that I am moving I do feel that there's a good chance I'll find a good spot with less stress from the powers that be. I also do not regret in any way my time here and consider it incredible good fortune that I had a chance to spend the bulk of my professional life here. I'll miss this place- a lengthy chapter is now coming to a close and a new one is beginning."

Santa Cruz is going through a big transition, sad to see Paul being moved out. I hope he finds a new spot quick and can keep his great pricing. Until then keep an eye out on possible deals to help fund his move!

Lionel
05-22-2018, 04:01 AM
It sucks, sounds like they raised the rent on him significantly or are trying to get him out. I hope he finds another spot pronto. Great affordable frames.

nobuseri
05-22-2018, 05:04 AM
Here’s to hoping he can find an affordable spot soon. His prices are very competitive and I hope they can stay that way.

sfghbiker
05-22-2018, 08:46 AM
my rock lobster frame is great. I really liked going down there to get fitted and measured and then hanging out when I picked it up. According to his blog he is looking at a number of local spots so hopefully will stay in the area. might be a good idea if you are the one fence to call him up and put down a deposit to show support. really a good builder.

FlashUNC
05-22-2018, 09:21 AM
He's one of the best and that shop is/was unreal to visit. Just so much cool stuff.

When I went to pick up my frame a couple years ago from Paul we were chatting and he made clear, like in his blog, that his and a number of businesses in that center benefitted from a manager who got that making a buck was important, but not at the expense of great tenants.

raygunner
05-22-2018, 10:08 AM
I visited the shop in 2014 when I rode from SF to LA. It was super cool!

Wishing him the best with moving since it's always a PITA.

Clean39T
05-22-2018, 10:32 AM
He's one of the best and that shop is/was unreal to visit. Just so much cool stuff.

When I went to pick up my frame a couple years ago from Paul we were chatting and he made clear, like in his blog, that his and a number of businesses in that center benefitted from a manager who got that making a buck was important, but not at the expense of great tenants.

I've seen this type of predatory landlord action in Portland all over the place. New developers come in and buy up properties. They raise rents. Old anchor tenants leave. New tenants come in with VC money (or Daddy's checkbook) and buildout a fancy new space. Six-months later the store specializing in custom chopsticks is out of business. The space sits vacant for months, maybe years, earning no rental income, but giving the developer a nice tax write-off. Meanwhile, the original business struggles to attract traffic in its new location out in BFE where it can afford rent.

#progress

cinema
05-22-2018, 12:36 PM
I've seen this type of predatory landlord action in Portland all over the place. New developers come in and buy up properties. They raise rents. Old anchor tenants leave. New tenants come in with VC money (or Daddy's checkbook) and buildout a fancy new space. Six-months later the store specializing in custom chopsticks is out of business. The space sits vacant for months, maybe years, earning no rental income, but giving the developer a nice tax write-off. Meanwhile, the original business struggles to attract traffic in its new location out in BFE where it can afford rent.

#progress

bingo. PDX enjoying a little bit of that LA stupidity and greed. eventually they'll get tired of revolving door tenants and sell to an overseas investor before finding the next up and coming neighborhood to destroy

Dave B
05-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Move to the midwest, nice people, crappy weather and cheap living.

weaponsgrade
05-22-2018, 01:12 PM
That sucks. His shop exudes a cool artsy vibe. It's packed from floor to ceiling with stuff and memorabilia. There's bike clutter everywhere. It's awesome. I hope he's able to find another space.

fignon's barber
05-22-2018, 01:33 PM
Move to the midwest, nice people, crappy weather and cheap living.

Having lived in the Midwest for 18 years, you pretty well summed it up.

thwart
05-22-2018, 02:52 PM
That is a well written blog post.

Makes me want a Rock Lobster.

And... true dat about the Midwest... although this time of the year it's not far from heaven.

ceya
05-22-2018, 06:41 PM
This is happening on both coast, sad alot of people are being priced out by landlord and cities who changed their zoning laws .

S/F,
Ceya!