PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Late Night Craigslist Purchase

duff_duffy
05-21-2018, 11:23 PM
While you were all reading the forums I scored the ultimate Craigslist purchase. A 100% original Haro Master purchased within an hour of being posted. No rust, no cracks. Granted it has rim brakes, weighs 20 plus pounds, 20 inch wheels, and serious toe overlap and will hurt me as I try to relive my youth. I seriously have a bike problem. Just sold 4 of my big boy bikes to pay medical bills but just could not resist this old school beauty! Photos coming soon! My apologies to the other guy that was supposed to pick up tomorrow morning, but was told he was not a Paceline:). Now time to figure out how to dial in a gyro and Dia-Comp’s center pull brakes...

Davist
05-22-2018, 04:56 AM
Cool! Gyro's are flakey, be patient, I always went with the extra long rear cable but you have to unwind after tailwhips.. One of the original ones made by torker or later version? Green? waiting for pix..

pbarry
05-22-2018, 07:48 AM
What a rush! Nice find.

Hank Scorpio
05-22-2018, 08:03 AM
Is it a gyro or ACS rotor? I think the rotor would be period correct. Maybe post it up on https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/ for a more definitive response. What kind of wheels? I think Haros of that time we’re the first to use the Peregrine five spoke mags as opposed to the the Skyway tuff mags.

duff_duffy
05-22-2018, 07:49 PM
As promised! Just fixed the paws on the freewheel and ready to channel the spirit of Dennis McCoy....

pbarry
05-22-2018, 08:11 PM
What kid didn't ride that?? Super score!

pjbaz
05-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Serial # will be on the inside dropout and first two should be 87 (maybe 88 but I forget the subtle differences offhand). Absolutely a Gyro and it is correct for that machine. Looks to be 100% original and in great shape. IF you scored that for less than 5 bills you did an amazing job, if you picked it for less than 7 or so you still did well - although my numbers may be a bit out of date.

Can you snap a shot of a brake lever for me? Wondering if they're Tech 7s or not. IF so (they're identifiable by the "puzzle piece" connection) I'd consider swapping them out if you plan to ride it bc they're known to snap and they're wicked expensive to replace.

Honestly, in that condition I'd sell it, take the profit and buy a new school or old beater and still have loot left over for the family

duff_duffy
05-23-2018, 07:39 PM
Here is brake levers, lockouts still work!

Serial # will be on the inside dropout and first two should be 87 (maybe 88 but I forget the subtle differences offhand). Absolutely a Gyro and it is correct for that machine. Looks to be 100% original and in great shape. IF you scored that for less than 5 bills you did an amazing job, if you picked it for less than 7 or so you still did well - although my numbers may be a bit out of date.

Can you snap a shot of a brake lever for me? Wondering if they're Tech 7s or not. IF so (they're identifiable by the "puzzle piece" connection) I'd consider swapping them out if you plan to ride it bc they're known to snap and they're wicked expensive to replace.

Honestly, in that condition I'd sell it, take the profit and buy a new school or old beater and still have loot left over for the family

pjbaz
05-23-2018, 09:34 PM
Nope, those aren't the expensive ones. Ride them if you wish, but that bike is worth some loot :banana:

Davist
05-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Pull the handlebars back before you ride, they're all "Chicago" style, which washes out in turns, slightly before vertical to inline with forks works better, but you probably already know this.. Looks great, like the color, 48s so "mid" school, right?

Hank Scorpio
05-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Looks like the 48’s are worth some cash on their own. I remember ditching the peregrine five spoke mags on mine for some blue z-rims. And lord help you if you happen slip off those fold down fork stands on the Sport model. I still have a scar on my shin from those.

duff_duffy
05-24-2018, 11:27 AM
I got the same scars on my shins!

Brian Smith
05-24-2018, 10:40 PM
The tech 7 levers are shorter length, and the "puzzle piece" attachment to the bars would be present on the later tech 77 levers, if my memory serves...

I concur with Davist about remedying that bar angle adjustment, but vertical is OK for flatland and street-ish use and preserves "old man behind the handlebar" room.

I'd put some wider platform pedals on it to avoid rolling those stock placeholders under your shoes while you reacclimate... Very easy to find such a pedal these days, unlike back in that bike's day when real DXs were already pricey.