PDA

View Full Version : NYC Quesitons

livingminimal
05-21-2018, 09:58 PM
Coming to NYC on a Wednesday evening in July I think from DC. Going to stay just one night, would love to start my Thursday morning before I set out to explore the city the rest of the day (taking a late train back to DC is likely) for just an hour or two with an RCC rental. Ideally, back and ready to go explore from 10am until I have to go to the station.
I posted on the RCC Forum but didn't get a response.

Few questions:

-Any decent Thursday morning group rolls? Not into the park hot laps listed on the RCC app for regular rides.
-How hard would it be to get a ride through and out of the city done in two hours? Anyone have a good GPX file to share?
-How is riding a bike in the city these days? It's been a decade since I've been there.
-Decent hotel in soho or around WSP that wont break the bank for a weeknight?

Thanks-

fiamme red
05-21-2018, 10:11 PM
How hard would it be to get a ride through and out of the city done in two hours? Anyone have a good GPX file to share?If you start from SoHo, you could ride up to the George Washington Bridge, cross and recross it, and return through Manhattan in two hours. Or you could cross the GWB, ride down the NJ side to Hoboken, and take the PATH back to the city.

VoyTirando
05-21-2018, 10:22 PM
... you can get the River Road loop in from Soho. Same thing as poster above, but get a beautiful ride up the Hudson along the river through actual forest, lots of actual hills, on a road with few cars, followed by a fast ride back down to the bridge and back down through the city. Worth it.

verticaldoug
05-22-2018, 05:21 AM
I'd ride to High Bridge, cross the bridge and take the paths through to Van Cortlandt Park. I'd then ride down Broadway under the elevate tracks from Horace Mann (238th st to 218th st) then cross over on dyckman's (Fort Tyron, you can ride up to the cloisters for views) and take the path along the river home.

Riding under the tracks will fry your senses. Watch the car chase in French Connection first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzEloJ5venk

Bob Ross
05-22-2018, 08:46 AM
... you can get the River Road loop in from Soho.

^^^This. Best ~25 mile ride within walking distance (literally) of Manhattan.

Of course, from Soho it's a ~35 mile ride with an hour of junk miles on either end.

You could post on the New York Cycle Club message board (https://nycc.org/message-board/forums/message-board) to ask if the A/D-SIG crew is still leading their usual Thursday morning River Road ride in July.

BobbyJones
05-22-2018, 09:04 AM
I'd ride to High Bridge, cross the bridge and take the paths through to Van Cortlandt Park. I'd then ride down Broadway under the elevate tracks from Horace Mann (238th st to 218th st) then cross over on dyckman's (Fort Tyron, you can ride up to the cloisters for views) and take the path along the river home.

Although High Bridge is cool, I'm not so sure this is the best route for a tourist on a limited time schedule. But that's just my opinion.

Depending on your appetite for city streets and desire to get out of the city, like others suggested I'd head north on the West Side Greenway, over the GWB onto Henry Hudson Drive and turn around at Ross Dock to stick within your time limit. It'll give you a taste of the contrast of City / Forest that we get to enjoy with some great views. It's mostly an uninterrupted route with no lights and car traffic allowing you to enjoy a decent pace.

Come back the way you came, or to mix it up with a little more time involved, head over to the east side of the island for an island circle (http://www.nycbikemaps.com/maps/manhattan-waterfront-greenway-bike-map/)

If you've got other interests or need a route file for something, just holler.

R3awak3n
05-22-2018, 09:28 AM
I agree, a little more time and go do river road which is very nice. Otherwise I would just do central park, west side path, manhattan bridge, then into brooklyn and a couple laps around prospect.

Ridding a bike in the city is fine, same as a few years ago. Gets chaotic sometimes, but that is part of the fun to me :)

tctyres
05-22-2018, 10:08 AM
^^^This. Best ~25 mile ride within walking distance (literally) of Manhattan.

