PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose - 2018 Orbea Orca vs Cervélo S3

thoreau
05-21-2018, 08:27 PM
Hello,

Narrowed down my options to an M20 Orbea Orca vs a Cervélo S3. Both will be full Ultegra.

I own a 2013 GRD Orca and love it to bits and have waited 5 years to upgrade. Money not too much of an issue. Have tried both bikes and geometry wise both are great fits. I’m in NorCal and frequently commute to work via cycling in lieu of driving for my dedicated office days as well as go on long group rides and occasional hill climbs.

Gathering opinions as I am at a loss and want both but wife would likely not be happy if I progress down that route.

Thanks!!

tiretrax
05-21-2018, 08:47 PM
I loved my Orca - until the lbs clamped the seat tube and cracked it. Now, I'm riding ti or Pegoretti.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2018, 07:06 AM
I loved my Orca - until the lbs clamped the seat tube and cracked it. Now, I'm riding ti or Pegoretti.

Hope the LBS bought you one of the above..copy to -'pal':eek:

I'd say Orbea, better company, IMHO..I had a genuine Sh__Show with cervelo and a warranty.

Veloo
05-22-2018, 07:30 AM
Interesting. My friend also went through a bad warranty experience with Cervelo.

Hope the LBS bought you one of the above..copy to -'pal':eek:

I'd say Orbea, better company, IMHO..I had a genuine Sh__Show with cervelo and a warranty.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Interesting. My friend also went through a bad warranty experience with Cervelo.

Something quite special with an inside guy at a company calling you a liar..really something..:eek:

Veloo
05-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Yeah, my friend's ordeal totally turned me off the brand even though I'm sure they make good bikes and I even live in the city where they reside.
Another friend had an issue with one of their proprietary seatposts a couple years ago. it didn't get nasty but I just thought it shoulda been resolved a lot faster and without as much inconvenience to my friend.

This probably isn't the type of feedback you had in mind but just things to consider as well.

stien
05-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Huh, I had the absolute opposite experience with Cervelo. 10 year old frame warrantied with zero hassle. Their bikes are great IMO, have had several. My wife still rides a new R3.

thoreau
05-22-2018, 10:29 PM
LBS says the same thing that Cervélo is really good about the warranty process. S3 also incredibly comfortable and leaning towards that slightly but hard to ignore the value of Orbea as less $ gets ty the same package in a lighter bike... not that that matters plus there’s brand loyalty and knowing that it’s absolutely something I would enjoy and love having owned one for years... decisions decisions!

Unpredictable
05-23-2018, 07:41 AM
Wow.....I would hardly consider a S3 a comfortable road frame....and if looking at the rim brake model, the tire clearance is very tight in the rear for 25mm tires on a wide rim.

Adam
05-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Check the derailleur hanger alignment fresh out of the box on the S 3 if that is a bike you are interested in. Super light hangers on the rim brake R and S models need significant alignment straight away because the frame isn't perfectly square in that place. Already weakened hanger will come out plane after normal use needing constant realignment and replacement. This has been our experience by a large margin. This process is what Cervelo maintains is acceptable and they will not replace frames with hangers that are not square from the outset.

Pm for further info if you wish.

Keith A
05-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Our local race team is on Orbea's and I'm pretty sure they are the Orca's. Most of these guys have quite a bit of time in the saddle on a number of bikes, and I can get their input if you are interested.

StephenCL
05-23-2018, 10:00 AM
I have built a couple Orca's for my brother in Law... excellent finish out the box. Rode great as well.

I would go that route.

Stephen

aellaguno
05-23-2018, 01:05 PM
Orbea all the way.... Way better "bling" factor....

Heisenberg
05-23-2018, 01:52 PM
From a brand perspective, Orbea's a much cooler marque. Aesthetically, it's a much more attractive package. If you're going the disc route...which you should...there was a lot of thought put into it.

I've not ridden a current-gen S3, but I have ridden an S5, and the Orca is a much better ride in almost all aspects save the aerodorking.

Keith A
05-23-2018, 02:06 PM
I texted one of the guys on the local race team, and they are on the new Orbea Orca and his comment was "Great bike. No complaints. Stiff but still comfy."

Mark McM
05-23-2018, 04:24 PM
From a brand perspective, Orbea's a much cooler marque. Aesthetically, it's a much more attractive package. If you're going the disc route...which you should...there was a lot of thought put into it.

I've not ridden a current-gen S3, but I have ridden an S5, and the Orca is a much better ride in almost all aspects save the aerodorking.

Did you ride the 1st generation (2012) S5, or the 2nd generation (2015) S5? They are completely different frames. The 1st gen. S5 definitely had a lot of ride deficiencies, but the 2nd gen. S5 rides and handles much better, and addressed nearly all the deficiencies of the 1st generation model. The current generation S3 is very similar to the 2nd generation S5 in most ride related aspects, except that the S3 has the standard Cervelo geometry, whereas the 2nd generation S5 has a lower stack height than most Cervelos.

thoreau
05-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Ye, test rode the S5 and was not a fan as i found the ride harsher than the S3. Tire clearance definitely a thing since my GP4S measures at 27 for a 25.

Orbea Orca aero seems like an interesting route to get the best of both worlds. Coming from an older Orca, I am well aware of the "firmness" of the ride but never found myself uncomfortable even after longish rides of 40+ miles.

Have a new wrinkle as my LBS just told me they could get me a Cervelo R5 for the same price. Not much for the bling factor but definitely like having a nicer bike since i tend to go with only one.

Arghh! Thanks for all the input btw guys.

Adam
05-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Re:S5 please see my original post .

stien
05-24-2018, 06:28 AM
I texted one of the guys on the local race team, and they are on the new Orbea Orca and his comment was "Great bike. No complaints. Stiff but still comfy."

I really think this about sums it up. Most new carbon from big manufacturers will fit this description and trying to split hairs about ride quality or performance is really diving in for no reason.

oldguy00
05-24-2018, 07:52 AM
I'll go against the grain and say, buy whichever you like the look of the most. For me, its the Cervelo.

Don't worry about warranty. Are you really going to be happy riding your 'second' choice, just because there is a better chance at having a good warranty experience, should that ever happen?

In my experience, including with Cervelo (and Trek, and Giant), warranty experience has a LOT to do with the LBS you are using, their relationship with the bike company, and how willing they are to go to bat for you. I know people who have had hassle free frame replacements from all the big companies, because they bought their bikes through authorized dealers who were willing to back them up.

Oh, and with regards to comfort, that has more to do with tire pressure than frame material/design. Please ignore the usual 'stiff yet complaint, corners on rails' comments. All these modern bikes ride great assuming you are using the correct size and have it setup properly.

Cheers