Of course, from Soho it's a ~35 mile ride with an hour of junk miles on either end.

You could post on the New York Cycle Club message board (https://nycc.org/message-board/forums/message-board) to ask if the A/D-SIG crew is still leading their usual Thursday morning River Road ride in July.

AFAIK, Sully, Johel, Fred et al are going to do this. I'm probably going to pick it up this week.

Ken Robb
05-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Coming to NYC on a Wednesday evening in July I think from DC. Going to stay just one night, would love to start my Thursday morning before I set out to explore the city the rest of the day (taking a late train back to DC is likely) for just an hour or two with an RCC rental. Ideally, back and ready to go explore from 10am until I have to go to the station.
I posted on the RCC Forum but didn't get a response.

Few questions:

-Any decent Thursday morning group rolls? Not into the park hot laps listed on the RCC app for regular rides.
-How hard would it be to get a ride through and out of the city done in two hours? Anyone have a good GPX file to share?
-How is riding a bike in the city these days? It's been a decade since I've been there.
-Decent hotel in soho or around WSP that wont break the bank for a weeknight?

Thanks-

What is an RCC rental? Will you have a check-out time late enough for you to shower after your ride?

livingminimal
05-22-2018, 11:48 AM
What is an RCC rental? Will you have a check-out time late enough for you to shower after your ride?

Rapha Cycling Club has inexpensive rentals of nice canyons for members for when we travel.

I am beginning to think a ride is too ambitious. Perhaps just coffee at the RCC and off to explore some more. I'd like to get a museum visit in as well as a few other things.

fiamme red
05-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Rapha Cycling Club has inexpensive rentals of nice canyons for members for when we travel.

I am beginning to think a ride is too ambitious. Perhaps just coffee at the RCC and off to explore some more. I'd like to get a museum visit in as well as a few other things.If you only have two hours for a ride, I think you'd be better off using the free time to explore a museum or visit some other interesting places.

livingminimal
05-22-2018, 11:59 AM
If you only have two hours for a ride, I think you'd be better off using the free time to explore a museum or visit some other interesting places.

Thats what Im thinking too. It looks like my train is going to head out at 5:30pm on Thursday evening. Not much time to waste.

Thanks to everyone for the contribution.

Seamus
05-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Yeah, the fact of the matter is in NYC there's a lot of junk miles no matter what. It's either Central or Prospect Park loops for time-efficient rides, or Hudson River Greenway-->River Road (or conversely you could do a Jamaica Bay loop if based in Brooklyn) if you've got more time and want a traditional-feeling road ride.

That said, grabbing a coffee, renting a Citibike and cruising down the West side on the greenway is pleasant and a good way to sight-see.

donalrey
05-22-2018, 12:17 PM
depending where in lower Manhattan you're staying - just to get to GWB is about a 40 min trek. I don't think you'll have enough time. Laps or riding around the city is your best option.

thegunner
05-22-2018, 01:08 PM
the better question is... what size bike do you ride? ;)

livingminimal
05-22-2018, 01:25 PM
That said, grabbing a coffee, renting a Citibike and cruising down the West side on the greenway is pleasant and a good way to sight-see.

I think this is the path to victory here!

the better question is... what size bike do you ride?

58/59 depending. XL in the Rapha Canyons.

fiamme red
05-22-2018, 01:35 PM
If you haven't been to NYC in 10 years, you may enjoy walking the High Line. It's a big tourist attraction, and depending on the time of day, it can be pretty crowded.

You could combine that with a visit to the Whitney Museum at the south end, or to the Chelsea Market, a few blocks north of the south end.

AngryScientist
05-22-2018, 01:38 PM
couple hours to ride in NYC?

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/62279031/wohhhhh-fugetaboutit.jpg

by the time the Rapha store opens and they actually get a bike under your ass, you'd only have enough time to log some stressful junk miles getting out of soho.

citibike idea to cruise around a bit is not a bad one, but i wouldnt bother renting a road bike if you've only got a bit of time, just not worth it with all the other stuff to do/see here.

AngryScientist
05-22-2018, 01:39 PM
oh, if you're into shopping, that area of soho where the rapha store is located is pretty nice, bit there isnt anything special about the rapha store itself to warrant a special trip - especially if you've been to a rapha store before. the one in SM is nicer.

MerckxMad
05-22-2018, 01:44 PM
You'll kill rush hour just getting to a decent spot to ride. Sit on the upper deck of a Big Apple Bus or take a free ferry ride to Staten Island and back, or a stroll through CP for an hour outdoors in NYC.

rallizes
05-22-2018, 01:47 PM
I'd try to pick up the RCC bike before close the night before so you can set out early the next morning if you are def getting a Canyon

PQJ
05-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Rent a Citibike and just noodle around the city at a leisurely pace, sampling its many delights. Good riding in Central Park super early but short of that it is horrendous if you are a "cyclist" and getting out of the city to where it is good is a PITA, especially if you are pressed for time.

thegunner
05-22-2018, 02:05 PM
58/59 depending. XL in the Rapha Canyons.

i am of no help here :(

fiamme red
05-22-2018, 02:12 PM
I'd much rather walk (or take a subway) than ride a Citi Bike. I agree with Seamus and wallymann about how badly they handle:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2361682&postcount=26.

fiamme red
05-22-2018, 03:16 PM
I'd much rather walk (or take a subway) than ride a Citi Bike. I agree with Seamus and wallymann about how badly they handle:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2361682&postcount=26.On the other hand, some people would disagree: https://nypost.com/2018/05/22/bikers-are-pulling-off-insane-stunts-with-citibikes/.

livingminimal
05-22-2018, 03:47 PM
All this help is awesome.
I used to spend a lot of time in the city in my first career. couple/few times per year for about a decade. I've got a few places I want to hit if possible.
Rapha
A museum (Met or Guggenheim, even for a couple of hours, would be top choices)
More coffee
Vegan food.
Washington Square and Tompkins Square Parks
Record Shopping
Book Stores (housing works maybe)
More coffee

fiamme red
05-22-2018, 03:57 PM
All this help is awesome.
I used to spend a lot of time in the city in my first career. couple/few times per year for about a decade. I've got a few places I want to hit if possible.
Rapha
A museum (Met or Guggenheim, even for a couple of hours, would be top choices)
More coffee
Vegan food.
Washington Square and Tompkins Square Parks
Record Shopping
Book Stores (housing works maybe)
More coffeeThere are a few record stores in Greenwich Village, including Village Music World on Bleecker, which happens to be next door to Porto Rico Importing Company, where you can get good coffee (though there is no seating inside). Generation Records is a few blocks away on Thompson.

Seamus
05-22-2018, 04:22 PM
Coffee:
Ground Support just south of Rapha on W. Broadway
Third Rail near Washington Square (3rd Street/Sullivan)

Museum:
I'd go Guggenheim if constrained on time. The Met can be overwhelming to me, especially if tighter on time. The new Whitney is a nice size, plus you can pair that with a West side greenway bike ride/Highline/Chelsea Market visit as an alternative.

Vegan Food:
"Junky" vegan food I'd go to Superiority Burger on your visit to Tompkins Square Park. Cinnamon Snail if you are arriving/departing from Penn Station. Dirt Candy if you want a nice dinner.

Book Stores:
McNally Jackson off Prince/Lafayette near Housing Works

r_mutt
05-22-2018, 07:17 PM
it will take you 15-20 minutes to get up to Central Park from Soho. Why don't you pick up a bike the night before and then get out to Central Park at 6AM for a nice 1:30-2:00 ride? you will have lot's of company in the park and you can politlely latch onto one of the many trains. a great way to start the day. Coffee back at RCC and then start your sightseeing.